• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

BY2K

Membero Americo
"Lloyd, Colette, and the rest of the characters."

Ouch. Dat snub. He even called Tenebrae "the cat character." As a proud centurion, he would resent that just as much as being called a "dog" by Colette.

Chances are whoever did the unboxing hasn't played Dawn of the New World.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Chances are whoever did the unboxing hasn't played Dawn of the New World.

Not a lot of people in the world did.
KuGsj.gif

frogg609

I'm currently playing through Tales of Xillia (slowly, as I'm also playing Bravely Default). After I finish Xillia, should I play Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesperia (never played Symphonia so I have no idea).

Or does it not really matter, and I can just flip a coin?

Vazra

I'm currently playing through Tales of Xillia (slowly, as I'm also playing Bravely Default). After I finish Xillia, should I play Tales of Symphonia or Tales of Vesperia (never played Symphonia so I have no idea).

Doesn't matter both are good games.

kiaaa

I'm at the final boss of Vesperia and I've found it to be significantly better than Symphonia. It's more mature, the combat is better, and it doesn't bring up the power of friendship every 5 minutes.

FSLink

Banned

If you plan to eventually play both, play Symphonia first. If you had to choose just one, Vesperia.

i sold my GC copy for this, and i get lower frame rates and no outline on character details?
if it wasn't for CE, i'd rather turn back the time to prevent selling the game T_T

hope the 30fps wont affect the fight that much cause the gameplay here is 3d in 2d style, not like xillia

jb1234

Quick question for those who bothered with it: I'm buying Chronicles for Symphonia, not DotNW. Honestly, I could stand to not have more games to play if they're really as mediocre as I've heard DotNW is. But what exactly makes this game so terrible? The only thing I've really heard is that Emil is annoying and whiny, but otherwise I haven't a clue.

It's mindnumbingly mediocre, in all aspects. Characters are irritating, story is terrible, combat isn't great, music is mostly rehash from Symphonia. I made it fifteen hours before giving up.

iuuk

Does anyone know how limited the EU LE is? I pre-ordered mine two weeks ago on Amazon.fr, then they sold out, a Dutch store got it for less, so I pre-ordered again, but it sold out in a couple of days (again). Because of how fast this seems to be selling out I'm doubting whether or not to keep my Amazon pre-order, I don't want to cancel only to find out the other store didn't get anything.

I also really don't like how us Europeans are getting the vastly inferiour LE again. Differences are getting bigger too, Ni no Kuni and Xillia were just lacking a hardcover (and a coin), this one is missing a steelbook, two discs, artbook and a hardcover. I should be glad bamco is finally releasing their shit here, but instead I'm still feeling ignored :(.
Still buying it though, because I'm an idiot.

Cheska

Hurray for finally getting a date for my collectors edition! :D Though it sucks that it doesn't appear to be release date delivery like the standard.

Vazra

i sold my GC copy for this, and i get lower frame rates and no outline on character details?
if it wasn't for CE, i'd rather turn back the time to prevent selling the game T_T

hope the 30fps wont affect the fight that much cause the gameplay here is 3d in 2d style, not like xillia

Didnt affect the fun in Abyss 3DS so it might be fine tbh.

It's mediocre to okay depending on your standards. Emil and Marta aren't great protagonists, the ToS1 cast shows up in a limited form, and the story isn't as good as ToS1. Gameplay is decent but stuff like the monster system could have been better executed, which they do in a later Tales game. People also dislike the lack of a world map.

Just remember it's basically a spinoff (they only gave it slightly more budget when they realized the Wii was selling) that acts like an extended epilogue and not really a main title otherwise you'll be heavily disappointed.

It's mindnumbingly mediocre, in all aspects. Characters are irritating, story is terrible, combat isn't great, music is mostly rehash from Symphonia. I made it fifteen hours before giving up.

Well, I'm just going to skip it as originally planned. Hopefully I can finish Vesperia before I get Symphonia, but I'm not getting my hopes up; the Let's Play I was using for translation purposes is currently inaccessible but I'm checking every day to see if I can get to it.

It probably wouldn't matter too much, unless you have a problem going backwards to things that are more basic or graphically inferior. Then I would recommend Symphonia before Vesperia. Otherwise, there's no wrong order to play them in.

Funnily enough, Vesperia looks better than Xillia, so I guess keep that in mind if you do have a problem with that kind of stuff.

FSLink

Banned
Funnily enough, Vesperia looks better than Xillia, so I guess keep that in mind if you do have a problem with that kind of stuff.

I wish they could just stick with the cel-shading, it ages so much better. Xillia already looked a bit outdated by the time it came out in Japan, and even moreso by the time it was localized. The oil painting look is a good idea but I don't think they have the resources to do it justice. I do like the town designs in Xillia however...

Tales of Symphonia is fantastic and one of the Tales of games I love replaying but man, it's hard to justify this one with 30fps battles. The PS2 port was horrible and I skipped Abyss 3DS for the same reason. I dunno, I feel like this is a missed opportunity - it's nice to have the PS2 content in English but performance should be up to GC standards. Also the game looks kinda weird without the outlines.

Vesperia has better visuals, far better main character and battle system but everything else about Symphonia is superior imo.

Seda

Tales of Symphonia is fantastic and one of the Tales of games I love replaying but man, it's hard to justify this one with 30fps battles. The PS2 port was horrible and I skipped Abyss 3DS for the same reason. I dunno, I feel like this is a missed opportunity - it's nice to have the PS2 content in English but performance should be up to GC standards. Also the game looks kinda weird without the outlines.

Vesperia has better visuals, far better main character and battle system but everything else about Symphonia is superior imo.

Symphonia has better dungeons and music over Vesperia - how I see it.

jimi_dini

this one is missing a steelbook, two discs, artbook and a hardcover.

2 discs missing? Nope.
US gets 4 actual Audio-CDs with the uncompressed soundtrack (at least it seems to be that way, unless Namco filled 4 discs with MP3s lol)
EU gets 2 MP3-compressed PC-CDs

I guess it's probably the same amount of tracks. But EU gets compressed crap.

Krafter

I'm definitely getting this. Been wanting to jump into the series (Xillia was my first purchase), so the collection is great timing for me.

Eusis

Damn Amazon, I have 1 day shipping and they just pushed my preorder CE back from the 25th to the 26th. I was ready for release day. =[
Change the shipping speed?

Actually, yeah, change it to 2nd day and see what that comes out to, then back to 1st day if it isn't the 25th. Win-win if 2nd day makes it the 25th though as it usually does for release date delivery eligible products.

Tried to cancel my Club Namco order yesterday. But they shipped it anyway. Guess I'll cancel my Amazon order instead. For some reason I thought this was coming out in April. Totally slipped my mind.

Eusis

Tried to cancel my Club Namco order yesterday. But they shipped it anyway. Guess I'll cancel my Amazon order instead. For some reason I thought this was coming out in April. Totally slipped my mind.
That's the good thing with Amazon, they tend to wait until the last minute and still manage to get your game there in time. But they kind of needed advance shipping on the online store after Ni No Kuni Wizard Edition.

Het_Nkik

I was checking my bank statement online and noticed a large sum withdrawn from GameStop and started freaking out. Turns out I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of this back in October and completely forgot about it.

Huh.

Datschge

So Bamco is trying to turn Tales of series into the JRPG equivalent of Call of Duty through yearly releases. I don't know how to feel about that.

They are actually trying (and failing due to increasing development times) that since 2002 with Tales of Destiny 2 so it actually predates CoD. It just that the West never got the better part of the series (the superior 2D entries) that you may not be aware of that.

That unboxing video just reinforced my disdain towards Namco for shafting its EU fans out of the steelbook, artbook and four disc soundtrack. I really don't know why we don't get those included in our CE. Symphonia is one of my favourite games from the GameCube and the 30FPS thing was bad enough but this is just adding insult to injury.

BY2K

Membero Americo
They are actually trying (and failing due to increasing development times) that since 2002 with Tales of Destiny 2 so it actually predates CoD. It just that the West never got the better part of the series (the superior 2D entries) that you may not be aware of that.

At least it's not 75% copy/paste for every game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What are the new stuff in the HD version of ToS compared to the GC version?

FSLink

Banned
Another US CE unboxing! This time by Namco themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnNTR1lczF4&feature=youtu.be

Holy hell, look at dat manual. :) So good. Can't even remember the last game I bought that had one of these.

The CE also gets reversible cover art! Nice.

Reversible covert art is sweet. ToS is the PS2 art, but where's the DotNW one from?

Can anybody get the track listing from the soundtrack? They show it for a second.

Seda

God, I literally cringed after the first line.

Did they recast Lloyd? I don't remember him sounding like an 8-year-old.

Lol did Lloyd have another voice in this trailer? :D

The "I won't let you get away with anything" line is definitely Scott Menville - and it's from the original game - only the line is spliced from early in the game at the Martel temple, not from that end-game anime cutscene it was placed over. The trailer lines "Where is the chosen" "There she is" and "Your life is mine" are all also spliced from that same scene.

Lloyd was recast in ToS2 though.

FSLink

Banned
Different voice actors played him from original to sequel. I really wish they could have got the old cast back to do the skits, but I guess it was impossible.

Yeah especially since some got to go back and rerecord new lines for the added artes. Wish they could have got the rest of the cast and voiced the skits. I guess I'll just play them with JPN voices, plus it'd be consistent since the Japanese cast stayed the same with both games.

Really hoping Amazon doesn't do another Bravely Default with their shipping for the CE.

Ugh. :/ I hope not.

I sold my Gamecube copy because I knew this was coming out and the Gamecube version didn't support progressive scan.

So while I can probably deal with 30 FPS, it is still a downgrade and how fuckin pathetic is that. The PS3 can't run a ported Gamecube game or was Namco so lazy that they just ported the inferior PS2 version. I know the answer.

What I want to know is, have there been any graphical improvements that will make this game look better on an HDTV than the Gamecube version would look on the same TV with component cables?

Top Bottom