• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Your Tales of Xillia: Milla Maxwell Collector's Edition is now available and ready to be shipped!

However, there was a problem when charging the amount of the order with the payment information you have provided during the pre-order phase.

Please find a link below to proceed with payment of your order. We will hold your Tales of Xillia: Milla Maxwell Collector's Edition for the next five (5) days. After this period, your pre-order will automatically be cancelled.

Okay I got this first on july 18th, didn't see it as it landed in the spam box, the 2nd time on july 23rd and 3rd time on July 25nd. Its been 2 days, I updated my CC details, do I get a confirmation mail that payment was okay and was my CC supposed to be charged already? It'd be shitty if I don't get a confirmation nor cancellation mail.

Fisico

Annnnnd the interview with Makoto Yoshizumi, don't worry Flamfas there's a question about Go Shiina :p

Not any big scoop of course, but some tidbit of info here and there, we didn't have as much time to talk as previously expected and kinda forgot to ask about what they were thinking about CC2's recent works.

Flamfas

You even asked about Go Shiina, you're da best!!

Sad to hear what they said about a Legendia remake, but not surprised at all

And I'm not sure whether I'm surprised or not that he has not heard of fan translation for Tales

FSLink

Banned
thanks kayos

woah, that's pretty cool how they split them together. I remember the first time i heard the OP (off someone recording it playing at some plaza in Japan) ... lord, the chills. It's a wonderful song.

Yeah the split screen is pretty neat, makes me wish it was an unlockable or something after beating the game.

Flamfas

Odd, it's still working for me

KoT: We can note that as we speak, every single mothership title has been ported, remade, or has a sequel. The only exception is Tales of Legendia. Do you have any plans to port or remake the game?

MY: You already know this, but Tales of Legendia is a bit of a special case in the series. It was made by a team named "Team Melfes", and this team exists no more today, and its members were spread here and there, so it would be difficult to gather this team to do something new with Tales of Legendia, so nothing is planned with this game for now.

KoT: We're talking about Tales of Legendia, so let's talk about Go Shiina too! How is he?

MY: Ah, don't worry, he's still alive.

*laughs*

MY: He's still working on several projects for Bandai Namco, like God Eater 2.

Sagitario

Odd, it's still working for me

I get this message every time I try to access it:
The connection has timed out
The server at kingdom-of-tales.net is taking too long to respond.

Thanks for posting it, by the way :)

I highly doubt Team Melfes or the original group not being around anymore is the real excuse (that didn't stop ToIR and ToHR, seeing as they share so little with their respective original versions, battle [and other] systems wise).
Market/fanbase doesn't want one, so not enough money/revenue to justify such project is much more believable. Actually, I would bet that's the reason.
Legendia could use a remake. If Tempest gets one, I will be so freaking disappointed.

Fisico

I get this message every time I try to access it:

Thanks for posting it, by the way :)

I highly doubt Team Melfes or the original group not being around anymore is the real excuse (that didn't stop ToIR and ToHR, seeing as they share so little with their respective original versions, battle [and other] systems wise).
Market/fanbase doesn't want one, so not enough money/revenue to justify such project is much more believable. Actually, I would bet that's the reason.
Legendia could use a remake. If Tempest gets one, I will be so freaking disappointed.

Maybe they lost the source code for Legendia just like Square Enix did with Kingdom Hearts ... ->?

I dunno but his answer could be justified, it's really a pain in the ass to go work on a project which wasn't yours with a source code badly written and no commentaries at all (every programmer here should get what I mean), maybe Alfa System did a great job when coding Innocence, as for Hearts it was a fairly recent title so I don't imagine a remake being hard to handle, most likely some guys from the Tales Studio were helping 7th Chord in the process

Sagitario

How is SE porting KH to PS3 if they lost the code? D:

I dunno but his answer could be justified, it's really a pain in the ass to go work on a project which wasn't yours with a source code badly written and no commentaries at all (every programmer here should get what I mean), maybe Alfa System did a great job when coding Innocence, as for Hearts it was a fairly recent title so I don't imagine a remake being hard to handle, most likely some guys from the Tales Studio were helping 7th Chord in the process

Of course it is, it figures (Ready at Dawn's Okami is a perfect example too).
But knowing Namco (and Tales Studio) history, losing code is hard to imagine in this case (porting/remaking so many games).
Team Melfes was basically the Soulcalibur Team, and if SCI got the HD treatment and SCII is getting it, I sincerely doubt lost code would be a valid reason for Legendia. Namco isn't Sega or Square-Enix or Capcom (and I am sure the potential remake would be as outsourced as the original was anyway).

Bladenic

That's a dumb excuse, lots of Tales games were remade by different people. Just do a proper Legendia remake by Tales Studio ;_;

Flamfas

This is a possibility, although I'd hope that if Legendia was revisited, they would do a ground-up remake rather than a port ... I like the story, the music, the characters, the world, etc, but the dungeon design and battle system are pretty bad.

Though I had never sat down before now to realize that it really is the only mothership that hasn't been revisited in some form.

Wow.

EDIT:

COME AT ME BRO

Fisico

I'm not familiar with the process, but what, Bamco went to 7th Chord and said "Ok your Innocence remake was awesome, go on with Hearts ++" and that's all there is to it ?
They must have gave them the source code/assets/scripts/whatever (of the original Hearts) with additionnal comments to tell them what to do in some way.

Helping may not be the right word as they didn't make the assets of Hearts R neither the code, but you get the idea.

Feel free to explain if I'm totally wrong though.

Dantis

Oh hello there Tales Community Thread.

I recently started playing Graces (I'm around seven hours in I think), and honestly, I'm finding it to be pretty decent. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more than Abyss, at least.

Here's the thing though: As far as combat goes, I'm just kind of button mashing my way through it, which I'm assuming is bad and probably won't work later in the game. What else should I be doing?

Here's the thing though: As far as combat goes, I'm just kind of button mashing my way through it, which I'm assuming is bad and probably won't work later in the game. What else should I be doing?

Two things to focus on:
- Learn which direction you need to evade to for each attack. Evading attacks gives you huge advantage.
- Check the enemy's stats for its weaknesses and attack accordingly. Try to attack every weakness in one combo for the bonus CP.

FSLink

Banned
Two things to focus on:
- Learn which direction you need to evade to for each attack. Evading attacks gives you huge advantage.
- Check the enemy's stats for its weaknesses and attack accordingly. Try to attack every weakness in one combo for the bonus CP.

And once you master that, increase the difficulty to get better CP bonuses. :D Or try out different characters, this game it's actually pretty fun using the healers. Cheria has some really fun A artes.

EDIT: Found these on Tumblr:

http://brilliant-cataclysm.com/toggroovychat.html

Someone ripped the cute chat images that show up in Graces. They also have skits/mystic arte images for characters for other games (spoilers beware of course, Xillia 1 and 2 show up):
http://brilliantcataclysmrips.tumblr.com/page/1

And now avatar change~

Datschge

I'm not familiar with the process, but what, Bamco went to 7th Chord and said "Ok your Innocence remake was awesome, go on with Hearts ++" and that's all there is to it ?
They must have gave them the source code/assets/scripts/whatever (of the original Hearts) with additionnal comments to tell them what to do in some way.

Helping may not be the right word as they didn't make the assets of Hearts R neither the code, but you get the idea.

The similarities and differences in Keroro RPG (battle mechanics close to Hearts DS), Innocence R (scenario pretty much verbatim to Innocence DS) and Hearts R (scenario verbatim to Hearts DS except some very odd omissions and changes) makes me think they got the game design documents (in case of Keroro RPG) respectively the scenario documents and environment assets (in case of Innocence R and Hearts R, the latter being incomplete). The only instance of someone of former Tales Studio actually being involved I'm aware of (aside the sound staff) was Hidenori Yamauchi for Keroro RPG, though he wasn't even involved in the game it was heavily based of (Hearts DS).

Dantis

Two things to focus on:

This sounds like a lot of effort! :S

PKrockin

Two things to focus on:

Right. When you evade at the last moment you gain CC and other bonuses depending on your skills. Generally dodge to the side for vertical or thrusting attacks, backward for horizontal attacks, and forward for projectiles like arrows and bullets. I'm pretty sure the attack can still touch you, as long as you've inputted a dodge in the correct direction before contact you'll be unharmed.

Dantis

Right. When you evade at the last moment you gain CC and other bonuses depending on your skills. Generally dodge to the side for vertical or thrusting attacks, backward for horizontal attacks, and forward for projectiles like arrows and bullets. I'm pretty sure the attack can still touch you, as long as you've inputted a dodge in the correct direction before contact you'll be unharmed.

This is actually great advice right here, cheers.

Not to say that WeaponKnight's advice wasn't, mind. But this is something I can directly try.

Sorry for being vague.

The attacks can touch you, but the character will blur and cause a slowdown if you time it right. Also, most magic should be dodged to the side iirc.

I started playing Tales games starting with Phantasia (still have my complete import) and love quite a few games in the series (Phantasia, Destiny, Rebirth, Vesperia), but have not liked a lot of the recent ones like Symphonia, Abyss, Graces, and any of the portable ones. For long time fans of the series that have played an import of Xillia, where would you rank it in the series?

This sounds like a lot of effort! :S

Haha! Yes, but it's great fun. One thing I like to point out is that its like in a Fighting game; you can avoid and pound on enemies in retaliation for certain things with good timing.

Also utilize the magNIFicent character building system. Anything that boosts CC, replinishes CC, or rewards CC is very vital to opening up the combo system and locking down enemies in fatal combos.

I decided to sell a couple games to hopefully make money for Xillia CE, but I realized something earlier today...

My copy of Tales of Destiny II (Eternia) can be sold for about $150 on eBay. Tales of Destiny I has a similar high price. I swear it wasn't like that a year ago, though. Am I crazy? Maybe Tales achieved new popularity and new Tales fans rose the demand of the game?

But it's nice to know I have another game that's rare.

Rhapsody

Banned
I decided to sell a couple games to hopefully make money for Xillia CE, but I realized something earlier today...

My copy of Tales of Destiny II (Eternia) can be sold for about $150 on eBay. Tales of Destiny I has a similar high price. I swear it wasn't like that a year ago, though. Am I crazy? Maybe Tales achieved new popularity and new Tales fans rose the demand of the game?

But it's nice to know I have another game that's rare.

I'm pretty sure it's been that high before. Maybe it's only that high when a new Tales game is around the corner, and then it dips down a bit.

Top Bottom