• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Bladenic

Xillia 2 become 200% better after chapter 9 , it's almost incredible.

I thought it became way better after chapter 7.

But yeah, the story is, like, REALLY good. Unless something terrible happens the story will certainly finish as the best of the series (and among best for the generation in JRPGs IMO). Just wish Ludger had a voice, but oh well. Elle is a really strong character for an 8 year old IMO.

Damn that boss was tough though. Fuck them for forcing Rowen on you. That old fool has the HP of a wet paper towel, if the boss sneezed at him he died.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Man, if that's the case, I should just finish Xillia 2 off after I finish off my playthrough of Uncharted. I left off between chapters 8 and 9, iirc? I don't remember. I just remember pouring 2 hours into learning how Gaius worked.

Buuut, I'm still playing SR3 with someone, and I have plans to play through Luigi's Mansion 2 with another person relatively soon.

Damn that boss was tough though. Fuck them for forcing Rowen on you. That old fool has the HP of a wet paper towel, if the boss sneezed at him he died.
Rowen is a glass cannon. Treat him well with his spellset and he can stunlock enemies easy.

Bladenic

Man, if that's the case, I should just finish Xillia 2 off after I finish off my playthrough of Uncharted. I left off between chapters 8 and 9, iirc? I don't remember. I just remember pouring 2 hours into learning how Gaius worked.

Buuut, I'm still playing SR3 with someone, and I have plans to play through Luigi's Mansion 2 with another person relatively soon.

Rowen is a glass cannon. Treat him well with his spellset and he can stunlock enemies easy.

Right, but the boss had no weaknesses and Rowen was just useless in the fight.

It was the same thing as Chapter 11 except there they gave you Alvin, the tank. Here they gave you Rowen against a boss with no weaknesses and you still had no healer.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
A good chunk of the earlier chapters are spent on world building and putting into place Ludger's place in the world. Once all that's done and out of the way it really hits its stride. I would say that this somewhat slow burn is a narrative problem but it works really well to how character relationships and developments payoff.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Right, but the boss had no weaknesses and Rowen was just useless in the fight.

It was the same thing as Chapter 11 except there they gave you Alvin, the tank. Here they gave you Rowen against a boss with no weaknesses and you still had no healer.
Doesn't Rowen learn Healing Etude (ヒーリングエチュード)? I think Diffusional Drive (ディフュージョナルドライヴ) heals a bit, too.

And I trust you know you can press Square in the strat menu to set the AI for specific item use. Ah, I'll see what to do about that fight when I get there should I take the game up again soon. You could be right with respect to the game's lacklustre boss design there.

kayos90

You advance guard break the bosses and put them in a weakness stun lock for 200% damage. Actually doing it and perpetuating the combo is the actual hard part.

Bladenic

You advance guard break the bosses and put them in a weakness stun lock for 200% damage. Actually doing it and perpetuating the combo is the actual hard part.

I triggered it a few times but couldn't keep it up.

And DarkSchala he does indeed have a instant heal. Just wasn't enough, even combined with Jude and Milla. I guess I'm just too used to Elise having Raise Dead, Nurse, and most importantly the area cleanse spell. The boss loved inflicting tons of status effects. Too quickly for Jude to keep up.

I beat him though, so no biggie :p Rowen just didn't do much in the fight for me.

kayos90

I was thinking about the announcement 2 days from now while driving and I realized, it's not a confirmed forgone conclusion it's Xillia 2. I forgot about the Vita RPG twitter thing from a while back and Tales was the highest. While there weren't that many responses to begin with, it could be a Vita RPG announcement. Eh, who am I kidding. ROFL.

Flamfas

I was thinking about the announcement 2 days from now while driving and I realized, it's not a confirmed forgone conclusion it's Xillia 2. I forgot about the Vita RPG twitter thing from a while back and Tales was the highest. While there weren't that many responses to begin with, it could be a Vita RPG announcement. Eh, who am I kidding. ROFL.

But do we really want them to announce it RIGHT when they decide it's a go and then wait forever for it to come? >_>

I've already written off the Vita games because I don't think the #jrpgvita will be enough to sway Namco, but we'll see.

kayos90

But do we really want them to announce it RIGHT when they decide it's a go and then wait forever for it to come? >_>

I've already written off the Vita games because I don't think the #jrpgvita will be enough to sway Namco, but we'll see.

Same. We also have to consider that the Vita situation hasn't changed either so... yeah. I'll eat crow if it's not Xillia 2. I'm losing that bet to Soriku anyway. W/e.

I'm honestly thinking that it will most likely be Xillia having dual language audio. Although Xillia 2 would be absolutely amazing.

I triggered it a few times but couldn't keep it up.

And DarkSchala he does indeed have a instant heal. Just wasn't enough, even combined with Jude and Milla. I guess I'm just too used to Elise having Raise Dead, Nurse, and most importantly the area cleanse spell. The boss loved inflicting tons of status effects. Too quickly for Jude to keep up.

I beat him though, so no biggie :p Rowen just didn't do much in the fight for me.

i don't blame you , because i abused this set of character skill so much in xillia 1,

kayos90

Just that part?
But if you beat Xillia 2 then you unlock voice for him, so all they'd have to do is flip that switch.

Well I meant the fact that the game will be changed so rather than having silent Ludger cutscenes we'll have the usual normal tales ones. lol. Of course they'll dub Ludger for that switch lol.

Voror

Clarification in something: I noticed an article stating it was the European release of Symphonia that had the duel audio. So does the NA release get it too then or not?

kayos90

Clarification in something: I noticed an article stating it was the European release of Symphonia that had the duel audio. So does the NA release get it too then or not?

It would be stupid of them not to, so yes US does get it. =D

Wanna make an avatar bet for it cuz I'm 100% sure it's not going to happen.

I'm also pretty sure it's not gonna happen, but I'd like it to. Though cut-scenes would require more writing since I'm assuming all he does is grunt in them right?

More Tales games for the 3DS!

kayos90

What the heck is up with you and avatar bets lmao

Uh... nothing? lol. I don't know why people don't make more avatar bets actually. I guess they're not really comfortable with losing a bit of their forum freedom/expression.

Aeana

Uh... nothing? lol. I don't know why people don't make more avatar bets actually. I guess they're not really comfortable with losing a bit of their forum freedom/expression.

No, there's definitely something. You jump at the chance to make a new one, and seem pretty desperate about it sometimes. It's unusual, to say the least!

kayos90

No, there's definitely something. You jump at the chance to make a new one, and seem pretty desperate about it sometimes. It's unusual, to say the least!

My thirst is only quenched in the fields of battle. COME!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wanna make an avatar bet for it cuz I'm 100% sure it's not going to happen.

You should bet for this avatar:

dSNpg7O.png

Okay, this will be the last question I will ask about Vesperia as I'm sure that I'm driving you guys insane at this point. =P

I've just defeated
Alexei and have gotten the entire team back together to head to the aer krene in the ice fields
. How much further do I have left with the game? I have about a day (and a morning) to possibly finish this.

Abandond

Wasn't sure about buying Xillia because I never played a Tales game. I had a friend over for a few days so I decided to grab Graces on PS3 since we needed a co-op game to play and it was tons of fun. Xillia is probably going to be a day 1 for me.

In Graces, sometimes you can press select and the characters will talk amongst themselves in 2D, is there something similar in Xillia? I thought it was cool and the dialogue was pretty funny with the animations.

I keep forgetting to grab the item in town to delimit the movement, took a while to get used to moving forward and backward only.

In Graces, sometimes you can press select and the characters will talk amongst themselves in 2D, is there something similar in Xillia? I thought it was cool and the dialogue was pretty funny with the animations.

Yep, skits are present throughout the entire series and they're great.

Bladenic

Okay, this will be the last question I will ask about Vesperia as I'm sure that I'm driving you guys insane at this point. =P

I've just defeated
Alexei and have gotten the entire team back together to head to the aer krene in the ice fields
. How much further do I have left with the game? I have about a day (and a morning) to possibly finish this.

Are you just going through the story? If so, I'd say about 10-15 hours left.

Are you just going through the story? If so, I'd say about 10-15 hours left.

Just going through the story, I sadly don't have enough time for side quests. I'm leaving on Saturday morning to go back to England for Summer so I'd like to get Vesperia out of the way so that when I'm back in late August I can play Xillia.

Do you really think it's plausible that I could finish it in time or should I just give up at this point?

Mieu

I'm guessing the next main game will be on next gen consoles. Get it out there before FFXV.

We have no confirmation for the PS4 development now but they did say they are now already preparing for the 20th anniversary of Tales.

Did chapter 12 in Xillia 2. Soooo FUCKING good. It would be my luck that a localization announcement would happen after I imported, but whatever, I'll double dip.

I had it imported on release date and I haven't touched the game since 4th quarter of last year. Got side tracked by Ni No Kuni (JP). But yeah, TOX 2 announcement would be great!

REBIRTH CRUSAAAAAAAADER!!!

Best mystic Arte ever ;_; Milla is so amazing.

I was happy to see sooo many Mystic Artes. I wished there were more though but Link Artes are enough.

Teach me Bariboooooooo!!!!

Just to add, victory poses are neat in TOX but Graces F are funnier

FSLink

Banned
Wasn't sure about buying Xillia because I never played a Tales game. I had a friend over for a few days so I decided to grab Graces on PS3 since we needed a co-op game to play and it was tons of fun. Xillia is probably going to be a day 1 for me.

I keep forgetting to grab the item in town to delimit the movement, took a while to get used to moving forward and backward only.

No, Xillia uses the skit style like Symphonia/Abyss/Vesperia with floating boxes. They should just stick with the Destiny 2/Rebirth/Graces style for the rest of the series, seriously.

Just going through the story, I sadly don't have enough time for side quests. I'm leaving on Saturday morning to go back to England for Summer so I'd like to get Vesperia out of the way so that when I'm back in late August I can play Xillia.

Do you really think it's plausible that I could finish it in time or should I just give up at this point?

It's definitely possible to do the rest in 1 day.

Been playing Skullgirls beta (Squigly!) and Tales of Phantasia X all day. So much fun. I also kinda want to pick up Project x Zone because the Street Fighter team up moves and Tales of team up moves look pretty sweet...but Namco x Capcom was so repetitive and from what I heard of Project x Zone, it's about the same in that aspect. Blah.

Darackutny

Hey GAF, I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to go for Xillia, so I need some help. How would you list the following Tales games when it comes to best storyline?

(Abyss, Symphonia, Graces, Xillia, Vesperia)

Stuart444

Hey GAF, I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to go for Xillia, so I need some help. How would you list the following Tales games when it comes to best storyline?

Finding a consensus in the Tales fan base (even on GAF) isn't that easy.

I think most can agree that Graces is at the bottom of the ones you listed though (and I liked Graces but out of the ones you listed, it's the worst story wise.)

Listing those games in term of story ?

Hum ( this is very hard )

Abyss>Xillia>Symphonia=Vesperia>Graces

Some explanations:
Abyss is up there , because i liked the theme of fighting against a pre written destiny , also the change of the main character over the course of the game was great.The whole deal with fonins was very original.

Xillia because it's nicely written with some story twist i wasn't expecting ( My opinion is clouded by the fact i have played xillia 2 , because i have the full storyline in my head )

Symphonia , because it handled the racist theme quite well , Also the story stay even even after lot of hours, but it's nothing special but symphhonia at least handle the racists theme better than other tales titles.

Vesperia has a incredible cast of characters ( yuri , judith , flynn ) but the story is nothing special , it's not bad but in vesperia the characters are pushing the story and not the reverse. If you think story in vesperia , it's again not that bad but it's not exceptionnal.

Graces is ...well ....

aravuus

I keep forgetting about Xillia, only a month to go, right? Going to be sweet.

Sorry about this, I haven't been following the news much but has Xillia 2 been confirmed for western release? It'd be a shame if I missed what seems to be the best Tales of story-wise

Stuart444

I keep forgetting about Xillia, only a month to go, right? Going to be sweet.

Sorry about this, I haven't been following the news much but has Xillia 2 been confirmed for western release? It'd be a shame if I missed what seems to be the best Tales of story-wise

People are expecting Xillia 2 to be announced tomorrow but there is no guarantee that it will be. We'll have to wait and see.

TEJ

Was there any explanation why Vesperia was localized for the 360 but not for the PS3?

The game was originally an xbox 360 exclusive with the PS3 port announced a year after release. Most likely MS paid for the localization.....remember how the American release was 1 month after the Japanese release?

And here I am with Xillia preorder, a game that came out in...2010? Is finally getting an English release.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Guys, do you have artworks of Jude, Milla, Elize, Leia, Alvin, and Rowen in png form, transparent backgrounds?

Mieu

Destiny, Phantasia, Symphonia, Abyss, Destiny 2, Eternia, Vesperia, Graces F

Was there any explanation why Vesperia was localized for the 360 but not for the PS3?

MS is rumored to have paid for the localization much like the Symphonia western release. I bet this would be re-released.... in 20XX LOL. The PS3 version is really nice. I enjoy Patty's artes

Guys, do you have artworks of Jude, Milla, Elize, Leia, Alvin, and Rowen in png form, transparent backgrounds?

I have a bunch in my HDD. I got it from Gamefaqs when TOX was released in Japan. Try checking. I;m squeezing work time into gaf hihi

Tried Googling TOX forums, can't seem to find it

I don't know why people are still on about Vesperia PS3. Its not coming. Why keep beating a dead horse?

Because the fans of Tales are.... outrageous!!!

Top Bottom