• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Yazuka

Yeah, probably only the preorder page.

Got a call from my Gamestop today and they said they would be getting some collectors edition of Tales of Xillia. So I upgraded my preorder to the CE. :)

Bladenic

So I beat Xillia 2 a few days ago. Some general thoughts but I will spoiler just to be nice

I finished the last two bosses on Normal. One because I just wanted to beat it. Two because they were fucking hard and unfair.

Endings -
i thought both endings kinda sucked. Tales really needs to expand their endings, one measly cutscene is not enough honestly. At least Vesperia showed pictures of what characters did afterward, most don't even have that much. I want to show if, say, Milla left again or if she stayed with Jude (I'm guessing no but eh).

Dunno that I'll bother with the EX dungeon, but I do want to try and clear the debt and do the cameo battle (which I think I need to do the EX dungeon to grind for).

I'm gonna wait to play it in English before making a last call, but it was a really good game brought down by some strange design choices that I hope are ditched for the future. Tentatively I'd give it like a 8.5, definitely a top tier Tales game.

Datschge

Which was a big rehash of Phantasia Narikiri X =p

There's nothing to know about them, before working with Tales related stuff, they were developing some crap Visual Novel out of licensed anime on DS.

Actually Keroro RPG is heavily based on Hearts DS (which makes Hearts Vita's departure from the original the more curious).

Their list of games on their own site: http://www.7thchord.co.jp/page/service.html

Didn't realize they are that young (established in July 2008, Keroro RPG was released mere 20 months later). In any case their grasp of battle system mechanics is the best outside of Tatsuro Udo so I hope they get to do an original Tales game sometime.

Datschge

Oh yes you're completely right, don't know why I said Narikiri X instead of Hearts (but isn't Narikiri X itself some kind of rehash of Hearts ?)

Not really, it shared some staff (being the last ever 2D Tales game ;_; ) but the battle system is quite different.

Datschge

2D aerial friendly battle system that doesn't use TP. I would call them similar at that level

If you put it that way, yes. But "a system not using TP" and "aerial friendly" has been very common in the last couple Tales games, and the unique part about NDX is the application of Symphonia's shared gauge bar on the CC/EG system as well as the extensive costume/job/class system have no counterparts in Hearts DS.

Flamfas

Fair enough. I don't think 3D battle systems have ever been able to do aerial as well as 2D, though (granted I haven't played Hearts R yet and that seems to have some new mechanics).

Datschge

I agree. I personally think that aerial is somewhat superfluous in 3D as originally it was a mean to add an additional movement vector in the limiting 2D plane while in 3D this movement flexibility was essentially already covered by free run, combined with which it tend to add complexity that's more able to slow down the battles instead adding fun.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I agree. I personally think that aerial is somewhat superfluous in 3D as originally it was a mean to add an additional movement vector in the limiting 2D plane while in 3D this movement flexibility was essentially already covered by free run, combined with which it tend to add complexity that's more able to slow down the battles instead adding fun.

While I do think this is somewhat true, doing combos in the air adds more of a definite staggering and the ability to juggle off ground. There isn't that much of a difference but it does exist. It just has to be somewhat more meaningful.

Jiraiza

So I beat Xillia 2 a few days ago. Some general thoughts but I will spoiler just to be nice

I finished the last two bosses on Normal. One because I just wanted to beat it. Two because they were fucking hard and unfair.

Endings -
i thought both endings kinda sucked. Tales really needs to expand their endings, one measly cutscene is not enough honestly. At least Vesperia showed pictures of what characters did afterward, most don't even have that much. I want to show if, say, Milla left again or if she stayed with Jude (I'm guessing no but eh).

Dunno that I'll bother with the EX dungeon, but I do want to try and clear the debt and do the cameo battle (which I think I need to do the EX dungeon to grind for).

I'm gonna wait to play it in English before making a last call, but it was a really good game brought down by some strange design choices that I hope are ditched for the future. Tentatively I'd give it like a 8.5, definitely a top tier Tales game.

It's okay, here's how I see the ending.

Milla visits Jude every other day to takes care of his needs and go on intimate dates.

Yeah, screw you Namco.

Flamfas

If you can find an actual source citing the trademarks, go for it!

(I want to make a thread, but I don't want to cite a source I can't read >_>)

Soriku

So I heard Hideo Baba wanted to stay on the PS3 for awhile longer before moving over to the PS4? Is this true because I will be a sad panda.

Yes.

"Compared to the existing consoles like the Xbox 360 or PS3, the PS4 and Xbox One have much improved CPU, GPU, and memory," Baba told us, "So I think they [have] more potential, especially with visual effects. I'm afraid I don't have any plans to release for titles for the Xbox One or PS4, because my policy is to release Tales titles to the console which most of the fans want to play on."

When asked about the Wii U, Baba said "Same as the Xbox One and PS4, I don't have any plans to release titles for the Wii U."

Baba announced Tales of Symphonia Chronicles last week - a few days after quashing rumors of it as speculation. The HD bundle of Symphonia and Dawn of the New World is due in North America in early 2014, and is coming to the PS3. Speaking to *****, Baba revealed he still sees the PS3 as the key console for the Tales series at present.

"The reason why Xillia was released only on PS3 was because that is the console where most of the users want to play Tales games," Baba told *****. "When more and more users decide to buy a PS4 and want the Tales series on that platform, that will be when we re-assess things."

Rhapsody

Banned
Finished Xillia 2 just now and got only 2 of the endings so far. My opinion's probably going to be different from others but here's what I thought about the ending. Don't highlight obviously if you haven't beaten it.

Normal Ending - A little short, but not too bad. It's sad to sacrifice Elle after all that time you spend with her. The very end scene was nice though with Ludger shedding tears after seeing who will be Elle's mom.

True Ending - Another sad ending, but good that you actually get to save this Elle. I actually thought it was a nice bittersweet ending. What Ludger fought for didn't go to waste, even if he had to sacrifice himself. Also nice to see Elle older and how her personality is now.

As for the endings not going into detail of the ToX1 cast, I didn't mind at all. You can pretty much guess how they continued to live their lives, and Elle did keep in touch with them too. Their story's already been told. I didn't need a Graces f type ending where they had to explain almost everything. Every ending was rather sad in a way, but it was nice being different from other Tales.

I know a lot of people didn't like Ludger being silent, but I didn't mind it so much later on. IMO, they did a pretty good job for making a silent protag actually feel important and that you can understand how Ludger was feeling in certain events unlike some games. Less was more for me. Of course, I wouldn't want another silent lead in a Tales game.

Overall, I thought the game was great. Being a sequel really helped in a lot of ways, including the strength of the cast. They already developed so they didn't have to go through those stages most JRPG characters go through. The battle system is the best as far as a 3D Symphonia-styled battle system goes. Having less of a linear path in a Tales game was actually pretty interesting.

The only issue I have with ToX2 are mostly issues that retained from Xillia 1 along with other things. OL being tied to linking is really dumb. Ruins solo stuff and hinders some enjoyment if 4 people wanted to play the game. Recycled content was slightly annoying for the field areas. Debt system was interesting but slightly annoying when I just wanted to see the next main chapter.

Gonna let it sit before truly judging ToX2. I liked it more than the first Xillia though (which I also enjoyed). The battle system is one of my favorites. They just need to fix linking, bosses, and make it more multiplayer friendly. Destiny PS2 still reigns as my favorite battle system. I don't know what to think about the ending quite yet. It was good but lacked that extra punch to make it even more emotional, but still pretty good for Tales. Abyss still has my favorite ending though, even though that game isn't even close to being one of my favorites lol.

ToX2 experimented a lot more than I thought it would've. Making the story a lot darker was neat. Also a bit surprised that they're willing to make so many button combinations. I hope they stick with it. Side stepping, aerial combos and "otg", and of course the returning Artes Ball was good.

RoeBear

Ok so I'm getting really excited about Xillia, no idea why. I've only played Symphonia 1,2, and Graces. Where should I put my expectations for this game between the ones that I've played?

Also bear in mind my avatar, as it's Kratos.

Rhapsody

Banned
Ok so I'm getting really excited about Xillia, no idea why. I've only played Symphonia 1,2, and Graces. Where should I put my expectations for this game between the ones that I've played?

Also bear in mind my avatar, as it's Kratos.

If those are the only titles you've played, I think you can expect it being between Graces and Symphonia. You'll like Symphonia more most likely but Xillia's still a lot of fun. Pretty fun battle system and the story pacing is decent at the start nor does it drag on.

Helloween

Just had this emailed to me about my Xillia Collectors edition (EU)

Dear Ben,

Your Tales of Xillia: Milla Maxwell Collector's Edition is now available!

We shall proceed to the shipping and debit of your order according to the information that you have provided us.

And the rest is usual invoices gumf. Still, that sounds early. Be nice if it ships out now!

Just had this emailed to me about my Xillia Collectors edition (EU)

Dear Ben,

Your Tales of Xillia: Milla Maxwell Collector's Edition is now available!

We shall proceed to the shipping and debit of your order according to the information that you have provided us.

And the rest is usual invoices gumf. Still, that sounds early. Be nice if it ships out now!

Received the same email, they even charged my credit card.

Stuart444

Remember, don't assume anything. Orders are handled by Pepita rather than Namco so they may have made a mistake and things may not be shipped even if we have gotten charged (which I have)

Contacted @TalesofU about it as soon as I got the e-mail though.

Stuart444

They are charging now so they can start preparing the packages for the release. They aren't coming early And it wasn't actually said that the site would charge upon shipping, I think people think that because they're used to more famous sites like Amazon who indeed do that. In any case, don't panic! This will be put up on the site, but you have until the 25th to cancel still if you want to. Please don't though!

Direct from Isshak, the EU community manager

Yes! Got my confirmation email and invoice now to await for the game =D, for those who played Xillia already, did you like starting off with Jude or Milla?

Rhapsody

Banned
This EX dungeon in Xillia 2 is a real pain. But at least getting costumes is a lot easier compared to getting Narikiri Dolls in Destiny (although that was really worth it).

I didn't realize Xillia's release date is so soon. Guess I'll be revisiting these maps sooner than I thought.

Bladenic

This EX dungeon in Xillia 2 is a real pain. But at least getting costumes is a lot easier compared to getting Narikiri Dolls in Destiny (although that was really worth it).

I didn't realize Xillia's release date is so soon. Guess I'll be revisiting these maps sooner than I thought.

I probably won't bother, but I did look up the prizes list and
having a Julius costume kind of takes the sting out of him not being playable.

Thorgal

Might as well Ask it here also since this thread has more traffic.

Speaking of VA's in Xilia 2 : i hope they find 2 good ones for Stahn and Cless to do them justice.

anyone have some good choices ?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
OK, I haven't complained in awhile, any signs that they will localize the already translated Tales VITA games in JPN (HRTS/Innosc)
yiBGxAS.jpg

Edit: Voice acting its all over the place

Has the digital per order for TOX started in the US PSN ? I can't buy the physical copy because my disc drive died :( I want the DLC too.

Top Bottom