• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

LuuKyK

You don't have to be a gold member to buy games on Games on Demand. Not sure if where you live / however Xbox Live deals with regions throws a wrench into this though.

I know, I was wondering if that was an option for Luukyk.

Yeah, I actually looked for it during the 15 days (?) they give when you create an account, but the game was not there. I actually searched through local message boards and official xbox boards and people are saying that this specific game is not available in my country, via GoD. :(

demidar

I actually have 3 copies of Tales of Vesperia, 1 Japanese, 1 North American and 1 PAL (Australian). This was early in the gen before I figured out that 99% of Japanese games are generally region locked, even between PAL/NTSC regions.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What's a nice tagline for the Tales of Xillia OT?

Something serious pls. :p

I'm gonna pre-order the Tales of Xillia Limited Edition tomorrow. I can't believe the limited edition costs $60 just like the game and it comes with 2 DLC costumes, a character booklet, a music CD, and the game of course.

I would have probably ordered the Collector's Edition if I wasn't saving up for One piece Pirate Warriors 2. I wonder how big that Millia figure is though?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Yeah, and BlazBlue is pronounced BureiBuru.

Yup. I'm not saying Zillia is wrong flatout. In fact more people probably pronounce it that way. Heck, I pronounce it that way. Just saying the official way is the way I mentioned above.

As for Blazblue, it is indeed how you typed it out but the localization pronounces it with a Z. Nothing to discuss there really.

demidar

Yup. I'm not saying Zillia is wrong flatout. In fact more people probably pronounce it that way. Heck, I pronounce it that way. Just saying the official way is the way I mentioned above.

As for Blazblue, it is indeed how you typed it out but the localization pronounces it with a Z. Nothing to discuss there really.

So you think there's a chance it could get localized to be pronounced as Zillia? Or do we already have confirmation that it's Eckzillia?

kayos90

So you think there's a chance it could get localized to be pronounced as Zillia? Or do we already have confirmation that it's Eckzillia?

I've seen promo videos and interviews pronounce it as Exillia. So... yeah. I literally give no fucks though. I'm still going to say it the way I want to rofl.

demidar

I've seen promo videos and interviews pronounce it as Exillia. So... yeah. I literally give no fucks though. I'm still going to say it the way I want to rofl.

Yeah I'll be doing that as well.

Getting ever so slightly back on topic, I think I might pick up Project X Zone on the eShop since I expected it to be $40 instead of the $35 it's currently showing me, and it's the closest I can get to playable Flynn in English :(

kayos90

Getting ever so slightly back on topic, I think I might pick up Project X Zone on the eShop since I expected it to be $40 instead of the $35 it's currently showing me, and it's the closest I can get to playable Flynn in English :(

This is a community thread. No topic. Just do whatever, rofl.

I'm playing through PxZ right now. It's pretty awesome. Gameplay is repetitive and pace is shit after you get all the characters but for the first 25 chapters it's pretty good.

Mamoru Miyano Flynn is totally an acceptable reason to get the game.

Blusby

It's a shame that we're getting Xillia 1 first instead of the superior 2, it's not like the garbage story and characters are worth getting one game and having to wait another probable 2+ years for the other. Other than that I just beat Graces F, best Tales in terms of gameplay but was hampered down by a boring soundtrack and irritatingly bad story/characters with bs story being pushed into your face often. Why do they even bother trying to write these long stories for these games? It's not like they're ever good...

kewlmyc

Meh, I'll keep saying Zillia. Rolls off the tongue better.

So the announcement today has already been confirmed to not be a new title?

It's a shame that we're getting Xillia 1 first instead of the superior 2, it's not like the garbage story and characters are worth getting one game and having to wait another probable 2+ years for the other. Other than that I just beat Graces F, best Tales in terms of gameplay but was hampered down by a boring soundtrack and irritatingly bad story/characters with bs story being pushed into your face often. Why do they even bother trying to write these long stories for these games? It's not like they're ever good...

Why would anyone release the sequel of a product before the original?

kayos90

It's a shame that we're getting Xillia 1 first instead of the superior 2, it's not like the garbage story and characters are worth getting one game and having to wait another 2 for the other. Other than that I just beat Graces F, best Tales in terms of gameplay but was hampered down by a boring soundtrack and irritatingly bad story/characters. Why do they even bother trying to write these long stories for these games? It's not like they're ever good...

You'd rather them skip Xillia 1 and go straight into 2? Sure. Why not.

On another note about the story, it's because the Tales narratives are written with a particular audience in mind. From what I've seen and heard, they like the Tales narratives because they're written a certain way. Sometimes they'll go out of their way to try something somewhat different like Yuri. For the most part, while it may not please you, there are a lot of people it pleases.

kewlmyc

You'd rather them skip Xillia 1 and go straight into 2? Sure. Why not.

On another note about the story, it's because the Tales narratives are written with a particular audience in mind. From what I've seen and heard, they like the Tales narratives because they're written a certain way. Sometimes they'll go out of their way to try something somewhat different like Yuri. For the most part, while it may not please you, there are a lot of people it pleases.

Tis a shame. They tend to do better when they go out of their way. Except for the realistic Tales of Hearts. Don't know what they were thinking with that.

demidar

OTOH, when they deviated they created one of the best JRPG protagonists in like, forever.

I'll be happy as long as the combat is competent and the skits are voiced.

kayos90

OTOH, when they deviated they created one of the best JRPG protagonists in like, forever.

I'll be happy as long as the combat is competent and the skits are voiced.

They also created what could be the worst one not narratively but in play. I'm talking about Ludger's silence.

Jubern

It's a shame that we're getting Xillia 1 first instead of the superior 2, it's not like the garbage story and characters are worth getting one game and having to wait another probable 2+ years for the other.

I said it before, but while Xillia 2 is definitely the superior game in my mind, the enjoyment you're going to get out of it totally depends of how much you know about the world and the characters. Going blind into 2 is not a good idea at all.

Seda

Ro6oflI.png

XD

Seda

I thought this was the dual voices in the Symphonia pack. I'd catch this but I don't know what time it will be for my time zone.

Baba teased two "surprise information" announcements. One on July 4 and one on July 6.

The dual voices was announced on July 4.

10:00am EDT is when it is for tomorrow.

Thorgal

Something ive been wondering.

If it is Xillia 2 getting a western release anouncement, wouldn't it make sense that they started the voice recording right after Xillia one was finished and still have everyone available ?

Seems the most logical to me ,at least.

demidar

Baba teased two "surprise information" announcements. One on July 4 and one on July 6.

That's only 10pm today for me. Can't wait to get horribly disappointed/pleasantly surprised!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Hmm.... How many hours from now? I don't live in the EDT zone though. :p

Fisico

Just noticed that "XD" could be the accronym for "Xillia Deux" (Xillia Two) in french

Well i'll be there at 4PM,

demidar

I wish Scamco committed to the dual protagonists thing and avoided massive amounts of overlap but that's unfeasibly idealistic.

Stuart444

The Xillia pronunciation: I pronounce it Zillia because it sounds less stupid when saying it out loud. I also know some folks shout at anyone who pronounces it Zillia instead of the 'official' way that Kayos mentioned above.

2 and a half hours it starts, 3 hours at the most until the damage gets done. :)

Stuart444

There has been a mistake somewhere, a Namco rep has confirmed that Symphonia will NOT be retranslated for ToSC

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1111

Or at least, that's what the PR wants them to say for now

Isshak also said it's not true and was a result of miscommunication/mistranslation and to take his word on it as 'official' (meaning he knows for sure).

Kinda disappointed, I would have loved to see people reactions if it was true.

edit:

Pre-order the downloadable version of Tales of Xillia and get a Bonus Costume Set, a Tales of Xillia custom theme and the exclusive 15th anniversary custom theme! (UK link but available in your country too!)

posted on the Tales FB page so again, not a surprise actually. (though I did miss the post since I just found out about it now XD)

Edit 2: Flamfas said he couldn't see the post which is why I took the screenshot.

Post is probably region locked to europe, it says custom when hovering over the icon next to "Wed".

so guessing it's an EU only thing (if not, then I don't know why it's region locked).

and since Japan Expo is a EU show, I doubt they would use this as a 'surprise'. ? I think?

Xillia 2 is only awesome if you're experienced the first xillia story.

Let me tell you why :
The second game has what if scenarios, depicting different outcomes of xillia events or different outcomes of pre-xillia 1 events, they make sense/are intresting only if you've seen the normal timeline first.

"Two characters, one port".
Okay, maybe not so serious

Ok that made me laugh a little.

Flamfas

posted on the Tales FB page so again, not a surprise actually. (though I did miss the post since I just found out about it now XD)

And it seems the post is region locked, because I can't load that photo here in America XD

But yeah, seems digital isn't the news now.

Top Bottom