• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Thorgal

i had hopes that the story would pick up. dont get me wrong, i kind of like the characters. they are somehow adorable, though i really dislike the character (and general) artwork.

the cc combat system is weird. im playing on the difficulty above normal, only died once (to the last boss i mentioned above), though i dont reaaaallly know what exactly to do.

at the beginning of a battle i look if the enemy is weak to a or b/e artes and then i attack them with the respectively attacks. after a more or less fluid combo i block to restore some cc and to get that defense-break status. rinse and repeat.... ok sometimes i even dash. thats it.

There is your problem .
You are restricting yourself too much.

forget about exploiting enemy's weaknesses for a while and just cut loose with combos and arte's . (Damage will pile up fast regardless of weakness )
See what flows best from one attack to another .
Challenge yourself to get the biggest combo going you can get .

Switch characters around to prevent getting bored . etc.

derwalde

There is your problem .
You are restricting yourself too much.

forget about exploiting enemy's weaknesses for a while and just cut loose with combos and arte's . (Damage will pile up fast regardless of weakness )
See what flows best from one attack to another .
Challenge yourself to get the biggest combo going you can get .

Switch characters around to prevent getting bored . etc.

thanks for your advice.

but isnt the number of attacks in a combo "pre-defined" by the number of cc i have available? i cant gain cc within a combo, can i?!

Thorgal

thanks for your advice.

but isnt the number of attacks in a combo "pre-defined" by the number of cc i have available? i cant gain cc within a combo, can i?!

No .

but you can add more CC to armor and weapons through dualizing thereby increasing how many attacks you can do .

PKrockin

lol, okay, hold on a damn minute here

is this the official box art?

what the hell happened to Genis's mouth? And Regal's face? Did the artist's four year old scribble on it without anyone noticing? hahaha

0phthti.jpg

PKrockin

Honestly I looked at it and my first thought was that someone altered it in paint and posted it seeing if anyone would notice. lol

still in day 1 for dual audio despite being a crappy port

Rpgmonkey

lol, okay, hold on a damn minute here

is this the official box art?

what the hell happened to Genis's mouth? And Regal's face? Did the artist's four year old scribble on it without anyone noticing? hahaha

This is a common problem with Fujishima when he has to redraw characters after his initial collection of work. His new drawings for Vesperia PS3, Xillia 2, Abyss 3DS, and Symphonia U look off compared to his original designs, especially in the facial features. It gets brought up or complained about somewhat often by the Japanese fanbase, from what I've seen.

It's not like it's used in the actual game or anything so I guess it shouldn't matter, but it doesn't help my opinion that Fujishima isn't as consistent and creative as the other Tales artists.

I'm honestly legit surprised with the infinite number of tales game bamco pumps out over the years why they've never made a dating sim/vn/eroge type cross over game with the plethora of attractive female characters this series has. Seems like a recipe to print money to the otaku audience that is the tales fanbase

Thorgal

I'm honestly legit surprised with the infinite number of tales game bamco pumps out over the years why they've never made a dating sim/vn/eroge type cross over game with the plethora of attractive female characters this series has. Seems like a recipe to print money to the otaku audience that is the tales fanbase

Do not give them ideas !

Cause if they did an otome game instead, it'll sell even more.

steadfast

Hello Tales peeps! This is a series I've never tried and would like to as I finally got around to giving Persona a shot and enjoyed it a lot. It got me wondering what else I'm missing.

My question is, which game would be the most enjoyable overall experience? Symphonia seems to get the most love, should I just wait for Chronicles? I have PS3, 3DS, and WiiU, if that affects recommendations.

Thanks!

Thorgal

Hello Tales peeps! This is a series I've never tried and would like to as I finally got around to giving Persona a shot and enjoyed it a lot. It got me wondering what else I'm missing.

My question is, which game would be the most enjoyable overall experience? Symphonia seems to get the most love, should I just wait for Chronicles? I have PS3, 3DS, and WiiU, if that affects recommendations.

Thanks!

Depends on your preference . really

Symphonia is a good start and still holds up today although the art has aged a bit .

If you want a team destiny combat experience go with Graces f .

Xillia is also a good start .

All are good really .

Labadal

Thanks!

Both Tales games currently on PS3 are recommended by me. Graces f for a great combat and upgrade system. Xillia is also very good, with better characters and story than Graces, but not as good in the combat department. Tales of the Abyss is available on the 3Ds and I've enjoyed what I have played so far. Honestly, I'd recommend all of them but consider Graces f the most fun to play.

Thanks!

Start with Symphonia or Vesperia, they're the best first games in the series, that or classic phantasia just don't play the gba version as it's slow.

steadfast

Start with Symphonia or Vesperia, they're the best first games in the series, that or classic phantasia just don't play the gba version as it's slow.

Both Tales games currently on PS3 are recommended by me. Graces f for a great combat and upgrade system. Xillia is also very good, with better characters and story than Graces, but not as good in the combat department. Tales of the Abyss is available on the 3Ds and I've enjoyed what I have played so far. Honestly, I'd recommend all of them but consider Graces f the most fun to play.

Depends on your preference . really

Symphonia is a good start and still holds up today although the art has aged a bit .

If you want a team destiny combat experience go with Graces f .

Xillia is also a good start .

All are good really .

Thanks guys, Sounds like I'm giving Graces f a shot soon and will be playing Symphonia when it re-releases.

Levyne

Banned
Did anyone ever just decide to do the Symphonia re-release OT? Felt like a few people were hot-potato-ing it around with no real desire to do it, haha.

Warning with graces f is the story/characters might drive you crazy it's the second worst story in a localized tales game (worst is legendia)

Hmm. I thought Legendia was fine (for a Tales game). Though it has been awhile since I've played it. I remember some legitimately sad moments like between Moses (?) and his dog (?), and outside of STELLLLLA I don't remember the dialogue being too awkward.

That said, Legendia was not as fun to play. High encounter rates and an awkward battle system (at least it was when sandwiched between my playthroughs of Symphonia and Abyss.) The unique story progression with the character specific chapters after a primary plot was an new and interesting way to organize the game, though. I wonder what the other games like that are?

And I feel that Legendia's music isn't as good as some people make it to be. I always liked Symphonia's soundtrack more, and still might be my favorite.

Did anyone ever just decide to do the Symphonia re-release OT? Felt like a few people were hot-potato-ing it around with no real desire to do it, haha.

Hmm. I thought Legendia was fine (for a Tales game). Though it has been awhile since I've played it. I remember some legitimately sad moments like between Moses (?) and his dog (?), and outside of STELLLLLA I don't remember the dialogue being too awkward.

That said, Legendia was not as fun to play. High encounter rates and an awkward battle system (at least it was when sandwiched between my playthroughs of Symphonia and Abyss.) The unique story progression with the character specific chapters after a primary plot was an new and interesting way to organize the game, though. I wonder what the other games like that are?

And I feel that Legendia's music isn't as good as some people make it to be. I always liked Symphonia's soundtrack more, and still might be my favorite.

The main quest boils down to "my big brother is in love with my dead older sister instead of me so I'll destroy the world"

The character quest are good... But they aren't voiced in English and feel jarring after everything else was voiced the whole game .

Bladenic

Legendia is one game that I wish desperately would get a ToDr level remake. Preferably with Vesperia's graphics. It's the one Tales game (besides Phantasia and Destiny) who's primary flaw is gameplay/combat system.

FSLink

Banned
Legendia is one game that I wish desperately would get a ToDr level remake. Preferably with Vesperia's graphics. It's the one Tales game (besides Phantasia and Destiny) who's primary flaw is gameplay/combat system.

The fact that Tempest is likely to get a remake before Legendia is saddening. :(
Legendia's music is top tier, and I like all the characters minus Shirley.

Levyne

Banned
The main quest boils down to "my big brother is in love with my dead older sister instead of me so I'll destroy the world"

The character quest are good... But they aren't voiced in English and feel jarring after everything else was voiced the whole game .

Ah. To be honest I actually forgot that they weren't voiced. It's been awhile.

Ah. To be honest I actually forgot that they weren't voiced. It's been awhile.

The anime cut scenes are voiced which is even more jarring lol. The big flaw with putting the character stories at the end is it leaves characters like Grune and Jay with no development for dozens of hours.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
To be honest I don't really want to do the Symphonia HD OT lol. Not sure if Schala was going to helm it and I was going to write/edit.

FSLink

Banned
The anime cut scenes are voiced which is even more jarring lol. The big flaw with putting the character stories at the end is it leaves characters like Grune and Jay with no development for dozens of hours.

Yeah, it was due to a miscommunication between the localizers and the Japanese producers, they didn't get the memo that "Character Quests" was actually the 2nd half of the game, and not just some small sidequests like the name suggests.

Yeah, it was due to a miscommunication between the localizers and the Japanese producers, they didn't get the memo that "Character Quests" was actually the 2nd half of the game, and not just some small sidequests like the name suggests.

I thought there was some budgeting problems too, so they had to leave them undubbed due to that.

Bladenic

You'd think they would have realized otherwise...

Rhapsody

Banned
Haven't even started my US copy. That reminds me I should just find the undub version and play that because of character quests.

Soriku

What the hell?

Yeesh...I'm really glad Xillia voiced nearly all its subevents.

Datschge

I thought there was some budgeting problems too, so they had to leave them undubbed due to that.

Right, the previous localisation producer at Hometek confirmed on the Tales forum (RIP) that they didn't have the budget to voice everything, so had to keep something unvoiced and decide that during the development. FSLink is correct about the outcome.

You know, I really do like Tales of Vesperia, but I feel it is overrated.
In particular, I feel like the result of the end of the plot was lacking. I was more disappointed, I would say, by the plot of Tales of Vesperia than Tales of Graces.

It is true, however, I think, that Tales of Vesperia had a more loveable cast than Tales of Graces. While Tales of Graces had an overall better plot. I think I may also like the plot of Tales of Xillia slightly more than Tales of Vesperia, though that's hard to say and I also think most of the Tales of Xillia story is lacking.

This all also comes down to personal taste.
I also like several of the characters from Tales of Graces. And I like Asbel much better than most people do. His paternalistic chivalry gets on my nerves. Most annoyingly his occasional outright sexism. But like most characters, she is someone I like despite his faults. The whole friendship thing doesn't bother me, either.

I actually rather like Yuri a lot. I thought he might of possibly been a girl at first, and I like androgynous characters, so that was a plus. I also don't mind characters who get caught up in morals. But it's been done so many times before, that having Yuri not break down over moral issues was refreshing. I don't hold him on a pedastul, though. And there's a lot I also don't like about Yuri. He's also a very overrated character, in my opinion.

Estelle is probably my least favourite character from Tales of Vesperia. Which made some of the cliches at around the end of the game using her all the more uninteresting. I think that the entire plot of the game would have been better if it had taken an entirely different turn. I really play Tales of Vesperia for the characters. As the plot was pretty disappointing to me, especially in comparison to the two games that came before it, Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss.

Labadal

In particular, I feel like the result of the end of the plot was lacking. I was more disappointed, I would say, by the plot of Tales of Vesperia than Tales of Graces.

It is true, however, I think, that Tales of Vesperia had a more loveable cast than Tales of Graces. While Tales of Graces had an overall better plot. I think I may also like the plot of Tales of Xillia slightly more than Tales of Vesperia, though that's hard to say and I also think most of the Tales of Xillia story is lacking.

I also like several of the characters from Tales of Graces. And I like Asbel much better than most people do. His paternalistic chivalry gets on my nerves. Most annoyingly his occasional outright sexism. But like most characters, she is someone I like despite his faults. The whole friendship thing doesn't bother me, either.

I actually rather like Yuri a lot. I thought he might of possibly been a girl at first, and I like androgynous characters, so that was a plus. I also don't mind characters who get caught up in morals. But it's been done so many times before, that having Yuri not break down over moral issues was refreshing. I don't hold him on a pedastul, though. And there's a lot I also don't like about Yuri. He's also a very overrated character, in my opinion.

Estelle is probably my least favourite character from Tales of Vesperia. Which made some of the cliches at around the end of the game using her all the more uninteresting. I think that the entire plot of the game would have been better if it had taken an entirely different turn. I really play Tales of Vesperia for the characters. As the plot was pretty disappointing to me, especially in comparison to the two games that came before it, Tales of Symphonia and Tales of the Abyss.

Vesperias conclusion was very disappointing, with that I agree. On the other hand, the two first chapters are very good. The cast of characters and the amount of content is why I love the game. The combat is in my opinion the weakest of the three released Generation 7 consoles. On the other hand, I really like the system of learning skills from equipment. The graphical style also made the game more enjoyable, with good looking backgrounds.

Bladenic

I actually prefer Vesperia's gameplay to Xillia. Possibly even Graces.

But I'll admit I'm a bit of a fanboy. It's my favorite in the series, after all.

Asbel is gay and stubborn. I don't see him as sexist, though.

Levyne

Banned
I actually prefer Vesperia's gameplay to Xillia. Possibly even Graces.

But I'll admit I'm a bit of a fanboy. It's my favorite in the series, after all.

This is, ballpark, my opinion as well.

At least Vesperia part 3 wasn't as bad as Abyss part 3, right? Only 2nd worst!

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah? It was handled monumentally incompetatntly, but was NEVER sexist like "stay behind me, lil lady". At least he isn't that. :p

Bladenic

This is, ballpark, my opinion as well.

At least Vesperia part 3 wasn't as bad as Abyss part 3, right? Only 2nd worst!

Yep, though then again I'm a Abyss hater, a little bit. I also agree that Vesperia's story was the best in the series until part 3. And it's not like part 3 was any worse than usual Tales. It was only disappointing because it was worse than parts 1 and 2, and because it fell back to usual Tales fare instead of continuing and finishing the justice stuff.

Although I think the best overall Tales story is Xillia 2 now. Although I'm not a fan of some aspects of it and how the story feels really left field in the context of Xillia.

I think my copy of Abyss 3DS is gone. I don't know whether I should bother replacing it. I was at
the part right after you stabilize the core and beat Sync again, revealing that he's a clone, and causing him to kill himself.

I got the game soon after it launched in the US so yeah. I don't know why but it felt like a chore to play. I really don't want to go through the part of the game where Luke's
still a whiny bitch
again, either. I also already know how it ends - thank you, brother *sigh* - so I don't feel that motivated to finish it just to get to the ending.

Should I just get a different Tales game instead of replacing it? I only have the money for one ATM. I was thinking of getting Xillia after Christmas. Since I was forcing my way through most of Abyss to the point where it took me that long to get to that point anyways I'm thinking I'm best off just not bothering. And honestly, the only character in that game I really liked was Jade...

Top Bottom