• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Rhapsody

Banned
I still find it weird to have Xillia 2 announced before Xillia 1, but I guess anything can happen.
Biggest surprise would be ToX release being ToX1 and 2.

Flamfas

ToX2 can definitely still come. Prior to this Japan Expo hype, I fully expected it to be announced after ToX released. Slightly less sure on that now.

And he definitely seems to be hyping it up. One would hope that means he's saved the best for last and its "bigger" than the dual audio announcement!

Agreed. But I'm not going to get too excited yet. Crazier things have happened (ToV logos in the ataleoftworichards site amounting to NOTHING).

Rhapsody

Banned
Agreed. But I'm not going to get too excited yet. Crazier things have happened (ToV logos in the ataleoftworichards site amounting to NOTHING).

lol I almost forgot about that. That must've made so many Tales fans rage. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't buy Graces f because of that.

Seda

I'd like to think the second announcement is Xillia 2, but I can't convince myself to believe that Namco would find this to be the best time and place to announce it.

Bladenic

I'd like to think the second announcement is Xillia 2, but I can't convince myself to believe that Namco would find this to be the best time and place to announce it.

They announced Xillia at this event no? Seems as good a place as any (perhaps not the best time but whatever).

Flamfas

They announced Xillia at this event no? Seems as good a place as any (perhaps not the best time but whatever).

Yeah but last year they also hyped it up MORE and had a stream and everything.

I mean, I guess ToSC was announced for us via a YouTube video, but they were still teasing us, telling us to watch the Tales Festival stream.

It could happen, but it would be a little odd with Xillia only a month away.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
ToX2 can definitely still come. Prior to this Japan Expo hype, I fully expected it to be announced after ToX released. Slightly less sure on that now.

To be fair, Richard was brand new as the community manager and probably didn't realize the chaos that would be caused (the fanbase figured out the teaser site pretty quickly so he was just trying to put up random logos to throw them off).

Flamfas

To be fair, Richard was brand new as the community manager and probably didn't realize the chaos that would be caused (the fanbase figured out the teaser site pretty quickly so he was just trying to put up random logos to throw them off).

Was Rich the one to actually make the site, though? I didn't think he was.

I do remember people figured it out quickly though.

grandjedi6

Yeah but last year they also hyped it up MORE and had a stream and everything.

I mean, I guess ToSC was announced for us via a YouTube video, but they were still teasing us, telling us to watch the Tales Festival stream.

It could happen, but it would be a little odd with Xillia only a month away.

Perhaps they decided to ditch the streaming after they were complete disasters last year? Cuz besides the lack of streaming, this is playing out exactly like last year....

I'm frankly at a loss. On one hand, I can't imagine what it could be if not a localization announcement. But on the other hand, its a bit much to expect them to announce another Tales game when there are already two upcoming ones still due.

Was Rich the one to actually make the site, though? I didn't think he was.

I do remember people figured it out quickly though.
Probably not but it still ended up being his problem anyway lol

demidar

I would think the likelihood of a Xillia 2 localization would be based on localized sales of Xillia 1. We're a secondary audience so they don't care that much about us, they'll play it entry by entry.

Just showing off some new Tales artbook I got the other day:

BOb1vzRCIAAIT2A.jpg:large

The Tales of Card Evolve is pretty nice set of artworks from the GREE game.

The Tales of 15th Anniversary is a very hefty book that's basically covers all the Tales games up to Xillia. Extremely impressive in giving bios of each characters, shows their hi-ougi cutins (from all the spin off games as well) and their skit faces.

grandjedi6

I would think the likelihood of a Xillia 2 localization would be based on localized sales of Xillia 1. We're a secondary audience so they don't care that much about us, they'll play it entry by entry.
I'm not sure that's true anymore. Namco's regressed enough from their western development heyday a few years back that they don't have much else going on. Look at their current lineup:

• Dark Souls II
  • Anime licensing titles
  • Tales of
  • F2P Tekken
  • Game based on Pac-man cartoon

Even if its out of desperation, Tales of is no longer a 7th tier franchise that Namco pretends doesn't exist. Namco Europe, in particular, seems to be pushing the series a lot.

Seda

I'm not sure that's true anymore. Namco's regressed enough from their western development heyday a few years back that they don't have much else going on. Look at their current lineup:

• Dark Souls II
  • Anime licensing titles
  • Tales of
  • F2P Tekken

poor Armored Core

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Armored Core is a C-tier mech simulation game and it's easily outclassed by NB's other mecha game series. For all I care, keep AC dead.

Just showing off some new Tales artbook I got the other day:

The Tales of Card Evolve is pretty nice set of artworks from the GREE game.

The Tales of 15th Anniversary is a very hefty book that's basically covers all the Tales games up to Xillia. Extremely impressive in giving bios of each characters, shows their hi-ougi cutins (from all the spin off games as well) and their skit faces.

Does the card Evolve book give each card illustration it's own page or is it a bunch per page? Really like the art on CE than the Kizna set.

demidar

• Dark Souls II
  • Anime licensing titles
  • Tales of
  • F2P Tekken

Even if its out of desperation, Tales of is no longer a 7th tier franchise that Namco pretends doesn't exist. Namco Europe, in particular, seems to be pushing the series a lot.

They had a western development heyday?

grandjedi6

So I figure the most likely possibilities are:

1. Xillia 2 localization
  2. Xillia 1 getting dual audio too
  3. Xillia 1 or Symphonia being released Day 1 digital
  4. Tales of Symphonia: The Animation boxset is coming overseas*
Place your bets now! haha

*Note: this would be a very odd announcement for a video game publisher to make, especially considering it would involve no less than 5 anime publishers to release it to all the territories Baba is hyping. But I guess it would still fit with Katsuyuki Konishi being there lol.

Bladenic

Yeah besides haven't they already announced a release window (April next year unless I'm remembering wrong or mixing up with something else)?

kayos90

1. Xillia 2 localization

*Note: this would be a very odd announcement for a video game publisher to make, especially considering it would involve no less than 5 anime publishers to release it to all the territories Baba is hyping. But I guess it would still fit with Katsuyuki Konishi being there lol.

OMG?! ARE WE MAKING AVATAR BETS?!

Sea3Fwn.png

The Japan Expo "stage event" tomorrow is around 10:00am EDT. No stream or anything.
Ah then my expectations is Xillia 2 localisation, due to more than likely they're happy with the preorders on the first one thus far.
Yeah. They made a big push towards western development and greenlite things like Enslaved and Splatterhouse. Didn't go too well for them.

Western

YOU HAVE A PROBLEM
kayos90

Edit: Finally getting around to finishing Vesperia and I have to say Thank God for the synopsis tab option, all RPGs need these...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You people are still on about avatar bets for multiple pages again?

How about we give it a rest since it's just gotten borderline nonsensical at this point?

demidar

Yeah. They made a big push towards western development and greenlite things like Enslaved and Splatterhouse. Didn't go too well for them.

Heh, oh yeah. Any savvy gamer could tell they wouldn't make much of a splash.

As for this "surprise announcement", I doubt it has anything to do with Xillia 2.

Prove me wrong Scamco, prove me wrong.

kayos90

I'm on my iPhone so I can't link but the announcement is apparently a retranslatjon and complete redub of symphonia

Jomjom

Banned

1. Xillia 2 localization
  5. Tales of Vesperia PS3 Localization

Left out one option to bet on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think that was a given considering the version that they're remastering.

Redub probably means they might use the ToS2 cast unless some of them are part of a union and are thus too expensive to use.

I'm on my iPhone so I can't link but the announcement is apparently a retranslatjon and complete redub of symphonia
https://mobile.twitter.com/flamfas/status/353269356177797122
@kayos90 @King_Seda holy shit, Tales of Symphonia is being re-translated for ToSC
tales.namco.com/forums/viewtop…
We had an interview with Baba earlier today, unlike the other times there were a few interesting things, among them is the fact they will retranslate everything and most likely redub everything, nothing is clear right now but since they're using the PS2 version of Symphonia and there's probably problems regarding the translation of GC Symphonia (Nintendo must own it or something like that) they will go the hard way and redo everything for the translation.

It's not official yet, but it's what he told us and what is most likely going to happen.

We'll publish the full interview in English later this week or next Monday.

Tomorrow it's an 1 hour interview with Yoshizumi, he is more open and we're not going to talk about Tales only.

EDIT : And for those who are following the @KingdomOfTales account I just wanted to say that the network connection is horrible, there's no wifi 3G just doesn't work, even SMS and phone call doesn't work half of the time.

I tried to upload pics and infos the whole day but the only one who managed to get through was the tweet about the Dual Audio (the most important in fact)

I'll try again tomorrow but I can't promise anything.
http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3267422#3267422

Redub would be nice, I didn't mind the new cast from DotNW, the only one I thought was worse was Zelos. I actually found Lloyd to be an improvement.

Top Bottom