• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Bladenic

Oh damn, that's gonna be a lot harder. I guess if they just kept it to MCs and final bosses it could be really easy. Definitely gonna give it a try though.

solid mike

I've never played a Tales game before and I'm thinking Xillia is a good start. Can anyone give me a quick unbiased comparison between Xillia and Graces f's strengths and weaknesses?

Arthea

Can't really say I'm a fan of series, although somehow I played almost all mainline games. That probably counts for something. Every time I say that I'm done with Tales, Bamco releases a game I like! Kinda suspicious behavior, no?
My favourites are ToD, ToA and ToG.
Can't wait for ToX and hope it'll deliver.

I've never played a Tales game before and I'm thinking Xillia is a good start. Can anyone give me a quick unbiased comparison between Xillia and Graces f's strengths and weaknesses?

Can't say about ToX, not released yet.
But ToG strengths lie in gameplay, which is great, deep and fun, while story is meh, and charaters aren't particularly great, it doesn't look particularly good either.

Crunch King

Neo Member
I don't have time to go into specifics, but yes, Xillia is better than Graces. Better cast, better graphics, better plot, better combat. Just better.

FSLink

Banned
I don't have time to go into specifics, but yes, Xillia is better than Graces. Better cast, better graphics, better plot, better combat. Just better.

What? Xillia has the crappy Hearts boss syndrome, where they auto break out of combos, and Graces just has better subsystems that complement the battle system itself.

Xillia has better everything else, yeah. Graphics is kinda iffy since Graces has a really clean look due to being an HD port of a Wii game, so it actually looks pretty nice but of course it can't compare to a PS3 game.

Arthea

What? Xillia has the crappy Hearts boss syndrome, where they auto break out of combos, and Graces just has better subsystems that complement the battle system itself.

way to kill my anticipation! :(
Is it really bad or just not as good as ToG's?

FSLink

Banned
way to kill my anticipation! :(
Is it really bad or just not as good as ToG's?

It's just not as good as ToG's. I mean yeah, some of Graces f's bosses were crappy too (mostly the f arc bosses or the ones that were "buffed" to not be weak like the Wii version...and they overdid it in some cases), but in Xillia, it's present in the majority of them...so it's more of a hit and run type thing instead of encouraging you to do combos and make good use of Link Artes and stuff. It's really silly. Random battles are tons of fun in Xillia, and I even found it more fun than Graces sometimes despite being less strategic. Link artes, swapping in reserve characters mid-battle (unfortunately not in Xillia 2), and some other stuff just make it a really fun, fast paced, battle system. It just doesn't reach the strategic highs of Destiny remake or Graces.

Arthea

It's just not as good as ToG's. I mean yeah, some of Graces f's bosses were crappy too (mostly the f arc bosses or the ones that were "buffed" to not be weak like the Wii version...and they overdid it in some cases), but in Xillia, it's present in the majority of them...so it's more of a hit and run type thing instead of encouraging you to do combos and make good use of Link Artes and stuff. It's really silly. Random battles are tons of fun in Xillia, and I even found it more fun than Graces sometimes despite being less strategic. Link artes, swapping in reserve characters mid-battle (unfortunately not in Xillia 2), and some other stuff just make it a really fun, fast paced, battle system. It just doesn't reach the strategic highs of Destiny remake or Graces.

Ya, I see what you mean. In main ToG battle system seems to be perfect to me and I liked addition to bs form f arc too, I never had so much fun killing stuff in Tales before. I can't imagine ToX being more fun, but if it is, yahoo!
Well I'll play soon enough and will see.

PKrockin

Finally decided to order this.

Now to wait a decade for it to ship.

817HCt1%2BkuL._SL1500_.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Haha, I figured you'd order Innocence R sooner than later. :p

I suppose that that means we'll be playing it together soon enough. I decided to put it on hold / play it from time to time because I want to get another thing out of the way first.

Xillia has better everything else, yeah. Graphics is kinda iffy since Graces has a really clean look due to being an HD port of a Wii game, so it actually looks pretty nice but of course it can't compare to a PS3 game.
This man said everything I wanted to say, but I truly do get the feeling that people will like Xillia better overall by virtue of the scene direction, the characterization, music, and overall narrative until it falls apart in a Tales sort of way.

But while combat in Xillia is fun because everyone is broken to a degree, it just doesn't measure up to Graces/Rebirth/Destiny R standards to me at all. And like you said, the bosses aren't designed well at all, but bosses haven't been designed well since Hearts.

aravuus

I'm trying not to look at anything Xillia related so I don't know anything about the game, but does it have anything even remotely like Graces F's title system? You know, tons of something to level up for skills, attribute boosts and so on, alongside with the normal 1-200 level progression? I love systems like that just too much, Xenoblade's skill and art levels are probably the second best example after ToGF's titles.

Or skills you can learn from equipment, like in Vesperia?

demidar

I'm trying not to look at anything Xillia related so I don't know anything about the game, but does it have anything even remotely like Graces F's title system? You know, tons of something to level up for skills, attribute boosts and so on, alongside with the normal 1-200 level progression? I love systems like that just too much, Xenoblade's skill and art levels are probably the second best example after ToGF's titles.

Xillia 1 only goes up to 100 levels (correct me if I'm wrong).

Xiul

No, think more like the cristarium in FF13.

OnFire331

Can you guys talk about Xillia's positives in detail for once? Based on all your posts, the game is shit, and I know that's not true. You're killing my hype.

Innocence R is quite enjoyable! Have fun.

Also, another update on the contest. Only ONE boss, and as noted before, it's a non-final boss.

https://twitter.com/AbyssalC/status/354605450056048640

Once you figure it out, it makes sense.

I already figured it out then. I was on the lookout for other ones.

demidar

So... I just was checking in a different thread but... Kayos finally got an avatar bet and lost?

Yeah, he bet that the most recent announcement wasn't a Xillia 2 localization, and common sense and history was on his side. But then it happened and kayos rages.

Soriku

So... I just was checking in a different thread but... Kayos finally got an avatar bet and lost?

I don't think "finally" is the right word to use here :p

Yeah, he bet that the most recent announcement wasn't a Xillia 2 localization, and common sense and history was on his side. But then it happened and kayos rages.

Actually he said it would be Xillia 2 but a while back he was saying it wouldn't be coming so I made a bet with him.

Proven

I don't think "finally" is the right word to use here :p

Actually he said it would be Xillia 2 but a while back he was saying it wouldn't be coming so I made a bet with him.

Didn't he say that he actually knew about the Xillia 2 announcement (well, guessed it correctly) and was told to divert attention? And he still made a bet? Which he knew he would lose?

Proven

He made a bet a while before that. Like 1-2 months ago?
Head hurts. I'm starving for lunch. I don't have the memory for this anymore.

Graces has duels? The rival battles are kinda boring but I like them as a part of the story, and they usually have good battle themes.
Graces had Asbel vs. Sophia, Asbel vs. Hubert, Asbel vs. Malik (my memory is iffy on this one), and Cheria vs. Pascal (might have been F only). You accessed them by activating a skit at a skit near certain locations in the world. They were pretty intense. At the right difficulty level they only needed to combo you 2 or 3 times to kill you, but you only had to combo them around 5 times to win, so it didn't feel as unfair as most Tales boss fights get with you running away forever, looking for an opening.

It makes me sad hearing about Xillia being a step down, especially in boss fights.

PKrockin

I might start Innocence DS to get an idea of how much was improved in the remake. I won't get R for a few weeks anyway.

TalesGAF, out of curiosity, how many of you are fluent in Japanese?

Nowhere near fluent, but I know basic grammar and vocab, as well as about 1000 kanji.

demidar

The rival fights were brutal on Chaos and above, because the rivals actually take the stats and equipment you gave them and buffs them up. Because I was so efficient and grinding it bit me in the ass, only took a single combo to kill me and I had to whittle them down with 10+ combos.

I actually couldn't defeat Malik until I unequipped him because he had a Rescue stat in a piece of armour that had a chance at giving him back 5000 health each time I hit him.

Rhapsody

Banned

Very basic, and even then, it's been awhile since my last class. It's not too hard for me to listen to the dialogue in Tales.
I get a basic understanding but no way am I close to translating things for people properly.

Seda

There are a few characters I've picked up on, but that's about it for me too. Yayyyyy. I still find imports enjoyable, oddly enough. heh.

Yep. When I was playing Vesperia PS3 there were a handful of characters that showed up repeatedly in skills and artes that I picked up on momentarily (for example I knew which skills were "Shining Fang" something, lol) as I was playing, but that's about it.

I've only taken two semesters of basic Japanese in college. I can read Hiragana/Katakana, but my Kanji skills suck. I can pick out a few phrases here and there, but not enough to translate games for myself.

demidar

There are a few characters I've picked up on, but that's about it for me too. Yayyyyy. I still find imports enjoyable, oddly enough. heh.

Maybe it's because the only thing you can understand is tone which you filter through your mind and your imagination makes it better than what a native speaker would actually hear.

For myself, I've memorized most of the most used kana, don't know a lick of kanji. I've been meaning to get better (this is all done on spare time) but well... I'm really lazy.

Flamfas

We are the same person, Seda, I'm convinced. That's what I do also, hehe

Maybe it's because the only thing you can understand is tone which you filter through your mind and your imagination makes it better than what a native speaker would actually hear.

No doubt that happens. It's surprising how much you can pick up with tone and the cinematics alone.

He made one with me and I lost.

Anyway, about the contest, what happens if everyone just starts giving each other the answers? Isn't that considered cheating?

I believe they'll randomly pick the top scoring entries. So if everyone guessed them correctly, you'll have a random chance of winning something.

Top Bottom