• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Rhapsody

Banned
I think my copy of Abyss 3DS is gone. I don't know whether I should bother replacing it. I was at
the part right after you stabilize the core and beat Sync again, revealing that he's a clone, and causing him to kill himself.

I got the game soon after it launched in the US so yeah. I don't know why but it felt like a chore to play. I really don't want to go through the part of the game where Luke's
still a whiny bitch
again, either. I also already know how it ends - thank you, brother *sigh* - so I don't feel that motivated to finish it just to get to the ending.

Should I just get a different Tales game instead of replacing it? I only have the money for one ATM. I was thinking of getting Xillia after Christmas. Since I was forcing my way through most of Abyss to the point where it took me that long to get to that point anyways I'm thinking I'm best off just not bothering. And honestly, the only character in that game I really liked was Jade...

I'd say get a different Tales game if you didn't enjoy Abyss. Especially if you don't have a lot of cash for games so you can try something new that you might like even more. Abyss had a lot issues with it (pacing, technical issues, an unfun battle system, etc). As much as I dislike portions of Abyss, I did like Luke's personality growth. Also had my favorite ending for a "newer" Tales game. Since that's spoiled, I wouldn't bother with it unless you feel the need to get every game later.

I only played the Japanese version though, so I never heard how whiny he sounds in the dub.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm fighting the infamous Barbatos 2. What the fuck? Had him down to 6k and he got to close to the mages and it was over.

Yeah... that fight was really hard if I'm remembering correctly where the 2nd fight is. Just like the 2nd half of Destiny 2, all you can do is pray that you protect your mages the whole time. I'm not sure if I was able to beat it with all 4 party members alive.

I think I solo'ed it with Judas since my party members died to so fast one time.

Bladenic

Yeah... that fight was really hard if I'm remembering correctly where the 2nd fight is. Just like the 2nd half of Destiny 2, all you can do is pray that you protect your mages the whole time. I'm not sure if I was able to beat it with all 4 party members alive.

I think I solo'ed it with Judas since my party members died to so fast one time.

How would you possibly solo him? He counters everything. Literally.

Rhapsody

Banned
How would you possibly solo him? He counters everything. Literally.

Oh wait, now I remember. It wasn't a solo. I controlled Judas and had one party member just casting the whole time.
I don't think I even had my controlled character attack. Just dodged as much as I could.

So much of the fight is just luck. lol

Edit: And if I remember correctly, after this fight, you're able to get the No Gels title if you never used any. Way too late in the game...

Yay, I found Abyss! It was in my pants pocket. Guess I'll finish it off this week but I think I'll still get Xillia. I've played Symphonia, GBA Phantasia, Legendia, and Abyss, and Abyss was the only one that didn't make me go ":)"

Bladenic

Voting for the character popularity poll is now open.

Again, you can't vote for Yuri and Leon anymore.

Watch Judas win this one.

Judas is kind of boring though. I mean, I'm playing ToD2 right now and he really doesn't do much of anything. I guess he's cool but Harold, Nanaly, and Loni are way better. Though the game is mostly the Kyle/Reala show, which is annoying since they both suck.

I personally think the Rebirth cast is really underrated. I really liked all of them.

FSLink

Banned
Judas is kind of boring though. I mean, I'm playing ToD2 right now and he really doesn't do much of anything. I guess he's cool but Harold, Nanaly, and Loni are way better. Though the game is mostly the Kyle/Reala show, which is annoying since they both suck.

I personally think the Rebirth cast is really underrated. I really liked all of them.

Well yeah, but the joke is that all the Leon fanboys and fangirls will just go vote Judas.

Vesperias conclusion was very disappointing, with that I agree. On the other hand, the two first chapters are very good.
I agree with that. The first of the game is very enjoyable. It's how the plot resolved that was disappointing. There was also a lack of build-up to the pre-final boss and I felt the character and was a bit underwhelming as a villain. The entire ending of Tales of Vesperia, even felt a bit rushed.

I feel that's a pretty big flaw, as well. Since part of the fun in Japanese RPGs is anticipating and looking forward to the ending.
Asbel is gay and stubborn.
Sounds like a compliment, to me.

As for him being sexist, when he was a child, he said he couldn't have a girl protect him. Of course, he was just an immature little boy, then. And he doesn't continue saying things like that. But his feelings came off a bit paternalistic to me for most of the game. Like his mentality never changed all that much.

And, to be honest, that's about the only possible criticism I can have of Asbel. I don't understand why Asbel resonates so poorly with many people.
It's been a little while since I've played it. Maybe I'm overestimating his chivalry, due to the fact that some people are so critical of him, for whatever reason.

Soriku

Judas is voteable? They fucked up.

As for Asbel, he goes on about what's wrong with Richard, why's he doing this, etc. and he doesn't know, but the audience knows so people just think he's an idiot but he couldn't have possibly known that Richard is possessed by some evil thing or other.

I don't think he's a bad character. Not the best in the game but yeah.

Sounds like a compliment, to me.
As for him being sexist, when he was a child, he said he couldn't have a girl protect him. Of course, he was just an immature little boy, then. And he doesn't continue saying things like that. But his feelings came off a bit paternalistic to me for most of the game. Like his mentality never changed all that much.

And, to be honest, that's about the only possible criticism I can have of Asbel. I don't understand why Asbel resonates so poorly with many people.
It's been a little while since I've played it. Maybe I'm overestimating his chivalry, due to the fact that some people are so critical of him, for whatever reason.

I don't really see it as sexist that he's so protective over Sophie. She's lost her memories and, despite being older than the rest, doesn't age. Its more like being protective over a younger sister than anything else. Asbel also is too stubborn to accept that anyone is able to protect him.. male or female.

Link1110

I got Unisont Pack... Umm, is there Free Run in this? I don't seem to have access to it yet, but please tell me there's an accessory at some point. That's the one addition I wanted in a remake of Symphonia.

I got Unisont Pack... Umm, is there Free Run in this? I don't seem to have access to it yet, but please tell me there's an accessory at some point. That's the one addition I wanted in a remake of Symphonia.

Nope, still no free run in Symphonia. It's not a HD remake but just a HD port. Namco is lazy, etc etc

demidar

It always baffled me, now and back then when I first played it, that you had a 3D battle arena yet you could only move on set lines.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't really mind Symphonia not having free run. Although my only issue is how difficult it is to protect spellcasters.
Plus Symphonia would've been too easy if they added it in.

Honestly all I wanted was Symphonia to have the artes sphere in with 4 shortcuts
along with gamecube fps.

PKrockin

It always baffled me, now and back then when I first played it, that you had a 3D battle arena yet you could only move on set lines.

Without free run you have to actually balance blocking, backstepping, and jumping intelligently to not get cornered. In Abyss all of those defensive options are made worthless because you can just run circles around enemies all day. It's silly.

There was some trick where you could get some of both. It was pretty cool with Genis.

Tiger Rage -> Twin Tiger Blade all day

Levyne

Banned
I think that exploit's been fixed, unfortunately. I forget if that was a PS2 thing or for the re-release. Either way, pretty sure it's gone.

Rhapsody

Banned
I think that exploit's been fixed, unfortunately. I forget if that was a PS2 thing or for the re-release. Either way, pretty sure it's gone.

GC exploit only. Got removed on the PS2 version.

I couldn't get Raine's last skill on one of them I think on my GC file. Not sure why it never activated.

LuuKyK

Should I feel bad if I am kind of having more fun with Xillia battle system than Graces? I like Graces too, but I feel like its just way too busy and sometimes I have no idea what I am doing, maybe its the graphics (I mean, I know its a port and all). I just feel like I have more control over the characters in Xillia, its hard to explain. Don't get me wrong I love both games, but I don't know...

Should I feel bad if I am kind of having more fun with Xillia battle system than Graces? I like Graces too, but I feel like its just way too busy and sometimes I have no idea what I am doing, maybe its the graphics (I mean, I know its a port and all). I just feel like I have more control over the characters in Xillia, its hard to explain. Don't get me wrong I love both games, but I don't know...

No, Xilia was a lot more fun.. I thought.. Graces dragged on and on and the battle system didn't really help.

Got Xillia yesterday.

I hate it because it's stopping me from playing A Link Between Worlds. I started Xillia a bit past noon and kept going until 2 AM because I'm having so much fun. After I eat and start a SMTIV download I plan on jumping right back in.

I hate this game. ;)

Regarding Symphonia and Free Run... I would have been disappointed if they had put that in the port TBH. Would have made the game way too easy. It also would have felt weird because that was my first Tales game and I played through it a bunch of times.

Rhapsody

Banned
Got Xillia yesterday.

I hate it because it's stopping me from playing A Link Between Worlds. I started Xillia a bit past noon and kept going until 2 AM because I'm having so much fun. After I eat and start a SMTIV download I plan on jumping right back in.

I hate this game. ;)

Regarding Symphonia and Free Run... I would have been disappointed if they had put that in the port TBH. Would have made the game way too easy. It also would have felt weird because that was my first Tales game and I played through it a bunch of times.
You should definitely get back to ALBW. But that's just my opinion.

FSLink

Banned

I think they should have as an option, plus even though it'd break the game, it's not like it's any different from how Free Run affected Abyss.

But apparently adding it as an option was too much to ask for Namco, let alone basic things like actual upgraded textures and the GC game's framerate. :p

Soriku

I popped in Graces F for a bit and now I have Xillia in and I have to say I like the combat in Xillia more. I mainly play the protags in the Tales series, and between Jude vs. Asbel, I just like the feel of Jude and his artes more. Aerial combat is a biggie for me so Xillia gets points there too. Also I really like Jude's Snap Pivot; I think it should extend to more than just Xillia honestly.

Datschge

Just saw the Japanese staff roll for ToS-R PS3, it's quite a bloodbath again with the original listing being pretty much worthless due to missing more than half of its staff (with rather crucial roles like composers being completely absent now). This makes it easy to check who was employed at Tales Studio but isn't anymore at Namco Bandai Studios (also who is still there and got married ^^). Nevertheless this is quite the irritating approach, messing with old credits like that. Does anyone know whether Namco and/or Bandai is doing that since way before and just Tales Studio having been legally separate made it unaffected?

What happened to Soriku?

demidar

bishop cleaned house in that Cory in the House DS thread, of which Soriku posted in. Some dude posted an image using "gay" as a pejorative, and argument ensued and bishop decapitated people.

Goddamn bloodbath and the thread's locked.

Heyt

Banned
I'm replaying Xillia on NG+... The plot allways felt much less substained than in other Tales, specially the second half. Does Xillia 2 kind of fix this or it just expands over this unstable premises to make it up for the game's ending?

PKrockin

Got Innocence R and Vesperia PS3 in the mail yesterday.

Might be a mistake trying to play this game at this point in my Japanese studies, but fuck it. lol. I'm more or less getting what's going on... well, less so with the parts involving Asura and co.

I don't know if Link got here before me and raided this treasure chest or what.

f30iBBj.jpg

Link1110

Judas is voteable? They fucked up.

As for Asbel, he goes on about what's wrong with Richard, why's he doing this, etc. and he doesn't know, but the audience knows so people just think he's an idiot but he couldn't have possibly known that Richard is possessed by some evil thing or other.

I don't think he's a bad character. Not the best in the game but yeah.
The possessed best friend and collect the crystals plot made Graces feel too much like FF4 at times. The gameplay was really fun though so that saved it a bit. I didn't hate asbel, I thought he got super protective because of the end of the childhood arc. Even if he was too protective the story was about him being protected much more, it's even in the opening song.

Bladenic

Got Innocence R and Vesperia PS3 in the mail yesterday.

Might be a mistake trying to play this game at this point in my Japanese studies, but fuck it. lol. I'm more or less getting what's going on... well, less so with the parts involving Asura and co.

I don't know if Link got here before me and raided this treasure chest or what.

If/when I get a Vita I'm definitely importing Innocence R.

I'm at the final dungeon of ToD2 but I haven't gamed much and now I'm back on SMT4. Then it's back to Phantasia then Narikiri X. I liked what I played of Phantasia (up to where you get Arche) but oh boy is Narikiri X insanely fun. Absolutely love class systems, would love for them to do another Tales with a class system (high budget spinoff or mainline title).

I wonder if 2014 will be the year I finally play all the Tales games. After ToD2 and Phantasia I would only need to play Eternia, Innocence, and Destiny (Only interested in R of both the latter). Of course it'll be hard since ToSC and Zestiria will be out in 2014. I'm already set on importing Zestiria if the localization goes into 2015.

How is tales of heroes?
It looks like dissidia but tales

It's a weird attempt at a Tales musou game.

Though being on the PSP kinda doesn't give it the same feel of a normal musou game with smashing cannon fodder like no tomorrow.

I didn't get to play much of it since my PSP was on its last legs of being usable when it came out but it was more enjoyable than Tales of Vs, lol.

RPGCrazied

So who is doing the ToS Chronicles OT? I know its not near time, just wondering. I'm probably one of the few on GAF getting the CE. Still haven't seen pictures of the steelbook. I hope its like Vesperia's, was nice.

Top Bottom