• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Flamfas

Since I plan on getting Symphonia Chronicles should I even bother with playing DotNW?

I'm only going to be playing it in work towards me saying that I've beaten all Tales games. For no other reason

I played the Wii version and gave up 2 hours in. It really rubbed me the wrong way

Well.... General consensus tells me not to play DotNW. I loved Graces' combat but I pretty much loathed everything else, so I doubt Symphonia 2 would get any love from me. $40 for HD Remastered Symphonia sounds good. Beats my Dolphin version of the game.

Seda

Tales of Symphonia 2 gets a lot better as it progresses, although it is never great.

My favorite Tales villain however, though that's not much of an accomplishment considering most Tales villains are terrible.

FSLink

Banned
Well.... General consensus tells me not to play DotNW. I loved Graces' combat but I pretty much loathed everything else, so I doubt Symphonia 2 would get any love from me. $40 for HD Remastered Symphonia sounds good. Beats my Dolphin version of the game.

If you enjoy it for what it is: a spinoff that's effectively an extended epilogue, it's okay to decent.
If you expect it's a fully fledged Tales title like the original Symphonia, or Graces, lol, you'll hate it, guaranteed.

Having said that, when Symphonia Chronicles comes out, I'm not too sure I'll go back and replay it, haha. If I do, it'll be rushing through it just for story/skits. Other than that, it's largely forgettable but it's hardly the worst Tales of game. People who say that either have only played the English entries or are speaking hyperbole. I mostly enjoyed DotNW for voiced skits for the Symphonia cast, Tenebrae, and the Phantasia references.

It could use some of them enhancements later spinoffs got like Narikiri Dungeon X where you can control monsters or have guest characters in the first slot. In NDX you couldn't swap out Dio and Mel until a New Game Plus, I think that'd be an okay compromise for DotNW.
And while VS is awful stuff, it never claimed to be a mothership title like Tempest originally was.

Hmm its seems like those who per ordered the EU psn verison of tales if xilla can download it now. 1 month before? It will be locked right? But download the full game 1 month beforehand??

how does psn perorder works actually?

Sagitario

I agree with most of what FSLink said.

I really think Dawn of the New World is worth playing if you can stand Emil.
- Decent battle system, with the second best implementation of the free run mechanic (only second to Graces).
- Monster collecting and training keeps the party and battles versatile.
- It has the best skits in the whole series.
- Tenebrae
- Music (so many great battle themes and arrangements)

Aytrial

All this Tales hype is making me want to play Tales of the Abyss again. Unfortunately, since I don't have a PS2 anymore I'm limited to the 3DS port. Is there anything particularly wrong with the port? I'm not really concerned about additional features, though if there are some beyond 3DS gimmicks I'm not opposed to them.

All this Tales hype is making me want to play Tales of the Abyss again. Unfortunately, since I don't have a PS2 anymore I'm limited to the 3DS port. Is there anything particularly wrong with the port? I'm not really concerned about additional features, though if there are some beyond 3DS gimmicks I'm not opposed to them.

Gamefaqs' DarkLink50 said:
3DS version differences compared to PS2:
3D (although its not that effective)
Loading times are shortened
Slightly more lag sometimes
Removal of Multiplayer
Some stats were changed for difficulties (Japan only)
The Japanese version was updated to accommodate the NA changes (e.g some mystic artes were added).
Buttons were changed (obviously) - The touchscreen functions as 4 arte shortcuts instead of the right analog stick
Only four save slots per game card
Some sidequest cut-offs have been altered e.g. i managed to get the Jewel of Gardios before entering the final dungeon
No world map glitch (cant keep Asch in party)

Benefits of versions
PS2:
Better Graphics
large screen
multiplayer
more save slots
Can get Asch permanently into party (through a glitch)

3DS:
fast loading times
portable
touchscreen

Get the 3DS one if you want, its worth it if you hate the loading times.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/609541-tales-of-the-abyss/62616347

Portability is quite the plus though.

FSLink

Banned

It has 30FPS battles vs 60FPS iirc. But it's smooth so it's not that big of a deal. 3D implementation isn't very good.

Also they forgot that in the NA PS2 version they let you access New Game Plus after finishing the final boss (just by loading up your old save), so you could do the 2nd playthrough Mystic Artes and such on a 1st playthrough file. They didn't add this back into the 3DS port. They also forgot to change small things like Overlimits -> Over Limit.

Other than that, it's identical with better load times.

So an update on the Symphonia Chronicles redub:
UPDATE (July 6, 2013): A Namco Bandai representative has just informed us that NO, Tales of Symphonia will not be-retranslated or re-dubbed for Chronicles. The rep has officially confirmed this to be NOT true and that there will be no re-dub.
From http://www.abyssalchronicles.com/?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1111

And Xillia 2 related, but anybody have the Madoka DLC they wouldn't mind PSN sharing? lol Can't believe I miss the cutoff date. :/

Aytrial

I was never bothered by the load times in the original, so it really just comes down portability which is a huge plus for me. Thanks guys.

But then we wouldn't have a consensus on what's the absolute worst Tales entry.

Tempest stand out more because it's one of the very few bad games in a franchise that stay enjoyable all the way.

Tales of Symphonia 2 gets a lot better as it progresses, although it is never great.

My favorite Tales villain however, though that's not much of an accomplishment considering most Tales villains are terrible.

Dahos is a great vilain.

Gaius in xillia was awesome too :)

Sagitario

^ A little warning about what game that spoiler is about would have been nice >_>
[Edit: for those who want to avoid getting spoiled, it's about Xillia]

The port is basically the PS2 version without the awful load times but with battles at 30 frames per second.

Also, the ability to play on Very Hard or Unknown during a first playthrough (but after you beat the final boss) got removed.

On the PS2 US release, you could do all the 2nd playthrough stuff (difficulty settings, dungeon, mystic artes) during the 1st one if you had a New Game+ or clear file in your memory card (this wasn't present in the original PS2 JPN release).
FSLink speculated that they "forgot" to add this "feature" (I believe it was a glitch, though) in the 3DS port, since you can still do the mystic artes. Maybe it got removed because of how the 3DS handles the save files on the cart vs the PS2 with its memory card.

So, it goes like this: JPN PS2 release -> US PS2 release with new artes, bug fixes and minor improvements (including the clear file "feature") -> JPN 3DS release with US PS2 changes (except the clear file "feature").

FSLink

Banned
So, it goes like this: JPN PS2 release -> US PS2 release with new artes, bug fixes and minor improvements (including the clear file "feature") -> JPN 3DS release with US PS2 changes (except the clear file "feature").

The clear file "feature" was named as a feature on the official Tales forums before Abyss came out. Can't remember where exactly. :p But it's not a glitch, it's intentional. I remember being excited about the localization due to this since I didn't have to play through it once just to access Jade's Indignation in English.
So you can still do the 2nd playthrough MAs on a 1st playthrough file on the 3DS version? News to me, but neat if you can (I'm not referring to the fact that they gave Natalia, Guy, and Nebilim MAs in the NA version) Stuff like accessing Very Hard/Unknown still applies though.

Flamfas

What is TalesGAF's verdict on Narikiri Dungeon X? It's one of the few titles I own but haven't beaten, but I really like what I've started of it. Just curious about what you all think.

Bladenic

I was so happy they gave Natalia and Guy second mystic artes. Not only because it was weird and unfair, but because their second MAs were my favorite in the game. Though Tear's Fortune Ark + extension was the most useful/OP.

Tales does this wierd thing where they put alot of work and effort to make most of their villians be well-intentioned extremists, and it largely pays off. It's just...the same tune so often. Even Abyss' and Vesperia's efforts just fall flat due to sheer repetition. It sucks, cuz they do put in good work on this front.

Seems like now is the best time to be a Tales fan with Xillia coming this year and Xillia 2 coming next year.

Maybe we won't have to wait 2-3 years for the next big Tales of game since NB seem to be more active now with bringing them over.

What is TalesGAF's verdict on Narikiri Dungeon X? It's one of the few titles I own but haven't beaten, but I really like what I've started of it. Just curious about what you all think.

A great game. The battle system is pretty awesome, with its own version of CC and being fast paced makes it great. It really has a lot of depth, with all the classes you could be and the fact you can recruit monsters down the road too.

Actually makes me want to dig up my PSP to get back into this now.

Bladenic

The videos I've seen look awesome, a Tales with a class system sounds so cool. I wish I hadn't imported Xillia 2 so I could have gotten NDX or Destiny 2 ;_;

Flamfas

Glad I'm not the only one who likes NDX. I'm tempted to play soon, but I also am enjoying Persona 1 right now and I'd rather not play two games at once ...

The changing classes is really neat. And Londrine seems cool from what little I've used of her.

FSLink

Banned
I'm in the final dungeon of NDX, still need to finish it off, but it's my favorite spinoff title easily, and one of my favorites overall. Great music, sprites, story's all right, Mel and Dio and Couleur are an adorable trio, with Londrine being a nice addition. It's also an impressive remake and is definitely not far from Destiny remake levels of how to do a remake right in this series. Including Phantasia X was a good bonus too.

The only thing I don't like about it is that with no item cool down and the low damage, the battle system can be sort of spammy despite having a CC like system.

Bladenic

Might start up my file in ToX2 again. I forget, did this game give any clues that you can check where you last left off?

You can press R1 to see what to do next. If you have a main chapter available it'll be shown with a red exclamation on the map. Finally if you don't have that, you probably need to pay off more debt.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ah, thanks. Couldn't remember if Xillia 1 and 2 had that.

Looks like I just needed to pay off part of the debt, so getting back into ToX2 shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Flamfas

The only thing I don't like about it is that with no item cool down and the low damage, the battle system can be sort of spammy despite having a CC like system.

Despite? Lol, CC was very spammy in ToDR (as was EG in Hearts).

But yeah, NDX is a good remake, on par with ToDR and ToP PSX (for it's its time)

I've beaten ToP on GBA, but the X edition has also been beckoning to me ... No spell pause alone is appealing, maybe I'll actually bother to get Suzu, too.

Young Magus

I wish that phantasia x was translated, and has anyone here played the recent translation? How does it differ from the a0 version?

FSLink

Banned
Despite? Lol, CC was very spammy in ToDR (as was EG in Hearts).

But yeah, NDX is a good remake, on par with ToDR and ToP PSX (for it's its time)

I've beaten ToP on GBA, but the X edition has also been beckoning to me ... No spell pause alone is appealing, maybe I'll actually bother to get Suzu, too.

Well at least early on in Destiny it's sort of strategic, it gets spammy pretty fast in NDX, lol. Yeah, it's about similar to EG in Hearts to me in how spammy it can get. I usually play on Hard or above so it's just me speaking from personal experience. Destiny remake had more emphasis on weakness (until you got the later broken artes) whereas Hearts and NDX seems like you can stick with the same few artes the entire game for the most part.

And the Phantasia Productions translation from what I played is very good, has more of a localized feel to it, and the bigger font looks really nice and professional. Also, that's an amazing new thread title. :( I want my Dragon Quest 7, Terry's Wonderland, and Rocket Slime 3.

Stuart444

Trailer is just the opening for the game, nothing new really.

It's the same as when they announced Xillia 1, announce it with the Opening and it hypes the fans up.

Loved the reactions from people.

Also I guess it means we're keeping the JP opening with the song just like with Xillia which I'm very happy about. Hope that confirms all future Tales games (not sure about Symphonia HD though, it has dual audio but is the op the same as the English version for us?) will have the JP openings since this is the second one in a row (for new titles) now.

Also I guess it means we're keeping the JP opening with the song just like with Xillia which I'm very happy about. Hope that confirms all future Tales games (not sure about Symphonia HD though, it has dual audio but is the op the same as the English version for us?) will have the JP openings since this is the second one in a row (for new titles) now.

I mean, it was a different case for Vesperia and Graces since they actually had English versions of the OP already made when it was released in Japan compared to having to create a new song like in Symphonia 2 and Abyss.

Sagitario

I really like Xillia 2's intro/animation.

Some GIFs I made in the announcement thread:

xillia2.gif
xillia2-2.gif

V1MsV.jpg

You can't really tell he was designed by Okumura. Thanks, Ufotable.

Vesperia and Graces had both English and Japanese versions of the OP in the game. I wish they'd continue that with Xillia, but it doesn't look like they will.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Vesperia and Graces had both English and Japanese versions of the OP in the game. I wish they'd continue that with Xillia, but it doesn't look like they will.
Either way, I'm glad they seem to be keeping Progress for Xillia. It's one of the better Tales OP songs to me.

Great battle system , very nice story ( require a bit of knowledge on phantasia events for a perfect enjoyment )

OnFire331

Maybe it's a bit soon for this question but what side of the story should I choose in the first playthrough of Xillia, Jude's or Milla's?

Ufotable makes everything amazing. If they go back to PiG I'll be so sad...

NB should really stick with ufotable, the openings of Xillia and Xillia 2 are easily the best in the series.

Stuart444

Pretty sure NB said they were only using Ufotable for Xillia (with Xillia 2 as well for consistency sake) so expect Production IG for the next mothership title.

I like PIG but can't deny they phoned it in for Graces opening. I wouldn't mind if they use Ufotable again though, the openings for Xillia 1 and 2 are fantastic. (along with every anime sequence in both games)

Top Bottom