• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Ok, thanks guys and gals. :) Sounds a bit more doable than graces. I don't mind those type trophies.

No beating the game in so much time? I hate timed trophies with a passion.

Nope, take all the time you want.

The only possible time limitation is how long you'll last before hating all the environments in the game.

FSLink

Banned

The only possible time limitation is how long you'll last before hating all the environments in the game.

On a more optimistic note, the music is nice for the environments. But you'll probably hate the fields at least by the time Xillia 2 comes around.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I keep trying to play Xillia 2 normally, but then I get into the rhythm I did with Xillia and exploring every nook and cranny.

Don't do that.

Just don't. You'll probably ruin the experience for yourself, and put the game down for months like I did.

RPGCrazied

How is the side quest tracker? Is there a nice journal in the game that tells you about them? Is it easy to find a quest, or just talk to every NPC you find?

demidar

On a more optimistic note, the music is nice for the environments. But you'll probably the fields at least by the time Xillia 2 comes around.

Good music makes things a lot more tolerable, not that I will be going for the Platinum. I got it for MGR and that hurt (but it's awesome music also made things more tolerable).

Xillia and SMT4 when I get it will occupy me for a while to come, hopefully until AA5 drops. Ugh, too many games.

Rpgmonkey

How is the side quest tracker? Is there a nice journal in the game that tells you about them? Is it easy to find a quest, or just talk to every NPC you find?

You get a log that will track most (all?) of the sidequests.

For a Tales game, many of the side quests are extremely easy to find. Most of them are clearly pointed out on the map and above an NPC's head.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, there's a menu that tells you which quests you have to do and how some quest strings are progressing.

Here. You're lucky I have my stream equipment hooked up.

So, this is how the quest menu looks like. You can see which quests are to be completed, which aren't completed yet, etc.

tA9GOY4.png

If you fail to complete a sidequest, you'll see Mission Failed here.

QTkVqQq.png

And if you're looking for sidequests, they're easy to look for! Look for the exclamation points above people's heads.

zu9ZrN2.png

Beaten like no tomorrow.

Since there's like no costumes in this game, what's this game like for attachments? In game of course, is there a lot or...?
You get some by completing sidequests. There are certainly quite a bit of them, but I'd rather have the costumes, tbh. Like so:

xM3VS3a.png

Some are DLC. I... don't think you'll get this costume in NA/EU, since it came with the Progress CD single.

fViG1uf.png

RPGCrazied

Since there's like no costumes in this game, what's this game like for attachments? In game of course, is there a lot or...?

There is, but most of them are DLC. Yay for Namco I guess.

Yeah, there's a menu that tells you which quests you have to do and how some quest strings are progressing.

So, this is how the quest menu looks like. You can see which quests are to be completed, which aren't completed yet, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/tA9GOY4.png[img][/indent]

[indent][img]http://i.imgur.com/QTkVqQq.png[img][/indent]

And if you're looking for sidequests, they're easy to look for! Look for the exclamation points above people's heads.

[indent][img]http://i.imgur.com/zu9ZrN2.png[img][/indent]

Beaten like no tomorrow.

You get some by completing sidequests. Like so:

[indent][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xM3VS3a.png/IMG][/indent]

Some are DLC. I... don't think you'll get this costume in NA/EU, since it came with the Progress CD single.

[indent][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/fViG1uf.png[MG][/indent][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but thanks for the visual presentation. :) Seems to be a lot of quests just by looking at your log.​

Rpgmonkey

There's about 58-ingame attachments, seven hairstyles (basically just a "hat" hairstyle for each character and one extra one for Milla), and four outfits (one for Jude and Alvin, two for Milla).

You can equip up to three attachments, a hair style, and an outfit. The attachments can be customized (color, size, position).

Most of the attachments are strange things (wings, ears, masks, tails, eyepatches, etc.), but there's a few more normal and practical things mixed in here and there. I usually just threw on glasses or earrings as I didn't like the other stuff.

demidar

There's about 58-ingame attachments, seven hairstyles (basically just a "hat" hairstyle for each character and one extra one for Milla), and four outfits (one for Jude and Alvin, two for Milla).

You can equip up to three attachments, a hair style, and an outfit. The attachments can be customized (color, size, position).

Most of the attachments are strange things (wings, ears, masks, tails, eyepatches, etc.), but there's a few more normal and practical things mixed in here and there. I usually just threw on glasses or earrings as I didn't like the other stuff.

I don't think anything can compare to the mustache/pipe attachment from Vesperia.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

tA9GOY4.png

QTkVqQq.png

zu9ZrN2.png

Beaten like no tomorrow.

You get some by completing sidequests. There are certainly quite a bit of them, but I'd rather have the costumes, tbh. Like so:

xM3VS3a.png

fViG1uf.png

Might wanna increase the gamma on those screenshots or something. They look almost like Xillia 2 parallel world screens lol. Almost. =D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I screencapped them while they were in XSplit in a hurry. I would've done a proper one in the capture card's software, but I'm too lazy.

Not to mention that I saved them in paint instead of GIMP.

solid mike

Beaten like no tomorrow.

So much hyped right now because of those screens.

Rhapsody

Banned

The cities (especially the starting city) looks so pretty with quite a bit of varying details. Then you leave town and everything looks like it came from an older Tales game lol
I keep trying to play Xillia 2 normally, but then I get into the rhythm I did with Xillia and exploring every nook and cranny.

Don't do that.

Just don't. You'll probably ruin the experience for yourself, and put the game down for months like I did.
I second this so hard. In the first game I kept trying to find every crawling space I could. Towards the end I just didn't care.

The cities (especially the starting city) looks so pretty with quite a bit of varying details. Then you leave town and everything looks like it came from an older Tales game lol

I second this so hard. In the first game I kept trying to find every crawling space I could. Towards the end I just didn't care.

Yeah, I agree. The cities (not the ports) all look great. Though the bonus dungeon did sour my liking of them.

Haha, I mean on my second playthrough I should have stopped caring for finding every damn thing in every damn area, but I just couldn't help it. ;_;

Flamfas

My biggest complaint with Xillia definitely is the environments. Towns are good, but field areas might as well be the exact same with different textures (I'm not convinced that's not what they are, half joking). Dungeons also lack puzzles big time, making them not very interesting.

But really most everything else is great, so that complaint isn't that big of a deal, in the end

kayos90

My biggest complaint with Xillia definitely is the environments. Towns are good, but field areas might as well be the exact same with different textures (I'm not convinced that's not what they are, half joking). Dungeons also lack puzzles big time, making them not very interesting.

But really most everything else is great, so that complaint isn't that big of a deal, in the end

I still think Rashugall is one of the best looking towns in the game. It looks so good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Don't use XSplit. Use OBS.
Sorry for being OT, but does OBS tend to be a resource hog? Because I do need to keep Firefox open for twitch chat. I mean, half the time, it is Twitch's fault, but working with the free version of XSplit is rather limiting.

I heard OBS tends to be rather lightweight and there are less frames dropped? When I streamed FF7 once, we got a ton of dropped frames in the first reactor around the steam area and I'd like to prevent that in the future. Someone I know who streamed Mega Man X4 also got a lot of dropped frames in a few stages where he shouldn't have. If OBS can rectify that, I'll switch from XSplit to OBS for one stream.

kayos90

Sorry for being OT, but does OBS tend to be a resource hog? Because I do need to keep Firefox open for twitch chat. I mean, half the time, it is Twitch's fault, but working with the free version of XSplit is rather limiting.

I heard OBS tends to be rather lightweight and there are less frames dropped? When I streamed FF7 once, we got a ton of dropped frames in the first reactor around the steam area and I'd like to prevent that in the future. Someone I know who streamed Mega Man X4 also got a lot of dropped frames in a few stages where he shouldn't have.

If I recall correctly I used OBS to stream the Tales Festival and it was really really light on the resource hogging. It's definitely better than XSplit as I run into problems optimizing XSplit while OBS is pretty easy to customize and optimize. Secondly, OBS is open source meaning there is a lot more fiddling you can do if you want. Or you can copy other people's code. lol.

Overall OBS is the new XSplit, or at least what it used to be. It's free. It's well designed and does the job basically better.

FSLink

Banned
OBS is that much better eh? I'll give that a shot later on. I finally optimized XSplit for streaming Marvel, but it still was a pain in the ass.
I plan on streaming Symphonia HD for all of ya, spent a lot on shipping so I should get it right away. :v

I'm still sad that we probably won't get the Madoka DLC outfits later on. Mami costume for Leia is too awesome.

Stahn will probably be Liam O'brien, Rutee will be whoever they had for her in RM, and Mint and Cless will probably keep their OVA voices.

Thorgal

Stahn will probably be Liam O'brien, Rutee will be whoever they had for her in RM, and Mint and Cless will probably keep their OVA voices.

Ill give the same response from the other thread :

God, i hope not. ( response to suggestion that Cless being voiced by JYB )

and as much as i like Liam , i don't think he should come back to voice Stahn.

His voice misses that for lack of a better word¨ hotblooded fire ¨ that Stahhn has .

I wish the guy who voiced domon in the english version came back.

He would be great WITH THE HELP OF KYOJIIIIIII !!

Why did he have to go and become a doctor :(

PS. i am aware that the Japanese voice of Stahn also voiced Domon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmm, I can get Narikiri Dungeon X for only 20 bucks. Very tempting, although Xillia is out in 2 weeks.
Go for it. I thought it was very good. I'd like to see more Tales games with class systems, but here we are. I just like class systems for the diversity of talent they can offer to the playable characters, even if there aren't a lot of them in the party to begin with. And NDX offers quite a bit of it.

Bladenic

Go for it. I thought it was very good. I'd like to see more Tales games with class systems, but here we are. I just like class systems for the diversity of talent they can offer to the playable characters, even if there aren't a lot of them in the party to begin with. And NDX offers quite a bit of it.

Yeah the class system is what I'm most eager to mess around with. Wish they'd try a mainline Tales with it.

And I've never played Phantasia either, and this seems like the best version of it since it gets rid of spell pausing (which was super annoying in SO1 and 2 and the reason why I didn't use mages other than 1 healer). So I'm paying 10 bucks per game, can't beat that :D

FSLink

Banned
Yeah the class system is what I'm most eager to mess around with. Wish they'd try a mainline Tales with it.

And I've never played Phantasia either, and this seems like the best version of it since it gets rid of spell pausing (which was super annoying in SO1 and 2 and the reason why I didn't use mages other than 1 healer). So I'm paying 10 bucks per game, can't beat that :D

Yup, definitely go for it. I even like NDX better than some mothership titles. And Phantasia's pretty decent and the no spell pause helps with how old it is.

Sheroking

So if I hated Graces F and loved Vesperia, am I going to like Xillia?

I can take RPG tropes and cliches, I can take cheesy VO - I just can't take completely idiotic characters.

demidar

So if I hated Graces F and loved Vesperia, and I going to like Xillia?

I can take RPG tropes and cliches, I can take cheesy VO - I just can't take completely idiotic characters.

I haven't played it, but Xillia looks more Vesperia than Graces f if that helps.

Someone else will have to tell you if the characters go stupid though.

Stuart444

You'll like Xillia probably then. Much better than Graces f with the characters and story. (and probably the VA based on what we've seen but we'll see when the game is out)

Fisico

I liked both Graces and Vesperia but Xillia was kinda meh
But in term of characters and overall atmosphere I guess Xillia is closer to Vesperia than Graces F.

More new cut-ins. Now that I think about it, they've only shown us Zelos' until now right? I'd figure they would have shown Lloyd and Genis along with their new costume reveals instead of just Zelos.

l_51ef423fea32a.jpg

l_51ef423f8e28f.jpg

Top Bottom