• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Innocence R and Hearts R both had world maps. Which means we'll get at least one more game with it prolly (Tempest R)
To be fair, though, those games weren't by the Tales Studio, so I wouldn't use them as an indicator of what we'll see in Tales games in the future.

I'm so jealous of all you Japanese speaking/reading people

So many games I'll never get to experience because they didn't get localized.

You don't need that much Japanese knowledge to play the games. You can easily get through most of it with trial and error.

aravuus

But you play RPGs for the story =P, what good is not knowing what is going on and whose betraying who XD?

Not sure if that's a sarcastic XD or not cause I don't think I've seen anyone use it seriously in years buuut

Yeah. I care about the story and characters. Tales of Graces F is the only JRPG I've finished purely thanks to the great gameplay. There are countless JRPGs I played purely for the story, even if I hated the gameplay.

Tales games are pretty much 50/50 usually, I enjoy both aspects. So I would enjoy playing a, say, imported Destiny R, but not nearly as much as I would if I understood what was going on.

Not sure if that's a sarcastic XD or not cause I don't think I've seen anyone use it seriously in years buuut

Yeah. I care about the story and characters. Tales of Graces F is the only JRPG I've finished purely thanks to the great gameplay. There are countless JRPGs I played purely for the story, even if I hated the gameplay.

Tales games are pretty much 50/50 usually, I enjoy both aspects. So I would enjoy playing a, say, imported Destiny R, but not nearly as much as I would if I understood what was going on.
I'm serious but partially making fun of the fact that Tales as a more "popular" RPG series tend to have predictable plots. Well at least the stories are exponentially more engaging than some RPGs as of late.
I assume you can tell who's betraying who when they got a sword pointing at you now and left the party. :p
And then insert your own interpretation for betrayal XD (money, fame, blackmail) lol

aravuus

I'm serious but partially making fun of the fact that Tales as a more "popular" RPG series tend to have predictable plots. Well at least the stories are exponentially more engaging than some RPGs as of late.

Haha yeah, but they are so full of emotion that it alone makes them immensely enjoyable. And while the twists usually aren't anything new per se (Abyss' main twist did surprise me), the way they handle them make them still pretty whammy and awesome. And they tend to stick the games so full of them, at least a few are bound to surprise lol

Rhapsody

Banned

If you're determined, you can always play the PS1 version for the story and then play the PS2 version. You'll have a better idea what's going on this time. Plus Destiny PS2's one of the Tales games that give you a flashing dot on where you're destination is.

Haha yeah, but they are so full of emotion that it alone makes them immensely enjoyable. And while the twists usually aren't anything new per se (Abyss' main twist did surprise me), the way they handle them make them still pretty whammy and awesome. And they tend to stick the games so full of them, at least a few are bound to surprise lol
Agreed on that, and I do like what you said about Tales having more than 1 twist each game as well. At the very least any betrayals/twist makes a lot more sense in terms of most RPGs lol

aravuus

If you're determined, you can always play the PS1 version for the story and then play the PS2 version. You'll have a better idea what's going on this time. Plus Destiny PS2's one of the Tales games that give you a flashing dot on where you're destination is.

You know

That never occurred to me.

That's actually not a bad idea. I'll still need to look if I can find the skits translated somewhere though, I found a youtube playlist but apparently it only has some of the early skits actually translated.

Still, it's a pretty neat idea. Thanks!

Young Magus

And then insert your own interpretation for betrayal XD (money, fame, blackmail) lol

Suddenly the idea of
Kratos, should this really be spoiled
betraying you for orphans down in Mexico sounds Oscar worthy.

While on the matter, how does Symphonia hold up in terms of plot for you all? And I'm I correct in hearing that the HD collection will have dual audio?

aravuus

I can't remember very much of Symphonia's plot... Which is why I'm planning to get the HD remake. I remember the gameplay being a bit on the boring side compared to most other Tales games so I hope they touch it a bit.

Jomjom

Banned
I hope this is the right place to ask, but do all the Tales games brought over to the west retain the opening J-pop or J-rock song?

I hope this is the right place to ask, but do all the Tales games brought over to the west retain the opening J-pop or J-rock song?

All the recent ones do now. It only started with Xillia though but Vesperia and Graces had the English version of the opening songs.

FSLink

Banned

Since Abyss and Radiant Mythology they did. Though Abyss/RM had instrumentals.
Vesperia and Graces had English versions of their songs.
Dawn of the New World was a special case, probably because it was a budget title + Symphonia 1 had an original instrumental in the localization too.
Xillia and it looks like newer ones will have the actual songs.

Since Abyss and Radiant Mythology they did. Though Abyss/RM had instrumentals.
Vesperia and Graces had English versions of their songs.
Dawn of the New World was a special case, probably because it was a budget title + Symphonia 1 had an original instrumental in the localization too.
Xillia and it looks like newer ones will have the actual songs.

I actually forgot ToS2 had an instrumental opening.

Jomjom

Banned
What about the older games like Phantasia,Destiny and Eternia? I owned the JP versions of those games only so I don't know.

What about the older games like Phantasia,Destiny and Eternia? I owned the JP versions of those games only so I don't know.

The only version of Phantasia released in America is the GBA version (shocking!) so no OP of whatever sorts, I think.

I think Eternia had some sort of instrumental OP.

Can't remember Destiny but it was probably another instrumental.

FSLink

Banned
The only version of Phantasia released in America is the GBA version (shocking!) so no OP of whatever sorts, I think.

I think Eternia had some sort of instrumental OP.

Can't remember Destiny but it was probably another instrumental.

Destiny had an instrumental and so did Eternia.

Phantasia GBA had an opening, but it was like the Super Famicom version where it was sprites and credits. The English version put world map music over it.

Bladenic

Where would you all rank Xillia's cast?

For me it's probably my second favorite after Vesperia, and above Rebirth and Symphonia.

Not sure where I'd rank the game itself. Vesperia is like a 9.5 for me, Xillia is probably an 8.5. But idk if its my second favorite, I'd say it's top tier for sure though.

ChrisG683

I'm still pretty early into Xillia, but the crew seems pretty interesting. I feel like individually they are all fairly interesting characters, but as a group, the meshing seems like the writers are forcing it a little bit. It doesn't feel as organic as Vesperia's cast, but I'll see how it develops =)

Currently I'm sitting at this:

Vesperia
Symphonia
Abyss & Xillia
Graces

To be fair, I don't think I even made it 20 hours into Graces... I just can't stand the game for some reason.

Actually has any seiyuu voiced more than one (playable or major) Tales character?

I imagine this could be less of an occurrence than English voice actors since there is a large range of seiyuus to use.

aravuus

For me it's probably my second favorite after Vesperia, and above Rebirth and Symphonia.

Not sure where I'd rank the game itself. Vesperia is like a 9.5 for me, Xillia is probably an 8.5. But idk if its my second favorite, I'd say it's top tier for sure though.

Same here on cast. As a game, I find both Vesperia and Xillia pretty much 9.0-9.5

Einbroch

Banned
Xillia's cast is my favorite, I think. Vesperia is close, but I felt like Judith was a throwaway character. There really isn't a throw away character here, with the exception of maybe Leia.

Young Magus

Xillia is up there, alongside Vesperia and Symphonia.

I hope Nobuyuki comes back one day to voice a tales character .

I also want a main character that is as hotblooded as stahhn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTk1GQ53POM

Seeing that makes the wait for the translation harder. Speaking of fan-translation: Has anyone here played the recent translation of Phantasia? How was it and how does it compare with the a0 version?

Rhapsody

Banned
Actually has any seiyuu voiced more than one (playable or major) Tales character?

I imagine this could be less of an occurrence than English voice actors since there is a large range of seiyuus to use.

Takahiro Sakurai for Legendia. Not as a playable character though.

demidar

Vesperia still the top, but Xillia (so far, haven't finished it yet) is right behind it. Other games behind those don't really matter too much in ranking.

Ultratech

Bladenic

Xillia's cast is my favorite, I think. Vesperia is close, but I felt like Judith was a throwaway character. There really isn't a throw away character here, with the exception of maybe Leia.

As much as I like Leia, she was way more throw away to the main plot compared to Judith. Judith was pretty integral to the plot, at least during a good part of it.

But seriously, Destiny R and Rebirth are my personal favorites of the series, makes me sad to see a departure from 2D games.

Still haven't played Destiny R, but Rebirth is one of my favorites. Sooooo fun. Love the battle system and the dual hi ougis. And Veigue is awesome.

Rhapsody

Banned
Hi guys. I want to play Tales of Destiny but am not sure what version I should get. Any suggestions?

PS2 Director's Cut. Best version of the game. DC added some more features and content, but nerfed some moves and abilities though.

PS1 version aged, so I wouldn't recommend that personally.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PS2 Director's Cut. Best version of the game. DC added some more features and content, but nerfed some moves and abilities though.

PS1 version aged, so I wouldn't recommend that personally.

With the director's cut, is the story completely different if you play as Leon?

Apparently new things may have been recorded for TOSC.

zKw9jv9.png

Yeah, but I didn't actually expect them to bother getting the original voice actors back after all these years lol. I kind of expected them to just leaves new things unvoiced and work around new skills and such by reusing other voice clips.

Bladenic

Yeah, but I didn't actually expect them to bother getting the original voice actors back after all these years lol. I kind of expected them to just leaves new things unvoiced and work around new skills and such by reusing other voice clips.

Yeah if there was new voice acting I was expecting the new actors from Dawn not the originals.

Top Bottom