• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Esura

Banned
It means to protect

Oh....ooooohhhh....lol. They do say protect a lot in the English version of Graces f so its probably the same in the Japanese version.

I wish there was more Tales of Graces f figures. Game starting to feel like the red haired stepchild of Tales of stuff.

Mieu

Sophie would always say that next is Asbel in JP ver. I have a ToD DC copu and I have no idea how tonplay it haha

Oh....ooooohhhh....lol. They do say protect a lot in the English version of Graces f so its probably the same in the Japanese version.

I wish there was more Tales of Graces f figures. Game starting to feel like the red haired stepchild of Tales of stuff.

They seem to haven't really released a set of figures based off a whole game anymore after Vesperia. Instead, now it's just a mix of about everyone so look forward to all the Leon and Yuri figures you'll be pulling!

Oh, but yeah, they have been neglecting Graces in the very nice tall figures department. Maybe once they run out of Vesperia characters.

Esura

Banned
守る

He used that word a lot ...

A LOT

Do he say it more than Asbel saying "protect" in the English version or is it about the same?

They seem to haven't really released a set of figures based off a whole game anymore after Vesperia. Instead, now it's just a mix of about everyone so look forward to all the Leon and Yuri figures you'll be pulling!

Oh, but yeah, they have been neglecting Graces in the very nice tall figures department. Maybe once they run out of Vesperia characters.

It's sad. I usually don't get figures higher than 70 bucks but for an Alter Sophie statue I would pay anything. So far, the only figures Graces f has are those Nendoroid Petites, which I own.

But they seem to pump out a lot of Xillia figures though...

I've only got the nendo petits, and Alter's Rita, Flynn, Milla and Jude. I hope Yuri gets a rerelease someday cause he's just so damned expensive now.

It's the same.

take a shoot everytime protect (or mamoru ) is used.

"i couldn't protect her "

"i'll protect her"

"i'll protect my friends !"

" we'll just have to protect <insert name>"

Seriously ..mamoru or a variant of it ... it's the same thing really. The graces translation was well done. if you have a "protect" overdose , it's the game script you need to blame.

....Please don't tell me the theme of Xillia is "friendship".

The theme of xillia is : "Unwavering Convictions"

kewlmyc

The theme of xillia is : "Unwavering Convictions"
It's resolution/will.

EDIT: Beaten by the post countdown limit. T_T
Wikipedia says: "RPG of Unwavering Convictions"

Sounds kinda generic, but at least it's not friendship. If I remember, Xillia 2's is about "are you willing to destroy the world in order to save a girl". Can't wait for that one.

Graces is: "RPG to Discover the Strength to Protect" for reference.

Jeez, talk about hammering the message down your throat.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Sounds kinda generic, but at least it's not friendship. If I remember, Xillia 2's is about "are you willing to destroy the world in order to save a girl". Can't wait for that one.

Rofl. That's not Xillia 2's theme. It's subtitle is to weave new futures. rofl.

Well it's all about the execution, and you'll see that some character are clearly using that sentence by their motto ...

I deeply think that what matters is how you use a theme , not how original your theme is.

Besides, the xillia 2 sentence you have in your mind is just the opening question on the game not the theme.
[edit]i guess i was beaten on that one.

Jeez, talk about hammering the message down your throat.

lol.. trully

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah, but luckily the theme isn't thrown in your face like some other Tales games. So the theme doesn't really come up blatantly or anything like that.

Was waiting for someone to post that vid. lol

Esura

Banned
I've only got the nendo petits, and Alter's Rita, Flynn, Milla and Jude. I hope Yuri gets a rerelease someday cause he's just so damned expensive now.

That Alter Rita and Milla looks so pretty but I'm still holding out for an Alter Sophie.

I only got Flynn's Alter figure. And I do love it.

I do have Estelle's nendo petit as well. I want more.

I got a set of the Tales of Nendo Petits from AmiAmi. It came with all of them, plus an extra and this Leon dude or whatever all for like 40 bucks...before shipping.

I got a set of the Tales of Nendo Petits from AmiAmi. It came with all of them, plus an extra and this Leon dude or whatever all for like 40 bucks...before shipping.

Haha, Leon.

I never feel up to buying a full box since I like buying them one at a time and seeing what I get. Buying a full box seems to take the magic away.

Esura

Banned
Haha, Leon.

I never feel up to buying a full box since I like buying them one at a time and seeing what I get. Buying a full box seems to take the magic away.

I didn't actually want all of them to be honest. I just wanted Sophie (my Sophie fandom knows no limits) but I'm wary of buying stuff off Ebay nowadays as well as charging waaay too much for one of them and buying them individually on import sites was too random for me.

Flamfas

Doesn't match the ridiculousness of racism and Tales of Rebirth. Graces is competent in comparison.

I'll have to reevaluate once the patch comes out, but I watched lanyn's videos all the way through, and the theme never bothered me. Guess I'm fortunate it doesn't.

MechaX

Got back Graces F from my friend and now I'm trying to finish the f arc.

Now I remember why I gave away the game in the first place; this game has some of the worst bosses from a mechanical standpoint in the entire series.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Man, I hope they do a Tales of Destiny collection, which includes Destiny PS2 and Destiny 2.

Seronei

I really need to get to finishing Graces F. Can't be much left but since I don't have a PS3 (yet) I have to play it at my brothers place so I haven't gotten the opportunity to finish it.
I'm OMW to go into space I repaired the canon last time I played it
I heard lots of it having horrible characters and a bad story but I'm not having many problems with it, Asbel is annoying but for the most part I'm enjoying the character interactions a lot. Haven't put in much thought behind the story but interestingly the actual plot has never been why I played Tales. It's been the awesome battle system(I can't say I fully understand the battle system in Graces but I'm still enjoying it a lot, not sure I like it more than Vesperia though. The lack of MP is very much an improvement though.) and the character interactions that have appealed to me.

Man, I hope they do a Tales of Destiny collection, which includes Destiny PS2 and Destiny 2.

Was going to say that Destiny 2 had no relation but I looked it up and apparently there was proper Destiny 2 in Japan. Today I learned, is it good?

Stuart444

Was going to say that Destiny 2 had no relation but I looked it up and apparently there was proper Destiny 2. Today I learned, is it good?

I've not played too much but from what I have played and read (read the whole plot before that was when I never even considered importing any games so I figured there was no harm in it).

Certainly recommend if you enjoyed Tales of Destiny.

(at some point, I'll get back to it and complete it though. Maybe once I get more of my backlog is done)

Seronei

I've not played too much but from what I have played and read (read the whole plot before that was when I never even considered importing any games so I figured there was no harm in it).

Certainly recommend if you enjoyed Tales of Destiny.

(at some point, I'll get back to it and complete it though. Maybe once I get more of my backlog is done)

Does it even have an English translation? I'm not the biggest fan of the 2D tales combat, feels incredibly stiff especially after having played Vesperia/Graces F.
Same problem with playing Symphonia, I really loved the battle system when I played it back in the day but now when I try to play it it feels incredibly stiff. Surprised me a lot since I didn't really feel like Vesperia's combat was better when I played it. But when you actually compare them side by side the difference is massive.

Stuart444

Does it even have an English translation? I'm not the biggest fan of the 2D tales combat, feels incredibly stiff especially after having played Vesperia/Graces F.
Same problem with playing Symphonia, I really loved the battle system when I played it back in the day but now when I try to play it it feels incredibly stiff. Surprised me a lot since I didn't really feel like Vesperia's combat was better when I played it. But when you actually compare them side by side the difference is massive.

A english patch is being worked on but no, it has no english translation yet (though there is a menu patch by Phantasia Productions which I've tried).

2D battle system works pretty well but Destiny PS2 (the remake) is far better. Still, fans of the destiny games should play it if they get the opportunity.

Rhapsody

Banned
Was going to say that Destiny 2 had no relation but I looked it up and apparently there was proper Destiny 2 in Japan. Today I learned, is it good?
If you haven't played the first one, I don't really recommend it since it's more enjoyable once you know some of Destiny's cast.
The story's pretty nonsensical and weird, kind of like Graces, imo. The battle system has a lot of issues. The good part is that it was the fastest 2D Tales until Destiny Remake. The bad was that the game wasn't balanced well so physical attacks because near useless at the very end.

It's worth it to go through and it is fun. It just has a lot of flaws.

Shouta

Destiny 2's story is not bad but yeah, you get more out of it if you're familiar with Destiny. This is not only because of the lore, but because Destiny 2's story is kind centered around the lore of Destiny itself. It's way more nonsensical if you're not familiar with the story and history of Destiny.

Xillia's story is far better than most of the recent games IMO. Xillia 2 gets a little more fuzzy but the writing sticks much closer to the themes of the two games than other Tales do.

Link1110

Yes! It has a fun battle system and probably my favorite Tales soundtrack (Coup de Crace is the best boss theme ever.)

The main character is basically Snow from ff13, but he fits the mood of a Tales game better than whatever ff13 was trying to be.

Overall, the character interactions are fun, and Kyle and Loni/Judas play off each other wonderfully. Bonus if you like Gundam Wing since you'll love who plays Loni and Judas.

Mieu

• Phantasia Legendary RPG
  • Destiny RPG of Destiny
  • Destiny 2 RPG To Release Destiny
  • Eternia RPG of Eternity and Bonds
  • Symphonia To Resonate With You RPG
  • Rebirth Where You Will Be Reborn RPG
  • Legendia RPG Where Bonds Spin Legends
  • Abyss To Know the Meaning of One's Birth RPG
  • Tempest RPG that Awakens the Soul
  • Innocence RPG To Tie Thoughts Together
  • Vesperia RPG to Enforce "Justice"
  • Hearts RPG to Meet the Heart
  • Graces RPG to Know the Strength to Protect
  • Xillia RPG of Unwavering Convictions
  • Xillia 2 An RPG where your choices spin the future

Arthea

You people don't watch much anime if you need ToG to learn word mamoru!
Also bonds of friendship are eternal!

I would so buy Destiny collection in english, of course

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Top Bottom