• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Mieu

Speaking of tox2, i really find emil's costume awkward for Ludger. Asbel's costume perfectly fits Milla. Yuri on Jude seems a bit forced

Heyt

Banned
Elmil's costume is the most stupid thing I've seen in the series. It doesn't even fit in the Symhonia world at all.

Flamfas

Ludger got Emil's costume only because they were both drawn by the same character designer, Okumura. Emil is the first PC that Okumura designed (and Ludger and Marta are the only other ones!). This is similar to how Fujishima designed Jude and he got his first Tales design (Cress) and Inomata designed Milla and got her first Tales design (Stahn) for the ToX pre-order costumes.

demidar

I think Fujishima is the best Tales artist, Inomata's are just... odd, and overly elaborate without reason (though I'm only speaking from recent releases).

Flamfas

I think Fujishima is the best Tales artist, Inomata's are just... odd, and overly elaborate without reason (though I'm only speaking from recent releases).

In my opinion, Fujishima tends to play it safe - he has good designs, but none that I'm absolutely floored with. Inomata takes more risks, and it pays off ... sometimes. Okumura has done good work for the series, but Emil is just absolute crap of a design. What is with the tube top and the scarf, seriously.

Only designer that has not let me down at all is Nakazawa. Shame he only did one game and probably won't be coming back.

I'd say Fujishima's character desgins themselves are usually better than Inomata's, but as an artist... yeah, definitely not a fan of him. Even if Inomata can be inconsistent with her style, it tends to be a lot nicer on the eyes than Fujishima's stuff.

aravuus

Xillia 2 is only awesome if you're experienced the first xillia story.

Let me tell you why :
The second game has what if scenarios, depicting different outcomes of xillia events or different outcomes of pre-xillia 1 events, they make sense/are intresting only if you've seen the normal timeline first.

I thought it was just a regular old sequel but goddamn, this sounds really cool. I really hope the game comes to west soon. Ish.

Managed to finish Vesperia early today and what a great game! Despite warnings, I honestly preferred the third act of the game to the second. It was a really enjoyable experience overall and I really can't wait to play Xillia.

Hell, I'm just amazed that I managed to finish my save in less than a week. I wouldn't have bothered if I realized how much I had left!

Hi Tales community!

I'm sitting here impatiently waiting for whatever's going to be announced, really hoping I won't be disappointed.

kewlmyc

Reminds me of this image.

1369267590709_zpsfe4de924.jpg

Bladenic

In my opinion, Fujishima tends to play it safe - he has good designs, but none that I'm absolutely floored with. Inomata takes more risks, and it pays off ... sometimes. Okumura has done good work for the series, but Emil is just absolute crap of a design. What is with the tube top and the scarf, seriously.

Only designer that has not let me down at all is Nakazawa. Shame he only did one game and probably won't be coming back.

Inomata takes risks? Honestly the only things about her designs that are noteworthy are how obsessed she is with breastplates and exposes midriffs, on the males nonetheless. Although Fujishima isn't exempt with designs like Luke.

She does have some nice designs, and I can see why her watercolor like art would be preferred to the darker Fujishima art.

Trying to keep my expectations low. :p
Dual audio is already a really cool announcement so I'm happy with what we've gotten thus far either way.

aravuus

As long as the big announcement isn't sudden cancellation of ToX1's western release, I won't be disappointed.

Well, maybe a bit if it's something like "new Tales of mobile game coming 2016!!!"

Also, I have no idea how I've never even heard of it, but Symphonia is getting a HD re-release? Never finished the game, maybe I'll buy it when it comes out.

Heyt

Banned
I'm started get hyped and I don't know why. And i'm really hating it because I know I'm going to be dissapointed.

demidar

Well, looking at this picture kewlmyc thankfully provided (of which Emil is absent but I kinda know what he looks like):

Nakazawa also did that godawful looking Legendia character, but Ludger looks pretty damn good.

Veigue isn't bad, but one small chestplate isn't really gonna help much.

And holy shit Asbel and his shitty costume. What is up with those belted sleaves?!?!

Fujishima had a miss with Luke. Seriously why show your abs? It's like you want people to gut you there. Jude's pretty okay though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Okumura should do the next Tales artwork. Ludger and Julius look swag as fuck.

Heyt

Banned
If I had to order the designs for main characters I think It would be like this most of the time:

1.Veige
2.Yuri
3.Kyle
4.Ludger
5.Jude

6.Stahn
7.Senel
8.Asbel
9.Lloyd
10.Shing
11.Luke
12.Luca
13.Millia
14.Cless
15.Reid

Also, I'm ethe only one that thinks that Aide's Oswell design is a discarded one for Hubert's? In fact I think Aide's design is better and looks more like Asbel's brother than Hubert...

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
God no, he's terrible. Ludger and Julius both look dope as fuck yes, but that's the only good in a sea of shit. There's a reason he's the backup designer.

What else did he do?

Also, I also hope they let Fujishima stick to the male designs and Inomata with the female designs because I don't want my male characters to have midrifs.

kewlmyc

Yeah Okumura's design has a modern and classy feel. Most costumes in Xillia 2 (except for Millia) have that feel to them, hence why I want to play that game so badly. I wouldn't mind if Okumura didn't the next designs. Just give Inomata a break.

Bladenic

What else did he do?

Also, I also hope they let Fujishima stick to the male designs and Inomata with the female designs because I don't want my male characters to have midrifs.

He did Emil and Marta, as well as various small characters in every game I think. I guess sea of shit was exaggerated. And if he could 100% sure make an entire cast be as awesome looking as Ludger then yes let him do it.

Rpgmonkey

What else did he do?

Basically a lot of the important NPCs throughout the series, like most of the God Generals and Van, the Chimeriad, etc.

Dawn of the New World designs aside, I think he's pretty good and does a good job of keeping his designs diverse and unique to the game they're featured in. I'd like to see him get a shot at designing the entire playable cast of a mothership Tales game.

aravuus

If I had to order the designs for main characters I think It would be like this most of the time:

1.Veige
2.Yuri
3.Kyle
4.Ludger
5.Jude

6.Stahn
7.Senel
8.Asbel
9.Lloyd
10.Shing
11.Luke
12.Luca
13.Millia
14.Cless
15.Reid

Also, I'm ethe only one that thinks that Aide's Oswell design is a discarded one for Hubert's? In fact I think Aide's design is better and looks more like Asbel's brother than Hubert...

What the hell, somebody beat Yuri? I gotta play Veige's game then, whichever one it is

e: Oh it's Tales of Rebirth, nvm then

Heyt

Banned
Oh my, I'm so happy. Day one for that one too.

So great!

What the hell, somebody beat Yuri? I gotta play Veige's game then, whichever one it is

e: Oh it's Tales of Rebirth, nvm then

I'm talking about aesthetic design only. I like Veige's appearence the most, that's all. But Yuri is really close in my eyes.

Torraz

I wonder if I should continue playing Xillia 2 now. Like I said, just my luck haha.

Was thinking of (re-)starting the game very soon... I'll probably play/finish it.

Wondering about language options. Depending on thsoe I might pick it up again.

aravuus

I'm talking about aesthetic design only. I like Veige's appearence the most, that's all. But Yuri is really close in my eyes.

Oh, alright then. I was wondering what kind of super character he was, but that explains it :lol

Yuri best JRPG protagonist

demidar

Oh, alright then. I was wondering what kind of super character he was, but that explains it :lol

Yuri best JRPG protagonist

I'll second that.

So in light of the recent bomb, do you guys think Namco is finally being serious with expanding the western fanbase of Tales series?

Bladenic

I'll second that.

So in light of the recent bomb, do you guys think Namco is finally being serious with expanding the western fanbase of Tales series?

Yep. Hopefully it pays off. It may be that they've finally decided to be happy with what they get in terms of sales instead of expecting Symphonia level sales every time. They did say they were happy with Graces, and I can see Xillia doing Vesperia numbers.

Top Bottom