• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

For #2, the enemy AI is really badly programmed. They will ALWAYS target the human controlled character, and this is more obviously seen on harder difficulties especially in Arenas. It also doesn't help that early on Free Run is slow.

I think open fields vs world map is just them trying to be "ambitious", but they haven't put the resources or time to make them look good. I personally don't mind the look of Xillia's fields, but they needed to put more content in them besides just random bags of crap. They should either spend more time on them in making them interesting, or just go back to the Vesperia styled world maps.

Ah okay. That's pretty lame. I suppose it will always be a good idea to have a second physical attacker in my party then.

I absolutely prefer a world map, but I do think that if they had more content in the fields and made them feel more detailed and polished they'd be better. Xenoblade did this remarkably well imo, and Zestiria looks like it might be heading in that direction.

FSLink

Banned
Ah okay. That's pretty lame. I suppose it will always be a good idea to have a second physical attacker in my party then.

I absolutely prefer a world map, but I do think that if they had more content in the fields and made them feel more detailed and polished they'd be better. Xenoblade did this remarkably well imo, and Zestiria looks like it might be heading in that direction.

Exactly, Xenoblade does it the right way. Zesteria hopefully will, I know some people are cautious though due to early screenshots/video, but they always show empty fields in early Tales trailers to show off the environments.

yami4ct

Bought Symphonia Chronicles for $10 on PSN because it was such a good deal how could I not? My Tales backlog has kind of gotten insane. I now have that, Vesperia and Xillia to hopefully complete before Xillia 2 makes it out. Graces F is the only one so far I've finished. Just have the final boss of XIllia left to do, but haven't gotten to it as I really want to clean up the side missions for some completionist impulse I have.

Labadal

It's funny that people actually have Tales backlogs now. I remember the Euro PS1/PS2 days.

I still have to beat, Graces f (Future arc).
Symphonia 1 & 2
Xillia
Abyss 3D

Waiting for Xillia 2, Hearts R and Zestiria.

Funny how things change.

It's funny that people actually have Tales backlogs now. I remember the Euro PS1/PS2 days.

I still have to beat, Graces f (Future arc).
Symphonia 1 & 2
Xillia
Abyss 3D

Waiting for Xillia 2, Hearts R and Zestiria.

Funny how things change.

No kidding.

I need to beat:

Destiny
Eternia
Xillia
Abyss

Can't complain about having too many good games to play though.

Soriku

I've already beaten Destiny, Eternia, Symphonia, Symphonia 2, Abyss, Graces F, and Xillia. I don't have a 360 (don't plan to get one either) so I can't play Vesperia, and I don't own a Vita (may get one down the line if the Vita TV comes out here and there are more games I'm interested in) so I'm not looking forward to Hearts R atm either.

So right now I'm just waiting on Xillia 2 and Zestiria.

Zhao_Yun

Of all the Mothership Titles available in English I still have to play Phantasia, Destiny, Legendia and Xillia (playing it currently). With Xillia 2, Zestiria and Hearts R on the horizon I can't complain about a lack of Tales games.

Labadal

My party just finished the audience with Gaius and I beat the two bosses after that. Story is getting ridicilous in a bad way. It involves Alvin. It happens over and over again. How stupid can Milla & Co be?

Done every missable sub event so far. Don't know if I should wait to fight the Devil Bests now, or wait a little while longer. Currently level 35. Might give the one in Bermia Gorge.a try.

Also made some minor progress in Abyss. Reached St. Binah. Tried to fight the Sword Dancer close to the forest but I can't beat it. I might grind for two levels, buy some gear and give it yet another try.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit, is Go Shiina doing the soundtrack for ToZ???

He was one of the major reasons I loved Legendia so much. If he's doing it, the game just turned into an instant buy from me

Ultratech

Of all the Mothership Titles available in English I still have to play Phantasia, Destiny, Legendia and Xillia (playing it currently). With Xillia 2, Zestiria and Hearts R on the horizon I can't complain about a lack of Tales games.

Yeah, I haven't beaten:

-Destiny 2
-Rebirth
-Legendia
-Symphonia 2
-Graces f (one of these days!)
-Xillia

The last two I'll rectify later, the former...I dunno.

This fight in Heliord with Boccos and Adecor is genuinely making me never want to touch Vesperia again.

The boss before wiped out all my healing items and I can't buy any until I beat this stupid part, and every time I lose I'm back to Caer Bocram, so I have to skip a dozen cutscenes.

Edit: Finally did it. I just did chip damage unti I ran out of TP and then ran around until I could get a few good shots in on one of them before running away again.

NateDog

I've had Symphonia HD sitting here since release but still haven't even opened the game, but I feel like I need a JRPG soon. Just finished Devil May Cry and am finally getting through my backlog of games and think I might start Eternia soon, had some sort of odd fascination with my PSP lately after playing FFIV.

So I have no idea what's going on anymore.

I just did the scene where Rita and Repede are tailing some Red Eyes in Dhangrest, and none of my translation guides have anything about what has happened afterward.

Instead of there being a scene with Ragou and Barbos, Raven just shows up and apparently told me to go to the other tavern. In that tavern he showed a door toward the back of a room that I went through, and now its dark but I got some aer torch or something.

Help?

Seda

So I have no idea what's going on anymore.

I just did the scene where Rita and Repede are tailing some Red Eyes in Dhangrest, and none of my translation guides have anything about what has happened afterward.

Instead of there being a scene with Ragou and Barbos, Raven just shows up and apparently told me to go to the other tavern. In that tavern he showed a door toward the back of a room that I went through, and now its dark but I got some aer torch or something.

Help?

Yep, the Dahngrest underground is a new little dungeon for the PS3 game. You have to go through that to see the scene with Ragou and Barbos. Make sure you use the two save points for that trophy if you are going for it.

Yep, the Dahngrest underground is a new little dungeon for the PS3 game. You have to go through that to see the scene with Ragou and Barbos. Make sure you use the two save points for that trophy if you are going for it.

Ahh alright. Thanks Seda!

I'll do some searching and see if I can find a more comprehensive ps3 guide.

Bladenic

So I need some help for Narikiri Dungeon X, hope someone here can help. I'm in the Morlia Shaft dungeon (Maxwell's dungeon), and to activate his boss fight the GAMEFAQS guide says I have to place the cores in this order:

Left - Fire
up - water
Right - earth
Down - wind

I do that and nothing happens. Guide says a voice is supposed to speak then when going back to Maxwell's chamber it'll start his boss fight. I'm totally lost, can anyone help? If anyone knows of another guide that would be great too. Thanks

So I need some help for Narikiri Dungeon X, hope someone here can help. I'm in the Morlia Shaft dungeon (Maxwell's dungeon), and to activate his boss fight the GAMEFAQS guide says I have to place the cores in this order:

Left - Fire
up - water
Right - earth
Down - wind

I do that and nothing happens. Guide says a voice is supposed to speak then when going back to Maxwell's chamber it'll start his boss fight. I'm totally lost, can anyone help? If anyone knows of another guide that would be great too. Thanks

I've never played NDX, but maybe try placing them in the order they were in ToP?

Left- Water
Up- Fire
Down- Earth
Right- Wind

NateDog

Can anyone tell me if it's worth my while going through Eternia? I'm 6 hours in and honestly am not really feeling it. The world and towns so far feel pretty dead and the cast are annoying the crap out of me. The mini-games are cool but they're not really enough for me at the moment.

Can anyone tell me if it's worth my while going through Eternia? I'm 6 hours in and honestly am not really feeling it. The world and towns so far feel pretty dead and the cast are annoying the crap out of me. The mini-games are cool but they're not really enough for me at the moment.

Yes game doesn't really begin until
you get to the second planet

Rhapsody

Banned

Don't worry, the game gets better once you get to a certain part.

Also I love the 2nd battle theme. Spoilers, I guess. But it's no surprise really lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFik-cXqLkc

mid83

Is Tales of Symphonia a good first Tales game? I picked up the HD collection from that big PSN sale a week or two ago. I've always wanted to try out the series but have been a little overwhelmed by all the different games out there.

Soriku

Is Tales of Symphonia a good first Tales game? I picked up the HD collection from that big PSN sale a week or two ago. I've always wanted to try out the series but have been a little overwhelmed by all the different games out there.

It's a little dated, but sure. Since you already own it, give it a try.

Seda

Use the d-pad to traverse the map.

LX_Theo

Banned
I've been enjoying Tales of Symphonia as my first Tales game. My biggest gripe is how annoying some of the dungeons can be. Overall, I am enjoying it quite a lot, though.

FSLink

Banned
Meh. That was back when Tales reliably had GOOD dungeon-ass dungeons.

Yeah, though some like Ymir Forest were a bit much, lol

It probably has the best dungeons in the series sadly. There's room for improvement but they basically got more linear as the games took more aspects from the Team Destiny games (one of their weaknesses).

Seda

Symphonia definitely has my favorite dungeons in the series, as I've always been a fan of puzzle-y elements. I like to have /something/ to figure out: how to get to a chest, or open the next door. And the dungeons rarely overstay their welcome, as they are numerous but never too long. The exceptions are Ymir Forest and Temple of Darkness that go a little overboard with their gimmick.

Later entries in the franchise seem to leave behind this structure and opt for linear dungeons or wide open fields that act more as battle coliseums than anything else, with nothing to figure out except to follow the path to the end - fighting along the way.

demidar

Symphonia definitely has my favorite dungeons in the series, as I've always been a fan of puzzle-y elements. I like have /something/ to figure out: how to get to a chest, or open the next door. And the dungeons rarely overstay their welcome, as they are numerous but never too long. The exceptions are Ymir Forest and Temple of Darkness that go a little overboard with their gimmick.

Later entries in the franchise seem to leave behind this structure and opt for linear dungeons or wide open fields that act more as battle coliseums than anything else, with nothing to figure out except to follow the path to the end - fighting along the way.

Yep, if dungeons only feature enemies to fight, they feel just like regular fields and it makes the game feel same-y. Dungeons, even if they have crappy puzzles, is enough of a change of pace to break up the tedium of jumping from one fight to another (regardless of how good the combat is).

Seda

Yep, if dungeons only feature enemies to fight, they feel just like regular fields and it makes the game feel same-y. Dungeons, even if they have crappy puzzles, is enough of a change of pace to break up the tedium of jumping from one fight to another (regardless of how good the combat is).

Basically the sorcerer's ring puzzles are typically unobtrusive enough to not be disrupting, simple enough to not be frustrating, short enough to not be tedious, but enough of a diversion to be effective in pacing the progression through dungeons. It's the ones that excessively prolong the pacing that it gets to be a little much, like the examples I mentioned.

demidar

Basically the sorcerer's ring puzzles are typically unobtrusive enough to not be disrupting, simple enough to not be frustrating, short enough to not be tedious, but enough of a diversion to be effective in pacing the progression through dungeons. It's the ones that excessively prolong the pacing that it gets to be a little much, like the examples I mentioned.

Agreed. Maybe put some of the harder puzzles in post-game/optional dungeons. I enjoyed those large puzzle path rooms in the desert dungeon in Graces f.

Vylash

I dunno, some of the dungeons in Graces had me pulling my hair out, which game has the best ones?

Proven

Symphonia and Graces both felt like dungeons. Areas with tough enemies chasing you down while you had to figure out some puzzle there. Symphonia had the more consistent quality while Graces had spikes and gaps in difficulty between dungeons. Abyss is the next closest but the dungeons never felt as difficult enemy-wise. Vesperia feels like it's about on the same level as Abyss. Xillia is practically a cake walk once you figure out the party combination that manhandles the dungeon's enemies.

Also note, I played most of these games on Hard mode.

Can someone tell me how close I am to the end of Tales to the Abbys?

I'm just
in the Totoroo valley sephiroth tree control center thing so I can use the measuring device to measure the vibrations of it or something.

Cheers, surprisingly enjoying the game quite a bit, I bought and played some PSP tales game a long time ago and it was hot garbage and I'd basically written off the franchise forever until I picked this up on sale (3DS). I don't remember what PSP game it was, but it did have Tear and Luke in it.

NateDog

Finished Eternia today, was all right. Got better towards the end but I think the general lack of information on the map and going back and forth made it feel like a trudge half the time, not to mention the rate of random encounters. It does have a few cool extras like mini-games and quizzes (although the quiz questions and answers all being in the exact same order every time and being endlessly replayable don't really make it feel that fun or unique). I didn't realise I had to replay half the game again just to play the extra dungeon, I thought if I re-loaded my end save it would (like normal) put me back before the final dungeon but instead I have to replay a large section of the game to get one extra dungeon, doubt I'll be doing that. I did actually enjoy parts of the game but I felt it was quite weak overall. Plus I hate most of the characters with a vengeance.

Loved this track though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCslBMzgYXs

There's a strong chance we could get 3 Tales titles in the next 12 months!

PS3
Tales of Xillia 2 - August 2014
Tales of Zesteria - 2015 (assuming it was a worldwide announcement and not a launch)

Vita
Tales of Hearts R - Q4 14

Am I missing anything? Has this ever happened before? I am stoked!

NateDog

I doubt Zestiria will be out within 12 months, probably will be around 12 months after we get Xillia 2 though since they seem to favour the summer releases here.

Top Bottom