• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

RPGCrazied

I sold my Gamecube copy because I knew this was coming out and the Gamecube version didn't support progressive scan.

So while I can probably deal with 30 FPS, it is still a downgrade and how fuckin pathetic is that. The PS3 can't run a ported Gamecube game or was Namco so lazy that they just ported the inferior PS2 version. I know the answer.

What I want to know is, have there been any graphical improvements that will make this game look better on an HDTV than the Gamecube version would look on the same TV with component cables?

The fact it runs 720p its already better than the gamecube version, aside for the framerate, not to mention it runs in widescreen. Sure some of the textures could have been redrawn, but it should look vastly better on an HD TV than the gamecube version, component cables or not.

The fact it runs 720p its already better than the gamecube version, aside for the framerate, not to mention it runs in widescreen. Sure some of the textures could have been redrawn, but it should look vastly better on an HD TV than the gamecube version, component cables or not.

Well, blowing up the Gamecube/PS2 textures wouldn't result in a better looking game would it?

Xena

For anyone who has played this before, how does the storyline compare with Abyss, Xillia and Graces f? (I already got the impression it's not as good as Vesperia from others posts here)

Seda

For anyone who has played this before, how does the storyline compare with Abyss, Xillia and Graces f? (I already got the impression it's not as good as Vesperia from others posts here)

It's more cohesive than Vesperia's I think, but more generic/basic and a little stretched out. It doesn't have overly stupid plot twists like Abyss (although it does have plot twists), and it is better than Graces in probably every regard.

It's serviceable.

So while I can probably deal with 30 FPS, it is still a downgrade and how fuckin pathetic is that. The PS3 can't run a ported Gamecube game or was Namco so lazy that they just ported the inferior PS2 version. I know the answer.

The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 and I believe it was equal to the Xbox. GC is the last console that Nintendo went all out on from a technical standpoint.

I dunno if that is possible considering the box is quite... like a box. Would not be able to fit that into a bubble mailer.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon tries to stuff it into a bubble mailer, then when the envelope tears apart, just shrug it off and tape the remains to the sides of the box and ship it out.

The GameCube was more powerful than the PS2 and I believe it was equal to the Xbox. GC is the last console that Nintendo went all out on from a technical standpoint.

The Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2 but not the Xbox. I believe the Gamecube had a 485 Mhz CPU and the Xbox had a 700 Mhz CPU. I think the Xbox had a better GPU as well but I am not certain.

FSLink

Banned
I'm not a fan of the PAL font they're using for the HD collection either, and although I liked the original NA font it only looked right on a smaller resolution.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon tries to stuff it into a bubble mailer, then when the envelope tears apart, just shrug it off and tape the remains to the sides of the box and ship it out.

And then "oh well looks like the item's out of stock, here's some credit". Which is pretty awesome, but they could improve their shipping to make sure collector/limited edition stuff could at least get better packaging. :/ I've received HDMI cables that was better packaged from them.

And then "oh well looks like the item's out of stock, here's some credit". Which is pretty awesome, but they could improve their shipping to make sure collector/limited edition stuff could at least get better packaging. :/ I've received HDMI cables that was better packaged from them.

In all seriousness, I've only ordered one collector's edition from them in the past, and it was a larger box. It arrived in a box loaded up with air packets, so it was in pretty pristine condition. I've been hearing about the experiences that others have been having lately, especially with the Bravely Default collector's edition, though, and I think that it's a big strange that they've been doing so poorly in this department. They are usually pretty good on service, but oh well, I guess things change.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
considered giving up my CE at amazon... but it looks like it is actually fairly limited.

Hopefully it comes in better shape than my Bravely Default CE (friggin bubble mailer..... really amazon?!?!?! I mean not hideous... but a bubble mailer for a boxed product WILL end up with some damage, in this case two knicks. assholes.)

Well, blowing up the Gamecube/PS2 textures wouldn't result in a better looking game would it?

blowing up? No. Better filtering. Probably a tiny bit.

FSLink

Banned
In all seriousness, I've only ordered one collector's edition from them in the past, and it was a larger box. It arrived in a box loaded up with air packets, so it was in pretty pristine condition. I've been hearing about the experiences that others have been having lately, especially with the Bravely Default collector's edition, though, and I think that it's a big strange that they've been doing so poorly in this department. They are usually pretty good on service, but oh well, I guess things change.

Yeah I've ordered many CE's/LE's from them and every once in awhile they somehow ship in a bubble mailer instead.

I dunno if that is possible considering the box is quite... like a box. Would not be able to fit that into a bubble mailer.

Amazon was great with my Tales of Xilla and Bravely Default CE. They were both shipped in oversized boxes with lots of bubble wrap.. However my normal games are always in bubble envelopes.

R0ckman

Did they get everyone back to do the new artes who needed to come back? Or did they have to keep some mute/add a generic battle phrase/cry for some?

Argh, so torn on whether or not to get this is with how much time I have to play games.

I started with Graces F, loved it. Played Xillia, enjoyed it. Never played these games in the past. So on paper it should be a no-brainer. Maybe I'll wait and see how the trophy guides and stuff pan out.

Yes, my backlog is so big at the moment trophies can impact what I choose to buy.

How bad does 30fps make combat in this? I mean was Xillia 60fps? I loved Vesperia and Xillia, and never checked this it out when I had my Gamecube.

Rocky

Banned
I cancelled my Amazon CE as Club Namco shipped the CE before I could cancel it instead. So keep yours eyes on the Amazon page.

Hmm, I have two CEs ordered myself. One at Amazon and one at Namco's store. Haven't gotten any shipment notification from either. I'm also still trying to decide if I want to keep both or cancel one of them.

FSLink

Banned
Hmm, I have two CEs ordered myself. One at Amazon and one at Namco's store. Haven't gotten any shipment notification from either. I'm also still trying to decide if I want to keep both or cancel one of them.

Good luck cancelling the one at the Namco store, lol. D:

ohlawd

Keep both. Sell the other when it gets more expensive.

Good luck cancelling the one at the Namco store, lol. D:

Seriously. I sent my cancelation request on Wednesday. Then on Thursday CN/DR sent me an email saying they processed the cancelation and there shouldn't be an issue unless the item already shipped. WTF, they can't track orders to see what is shipped and what has not?! Finally, two hours later on Thursday, I get the shipping notice with UPS tracking number.

So yeah, don't order from a Digital River store unless you fully intend to have the order fulfilled. And don't try to cancel one of their orders six days until it's official release date.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
How bad does 30fps make combat in this? I mean was Xillia 60fps? I loved Vesperia and Xillia, and never checked this it out when I had my Gamecube.

ummm.. wut? 30fps locked is still 100% playable. It's disappointing yes, but it doesn't magically make the gameplay bad.

Are those official numbers? 10k is quite a low number, I'm glad I managed to procure one (some, just in case they cancel the other) in that case.

See: EU Namco site

The TALES OF SYMPHONIA CHRONICLES Collector’s Edition will be limited to 10,000 copies across Europe and Australasia.

and Siliconera for the US CE.

Bandai Namco Games also has a collector’s edition, which has been increased from 15,000 units to 18,000 units.

jimi_dini

I can't help but feel that the CEs, both the EU and the US ones, are terribly overpriced for what they're offering.

US CE, not really.

The Tales Of Symphonia soundtrack is OOP in Japan and was around 3800 Yen (==$37) and it seems that the US CE contains exactly those discs.

I would be happy, if more games included the full soundtrack, because that will actually save me money.
Spent $40 on the Xenoblade OST, $52 on Tales Of Graces OST, $22+$22+$28=$72 on NieR OST, $27+$42=$69 on Fragile Dreams OST

Hoping the same from Gamestop.com. Last package though was really good. Had bunches of those air floaties in the box so nothing would move. I'm hoping they do that again.

I know GameStop went overboard (in a good way) when my Zelda WW statue version was shipped by them. One of the few times there wasn't a issue with CE's (well, that and Ni no Kuni's was shipped right). Even my LE Danganronpa had a small issue due to the form-fitting packaging that was used.

ummm.. wut? 30fps locked is still 100% playable. It's disappointing yes, but it doesn't magically make the gameplay bad.

That's what I figured since most games are 30fps anyway. It just seems that everyone is making it sound like its a deal breaker since the Gamecube version was 60fps.

US CE, not really.

The Tales Of Symphonia soundtrack is OOP in Japan and was around 3800 Yen (==$37) and it seems that the US CE contains exactly those discs.

Ok, but that artbook is a joke. Even the artbook in the European Tales of Xillia CE was way better, and that says a lot. :)

Importing the US CE would cost €72 (the $99) + shipping + at least €15 VAT (unless you succeed in 'evading' the latter), so probably around €95-€100.

So that would still be over €65 for everything but the OST. I guess if you value the chibi figurines a lot too...

Anyway, I got in on the £39.99 Amazon UK thing myself. Didn't even find that that great a deal.

I would be happy, if more games included the full soundtrack, because that will actually save me money.
Spent $40 on the Xenoblade OST, $52 on Tales Of Graces OST, $22+$22+$28=$72 on NieR OST, $27+$42=$69 on Fragile Dreams OST

With Japanese games that is always going to be a problem. There are lots of intellectual rights issues around game soundtracks over there it seems. So I guess that's why publishers might avoid getting the OSTs in, or add some of that half hearted stuff in like the OST samplers and stuff.

Bladenic

Tried to cancel my Namco store CE order, it shipped today lol. Might look into sending it back for refund, otherwise yay I guess. Kind of not that upset, the extras are cool and I'm aching for a ToS replay. One hundred dollars though, my card weeps.

Saiyan-Rox

just sent a cancellation request for my CE. the things they changed in our version is just too much of a piss take and I can get the game itself on PSN for 25 so I think i'll be doing that instead....as long as i can cancel of course

I'm glad I managed to pre-order the US CE. While I agree the artbook is underwhelming, I'm not too bothered by it because the novel is still there and is hardcover as promised. Add up the awesome steelbook and manual, I'm good.

They should have made the artbook and novel into a single hardcover book but I'm guessing they probably re-used assets of the japanese lalabit market edition, minimizing costs.

jimi_dini

Ok, but that artbook is a joke. Even the artbook in the European Tales of Xillia CE was way better, and that says a lot. :)

Yes, that's the only fault of the US CE.

Importing the US CE would cost €72 (the $99) + shipping + at least €15 VAT (unless you succeed in 'evading' the latter), so probably around €95-€100.

My order is 97EUR.
BUT you have to consider - folks in US don't pay $33 extra b/c no VAT and no international shipping.

So that would still be over €65 for everything but the OST. I guess if you value the chibi figurines a lot too...

It's 72EUR/$100 total. You can't even use the original OST price ($37) because the OST is OOP. You can't get it anymore/pay insane prices on ebay. Even if you could still get it for $37, you would still have to pay for shipping. The game(s) is 40EUR/40$. Which is again a rip-off for Europe. Even if you use the original OST price, there are $23 left. $23 left for some nice figurines, the steelbook, the novel and the packaging? I can't complain.

The European CE is obviously overpriced though :p

I paid 100EUR for the (shitty) Metal Gear Solid 4 LE. Compared to that it's totally fine.

There are lots of intellectual rights issues around game soundtracks over there it seems. So I guess that's why publishers might avoid getting the OSTs in, or add some of that half hearted stuff in like the OST samplers and stuff.

I rather think they are being cheap and know that fans will import the soundtrack from Japan. Fragile Dreams for example had a sampler included as preorder bonus, but only for US. And that one included the 2 songs by Teshima Aoi, so it can't be that complicated. btw. they didn't include those 2 songs on the official 2-disc OST. Instead fans had either buy the single, which was OOP pretty fast - or wait for her collection album to get released ("Collection Blue").

BUT you have to consider - folks in US don't pay $33 extra b/c no VAT and no international shipping.

Yeah, okay, but I looked to it from the perspective of a European importing of course. Would Namco release the same CE in Europe as the US got, they would likely charge €99 or more for it, which would make it overpriced again for us.

Following your reasoning, for Americans it may not be as bad a deal provided you really want that soundtrack or maybe the figurines.

But all in all, I'm not impressed with these CEs. Maybe I'm still a bit sour over the previous Tales CEs I got...

I rather think they are being cheap and know that fans will import the soundtrack from Japan. Fragile Dreams for example had a sampler included as preorder bonus, but only for US. And that one included the 2 songs by Teshima Aoi, so it can't be that complicated. btw. they didn't include those 2 songs on the official 2-disc OST. Instead fans had either buy the single, which was OOP pretty fast - or wait for her collection album to get released ("Collection Blue").

Them being cheap is plausible too, but from what I've seen with the Class of Heroes 2 release last year, the rights seem to be a complicated matter in Japan.

Not for who its primarily being sold too, and it looks to be actually limited.

They are limited, but 10,000 and 18,000 are fairly large numbers still. Anyway, better this way than the stunt Namco pulled with Ni no Kuni's Wizard's Edition in the US.

jimi_dini

Yeah, okay, but I looked to it from the perspective of a European importing of course. Would Namco release the same CE in Europe as the US got, they would likely charge €99 or more for it, which would make it overpriced again for us.

The US CE is $100. When I add 20% VAT to that, I get 85/86EUR. Which is 6EUR more than the current price of the European CE.

But sure, maybe they would have changed that to 100EUR. Would still be more acceptable, than the crap that they sell us for 80EUR.

Not for who its primarily being sold too, and it looks to be actually limited.

Well yes, Fans will see more value in a CE than those not really interested.

But even I feel like the EU CE is a bit much. The US one is fair enough, the EU one feels like it's a lot for what amounts to some chibi figures (that I can't really see holding much value) a dinky artbook and not even a full OST.

I kind of wanted it for the figures, I could of excused the price maybe if the port was a top-notch effort. But this thread is suggesting the port is kinda half-hearted. Maybe not bad...but, that's also not helping. Likely gonna cancel my order and just get it digital.

Top Bottom