• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

I'm assuming this version has everything and more with nothing removed (except English audio skits, but Japanese audio is there to compensate for the lack of). In NTSC-U/PAL GC versions, they removed
the Rename Gem
descriptions for figurines
and
able to rename tactics (this one was removed from PAL version while it was in NTSC-U version, though)
. I remember PAL version having different font which resulted bunch of [] (boxes) here and there in the script.

Anyway, even if this version is 30 FPS, then it's actually a small improvement over GC's PAL version which was 50Hz only.

From a speedrun perspective. I wonder if they fixed any glitches that allows to skip
Sylvarant Base
and
Ymir Forest

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
What are these outdated mechanics? I played the shit out of the Gamecube version but that was years ago.

The combat hasnt aged well and its pretty simplistic you can tell is the skeleton of Abyss, Vesperia and Xillia. It doesnt has the depth, Free Run and subsystems the other games came with so while it might be fun its pretty bare bones.

Still the game has better dungeon design than Vesperia, Abyss and Xillia IMO and that makes up for some of the issues it might have. Also the OST>>>> the others.

Vashzaron

What exactly is this Swiss Widescreen Hack? I only know of the Widescreen Hack on Dolphin's graphics settings.

Should easily find info about it via google, it basically implements it in a different ("better") way that makes the GC realise it's rendering in a widescreen resolution ...from my understanding.

In the case of Symphonia this fixes NPCs disappearing when they would go out of the normal 4:3 view range.

The combat hasnt aged well and its pretty simplistic you can tell is the skeleton of Abyss, Vesperia and Xillia. It doesnt has the depth, Free Run and subsystems the other games came with so while it might be fun its pretty bare bones.

Still the game has better dungeon design than Vesperia, Abyss and Xillia IMO and that makes up for some of the issues it might have. Also the OST>>>> the others.

As someone who has had the GC version and barely touched it, I'm going into it with a very specific set of expectations. As a Tales fan, I'll get sheer enjoyment out of playing this updated version of an old Tales game.

Vazra

Yep. It's definitely the game's strength relative to the rest of the series in my eyes.

I wonder how they could mess the puzzles on later games when the ones in Symphonia were well done. Graces F was atrocious and Xillia I can't remember a single puzzle if there was ever any and I finished Xillia recently which speaks volumes.

Oh I forgot to mention Graces F on the dungeon area. Graces F has probably the worst dungeons in Tales of Series.

ohlawd

I dislike most of the dungeons. Almost all the temples, Desian bases, Ymir Forest, Latheon Gorge, the sewers...

So terrible. Would have killed for a super linear version ala FFXIII.

Vazra

I dislike most of the dungeons. Almost all the temples, Desian bases, Ymir Forest, Latheon Gorge, the sewers...

So terrible. Would have killed for a super linear version ala FFXIII.

Good FFXIII exists for you. Play that instead.

anyone that ordered through amazon, seems they got a EDD for the CE. make sure you check your date. and change shipping speed to show the 25th if it says anything other than that. hope that helps.

Quick question for those who bothered with it: I'm buying Chronicles for Symphonia, not DotNW. Honestly, I could stand to not have more games to play if they're really as mediocre as I've heard DotNW is. But what exactly makes this game so terrible? The only thing I've really heard is that Emil is annoying and whiny, but otherwise I haven't a clue.

FSLink

Banned
Quick question for those who bothered with it: I'm buying Chronicles for Symphonia, not DotNW. Honestly, I could stand to not have more games to play if they're really as mediocre as I've heard DotNW is. But what exactly makes this game so terrible? The only thing I've really heard is that Emil is annoying and whiny, but otherwise I haven't a clue.
It's mediocre to okay depending on your standards. Emil and Marta aren't great protagonists, the ToS1 cast shows up in a limited form, and the story isn't as good as ToS1. Gameplay is decent but stuff like the monster system could have been better executed, which they do in a later Tales game. People also dislike the lack of a world map.

Just remember it's basically a spinoff (they only gave it slightly more budget when they realized the Wii was selling) that acts like an extended epilogue and not really a main title otherwise you'll be heavily disappointed.

Shadownet

Banned
It's a 3d arena but you can only move towards or away from a targeted enemy. Effectively, no free run.

There is free run if you hold down left trigger I think. But you can't attack while in free run.

The moment you lift up the button. You'll be back in 2D.

Shadownet

Banned
Funny how much fans wanted this, and how unlikely some will buy it now due to lack of effort on Bamco's part.

30 FPS doesn't bother me, it's certainly not unplayable as most make it out to be, I can even deal with the shifty textures, but man, that vanilla battle system. Not sure if want.

That doesn't really make any sense.

You said how much fans wanted this. And then diss the vanilla battle system.

If you're a fan who wanted an HD port of this game. Then you had to know from the start that the battle system was going to stay the same mostly if not completely.

In other word, you know what you were going to walk into when it came to the battle system.

FSLink

Banned
There is free run if you hold down left trigger I think. But you can't attack while in free run.

The moment you lift up the button. You'll be back in 2D.
Not introduced in the series until Abyss. Also holy... use the edit button instead of reply.

Persona7

Banned
I wonder if they had to downgrade any assets for the PS3 version of Vesperia. It has more content but it certainly looks worse. Hopefully it is just a resolution thing.

30fps or not ive never played it before and im not buying a system just to play it either
dolphin is out of the question as well cause laptop cant handle it

I wonder if they had to downgrade any assets for the PS3 version of Vesperia. It has more content but it certainly looks worse. Hopefully it is just a resolution thing.

I think it's just the new 1280x576 resolution. Better the resolution than the framerate. Vesperia has some very pretty animation.

Namco USA should catch up by giving us Tales of Vesperia PS3 >_>

It's not a quick-and-easy catch up. One of the Japanese voice actors said the PS3 version's script is 3/4 the size of the 360 version's script. That's a lot of voicework (and a lot of money to dub it). Then they'd have to market it again. Hardcore Tales fans would eat it up, but the overseas fanbase is relatively small. It'd be a tough sell for non-fans. They'd almost be better off localizing something entirely new.

Plus, them skipping over it for 6 other games is pretty telling of their interest in it at this point, putting aside the fact that they denied it ever happening.

30fps or not ive never played it before and im not buying a system just to play it either
dolphin is out of the question as well cause laptop cant handle it

30FPS Symphonia is still a great game. Just not the ideal way to experience it.

PKrockin

Actually the combat is pretty much as complex as Abyss. It's with Vesperia/Graces that they started layering on more mechanics.

NEO0MJ

Yep. It's definitely the game's strength relative to the rest of the series in my eyes.

Game has some of the finest boss music in any game.

So IGN did their unboxing of the US CE. Very underwhelming honestly. The art book looks like a pamphlet. The soundtrack and steelbook just isn't worth $60 to me (though I know others will feel differently).

IGN Collector's Edition unboxing

WTF at that art book, I thought it was gonna be the fat book at first. Really considering cancelling my CE.

chrono01

So IGN did their unboxing of the US CE. Very underwhelming honestly. The art book looks like a pamphlet. The soundtrack and steelbook just isn't worth $60 to me (though I know others will feel differently).

That art book is insanely disappointing [it looks like one of those promotional pamphlets people hand out to advertise a game], but everything else looks great. I'm most impressed that with soundtrack [100+ songs!?] being enclosed/sealed in its own jewel case. Of course the steelbook and outer box looks incredible, as well, given that it's decorated with classic Tales of... artwork. Then there's the five chibi figures, in addition to the other extras.

I'll definitely be keeping my Collector's Edition pre-order.

FSLink

Banned
And since you're counting DotNW, the first sequel in the series was Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon for Gameboy Color. It was turn based. :eek:
It later got an incredible remake on PSP.

RPGCrazied

Speak for yourself, that looks very awesome. Can't wait to get mine. I don't mind the size of the artbook, when they first annouced the CE, there was no artbook listed. I have a better one anyway from the gamecube preorder. Its like 90 pages. Awesome the novel is hardback, and the soundtrack actually has a jewel case! So hyped.

Vazra

Why they must fuck up the damn Artbook? Jesus. Everything else looks fine but that screems lazy like the port.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Speak for yourself, that looks very awesome. Can't wait to get mine. I don't mind the size of the artbook, when they first annouced the CE, there was no artbook listed. I have a better one anyway from the gamecube preorder. Its like 90 pages. Awesome the novel is hardback, and the soundtrack actually has a jewel case! So hyped.
He is speaking for himself...

Cancelled my CE today

realized that most of my love for this is probably nostalgia based and having finished Xillia recently I know theres a lot of changes its made

plus a lot of games I already have + more games shortly after

i guess amazon will restock the CE once its released so be on the look out for it if thats how it works

I might just pick up the regular edition if it turns out my fears were unfounded but 2.5 times the price is just too much to ask when im not 100% feeling it

Persona7

Banned
Cancelled my CE today

realized that most of my love for this is probably nostalgia based and having finished Xillia recently I know theres a lot of changes its made

plus a lot of games I already have + more games shortly after

i guess amazon will restock the CE once its released so be on the look out for it if thats how it works

I might just pick up the regular edition if it turns out my fears were unfounded but 2.5 times the price is just too much to ask when im not 100% feeling it

The CE is limited to 18,000 copies. It probably won't go on sale again. Maybe one more time if they have an excess but it doesn't seem likely. I can't remember the limit on the Xillia CE but they are reselling for $170 on ebay.

jimi_dini

Why they must fuck up the damn Artbook? Jesus. Everything else looks fine but that screems lazy like the port.

yeah, this. wtf.

It's as if they went "well, we screwed EU completely over, so we should screw US a bit over as well, we already announced the 4 disc soundtrack and the novel and the steelbook, we can't remove those. so what do we do, what do we do. I got it, we mentioned an artbook. Let's make that tiny and just a few pages"

So glad that I changed from EU CE to US CE. Those 4 tiny thingies, the novel and 2 MP3 discs for 80EUR? ha, screw you Namco.

amazon, please don't break this. Please.

RPGCrazied

Also the IGN guy says it comes with a pretty meaty instruction manual. Don't see that everyday! I wonder if its in color too.

Top Bottom