• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Flamfas

Bladenic said:
Still haven't played Destiny R, but Rebirth is one of my favorites. Sooooo fun. Love the battle system and the dual hi ougis. And Veigue is awesome.

Yeah, the LMBS is killer. IMO there has yet to be another LMBS to top it.

Yeah if there was new voice acting I was expecting the new actors from Dawn not the originals.

But then the VAs wouldn't match within the same game. That would be weird.

Glad to see they seem to have gotten the VAs back together though

Rhapsody

Banned
With the director's cut, is the story completely different if you play as Leon?
People already answered but yeah, it's completely different. Only play it after you've beaten the regular story though.
This actually makes me happy. I'm still not expecting something big like voiced skits quite yet, but who knows.
But then the VAs wouldn't match within the same game. That would be weird.

Glad to see they seem to have gotten the VAs back together though
Well, it could've been like in Kingdom Heart's case though with Namine. Have the new voice actor re-record over all the lines for that character.
Actually never mind. That's a bad example since everything character was re-recorded for 365/2 Days in 1.5 I think lol.

I guess more like Chie and Teddie in Persona 4 Golden.

Thorgal

Apparently new things may have been recorded for ROACh.

zKw9jv9.png

Wait a minute.how did they get Crispin Freeman back for Richter?

Didn't CF go union years ago ?

Flamfas

It's possible ToSC could be a union job. Them formally revealing Minae and Riegal as Milla and Jude before the game even hit suggests ToX may have been union as well.

Well, it could've been like in Kingdom Heart's case though with Namine. Have the new voice actor re-record over all the lines for that character.i
Actually never mind. That's a bad example since everything character was re-recorded for 365/2 Days in 1.5 I think lol.

I guess more like Chie and Teddie in Persona 4 Golden.

True, though I thought Namco said they were NOT revoicing anything?

Seda

So it sounds like they may have gotten voice actors back to record lines? The question is if it's just for the differences between GCN/PS2 Tales of Symphonia or if they think it's worth re-recording ToS2.

Wait a minute.how did they get Crispin Freeman back for Richter?

Didn't CF go union years ago ?

Regal you mean. Richter was Kyle Hebert and of course, doesn't need a revoice.

Thorgal

So it sounds like they may have gotten voice actors back to record lines? The question is if it's just for the differences between GCN/PS2 Tales of Symphonia or if they think it's worth re-recording ToS2.

Regal you mean. Richter was Kyle Hebert and of course, doesn't need a revoice.
Yeah sorry .meant Regal

Flamfas

Revoicing ToS2 would be ideal but I have no illusion that would happen. I very much doubt it. Probably just the new ToS content (I'd love to be wrong)

Rhapsody

Banned
True, though I thought Namco said they were NOT revoicing anything?

I actually forgot about that. Lot of conflicting stuff or they were just trying to hide a secret.

If it's true, I'm actually surprised. I would think they'd be able to get by on not bringing back VAs. The amount of new stuff isn't anything like PS3 Vesperia.

demidar

I would hope that they would voice the skits if they voiced the new content

This would actually make me consider buying the collection, since I haven't actually played ToS2 as well. Consider, not will buy.

But this is Scamco we're talking about so I ain't getting my hopes up.

I still own my Gc symphonia and wii symphonia 2, but I'll pick up the HD collection. Gotta support English tales and it's been awhile since I've played either game.

Rhapsody

Banned
I would hope that they would voice the skits if they voiced the new content

This is probably the biggest thing holding me back from playing it with English voices multiple times.

Speaking of skits, I really wish they touch up this game a bit outside of graphics. I might be spoiled by the latest Tales games but being able to pause during skits or pressing buttons to advance the dialogue faster was really nice. Same goes for skipping cutscenes.

Holmes

Hmmm. How much new voicework is there for the PS2 version? I was thinking of playing through with Japanese audio, but if there's a lot of new voicework, I might reconsider. Maybe.

FSLink

Banned
Hmmm. How much new voicework is there for the PS2 version? I was thinking of playing through with Japanese audio, but if there's a lot of new voicework, I might reconsider. Maybe.

I think it's mostly just small things in the new animated cutscenes, and new moves. I don't believe any new sidequests were voiced from what I remember.

And of course, the question if they're going back and voicing all the skits or not.

Seda

So they just grabbed the VAs to voice additional attacks and such. That's what I expected but still a bit disappointing.

Rhapsody

Banned
That's disappointing to hear. I can give them the benefit of the doubt if they chose not to voice the skits because they were only able to get back some of the VAs to do some lines, but I don't know if that's the case.

Cool that they're re-voicing the extras for Symphonia. But too bad the skits don't seem like they'll be voiced. Because of that, I'll have to play with that Japanese voices. (It is dual audio, right?) But I appreciate the extra work nonetheless.

---

For some reason, I've been thinking about Tales of Phantasia. It's so weird how Tales games nowadays feel modern, yet Tales of Phantasia on the Super Nintendo was largely the same as now. It had features like an intro song, lots of battle voices, the plethora of items and enemies, and music, and a full-blown sound test with an equalizer and DSP settings. (I really miss that in Tales games.) Tales of Phantasia was really ahead of its time, and it didn't even use a fancy SNES expansion chip. I'm surprised that a team like Wolfteam (who didn't seem to make anything too great beforehand) could create something so grand.

Or maybe I'm gushing a bit. I don't like RPG games, so Phantasia is one of the only RPGs I played on SNES.

Did they make mystics easier to cast? I remember that in the Gc version only like 3 characters had them and you had to cast a specific arte while holding down specific buttons at a specific time -.-

FSLink

Banned
Did they make mystics easier to cast? I remember that in the Gc version only like 3 characters had them and you had to cast a specific arte while holding down specific buttons at a specific time -.-

Not really, though they made it easier to tell when your character is going to reach Overlimit. They may have increased the frequency but I can't remember if that's the case or if it was just my imagination .

*sigh* wtf. Japanese voices it is then. Though watch them mess up the coding for switching languages and it's silent on both or something. >_>

*sigh* wtf. Japanese voices it is then. Though watch them mess up the coding for switching languages and it's silent on both or something. >_>

It's going to be like Fire Emblem Awakening and anytime you turn off the game or go back to the XMB, it'll revert back to English voices!

demidar

Plot Twist: The entire game's world was merely a book in a library.

You pretty much just described FF: Tactics A2.

Bibliotecha, if I were a terrible person, would be a game that replays and mixes important events from all previous games, which means the game would be 90% reused assets.

Top Bottom