• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Soriku

Well at least Bravely Default is released (well not in NA yet lol) and Drakengard 3 is coming from SE. Still though I couldn't see modern day SE announcing a Western release for Tales of Zestiria on the same day it was announced if they were in charge of Tales.

PKrockin

To be fair, Namco releases way too many Tales games and games in general. Far more than the amount of titles SE can produce, so it was bound to happen, haha.
Actually, yeah, it's almost more that SE can't release games reasonably in the first place.

Well at least Bravely Default is released (well not in NA yet lol) and Drakengard 3 is coming from SE. Still though I couldn't see modern day SE announcing a Western release for Tales of Zestiria on the same day it was announced if they were in charge of Tales.
Am I nuts or didn't Nintendo in some way fund Bravely Default's localization?

Any Tales of Series importers up in here?

rOpTe6z.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned

Several.

Personally, I imported (not counting US imports) Destiny R, Rebirth, Innocence R, Hearts R, Vesperia PS3, Xillia, Narikiri X and Tempest. Though, I only just realized while typing this I have this many.

Rhapsody

Banned
Am I nuts or didn't Nintendo in some way fund Bravely Default's localization?
Can't remember if there was anything confirming it, but possibly since it's possible they chose this over DQ7 to localize in the time span.

Also, jealous of that LE ToDR DC. Only have a real copy of the original ToDR and borrowed a friend's copy for DC.
Only imported ND2, Abyss, Rebirth, ToDR, Innocence, Hearts, ToP FVE, PS3 Vesperia, Xillia, Xillia 2. Played the rest, but never bought real copies of some of them just yet. I missed the buy 1 get 1 free PSN deal for Tales games unfortunately.

Bladenic

Just got ToD2 and Narikiri X. Had Rebirth, Hearts, and Xillia 2 before.

I realized I'll only have 3 main Tales games to play once I finish my recent purchases. Eternia, Innocence, and Destiny R. I started in 2004 with ToS haha. Next year will be so packed with Tales, can't wait.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yo. I'm not fishing out everything I imported, though.

Lots of people import Japanese Tales games on GAF. The import threads (in general) were part of the reason why I joined GAF in the first place because I liked the people posting in them. It's a different scene now than 2008-2010 when I'd originally read them, of course, but the import threads are usually quite informative with a lot of people helping each other, and fairly balanced in terms of game impressions.

Actually, if it weren't for the original Graces Wii thread I wouldn't have imported Graces f at all.

I will admit I'm feeling pretty burnt out on the series at the moment. I've played so many of them since the time I joined GAF that I'm somewhat staying away from the series just a little bit for now. I have Tales of Musou and Tales of Hearts R in my backlog but I just don't feel like playing either of them.

PKrockin

I will admit I'm feeling pretty burnt out on the series at the moment. I've played so many of them since the time I joined GAF that I'm somewhat staying away from the series just a little bit for now. I have Tales of Musou and Tales of Hearts R in my backlog but I just don't feel like playing either of them.

Well I'm sure platinuming certain games twice didn't help with that either :p

My more recent imports are of Tales of Vesperia PS3 (still haven't started it yet), Tales of Graces f (finished that), Tales of Xillia (plat'd that) and Tales of Xillia 2 (gonna start it someday...).

I been meaning to get the Vita games but been putting it off cause no reason to actually get something I would never around to playing.

Datschge

Those who didn't import missed the true Tales games! The brightly shining golden age of varied 2D PS2 Tales games!
I feel old.

Seda

My only import is Vesperia for PS3. I had already played through it twice on x360 and ps3 is the first region-free system I've owned.

Likewise, although I think I had played through Vesperia more like 4 times beforehand.

I don't typically import Japanese games because I am terrible with the language. Even though I knew Vesperia well from the 360 version, going through the menus to set up skills and artes and equipments was cumbersome, and even knowing what I had to do to continue to the game was not always clear (granted sometimes there were different 'triggers' than what the 360 version had).

I had to import that one due to the additions.

Vesperia PS3. I don't have a 360 so I never played that one in english. One of my best buying decisions.

My more recent imports are of Tales of Vesperia PS3 (still haven't started it yet), Tales of Graces f (finished that), Tales of Xillia (plat'd that) and Tales of Xillia 2 (gonna start it someday...).

I been meaning to get the Vita games but been putting it off cause no reason to actually get something I would never around to playing.
DO IT

Datschge

Because of PS2 games? Hope you're not serious... you're gonna make ye olde Commodore fans who grew up with Blue Max and Space Taxi feel old :p

Haha, no, it's just that time flies so quickly and both 2D Tales (and with it the teams distinction) and having to import major Tales games clearly are things of the past now but still feel to me like yesterday. Feel free to feel experienced! ;)

Levyne

Banned
Hi Tales Gaf

I've never posted in here for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of the games but I think I've played all of them localized since Symphonia.

Looking forward to both Xillia 2 and Symphonia re-release, and of course for DRAGONS down the road.

Subscribed.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Hi Tales Gaf

I've never posted in here for some reason. I'm not a huge fan of the games but I think I've played all of them localized since Symphonia.

Looking forward to both Xillia 2 and Symphonia re-release, and of course for DRAGONS down the road.

Subscribed.

Glad to have you.

Well I already played it in English on the 360 so it's not like I never experienced it.

And I kinda want to finish Xillia 2 in Japanese first before the game comes out here.

And I know I will want 'some' of the DLC costumes for Vesperia so I'm trying to stall myself from spending lots of money. >_>

Well I already played it in English on the 360 so it's not like I never experienced it.

And I kinda want to finish Xillia 2 in Japanese first before the game comes out here.

And I know I will want 'some' of the DLC costumes for Vesperia so I'm trying to stall myself from spending lots of money. >_>
Well that's slightly less bad then.

Vesperia has so many great costumes that I didn't even care to look for more on the store, but I still kinda want them even after playing the game for over 200 hours. Then Graces came with its overwhelming 3-5 costumes per character.

Well that's slightly less bad then.

Vesperia has so many great costumes that I didn't even care to look for more on the store, but I still kinda want them even after playing the game for over 200 hours. Then Graces came with its overwhelming 3-5 costumes per character.

I agree, but man do some of those DLC costumes look really nice. Especially since it looks like Namco put some work into making them look nice with all those cameo ones and the final armor sets. Makes you just want to buy them all....

Rhapsody

Banned
Vesperia's ingame and DLC costumes are probably my favorite out of the series. Xillia's was a disappointment, including DLC imo.

FSLink

Banned
The costumes in Vesperia PS3 are fantastic. Except...Namco, why make the First Strike costumes and the original Abyss costumes not buyable? :( Don't you want my money? Augh.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The costumes in Vesperia PS3 are fantastic. Except...Namco, why make the First Strike costumes and the original Abyss costumes not buyable? :( Don't you want my money? Augh.

I hated the Luke costume. Looked like garbage. The outfit looks like shit anyway.

a745

I pretty much have most of the games, yeah. Only ones I'm practically missing (and still in dire need of, PM me if you have ideas, thanks) are the limited editions of Legendia and Destiny 2 released in Korea.

Bladenic

ToD2 is mad fun yo. I loved owning that crab boss. Splash + extension spam by Nanaly and Reala = easy. Got 80.00 grade. Playing on Hard of course.

derwalde

thanks for the replies. serious question: is the pacing getting better? the last ~5-10 hours felt horrible slow in terms of story progression. further more, im not really sold on the cc-battle system. thinking about dropping it :(

thanks for the replies. serious question: is the pacing getting better? the last ~5-10 hours felt horrible slow in terms of story progression. further more, im not really sold on the cc-battle system. thinking about dropping it :(

If you're not sold on the cc combat system by that point you probably aren't going to be ever.

derwalde

If you're not sold on the cc combat system by that point you probably aren't going to be ever.

i had hopes that the story would pick up. dont get me wrong, i kind of like the characters. they are somehow adorable, though i really dislike the character (and general) artwork.

the cc combat system is weird. im playing on the difficulty above normal, only died once (to the last boss i mentioned above), though i dont reaaaallly know what exactly to do.

at the beginning of a battle i look if the enemy is weak to a or b/e artes and then i attack them with the respectively attacks. after a more or less fluid combo i block to restore some cc and to get that defense-break status. rinse and repeat.... ok sometimes i even dash. thats it.

Top Bottom