• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Seda

So who is doing the ToS Chronicles OT? I know its not near time, just wondering. I'm probably one of the few on GAF getting the CE. Still haven't seen pictures of the steelbook. I hope its like Vesperia's, was nice.

I am. Kayos will probably help.

Datschge

Awesome, can't wait. Also, I hear the games don't run off the discs? Like you install them. Can you remove the disc and play them once installed? Probably not.

It seems one needs to install Dawn first to be able to play it as there's no menu to select the game when starting from the disc. At least that appears to be the case with the Japanese version.

Started a new file in Xillia today after attempting to previously play it shortly after release last year and getting bored.

Don't know what it is this time around, but it's definitely grabbed my attention now, though I'm still trying to get Link Artes down. The plot really isn't doing anything for me so far (Just got Elize), but we'll see where it goes, I guess.

Proven

Started a new file in Xillia today after attempting to previously play it shortly after release last year and getting bored.

Don't know what it is this time around, but it's definitely grabbed my attention now, though I'm still trying to get Link Artes down. The plot really isn't doing anything for me so far (Just got Elize), but we'll see where it goes, I guess.

The plot is still moving very slow at that point. It doesn't really start to pick up until you get your next party member.

LuuKyK

The story definitely gets better later on. The start is really boring/slow.

Bladenic

It seems one needs to install Dawn first to be able to play it as there's no menu to select the game when starting from the disc. At least that appears to be the case with the Japanese version.

Wait what now? So if you install ToS then you can't play Dawn and vice versa? I'm confused.

Milennia

Holy crap... Tvesperia is expensive after all these years, i was hoping for maybe 20$ New :/ oh well ill pick it up anyway, since its been recommended to me so much.

Is the symphonia series remake looking good? Is it recommended i pick that one up as a newbie in the series outside of Xillia?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Holy crap... Tvesperia is expensive after all these years, i was hoping for maybe 20$ New :/ oh well ill pick it up anyway, since its been recommended to me so much.

If you don't mind having it as a download version, it should be around $20 on XBL.

Is the symphonia series remake looking good? Is it recommended i pick that one up as a newbie in the series outside of Xillia?

Sure, why not? ToS is a good game and the collection seems to be solid enough.

Milennia

If you don't mind having it as a download version, it should be around $20 on XBL.

Sure, why not? ToS is a good game and the collection seems to be solid enough.

Oh yeah, didn't think of looking at digital, ill go down that route then thanks.

Ill probably pick up ToS then, i was just curious as i haven't researched that sub series yet and was reading overt he thread and talk of the remake, so wasn't sure how the combat system/story were :p

Especially in terms of difficulty regarding the combat.

Daria

Just picked up TALES OF VESPERIA on XBL for under $5. Was hoping to have a physical copy, but whatever, I'm excited to play this.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Currently 26 hours-ish in Xillia and just reached Kambala.

Wow, this is a long game. Padded a lot by how much they littered the world field with monsters though, forcing you to fight for like every 5 seconds or so. Not that I mind much, actually, since I like the combat system and filling out Lillium Orb is crack.

We have Xillia 2 already confirmed for english release, right? When? Wonder if I manage to finish everything that I want to finish by the time it releases.

Speaking of Xillia combat, is there a visual cue to let me know if I've flash guarded correctly? I'm trying to practice getting that down, but I have no idea whether or not I'm doing it right.

Althane

Based off of normal play, with pretty crappy technical skills (i.e. don't expect me to flash guard any time soon), how much grade will I have from titles at the end of the game?

Need to know if I should practice my technical skills/read guides on them. Game hasn't been hard so far, monsters seem pretty loath to actually attack, and bosses so far are pretty telegraphic in their attacks.

Speaking of Xillia combat, is there a visual cue to let me know if I've flash guarded correctly? I'm trying to practice getting that down, but I have no idea whether or not I'm doing it right.

I never saw any visual que outside of characters like Jude and Leia who activate their abilities with flash guarding via certain skills. Grinding Leia's pole extension via flash guard is how I got good at it.

Based off of normal play, with pretty crappy technical skills (i.e. don't expect me to flash guard any time soon), how much grade will I have from titles at the end of the game?

Need to know if I should practice my technical skills/read guides on them. Game hasn't been hard so far, monsters seem pretty loath to actually attack, and bosses so far are pretty telegraphic in their attacks.

Probably around 2000, maybe more if you like to switch between who you play and who you like with.

PKrockin

I think every character has a skill that restores HP or some other resource when they flash guard, so keep an eye out for that.

Heyt

Banned
I'm replaying Xillia on NG+... The plot allways felt much less substained than in other Tales, specially the second half. Does Xillia 2 kind of fix this or it just expands over this unstable premises to make it up for the game's ending?

Could somebody answer this, please?

CorvoSol

So I just started Tales of the Abyss. It is my first Tales game! I just played through P4G and loved that, and while I've been told to temper my expectations of this particular Tales game, I want to know: is there anything I need to know that will effect the game's ending?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I just started Tales of the Abyss. It is my first Tales game! I just played through P4G and loved that, and while I've been told to temper my expectations of this particular Tales game, I want to know: is there anything I need to know that will effect the game's ending?

There is only one ending.

yami4ct

Almost done with Xillia. Need to wrap up some final side-quests before jumping into the last dungeon. Probably will hold off on it for a bit as I grabbed Veperia on sale. Given all the good things I've heard about it, I can't wait to try it out. Will be my 3rd Tales game after Graces and Xillia.

Ultratech

Yeah, there's nothing silly that affects the game's ending.

Though if you want everything in the game, you'll have to go through it twice (some stuff only pops up in subsequent playthroughs).

If you want to do all the sidequests, I highly suggest using a guide since a bunch of them are missable, and are only available for limited amounts of time.
(This was one of the things I absolutely hated while playing through the first time.)

CorvoSol

There is only one ending.

Sweet. Is there any general pointers I need?

Yeah, there's nothing silly that affects the game's ending.

Though if you want everything in the game, you'll have to go through it twice (some stuff only pops up in subsequent playthroughs).

If you want to do all the sidequests, I highly suggest using a guide since a bunch of them are missable, and are only available for limited amounts of time.
(This was one of the things I absolutely hated while playing through the first time.)

Eh, I'm fine with missing optional stuff on my first go around if the game has a NG+ feature.

PKrockin

Sweet. Is there any general pointers I need?

Eh, I'm fine with missing optional stuff on my first go around if the game has a NG+ feature.

Nothing you need, really. If you want a ton of Gald, hold off on selling your old stuff until prices skyrocket at some point in the story. There's one fight very early that's ridiculously hard. If you want the best skills you might want to check an AD Skill/C.Core guide on GameFAQs. The Sword Dancer fights do have cutoffs so I would fight them soon after finding them.

CorvoSol

So I got as far as
recruiting Mieu
in the game last night, and I have a few thoughts.

Luke is really, really whiny. Given that he has the same voice actor as Tidus I'm willing to gamble it's intentional and meant to show him turning into an actual good person at some point that's later than the 1st hour of the game. Kid is still REALLY bitchy. He's always asking "What's her problem!" and I'm like, "Dude, she was just trying to be nice to you, man."

Tear's great because she reflects how I would feel if I were stuck traveling with a putz like Luke. So no problem with her.

I thought Ion was a chick.

Plot wise I feel this game is a LITTLE term-heavy. "Daathic Fonic Arte" is a mouthful, for instance. Some elements of the plot seem sort of doofy, too (Mieu can't breathe fire without the ring, but started a fire somehow anyway? Hm?) but whatever. One should not ever expect a JRPG's plot to be hard hitting in the first hour, and being serious all the time can be detrimental to a game's plot.

FANGBLADEFANGBLADEFANGBLADE

Thorgal

So I got as far as
recruiting Mieu
in the game last night, and I have a few thoughts.

Luke is really, really whiny. Given that he has the same voice actor as Tidus I'm willing to gamble it's intentional and meant to show him turning into an actual good person at some point that's later than the 1st hour of the game. Kid is still REALLY bitchy. He's always asking "What's her problem!" and I'm like, "Dude, she was just trying to be nice to you, man."

Tear's great because she reflects how I would feel if I were stuck traveling with a putz like Luke. So no problem with her.

I thought Ion was a chick.

Plot wise I feel this game is a LITTLE term-heavy. "Daathic Fonic Arte" is a mouthful, for instance. Some elements of the plot seem sort of doofy, too (Mieu can't breathe fire without the ring, but started a fire somehow anyway? Hm?) but whatever. One should not ever expect a JRPG's plot to be hard hitting in the first hour, and being serious all the time can be detrimental to a game's plot.

FANGBLADEFANGBLADEFANGBLADE

Not going to spoil anything but i would like to make a correction :

( read if you cleared the cheagle woods )

Cheagles can breathe fire naturally but Mieu is still too young to do so normally and when he recently learned it he accidentally lost control .

The ring , apart from giving him the ability to speak enhances his ability's Therefore alowing him to breathe fire normally .
Source : the game and the Wiki

And about
Ion being mistaken for a chick : Many did also :p

Seda

Luke doesn't have the same voice as Tidus, at least not in English. And yes, be prepared to hear about fonons and fonic hymns and fonic artes and fonic blah blah blah. Luke is a decently dynamic character, but I would not say for the better.

CorvoSol

Luke doesn't have the same voice as Tidus, at least not in English. And yes, be prepared to hear about fonons and fonic hymns and fonic artes and fonic blah blah blah. Luke is a decently dynamic character, but I would not say for the better.

Are you sure? Cuz Luke definitely sounds like Johnny Test.

Corvo , your reaction toward Luke is exactly what the creators intended but don't worry

i don't think you'll be disapointed the more you play.

Honnest.

Tales GAF! So I know Tales of Symphonia HD collection is a lazy HD port, but any idea if Namco Bandai EU/NA took the effort to voice the skits in English or is the only way for voice is the Japanese audio?

Levyne

Banned
I was sure gaius sounded like ansem from kingdom hearts, it blew my mind that it wasn't the same guy.

Travis Willingham has a super distinctive voice for me. To be honest I forget what Ansem sounds like though. He also had a VA change muddling things.

I was sure gaius sounded like ansem from kingdom hearts, it blew my mind that it wasn't the same guy.

I played Kingdom Hearts 1.5 fairly recently and the two didn't really sound similar to me. Then again Ansem's voice actor changed in later games.

I knew Gaius was voiced by Willingham right away since he had the exact same voice as Mustang in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

CorvoSol

Corvo , your reaction toward Luke is exactly what the creators intended but don't worry

i don't think you'll be disapointed the more you play.

Honnest.

Well, I mean, a JRPG protag being an annoying, whiny bitch at the start is normal. It's how he behaves 30 hours in that I'll worry about.

Red Mage

Well, I mean, a JRPG protag being an annoying, whiny bitch at the start is normal. It's how he behaves 30 hours in that I'll worry about.

At 30 hours in, you'll probably be rather sympathetic towards Luke and kind of pissed at
the rest of the cast
. >_>

I'm just worried Abyss will turn you off from the entire series.

Nah, Corvo likes Final Fantasy, and Abyss really reminds me of a SNES/PSX era FF plot, so it should be good.

I'd have worried if he had started with Legendia.

I was sympathetic towards Luke at first but his pity party got on my nerves so I ended up liking no one.

I feel like I should replay Abyss to find some merit in it because genuinely all I remember about it was the fact that I hated everyone.

But what if my hatred intensifies and consumes me in white hot blaze of anger?

Because I mean if characters could piss me off when I was 14, goodness knows what they will do to me in my twenties.

Top Bottom