• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

FSLink

Banned
Still can't believe Tales of Xillia is coming out so soon. Need to hurry up and finish SMT4...but I can't hurry up because it's so damn goooood. Best RPG I've played in forever.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Maybe Kayos is a fraud and doesn't know the characters.

That's exactly it. =D

Still can't believe Tales of Xillia is coming out so soon. Need to hurry up and finish SMT4...but I can't hurry up because it's so damn goooood. Best RPG I've played in forever.

It's good. I don't think it's 9+/10 good. It's definitely fun and one of the more entertaining RPGs I've played recently.

Flamfas

aw too bad, was fun.

Anyway, the cheatsheet I made myself

1073747_546425998747249_599494113_o.jpg

It's HUGE so open in new tab if you want to see.

I am now noticing though that my X1 Musee is actually X2 Musee, this will bother me >_>

kayos90

aw too bad, was fun.

Anyway, the cheatsheet I made myself

It's HUGE so open in new tab if you want to see.

I am now noticing though that my X1 Musee is actually X2 Musee, this will bother me >_>

I looked at it and I could've guess what half of them was without looking at any sheet. Abby should've made it harder.

Rhapsody

Banned
Cool, I got them all right. I just better hope my submission when through. They replied saying I would need to also put my country to be fully entered. All I did was hit reply and told them what it was. As long as it didn't filter out or something, I'm set.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't think I'll be playing ToX alongside everyone else again (tbh, I don't have the English copy preordered). Four playthroughs/2 plat runs are enough for me for now, haha.

It's SMT4 and Luigi's Mansion 2 from here on out. SMT4 is toooooo gooooood.

FSLink

Banned
I don't think I'll be playing ToX alongside everyone else again (tbh, I don't have the English copy preordered). Four playthroughs/2 plat runs are enough for me for now, haha.

It's SMT4 and Luigi's Mansion 2 from here on out. SMT4 is toooooo gooooood.

I still have yet to finish LM2. D: SMT4 keeps surprising me on how great it is. Loving the remixed SMT1 battle theme. Likely GOTY for sure.
I got a Collector's and a Day One edition for Xillia preordered, plus I'll be on leave around the time it comes out so I'll need something new to play, haha. I'm also not as sick of the locations in Xillia since I only finished it on Milla's side in Japanese.

Tokitowa looks like such garbage.

Game Informer said:
Intense Boss Battles

A highlight of any Tales game is those boss battles that make you work for victory. Not to mention, you get awarded extra bonuses at the end of fights depending on your time and largest combo. Working toward getting a great time and chaining up as many attacks possible is tough in itself, but brace yourself for bosses who dare you to take advantage of every avenue possible. Let them attack you from behind or neglect to defend, and the cost is grave. Of course, this also means that when you outsmart these bosses and truly punish them, it’s all the more rewarding.

....lol. More like brace yourself for bosses who randomly break out of combos, or heal at an absurdly fast pace that you have to lower the difficulty for the first time to Normal.

Haha, I do look forward to seeing everyone enjoy Xillia.

Definitely too soon for me to go back into it (and really after breaking the game with the grade shop, I almost refuse to go through it without grade shop ever again), not to mention I got my DW8 to keep me busy forever and ever.

....lol. More like brace yourself for bosses who randomly break out of combos, or heal at an absurdly fast pace that you have to lower the difficulty for the first time to Normal.

You forget the bosses that go into overlimit every two minutes and you spend that time basically running away so they won't mystic artes you.

kayos90

Haha, I do look forward to seeing everyone enjoy Xillia.

Definitely too soon for me to go back into it (and really after breaking the game with the grade shop, I almost refuse to go through it without grade shop ever again), not to mention I got my DW8 to keep me busy forever and ever.

GI will probably give it an 8 or somewhere around there. I'm gonna assume it'll be around 75 metacritic.

PKrockin

Woah, Xillia is finally almost out. Feels like forever since Graces.

why would you even do such a thing

You forget the bosses that go into overlimit every two minutes and you spend that time basically running away so they won't mystic artes you.

So, Tales of Vesperia?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Definitely better than Tokitowa.
Anything is better than Tokitowa!

Anything! Even Sonic 06 because that game's actually funny in a "my brain is melting" sort of way.

I still have yet to finish LM2. D: SMT4 keeps surprising me on how great it is. Loving the remixed SMT1 battle theme. Likely GOTY for sure.
I got a Collector's and a Day One edition for Xillia preordered, plus I'll be on leave around the time it comes out so I'll need something new to play, haha. I'm also not as sick of the locations in Xillia since I only finished it on Milla's side in Japanese.
I looooove the SMT1 battle theme, too. I was saying that it reminded me so much of SMT1 and SMT2 that I wish I'd replayed both games prior to starting SMT4. So many nods to those games, and I'm feeling rather satisfied with the game.

Ah, have fun with Jude's side when you do play it~

It's so weird. I have three versions of Tales of Graces f (the JP, NA, and EU versions), but I'm not as inclined to get a NA version of Xillia at all. And I liked the game. Hm.

Or steal items from enemies that heal themselves otherwise they'll keep healing themselves and you're wondering why you're not knocking the enemy down fast enough so Leia can steal the gummies from them.

I don't think I really lowered the difficulty to Normal or Second from Hard for bosses. But they are annoying as hell for the exact reasons you posted, and because they like to go into OVL for no reason and use their hi-ougi for laughs. I don't like how it's designed for you to free run away from the hi-ougi. That's kinda lame. There's one boss in the game who I can clearly remember encouraging you to run from the attack that'll start the hi-ougi, and I didn't like that at all.

The bosses are just plain badly-designed. And they have been since Tales of Hearts. It's something I want them to fix for the next Tales game. They have to. Normal battles are fun and you're able to use all the tools you want in-battle in those cases because you're not very restricted in a sense. In boss battles post-Hearts, you're only relying on a few set of attacks and you can't really take advantage of your entire toolset because of some limitations like inadequate timing, combo limitations to 12 hits, etc.

why would you even do such a thing
I don't know. -_-

One thing I did like about bosses (especially the elemental ones) was how easy it was to break this game's elemental resistance system.

With good enough planning of accessories and armors, you can become basically invincible against certain bosses.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
One thing I did like about bosses (especially the elemental ones) was how easy it was to break this game's elemental resistance system.

With good enough planning of accessories and armors, you can become basically invincible against certain bosses.
Yep. Like I've said in the past, Xillia is extraordinarily easy to break.

And yeah, the bosses are just bad from a design standpoint. This isn't about difficulty; it's about how they're designed.

I don't like playing on Chaos. Anyway, Xillia's is worse from a pure design standpoint.

I would take poor design over how pitifully easy every boss was in Graces F even on Chaos. Ended up with some of the most boring boss fights in any tales of game thus far simply due to how easy it was to abuse the battle system and completely trivialize the entire game.

PKrockin

I know almost nothing about Xillia, but I heard Jude is a medical student or something? Tell me this means we finally got a dude healer this time. After Mint, Farah, Raine, Tear, Estelle, Marta, Cheria, etc. it would be refreshing.

I know almost nothing about Xillia, but I heard Jude is a medical student or something? Tell me this means we finally got a dude healer this time. After Mint, Farah, Raine, Tear, Estelle, Marta, Cheria, etc. it would be refreshing.

You mean like the main healer in the game or someone who can heal?

Jude isn't really the primary healer, just that he has some healing moves (which are good just limited in the range around him).

Elise and Leia are more like the main healers in this game, with Elise focusing on area heals and Leia on single target heals.

FSLink

Banned
I don't think I really lowered the difficulty to Normal or Second from Hard for bosses. But they are annoying as hell for the exact reasons you posted, and because they like to go into OVL for no reason and use their hi-ougi for laughs. I don't like how it's designed for you to free run away from the hi-ougi. That's kinda lame. There's one boss in the game who I can clearly remember encouraging you to run from the attack that'll start the hi-ougi, and I didn't like that at all.

I had to do it on the final boss. Other than that, I kept it on Hard the entire time.
I would take poor design over how pitifully easy every boss was in Graces F even on Chaos. Ended up with some of the most boring boss fights in any tales of game thus far simply due to how easy it was to abuse the battle system and completely trivialize the entire game.

Uh, taking advantage of the battle system's subsystems and the way it works SHOULD make it easier, that's good game design. It wasn't like other Tales games where they just become HP sponges at least.

PKrockin

Jude isn't really the primary healer, just that he has some healing moves (which are good just limited in the range around him).

Elise and Leia are more like the main healers in this game, with Elise focusing on area heals and Leia on single target heals.

I mean like the cleric of the D&D party. The character whose specialty is healing and/or buffs. Raine, Estelle, etc. Does the series have a single male character like that?

Rpgmonkey

The bosses can't be worse than Graces F bosses on Chaos (first playthrough)...

I thought Graces at least had some occasionally fun fights on Chaos mixed in with all the lame ones.

I didn't really like any of the boss fights in my Xillia. They take stuff I didn't like about some of the Hearts and Graces bosses and applied it to all bosses.

Well I wouldn't say any of the bosses in Xillia are difficult, just kind of tedious. Mechanically they're all pretty similar, a successful strategy for the last boss will probably work with the next one. Could probably say that about most Tales games really.

I'd actually say it's the easiest Tales game they've made in a while despite the annoying aspects. For most of the game you're not restricted to whoever you brought into the battle and its cooking and equipment systems are very simple, so you don't really have to do much planning to create a winning setup for bosses.

Well I wouldn't say any of the bosses in Xillia are difficult, just kind of tedious. Mechanically they're all pretty similar, a successful strategy for the last boss will probably work with the next one.

I'd actually say it's the easiest Tales game they've made in a while despite the annoying aspects. But for most of the game you're not restricted to whoever you brought into the battle and its cooking and equipment systems are very simple, so you don't really have to do much planning to create a winning setup for bosses.

I don't even mean from a boss design standpoint. The battle system itself in Graces F led to the easiest boss battles in the series for me, and on top of that they removed all forms of resource management.

I breezed through the entire game on chaos pretty much entirely off of being good at using around step to dodge everything which just led to doing the same thing for every fight over and over, pure tedium. It is the only tales game in the entire series I just dropped during the post game / end game due to just being completely bored.

Uh, taking advantage of the battle system's subsystems and the way it works SHOULD make it easier, that's good game design. It wasn't like other Tales games where they just become HP sponges at least.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter to me if the systems were well designed. What matters is how fun they end up in practice and the CC and Around Step systems broke the combat without you needing to actually do anything to try to break it. Every battle was trivial regardless to how technically well done they were and that just isn't fun to me.

demidar

lol

Is a medical student.

Sucks at healing.

FSLink

Banned
At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter to me if the systems were well designed. What matters is how fun they end up in practice and the CC and Around Step systems broke the combat without you needing to actually do anything to try to break it. Every battle was trivial regardless to how technically well done they were and that just isn't fun to me.

I don't disagree, I actually find Xillia's normal battles more fun even if it's technically inferior. However, the bosses in Xillia are pretty damn terrible, and at least Graces f has weakness to go for it sometimes. Xillia bosses are all fought the same way. Plus I think a lot of people would agree that the f arc in Graces has some balance issues. :p

I mean like the cleric of the D&D party. The character whose specialty is healing and/or buffs. Raine, Estelle, etc. Does the series have a single male character like that?

You could say Hisui from Hearts was one of the main healers since he had access to all the area healing moves.

I guess depending on how you equip your summon spirits in Eternia, Keele could be your main healer as well.

Though Tales game have moved to the notion where characters can fight and heal now too instead of being primarily healers like Mint.

lol

Is a medical student.

Sucks at healing.

The best part of healing Jude has is that it's instant and affects an area around him. It just doesn't affect a large area but he was basically my go-to guy to remove status conditions. He just can't beat Elise in terms of healing though.

I had to do it on the final boss. Other than that, I kept it on Hard the entire time.

Preach brother. That's Control. That's Mastery.

Except Ku(n)rtz. Fuck him and his ninja snipers.

RPGCrazied

What are the trophies like in Xillia? Hopefully less grindy then Graces F. I still haven't plat'd that game, mostly cause of the 9999 mixer one.

I don't disagree, I actually find Xillia's normal battles more fun even if it's technically inferior. However, the bosses in Xillia are pretty damn terrible, and at least Graces f has weakness to go for it sometimes. Xillia bosses are all fought the same way. Plus I think a lot of people would agree that the f arc in Graces has some balance issues. :p

Yeah, I'm not really comparing Graces to Xillia since I haven't played it yet. If the bosses in it are as trivial as they were for me in Graces then I will have the same problems with Xillia.

Graces was still an enjoyable journey so to speak but I couldn't really take part in the hype around its battle system because it was all just way to easy for me to really appreciate the technical prowess. The most technically sound and complex battle system in the world is useless to me if there is no compelling challenges to use it to overcome.

What are the trophies like in Xillia? Hopefully less grindy then Graces F. I still haven't plat'd that game, mostly cause of the 9999 mixer one.

Do this so many times.
Do that so many times.
Get this many items.
See this many monsters.

Also the normal story related ones as well as maxing out all of your character's levels.

But getting the platinum is extremely doable assuming you don't miss out on any sidequests. It only takes two playthroughs since you need to do both Jude's and Millia's. It just gets boring on the second playthrough with grade shop since you are stomping everything in the same boring maps. ~_~

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Boring as hell. Can be grindy because they're so boring.

These aren't spoilers at all, but just in case people get all ticked at it:

Use this attack 150 times!
Eat food 800 times!
Get 800 items on the field!
Find 300 treasures!
Fight 75 rare monsters (ie: the ones that are either strong or the blocks)!
Kill enemies with their weakness 1350 times!
Level shops up to level 100!
Level up to level 99!
Gather 450 black feathers!
Fight 800 battles!
Use 450 Chain Link Artes!
Use Auto-Item 400 times!

They take very little skill. Even the get 100-hit combo one is easily exploitable and is of no challenge (because you can easily do it with Rowen and Milla; but I did it with Leia on my last plat run).

There's one missable trophy, and that's the
"do 90 sidequests" trophy, as some sidequests can be missable. But good news: the point of no return for some sidequests are usually towards the end of each chapter. It's doable on the first playthrough.

Edit: As dakkumauji mentioned, you'll have to play through the game twice, as you get trophies for completing the game as each character.

Rpgmonkey

A lot of the trophies in Xillia involve doing a particular thing over and over again or maxing out something.

It's pretty grindy, but not all of it really takes forever or anything.

RPGCrazied

Ok, thanks guys and gals. :) Sounds a bit more doable than graces. I don't mind those type trophies.

No beating the game in so much time? I hate timed trophies with a passion.

Top Bottom