• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Red Mage

I was sympathetic towards Luke at first but his pity party got on my nerves so I ended up liking no one.

I feel like I should replay Abyss to find some merit in it because genuinely all I remember about it was the fact that I hated everyone.

But what if my hatred intensifies and consumes me in white hot blaze of anger?

Because I mean if characters could piss me off when I was 14, goodness knows what they will do to me in my twenties.

Jade was awesome. Guy is kind of funny until
you see his past
, and then NG+ just turns into fridge horror whenever something about him pops up.

I was sympathetic towards Luke at first but his pity party got on my nerves so I ended up liking no one.

I feel like I should replay Abyss to find some merit in it because genuinely all I remember about it was the fact that I hated everyone.

Because I mean if characters could piss me off when I was 14, goodness knows what they will do to me in my twenties.

Do it Meccanical, do it for me.
This totally isn't because I want to see you broken down once more by one of the worst casts I have had the displeasure of spending 20 plus hours with before I threw in the towel.

Proven

This is how I felt about it when I started the game in high school. I called it "Tales of the Assholes" and only bothered muddling through it because it was a multiplayer RPG to play with my brother and cousin and the three of us had enjoyed Symphonia.

But then shit hits the fan, people lose their patience, and after all that it finally gets better. It helped that the FoF system incidentally was a great system for multiplayer.

Red Mage

Do it Meccanical, do it for me.
This totally isn't because I want to see you broken down once more by one of the worst casts I have had the displeasure of spending 20 plus hours with before I threw in the towel.

I see you've never played Xenosaga, FFXIII, or Legendia. = x

I see you've never played Xenosaga, FFXIII, or Legendia. = x

I think Abyss is better because at least I liked some of the characters briefly before they shit the bed with their antics.

In FFXIII I never liked anyone at any time. I skipped all cutscenes in Xenosaga because I didn't care about anything except giant robots.

CorvoSol

I'm just worried Abyss will turn you off from the entire series.

Nah, people warned me going in. It'd be like being turned off from FF if I only played the worst of the series.

I will ask up front, though, for when I finish Abyss: What is the best Tales of Game I could get for a hand held console? So that when I finish Tales I can look at the best of the series.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I will ask up front, though, for when I finish Abyss: What is the best Tales of Game I could get for a hand held console? So that when I finish Tales I can look at the best of the series.

I'd say Tales of Eternia. But if you don't like Abyss, you'll know that you don't have to consider my opinion.

Rhapsody

Banned
Nah, people warned me going in. It'd be like being turned off from FF if I only played the worst of the series.

In English? Tales of Eternia, but UK only for the PSP version.
There aren't that many English Tales for handheld.

Bladenic

None in English lol

Tales of Rebirth for PSP, but JP only :(

Red Mage

Best overall, go for Tales of Symphonia. = x

I guess best overall would be Symphonia...I don't remember anything particularly bad about it.

After that I guess it would be Vespiria.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Well, I mean, a JRPG protag being an annoying, whiny bitch at the start is normal. It's how he behaves 30 hours in that I'll worry about.

Your current thoughts are pretty typical, even amongst those who like the game. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Levyne

Banned
Being more serious, it's been too long since I've played Abyss to really rank them in order with any specificity. From my memory, it goes something like this:

Characters I generally liked
Guy
Natalia
Jade

Characters I generally disliked
Luke
Anise
Mieu

Indifferent
Tear
Ion

But again...it's been a long time.

Guy
Natalia
Tear
Ion
Jade
That couple for the sidequest where you run around the world for
Asch
Some other members of the god generals
Uh, I guess Mieu?
Luke
Anise

FSLink

Banned
Fun to use in battles tier:

Luke with Lorelei's Jewel glitch
Anise
Luke again
Guy
Natalia
Jade
Tear
Asch

Abyss is kinda meh nowadays, but it still has the best cameo battle. I hope Zesteria's will top it.

Levyne

Banned
GBA phantasia was the version I had to play. I didn't really dislike it but I really didn't have a comparative reference to what it should have been like.

GBA phantasia was the version I had to play. I didn't really dislike it but I really didn't have a comparative reference to what it should have been like.

I tried to like it on GBA, It was the first version I tried, but it was super slow. Got really impatient with the battles.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Does Symphonia have the most powerful fell arms in the series? It seems like they've been nerfed in Xillia. In Vesperia they were still great but not near-broken.

Does Symphonia have the most powerful fell arms in the series? It seems like they've been nerfed in Xillia. In Vesperia they were still great but not near-broken.

Xillia has by far the best simply because kills count for both characters in a link combo so everyone's weapons are beastly the moment you get them unlike in Symphonia where outside of the character you play (probably Lloyd) most characters weapons start off inferior to their ultimate weapons.

Xillia has by far the best simply because kills count for both characters in a link combo so everyone's weapons are beastly the moment you get them unlike in Symphonia where outside of the character you play (probably Lloyd) most characters weapons start off inferior to their ultimate weapons.

People play characters other than Lloyd? :p My bro's Genis put my Lloyd to shame at times.

Edit: For those Lloyd players, where you a T guy? or an S dude? I was an S dude, I actually did not know how to change from one to the other till my little brother showed me. Sonic Sword Rain all day every day.

Atlantis

People play characters other than Lloyd? :p My bro's Genis put my Lloyd to shame at times.

Lloyd is very rarely the best option for a controlled character. :p Makes me wonder what percentage of Tales players just stick with the main character for the entire game?

Probably very high, except in Abyss. Everyone seems to use Guy.

Lloyd is very rarely the best option for a controlled character. :p Makes me wonder what percentage of Tales players just stick with the main character for the entire game?

Probably very high, except in Abyss. Everyone seems to use Guy.

That's fascinating. All my buddies and I used Lloyd almost exclusively. We forgot you can use other characters, till someone decided to pick up another GC controller.

CorvoSol

I just
killed a mother and her young as part of a race war's ethnic cleansing.

My party is made up of horrible human beings.

yami4ct

Started playing Vesperia today. I'm not very far at all. I just got out of the initial castle, so these are most of these are the earliest of early impressions, but I really like it so far. Yuri is a really cool main character. He's a ton of fun. It's really nice to see a decent male lead, given the only leads I've seen so far are the boring Jude and the absolutely horrendous Asbel. While I don't like the art style quite as much as Xillia, it's a neat middle ground between the darker, serious style of that game and the super light and colorful Graces art.

On the negative end, the game definitely is showing its age a bit. The areas feel really small and confined. It's probably not as confined feeling as Graces, but its a far cry from how big a lot of Xillia locations feel. Also, I think most of the fonts in the game look dated and kind of ugly. So far, the battle system feels slow and disjointed, but I imagine that's mostly because it's so early on and it'll speed up once the game gets going.

One last thing, does the game really not have an AC equivalent? How do you expand your basic chains? That was one of the biggest surprises seeing the battle system for the first time.

One last thing, does the game really not have an AC equivalent? How do you expand your basic chains? That was one of the biggest surprises seeing the battle system for the first time.

I believe there are some skills that allow you to increase your basic combo and there are some skills that lets you go from an arcane arte to a base or whatever but that's about it.

Vesperia still has the old attacking formula of basic moves -> base arte -> arcane arte.

CorvoSol

Man that first boss kicked my butt. It would've been nice to know before hand not to waste all my items before jerkweed showed up. I mean, judging from the dude's HP count I'm guessing he isn't going to be a permanent party member for awhile anyway.

FSLink

Banned

Edit: For those Lloyd players, where you a T guy? or an S dude? I was an S dude, I actually did not know how to change from one to the other till my little brother showed me. Sonic Sword Rain all day every day.

Hybrid all the way. Though mostly T especially if playing on the PS2 version where you can't use that glitch to have artes from both sides.

I always try all the characters out in any Tales game, though I usually stick with the main character.

Well, I mean, a JRPG protag being an annoying, whiny bitch at the start is normal. It's how he behaves 30 hours in that I'll worry about.
You'll be fine then.
But luke is abnormal , even by jrpgs protagonist standards. You'll see why.

Tales of is a series that is best experienced on Home consoles !! all the best handheld gmaes aren't translated ( another reason why i learned the language )

Abyss character list best to worst

Anise
Jade
Ion
Guy
Tear
Luke
Mieu
Natalia

I like them all. This might seem funny , but even when some character did some pretty questionnable things , their reasons made sense so it didn't bother me that much

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's called Star Ocean and it's dead.

And good riddance!

I hate SO3 with a passion. Star Ocean may be like a cousin to Tales, but it's the cousin that smoked too much meth and snorted too much cocaine.

And good riddance!

I hate SO3 with a passion. Star Ocean may be like a cousin to Tales, but it's the cousin that smoked too much meth and snorted too much cocaine.

But what if they made another SO2?

I liked SO2 a lot.

:(

They were never gonna make another SO2

Top Bottom