• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Despite it already being subbed, Funimation has licensed the Abyss anime.

WHY NOT THE SYMPHONIA OVA GRRRRR

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ss-tales-of-the-abyss-witch-hunter-robin-more

Wouldn't mind it if they dub it but at least it would probably be a cheaper release than when Bandai originally released it.

Maybe they'll try to time it with Symphonia HD's release. It would make the most sense. Or release it years later like how all the other Tales anime releases have been.

Yazuka

If Funi dubs it... Will it be too much to hope for that they try and bring in the original cast from the games? If they do, I will buy this in a heartbeat.

Speaking of animated Tales stuff I finally got around to seeing Tales of Vesperia: The First Strike the other day and it was a bit better than I was expecting it to be but I didn't really have any high hopes for it anyway, it serves as a nice bit of extra backstory at least.

As for Vesperia itself I helped a friend through the Blade Drifts of Zopheir which turned into a hilarious disaster, the man hadn't even changed Yuri's artes from the default four you earn first nor had he mapped any others to the right stick, he had no idea there was a skills screen, didn't appear to use overlimits and he also never ever blocks, so this led to some GREAT fun with the area boss. Here we had three player co-op, one of which was playing this game for the first time, a man who has barely grasped how to play the game after 30-40 hours and I barely have a handle on the other characters myself meaning I was in control of a very shaky Judith.
I don't think i've ever been involved in such a titanic struggle, this was the opposite of a well oiled unit, it was a shameful display that came down to the wire, never again!

Going from Graces back to Vesperia made it feel even stiffer than usual so to speak, I think Graces is a game that would play a hell of a lot better with multiple players due to how it handles TP, less constant trips to the menu for one thing.

Seda

I think Graces is a game that would play a hell of a lot better with multiple players due to how it handles TP, less constant trips to the menu for one thing.

Also avoids the AI of that game. I don't know why, but I seemed to have many more issues with AI party-members in Graces than I did in most other Tales games.

I need to do Grace lol (brought it day one), but the combat system threw me off from Vesperia/Abyss which Xillia seems more in line with. Once Xillia is done however I will go back to Grace just hope the character are not as terrible as I've heard as it goes on.

Also avoids the AI of that game. I don't know why, but I seemed to have many more issues with AI party-members in Graces than I did in most other Tales games.
I don't recall having too many issues with them outside of say a boss going into an overlimit and knowing that they were very likely to happily meet their deaths running into the incoming mystic arte, at least I don't remember having the extra tactics functionality on hand in that game to have a run the hell away command for such events.

Though maybe I just don't expect much from my Tales allies, as long as they don't always end up using the wrong type of magic for the situation i'm fine, speaking of which Rita must really hate me or something.

I can't think of many times I had issue with the AI of Graces or any Tales game really. The only real problems I can think of over the course of the games I've played

- Mint and Estelle waste far too much TP in random battles casting crap like sharpness when the battle is almost over leaving them with none for bosses. Estelle also gets an award for telling her AI to focus on healing and have her never heal -.- at least she's better on "do what you want"

- Any game where the AI can use items they will use them always and often including scenarios where they throw out an apple gel as the heal spell is being cast or spam only artes then spam orange gels to keep spamming artes.

- Tales of Destiny PSX, oh my god the AI in this game is awful. The melee characters will just stand there and wait for enemies to come to them and swordian users will all act like mages regardless of what settings you use. The only character who isn't completely brain dead is Chelsea simply because she's an archer and will always be attacking and using artes. <3 Chelsea for that reason alone

Btw is it my Eternia UMD problems (PSP) or is it a known problem that voiced dialogue plays at the wrong moment in the latter half of the game?

I remember playing the game for a while and than the wrong voiced dialogue played, killed off my motivation to playthrough the rest of the game =/

aravuus

GODDAMN shit just got real

but what the FUCK is wrong with Ivar, goddamn it

Nevertheless, this was probably the single coolest scene in the Tales of series

PKrockin

Surprisingly I'm having no issues with the AI so far. In Graces everyone would just block slow, guard breaking attacks instead of moving away. In Xillia, when linked up they just mirror whatever I'm doing and when not linked up they seem to be doing a decent job of surviving. Something as simple as having low HP characters group together for AOE heals is so helpful.

FSLink

Banned
Surprisingly I'm having no issues with the AI so far. In Graces everyone would just block slow, guard breaking attacks instead of moving away. In Xillia, when linked up they just mirror whatever I'm doing and when not linked up they seem to be doing a decent job of surviving. Something as simple as having low HP characters group together for AOE heals is so helpful.

Only problem with the AI is that if you try to play multiplayer they take over. How they didn't fix this in Xillia 2 is so baffling since you can tap a partner's D-Pad direction to change their in-battle strategy in that game. How hard would it have been to have a "Manual" option there too? Otherwise Xillia's is pretty good. I was fine with Destiny Remake's, Graces', and Rebirth's AI too. Abyss and Vesperia I had to tweak a lot to get what I wanted.

Anybody know what's up with the official Tales forums?

Arthea

So, how bad (or good) Tales of the Tempest really are? Story? Gameplay? Characters?
It looks not so good, that I already know, but it's DS game, so gets some slack.

Flamfas

The Tales of Destiny K teaser site is killing me. I know it's just a slots game, but it just makes me want to play the Director's Cut againnnnnn. Still wildly hoping for that 3DS port so it has another shot to come here.

Bandai went out of business a few years back. This is just Funimation getting the distribution rights to some of Bandai's old properties. It's about damn time too. Hopefully we can get Code Geass Blu-Rays here in America.

oh

meh. I was kind of hoping they would dub it, but I guess this is probably just for re-distribution purposes.

Arthea said:
So, how bad (or good) Tales of the Tempest really are? Story? Gameplay? Characters?
It looks not so good, that I already know, but it's DS game, so gets some slack.

I'll pass on evaluating the story and characters since I didn't use the English patch, but the gameplay is absolute shit. The LMBS is boring and broken (incredibly easy for you or your enemies to get trapped), and the World Map is way too big and devoid of anything interesting.

Labadal

Btw is it my Eternia UMD problems (PSP) or is it a known problem that voiced dialogue plays at the wrong moment in the latter half of the game?

I remember playing the game for a while and than the wrong voiced dialogue played, killed off my motivation to playthrough the rest of the game =/

It's a known problem.

Just sold my copy for $30. Getting rid of my physical PSP games.

wow didn't know there was a tempest translation out and those guys finally released that phantasia patch.

crazy.

hope we get destiny r in the next decade!

wow didn't know there was a tempest translation out and those guys finally released that phantasia patch.

crazy.

hope we get destiny r in the next decade!

With the two of them working together it shouldn't take anywhere near as long. The issues that hurt PP's Phantasia psx translation shouldn't impact their colab work with azt.

aravuus

I wonder when we'll get that Tales of Hearts translation, I remember reading some pretty great stuff about the game.

It feels like only half of the best Tales games were translated or something. Maybe I'll try to learn some Japanese next summer if we don't have the translations by then lol

But yeah, I don't think I can wait for the Destiny R translation. Think I'll play the original after I finish Xillia.

I wonder when we'll get that Tales of Hearts translation, I remember reading some pretty great stuff about the game.

It feels like only half of the best Tales games were translated or something. Maybe I'll try to learn some Japanese next summer if we don't have the translations by then lol

But yeah, I don't think I can wait for the Destiny R translation. Think I'll play the original after I finish Xillia.

By original do you mean psx or destiny r? Psx version isn't very good

aravuus

By original do you mean psx or destiny r? Psx version isn't very good

PSX. What's wrong with it?

If it has something to do with gameplay or how it looks or whatever, I don't mind. If it's the story (or the translation) that's bad and is possibly fixed in the remake, I guess I kind of maybe could probably wait..

Rhapsody

Banned

If it has something to do with gameplay or how it looks or whatever, I don't mind. If it's the story (or the translation) that's bad and is possibly fixed in the remake, I guess I kind of maybe could probably wait..

It's mostly just gameplay problem (easiest Tales, boring dungeons, spell freezes, etc). Translation isn't awful but I hear some lines aren't exactly accurate. If you don't mind the gameplay, you can still enjoy Destiny.

FSLink

Banned
Yup. Encounter rate is absurdly high for Destiny, so it makes dungeons a pain. The battles are so easy, but you run into a battle every few seconds.

aravuus

It's mostly just gameplay problem (easiest Tales, boring dungeons, spell freezes, etc). Translation isn't awful but I hear some lines aren't exactly accurate. If you don't mind the gameplay, you can still enjoy Destiny.

Thanks, might as well then. High encounter rate does sound like a massive pain but if it's easy, it'll probably somewhat even it out. Maybe there's a no-encounter gameshark code somewhere if things get really painful.

Though now that I think of it, I should probably play something a bit different in-between, like Devil Survivor or something. As fantastic as Tales games are, too much in too little time can burn you out.

Rhapsody

Banned
Yeah. Because of the battles and dungeons, it's best not to go through PS1 Destiny if you just came off another Tales game. If anything, it wouldn't be a bad idea to multi-task while playing some of Destiny also. Battles are so easy that I don't think I ever got a game over screen once.
The Tales of Destiny K teaser site is killing me. I know it's just a slots game, but it just makes me want to play the Director's Cut againnnnnn. Still wildly hoping for that 3DS port so it has another shot to come here.
The art actually seems pretty good there. Don't know why, but I always like the status art (and anime cutscenes) for Destiny.
It just seemed much better than all the other Tales (not counting ToX cutscenes).

And if Destiny ever gets a handheld port, Namco should put multiplayer back in. I miss those.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The first s needs to be taken out entirely. Like... it's terrible. Go with something like Tales of Zetorias or Zetria or something stupid. Just... take out the s lol.

Destiny has one of my favorite translations in the series. There are a lot of quirky NPCs and goofy dialogue.
The battles are annoying and frequent and the AI is idiotic. Stahn only slashes once per attack so battles move pretty slowly most of the time, even with artes.

As I said above the ai is just flat out broken. The stupidly high encounter rate and boring dungeons don't help things either. The gameplay also feels really stiff even when compared to tales of Phantasia psx. Also the game limits your party size so you can only take 2 of the 4 non swordian users into the final third of the game.

The most hilarious thing about the game is Garr, his psx version may be the worst party member in the history of Tales. He wields a sword and a bow... Or in gameplay a sword or a bow. If he is equip with his swordian he can only cast magic and can't use his artes as they are all bow related. He's also the worst Mage in the game and he's inferior to Chelsea as an archer. I honestly don't get what they were thinking when they designed him. At least he can equip both in the remake.

Rhapsody

Banned
I still didn't like him in the remake :( (even though I do like the character). IIRC, most of his abilities to regain CC were from defeating enemies, so he wasn't super helpful on bosses. If I used him, I basically gave a non Swordian member his doll so he doesn't have access to his level 3 BC.

Celcius

°Temp. member
When did Tales games stop having world maps that you could run/fly around on?
I know Symphonia & Vesperia had it, but Graces & Xillia don't. It made the adventure seem much more grand.

Rhapsody

Banned
I know Symphonia & Vesperia had it, but Graces & Xillia don't. That's one thing I miss...

I feel like Vesperia's going to be the last "classic" Tales. Honestly it reminds me of the FFIX of the series in a way.
Even learning skill/abilities from equipment reminds me of it. Game also feels slower than some Tales.

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure Vesperia was the last. Hearts, Graces, and Xillia threw away the world map.

Flamfas

Not going to make a new thread for this because the names sound like mobile games, honestly, but

MORE trademarks. Tales of Link, Tales of Jin, and Tales of Ansis

requesting thread title change to "we can't hold all these trademarks"

Edit: Abby noticed that the katakana for "Tales" is incorrect in these trademarks ... What's going on there?

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure Vesperia was the last.

Try Hearts R. q:

aravuus

They resemble each other in my opinion. The hair, the headband, etc. Honestly, Natalia was the first thing that came to mind when I saw Leia.

I personally instantly thought of Estelle. I have no idea who Natalia is though.

I know Symphonia & Vesperia had it, but Graces & Xillia don't. It made the adventure seem much more grand.

Yeah. Graces' fields weren't bad but the overworld is definitely the better option. Xillia's fields were way too barren and boring.

e: Decided to start playing PSX ToD and if nothing else, the music is fantastic

The music after the monsters appear on the ship in the very beginning is soo goo. I'd link it if I'd find it.

e2: oh, the skits were completely cut from the localized version... bah. shame. really liked the writing. it sounds like too much, guess i'll wait for destiny r fan patch then

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Edit: Abby noticed that the katakana for "Tales" is incorrect in these trademarks ... What's going on there?

Probably an oversight.

And aren't those trademarks from Sili old? Additionally, they don't seem like they're for mothership titles. More for spin-offs probably.

aravuus

I'm so jealous of all you Japanese speaking/reading people

So many games I'll never get to experience because they didn't get localized.

Flamfas

Yeah, Innocence R and Hearts R both had world maps. Which means we'll get at least one more game with it prolly (Tempest R)

Probably an oversight.

And aren't those trademarks from Sili old? Additionally, they don't seem like they're for mothership titles. More for spin-offs probably.

They were filed in June, after Catastora but before Zestias. But I agree they sound mobile-ish (which is why I didn't bother with a thread lol)

(I almost don't recognize you without your moe-blob avatar)

Top Bottom