• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I think that was a given considering the version that they're remastering.

Redub probably means they might use the ToS2 cast unless some of them are part of a union and are thus too expensive to use.

Yup. This is really non-news. Flammy pointed out that this is probably not the news tomorrow as they wouldn't have outed the info already. Just additional info.

MechaX

http://tales.namco.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3267422#3267422

I suppose they'll try to get ToS2 VAs for consistency rather than ToS recasts?

That's probably more likely, especially since some of the VAs either moved on from voice acting (even though Cam Clarke reprised Kratos a few times, I don't think he's done anything major in the past few years; Scott Menville still does Robin and his only major role in a JRPG recently was Zephyr in Resonance of Fate) or have gained a considerable amount of fame that might be beyond Namco's pay-grade for a work that probably won't push that many copies (I'm especially looking at the likes of Jennifer Hale, Crispin Freeman, and Tara Strong). On the other hand, the TOS2 VAs still at least do anime games/etc.

Bladenic

This is pretty cool just for a HD upgrade. But this means no Jennifer Hale, Shiloh Strong, Crispin Freeman, Kari Wahlgren, Tara Strong or Scott Menville. Blargh.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I *think* they announce this (quietly) for Xillia in Europe, but the most I can find to back me up is this

https://twitter.com/raines_ix/status/352768656532451330

Can anyone with a Europe account check?
[EU] The downloadable version of Tales of Xillia can now be pre-ordered via the PSN. Pre-order and get a Bonus Costume Set, a Tales of Xillia custom theme and the exclusive 15th anniversary custom theme! (Link is for the UK, I can’t find the US one, if there is one).
http://abyssalchronicles.tumblr.com/post/54524840819/eu-the-downloadable-version-of-tales-of-xillia

Added during PSN EU's weekly update two days ago?
No mention on Playstation Blog?
No announcement of a digital release from Namco ever?
Previous efforts to add more Tales titles Digitally?
Happening around the same time as this announcement?

Yep, pretty sure now that the surprise info will be Xillia Day 1 digital. Fits everything perfectly and its not the sort of thing Namco would skip on making a press release for.

Seda

That's probably more likely, especially since some of the VAs either moved on from voice acting (even though Cam Clarke reprised Kratos a few times, I don't think he's done anything major in the past few years; Scott Menville still does Robin and his only major role in a JRPG recently was Zephyr in Resonance of Fate) or have gained a considerable amount of fame that might be beyond Namco's pay-grade for a work that probably won't push that many copies (I'm especially looking at the likes of Jennifer Hale, Crispin Freeman, and Tara Strong). On the other hand, the TOS2 VAs still at least do anime games/etc.

Pretty much what I was thinking. They would cost more and inconsistency would still be a problem. A new dub means things can be more consistent, it makes more sense in terms of $$$, and (hopefully) voiced skits.

Of course, people are attached to the old performances and voice changes always has that downside.

I hope Clarke reprises Kratos though (he voiced him in his ToS2 cameo in any case)

RPGCrazied

Oh wow, they are redoing the voices in English for ToS HD? Even voicing the skits, and dual audio? That's pretty cool of them.

Pretty much what I was thinking. They would cost more and inconsistency would still be a problem. A new dub means things can be more consistent, it makes more sense in terms of $$$, and (hopefully) voiced skits.

Of course, people are attached to the old performances and voice changes always has that downside.

I hope Clarke reprises Kratos though (he voiced him in his ToS2 cameo in any case)

Gotta admit that you would have loved to hear the old cast in non compressed audio though =P

Flamfas

Just remember that Fisico made it sound like Baba wasn't 100% sure about the retranslation and such, so let's not jump to *too* many conclusions.

Also, Isshak saw me post this on Facebook and he is looking to confirm.

Brawly Likes to Brawl said:
The official Tales forums still hasn't updated that banner?

It would help if Namco remembered it existed.

http://abyssalchronicles.tumblr.com/post/54524840819/eu-the-downloadable-version-of-tales-of-xillia

Added during PSN EU's weekly update two days ago?
No mention on Playstation Blog?
No announcement of a digital release from Namco ever?
Previous efforts to add more Tales titles Digitally?
Happening around the same time as this announcement?

Yep, pretty sure now that the surprise info will be Xillia Day 1 digital. Fits everything perfectly and its not the sort of thing Namco would skip on making a press release for.

This is suddenly looking quite possible.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Cam Clarke is still working. He's rumored to be in MGSV, and played Green Lantern & Martian Manhunter in Lego Batman 2.

Tales-wise, he played Turtlez in Graces F.

Fisico

Oh wow, they are redoing the voices in English for ToS HD? Even voicing the skits, and dual audio? That's pretty cool of them.

Don't get your hopes too hyped up, we asked but for this particular point he was really really vague and couldn't promise anything (generally it means "no")

So I figure the most likely possibilities are:

1. Xillia 2 localization
  2. Xillia 1 getting dual audio too
  3. Xillia 1 or Symphonia being released Day 1 digital
  4. Tales of Symphonia: The Animation boxset is coming overseas*
Place your bets now! haha

We've got words from a Namco official that it's not gonna be a big announcement and thus not a new localization, you can forget about 1, the 2 it seems way too late now...

Flamfas

Whatever happens with this redub (if there is one) ... we do have dual audio.

Konishi saving us all from Beacock.

Fisico said:
We've got words from a Namco official that it's not gonna be a big announcement and thus not a new localization

Interesting! I had a feeling it was too soon for ToX2.

Day 1 digital for ToX is looking like it will be the big news.

Bladenic

Kinda wish they went back and upgraded the battle system and cooking, though.

They'd probably just turn it to Xillia 1/2 system of buying food :(

Battle system will feel outdated especially the line shit but oh well. This isn't a remake and even a redub is more than any other HD collection gets besides KH 1.5 and FFX.

Shouta

I only mention it because I was cleaning out my games last night and pulled out my Director's Cut copy with dat sexy box. I can't play it on my PS3 though because it doesn't have PS2 BC. >=(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I can't wait for the trophy that'll require for everyone to master all the recipes!
Please no.

They'd probably just turn it to Xillia 1/2 system of buying food :(

Battle system will feel outdated especially the line shit but oh well. This isn't a remake and even a redub is more than any other HD collection gets besides KH 1.5 and FFX.
Eh, to celebrate the 10th anniversary, I would've thought they'd try to revamp and update the battle system to make it more palatable (at least bring it up to Abyss standards). I'd prefer that over cosmetic / remastering, to be honest.

And Xillia 1/2's system of buying takeout food because no one cooks was a real bummer.

You know what I'd like right about now? An HD Port of Destiny Remake.
You are good people. I'd love that.

Heyt

Banned
How about 3DS so we can actually get it in English >_>

But yes, I've been dreaming of a handheld port of that game for a while now

So much this. Destiny DC or Rebirth would be a dream come true on 3DS.

My bet for news is... I don't know. Something that I don't really care about like Xillia's dual audio.

I would love them to be Xillia 2 confirmation though. Or one of the games I mentioned before for 3DS. But I don't think they announce a new game when they still have to release other 2 before.

Flamfas

But on the Vita we can actually import it when Namco passes on localizing another handheld Tales game.

Abyss 3DS got a reprint in Europe, which means it probably exceeded their expectations.

Regardless, I'd rather risk not being able to import a port that will likely have minimal new content (and the PS2 version can be imported) for a higher chance they'll translate it. Getting a 3DS game is much more likely than a Vita game.

Holmes

How about 3DS so we can actually get it in English >_>

But yes, I've been dreaming of a handheld port of that game for a while now
Ahaha. You think that just because it would be a 3DS game that Namco-Bandai would translate it in English? Haha, oh lord.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Pretty much. If I had to label their likelihoods of coming back for a redub...

Symphonia:
Scott Menville -- Impossible; too expensive/unionized
Heather Hogan -- Guaranteed
Colleen O'Shaughnessey -- Unknown
Cam Clarke -- Possible
Kari Wahlgren -- Very Unlikely; too expensive/unionized
Jennifer Hale -- Impossible; too expensive/unionized
Shiloh Strong -- Impossible; doesn't even act anymore
Tara Strong -- Impossible; too expensive/unionized
Crispin Freeman -- Possible

DotNW:
Brian Beacock -- Unknown; has stopped doing VA over the last few years
Tara Sands -- Unknown; has stopped doing VA over the last few years
Tara Platt -- Guaranteed
Megan Hollingshead -- Likely
Christopher Corey Smith -- Very Likely
Janice Kawaye -- Likely
Dave Wittenberg -- Impossible; has retired from VA
Johnny Yong Bosch & Laura Bailey -- THEY NEVER LEFT THE BOOTH

FSLink

Banned
Eh, to celebrate the 10th anniversary, I would've thought they'd try to revamp and update the battle system to make it more palatable (at least bring it up to Abyss standards). I'd prefer that over cosmetic / remastering, to be honest.
At this point I would seriously take a thrown-in Free Run item, balance be damned.

Flamfas

Ahaha. You think that just because it would be a 3DS game that Namco-Bandai would translate it in English? Haha, oh lord.

It's a lot more likely than a Vita port to be translated, is my point. Baba cites Vita's sluggish performance as to why we haven't gotten the Vita titles. That's not a problem with 3DS, and just imagine how much the install base is about to boom when Pokemon comes out.

Young Magus

....I WOULD SO PAY GOOD MONEY FOR THAT!! AND IN ENGLISH!!!!

On the whole dual-audio thing, I'm ok with that really. Quick question: does it only pertain to US copies or both versions of the game? Will text be included as well?

kewlmyc

Pretty much. If I had to label their likelihoods of coming back for a redub...

Symphonia:
Scott Menville -- Impossible; too expensive/unionized
Colleen O'Shaughnessey -- Unknown
Cam Clarke -- Possible
Kari Wahlgren -- Very Unlikely; too expensive/unionized
Jennifer Hale -- Impossible; too expensive/unionized
Shiloh Strong -- Impossible; doesn't even act anymore
Tara Strong -- Impossible; too expensive/unionized
Crispin Freeman -- Possible

DotNW:
Brian Beacock -- Unknown; has stopped doing VA over the last few years
Tara Sands -- Unknown; has stopped doing VA over the last few years
Tara Platt -- Guaranteed
Megan Hollingshead -- Likely
Christopher Corey Smith -- Very Likely
Janice Kawaye -- Likely
Dave Wittenberg -- Impossible; has retired from VA
Johnny Yong Bosch & Laura Bailey -- THEY NEVER LEFT THE BOOTH

Damn, I guess we have to get used to the DotNW cast now. Oh well, they weren't terrible.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So in otherwords they'll announce JYB and Laura Bailey is redubbing the entire game by themselves.
Burn all of the copies.

I'm tired of hearing Laura Bailey all over the place unless she does her lesser-used voices, which ain't often.

For anyone who imported Xillia, how long does it take to finish one blind playthrough? Be it Milla's or Jude's or do their story lengths differ.
it's doable in 22 hours if you rush
but there is like no point in doing so.

I personnaly took 67 hours ( 96% of the sidequest done ) the first time. if you skip cutscenes and know where to got it's doable in 6 hours.

I hate all you guys making Xilia 2 sound awesome.
I love you too :)

Now that's something to bet on !

you have good taste

Stuart444

I'll buy any and all destiny related games, imported or otherwise >_>

edit: also if the day 1 digital is the announcement, then it will be funny since a lot of people probably watching out for this 'surprise' are the same people who bought the CE (or are buying it retail to add alongside their Tales collections)

luokyl

We've got words from a Namco official that it's not gonna be a big announcement and thus not a new localization, you can forget about 1, the 2 it seems way too late now...

Oh I didn't realise this happened.

In that case, now I'm looking for a Symphonia HD western release date or a way-too-early announced collectors edition
or both.

Datschge

Battle system will feel outdated especially the line shit but oh well.

wut?

Eh, to celebrate the 10th anniversary, I would've thought they'd try to revamp and update the battle system to make it more palatable (at least bring it up to Abyss standards).

And update to Abyss BS would have been a downgrade though.

I'm tired of hearing Laura Bailey all over the place unless she does her lesser-used voices, which ain't often.

They wouldn't be her lesser-used voices if she used them more often though, yadda yadda...

LuuKyK

You know, back in the day when I played Tales of Vesperia, I played a rented copy on my 360, and now that I want to own one and play it again, I simply cant find it anywhere, even used (even went to the place where I used to rent games to see if they still had a copy, but they were all gone). Wtf... And I cant buy from Amazon because it doesnt ship games to my country (or the ship. price is just crazy). There is also no GameStop around here. t-t Goddammit.

Seda

You know, back in the day when I played Tales of Vesperia, I played a rented copy on my 360, and now that I want to own one and play it again, I simply cant find it anywhere, even used (even went to the place where I used to rent games to see if they still had a copy, but they were all gone). Wtf... And I cant buy from Amazon because it doesnt ship games to my country (or the ship. price is just crazy). There is also no GameStop around here. t-t Goddammit.

Can you get it on GoD?

Seda

GoD = Games on Demand?

I could if I payed to have Live I guess. I cant even acess the xbox store or whatever its called currently... Unless there is a way around it. Or I am dumb.

You don't have to be a gold member to buy games on Games on Demand. Not sure if where you live / however Xbox Live deals with regions throws a wrench into this though.

The title is available GoD.

I know, I was wondering if that was an option for Luukyk.

Top Bottom