• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

No believe me that's all I want too

If anything this shows they are still willing to whore out Destiny if possible, so maybe we will see a handheld version eventually

Destiny 3DS and I play nothing else for two months

Neeeeeeeds to be Vita version. I want those sprites to glisten on my screen.

And it'll probably be a Remake Reimagination and I'll want nothing to do with it.

Flamfas

Yeah, just a port no Reinagination pls

On another note, ToSU is confirmed to be at TGS. Can Namco please announce another game there? I don't recall them ever using that venue to announce a Tales game, but the timing seems right

It is pretty weird how we're going into TGS and only one Tales game is on the horizon.

Nothing portable too even though Namco was spitting out portable games like crazy just a few years ago. Where's my RM4, Namco!

Rpgmonkey

I could see them doing a Vesperia-style trailer announcement at TGS, with more info coming once ToSU is basically out of the way.

The trademarks make it seem like they're settling on a final title with an announcement coming soon, though "soon" could just be October around ToSU's release. :p

Flamfas

Yes, the typical announce a new title a week before another releases ;)

I'm hoping for TGS though because it is still pretty close (a month) to ToSU

Bladenic

Don't they always announce a new Tales at Jump Festa though? Unless they're gonna be different this year since there's no Tales game on the way besides ToS collection.

Flamfas

Don't they always announce a new Tales at Jump Festa though? Unless they're gonna be different this year since there's no Tales game on the way besides ToS collection.

The only one I can remember being announced there was Vesperia. I know for certain they didn't announce one there last year, and I know ToX2, ToX, ToHR, ToIR, and ToGf (in other words, recent games) were all announced elsewhere

Fisico

Xillia 2 most likely start the trend of announcing a new game at the Tales of Festival (the event wasn't big enough before I guess), I think it's still too soon to announce a new mothership this year, but maybe they have a port, a spin-off
or Tales of the Tempest R
beforehand.

Btw is the Sony conference 9/9 only for PS4 ?

Datschge

It's possible ToSC could be a union job. Them formally revealing Minae and Riegal as Milla and Jude before the game even hit suggests ToX may have been union as well.

Late question, but doesn't being union come with the obligation of giving full credits? No voice actor is credited in the Western Xillia versions...

Flamfas

It is NOT cool that they are doing such a big trailer for ToDK. Getting me excited for nothing. They even have new animated stuff in there. WHY TEASE ME NAMCO

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zKjWYquexk4

Late question, but doesn't being union come with the obligation of giving full credits? No voice actor is credited in the Western Xillia versions...

Is that so? Can't say I pay attention to credits. Xillia probably wasn't union then. Huh.

Flamfas

Destiny K site opened, and as we knew all along, it really is just the pachislot game. I knew that's all it was, but I wanted to believe ;___; Guess I can close the tab now

I had a weird ass dream where I was checking NPD and Xillia sold like 200k first month.

If only ;_;

If only, for real.

Not that this is anything scientific, but I do get the feeling Xillia is performing better than Graces f did, at the very least ... Hopefully we get some NPD leaks to see how it did.

Seda

Destiny K site opened, and as we knew all along, it really is just the pachislot game. I knew that's all it was, but I wanted to believe ;___; Guess I can close the tab now

If only, for real.

Not that this is anything scientific, but I do get the feeling Xillia is performing better than Graces f did, at the very least ... Hopefully we get some NPD leaks to see how it did.

Creamsugar will spill the beans

Rhapsody

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI9d6NDvXs

look at those GRAPHICS. They look like Xillia level detail, but cell shaded! MY DREAM

IN A SLOTS GAME

I am seriously suspecting (another) ToD remake, this time in full 3D. You don't make graphics like that for a slots game

I was expecting sarcasm, but that... looks pretty decent lol

I actually wanted Namco to do a tradition of one Tales full blown remake each gen, but reimaginings and HD upscales killed that dream. Eternia will never get its shot probably.

Soriku

Waiting for a Tales game with Guilty Gear Xrd level cel shading.

millia-rage.jpg

Bladenic

This ex dungeon in Xillia 2 is so annoying. And grinding is already so slow at level 82. Ugh

Anyway I finally seen Rowen and Muzet's dual hi ougi with Ludger. Rowen's might be my absolute favorite along with Rebirth Crusader. Just awesome. Muzet's is cool too

Fisico

Hum guys, doesn anyone know what Alfa System is doing right now ?

Oreshika/Over my Dead Body asides it looks like they haven't had a single game published since early 2011, there's an Oreshika 2 but I don't think we saw a single thing ever since a formal announcement.

For a team which was able to handle both Phantasy Star Portable and Radiant Mythology series simultaneously, this is kinda odd than we haven't heard of them for the last few years

Datschge

Hum guys, doesn anyone know what Alfa System is doing right now ?

Oreshika/Over my Dead Body asides it looks like they haven't had a single game published since early 2011, there's an Oreshika 2 but I don't think we saw a single thing ever since a formal announcement.

For a team which was able to handle both Phantasy Star Portable and Radiant Mythology series simultaneously, this is kinda odd than we haven't heard of them for the last few years

Blog mentions a Maoyu mobile game released late last year, they also did the Twin Braves Tales game last year, and together with the Oreshika PSP remake I thought they also announced they are working on a sequel.

Celcius

°Temp. member
When playing a Tales game I always completely ignore cooking & food items. It just seems completely unnecessary when you could use regular items. Is there any advantage?

When playing a Tales game I always completely ignore cooking & food items. It just seems completely unnecessary when you could use regular items. Is there any advantage?

Depends on the game.

Xillia: Free exp and gald boosts and food is all take out anyway.

Graces: Pretty easy to make food and you place it all in your little jar so it was pretty customizable.

The older ones usually gave nice end of battle bonuses and you need to cook anyway for titles in some of them.

I usually didn't use them at the beginning cause money's tight but later on, cooking and such becomes quick recovery every once in a while.

In the pre Graces f games the best use for food/cooking was to put meals that restored a lot of TP to balance out when the AI's arte spamming nature. Graces f it was nice to basically get a free revive or free "you just got mystic'd" heal as to not die on the harder difficulties. Xillia with crazy bonus exp and gald is pretty vital to stay ahead of the curve on hard mode

FSLink

Banned
Unless you're going for completion (for titles and such), yeah, cooking isn't very good outside of Destiny remake, Rebirth, Graces, and the Xillias.
It was worth finding the recipes for the Wonder Chef scenes though.

Unless you're going for completion (for titles and such), yeah, cooking isn't very good outside of Destiny remake, Rebirth, Graces, and the Xillias.
It was worth finding the recipes for the Wonder Chef scenes though.

How did those games handle cooking? I recall Destiny PSX had a food bag system that was really wonky

FSLink

Banned
How did those games handle cooking? I recall Destiny PSX had a food bag system that was really wonky

Rebirth it's worth it due to no actual healer in battle, you had to take advantage of Annie's AoE circles and the Force Gauge to get passive healing without items (which had a large cooldown from what I recall), so cooking is worth it here.

Destiny PS2 is like Graces.

Rebirth it's worth it due to no actual healer in battle, you had to take advantage of Annie's AoE circles and the Force Gauge to get passive healing without items (which had a large cooldown from what I recall), so cooking is worth it here.

Destiny PS2 is like Graces.

So how did you heal in Rebirth during long boss fights? Items and pray?

Flamfas

So how did you heal in Rebirth during long boss fights? Items and pray?

Annie's circles all grant you some sort of buff, cure a specific ailment, and they also cause you to slowly regenerate health while you are in them, more so the cooler your Rush Gauge is. Life Materia has an increased regeneration rate.

I also found myself recovering HP for doing things in battle, never fully understood due to it being Japanese, but I think you get a small HP recovery if you pull of a good combo, or something of the like

Bladenic

Annie's circles all grant you some sort of buff, cure a specific ailment, and they also cause you to slowly regenerate health while you are in them, more so the cooler your Rush Gauge is. Life Materia has an increased regeneration rate.

I also found myself recovering HP for doing things in battle, never fully understood due to it being Japanese, but I think you get a small HP recovery if you pull of a good combo, or something of the like

Close. Using a arte with a full square while fully cooled down restores a lot of HP. Also there is a HP regeneration stat, some characters restore much more and much more quickly than others. Tytree for example restores his HP very fast, while Eugene is much slower. I'm also pretty sure that spells like Gusty Nail will impart HP upon everyone not just Mao, though again that's probably dependant on the squares, RG, and HP regeneration stat.

Ugh just talking about this game makes me want to play it again. But I need to get a new Tales game instead, I'm thinking Narikiri Dungeon X or ToD2 next.

Flamfas

OHHH, that makes sense! I always thought the Enchant arte that each character had the effect of recovering HP, but since you can only use them when the arrow is full ... Ok, this makes sense to me now, I'm happy ^.^

And I'd say either of those are good bets, though I'd personally go for ToD2 first

Fisico

Blog mentions a Maoyu mobile game released late last year, they also did the Twin Braves Tales game last year, and together with the Oreshika PSP remake I thought they also announced they are working on a sequel.

Didn't now about the mobile game, I saw they were credited for Twin Braves but seriously I don't think it's a game that needed a large team and more than a 6 months development.

I was just wondering how much people are working there, 50-60 ? Oreshika doesn't look like that big of a project and it's not Twin Braves or some mobile game which have been taking up their ressources for the last three years

Datschge

I was just wondering how much people are working there, 50-60 ?

With public companies in Japan you can usually find that info right on their website: http://www.alfasystem.net/kaisya/
60 employees as of June this year. They even have a detailed list accounting for every section, something that's a first (Planning: 11, Programmer: 18, Designer: 29, Sound: 2, Promotion: 3, General affairs: 1, Accounting: 2, so 6 of those are either owners or freelancers).

Fisico

Didn't know that companies in Japan had this kind of transparency, thanks.
And on top of it, my rough estimate wasn't far from reality :p

The planning for the Tales series is kinda empty after Symphonia UP and I was wondering if Bamco gave Alfa System some kind of project Tales related since a few months/years already with a release scheduled in 2014.

WIld guess but dunno, the availability of the staff seem to fit (but instead, it could be an entirely different project which is keeping them busy)

Flamfas

The planning for the Tales series is kinda empty after Symphonia UP and I was wondering if Bamco gave Alfa System some kind of project Tales related since a few months/years already with a release scheduled in 2014.

Tales of Link and the Destiny Pachinko aside, I'd bet a lot on Namco announcing, this year, Tempest R for mid 2014. ; )

Then Catastora/whatever for fall 2014

Fisico

Tales of Link and the Destiny Pachinko aside, I'd bet a lot on Namco announcing, this year, Tempest R for mid 2014. ; )

Then Catastora/whatever for fall 2014

7th Chord is making a Kamen Rider game for 3DS, it means they would have to split ressources between this and Tempest R (they did it already though), and for the latter, unlike Innocence and Hearts, I don't think they would be able to reuse older assets, implying that there's a looot more work to do than for the two precedents Reimagine titles, and a one year span probably wouldn't be enough for them to pull it out

And the sales for Innocence R and Hearts R were really dreadful, would it still be wise from Namco to continue releasing titles selling like shit ? I know that they were somehow happy with it, so they mustn't have lose money here, but is it really worth the shot?

As for the next mothership I dunno, there is necessary one locked for the 20th anniversary between December 2015 and November 2016, having one published by the end of 2014 would mean that they are developping the two simultaneously, it's not impossible but how would they split the teams, and what value this 2014's title would have?

Almost nothing is 100% sure here, besides that there will be a 20th anniversary title, and we're still waiting for our Radiant Mythology 4 F2P on PS3! (after Tekken and Ace Combat Tales would be the next on the list :p)

Flamfas

I'll have to dig it up later, but I believe there was an interview where 7th chord (or maybe it was Namco, IDR) said, after Hearts R's release, that they had begun work on the next re-imagination and that they had left hints as to what it would be. It's going to be Tempest q:

(Edit: here ya go q:)

My prediction of mid 2014 may seem like a quick turnaround, though is it possible they started on it before Hearts R released? And they'll surely recycle Hearts R's engine much as Hearts R recycled then altered Innocence R's.

Bladenic

Yeah those vita remakes look quite dreadful. Not just outside battles but spell effects and most mystic artes look so boring. Shame really. Especially for Hearts.

Almost nothing is 100% sure here, besides that there will be a 20th anniversary title, and we're still waiting for our Radiant Mythology 4 F2P on PS3! (after Tekken and Ace Combat Tales would be the next on the list :p)

Dreams and hopes are being born and crushed in the same sentence.

Fisico

I'll have to dig it up later, but I believe there was an interview where 7th chord (or maybe it was Namco, IDR) said, after Hearts R's release, that they had begun work on the next re-imagination and that they had left hints as to what it would be. It's going to be Tempest q:

(Edit: here ya go q:)

My prediction of mid 2014 may seem like a quick turnaround, though is it possible they started on it before Hearts R released? And they'll surely recycle Hearts R's engine much as Hearts R recycled then altered Innocence R's.

A game is supposed to be gold a few weeks before release and generally the last part of a development doesn't require the full staff on it, so yes they could have begun as early as Fall 2012.
I didn't try to say they weren't making Tempest R at some point, I was aware of the hints and this interview, just that maybe the dreadful sales of Hearts R made them think twice about creating a Reimagine title for Tempest when absolute shitty titles like Twin Braves sell three times better.

Flamfas

It is worth wondering about, but I think they are making it anyway. Vita is picking up in Japan, I doubt Tempest R would sell /less/ than Innocence and Hearts R

Datschge

I'd think all the rabid Tales fans buying the inanely expensive costume DLCs makes up for some of the lacklustre sales.

As for 7th Chord, they did a Kamen Rider game in 2011 (DS) and last year (DS and PSP multiplatform even) as well, so aside from a slightly later release date for the next reimagination again (there were 14 months between IR and HR) this would appear to be in line with 7th Chord's usual modus operandi.

Top Bottom