• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just placed my pre-order! :)
I was going to skip it since I've already played through it 3-4 times on GC and also did the post-game content, but it's one of my favorite RPG's of all time and the first Tales of game I played. Plus I started getting hyped as we got closer to launch lol. I plan to completely ignore the 2nd game (I just have no interest in it) and I'm not sure if I'll take the time to do the post-game content again.

Bladenic

Collette over Sheena? At least Sheena is easy to control and fast.

The times I had to use Collette I just spammed Para ball lol. She's just too slow.

I was referring to AI/party setting. Although Sheena kinda beats Collette there too, but they both suck AI wise, except Collette has her Angel magic which puts her above Sheena.

Mistake

Gold Member
I just sacrificed Collette and would bring her back. Sheena you have to disable a lot of techniques just so she doesn't mess up the battle. There is one she would spam which knocks down the enemy, but they take less damage and get a free attack after =/

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It's blu-ray and one of them was a GC game, even at two discs that's under 4 GB as a baseline. If they aren't I'll be outright stupefied.

Symphonia was 2 discs which was like 2.3gb and Dawn is like 3.4gb. Shouldnt take much space.

Eusis

Wish it was two disk, I don't even want to see DotNW on the same menu screen.
"The fuck is this shit doing with my Tales of Symphonia HD remake!?"

Sadly it'll probably both look better and have 60 FPS battles if every other non-port, non-Legendia console Tales game in the last decade is any indication. Though I never did play Dawn due to the obvious bad reputation.
Symphonia was 2 discs which was like 2.3gb and Dawn is like 3.4gb. Shouldnt take much space.
Yeah, checking the sizes again (I SWORE GC discs were 1.8 GB rather than 1.5 GB) it doesn't surprise me that the GC game comes down to that, doubly so considering a lot of data is redundant to avoid repetitive disc swapping which was probably cleaned out on PS2 anyway. Dawn's somewhat surprising, but then not many Wii games exceeded a single layer DVD in size anyway.

Vazra

"The fuck is this shit doing with my Tales of Symphonia HD remake!?"

Sadly it'll probably both look better and have 60 FPS battles if every other non-port, non-Legendia console Tales game in the last decade is any indication. Though I never did play Dawn due to the obvious bad reputation.

Yeah, checking the sizes again (I SWORE GC discs were 1.8 GB rather than 1.5 GB) it doesn't surprise me that the GC game comes down to that, doubly so considering a lot of data is redundant to avoid repetitive disc swapping which was probably cleaned out on PS2 anyway. Dawn's somewhat surprising, but then not many Wii games exceeded a single layer DVD in size anyway.

I believe one disc used all space and the other was like 800mb IIRC

Saiyan-Rox

Wish it was two disk, I don't even want to see DotNW on the same menu screen.

I must be in the minority that actually liked DoTNW sure it's nowhere near as good as the original and tbh i expected that going into it but I still enjoyed playing it

ec0ec0

I was referring to AI/party setting. Although Sheena kinda beats Collette there too, but they both suck AI wise, except Collette has her Angel magic which puts her above Sheena.

If sheena AI sucks, why not using her yourself!? probably you didnt use her enough. Sheenas problem is that people always use the characters that have "obvious" great combos like lloyd, zelos, kratos, regal with a little more time... but if you give sheena time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAMqTL1B0Bo (2:15... only sheena is that godlike :D )

(so everyone can learn what sheena can do ;P before the game release)

EDIT: i posted that because, like you did before, people never talk about maining sheena :(

Vazra

I must be in the minority that actually liked DoTNW sure it's nowhere near as good as the original and tbh i expected that going into it but I still enjoyed playing it
Its better than what people say here. I rather get Ratatosk story 10 times than Graces, the combat was good for most of the part and the characters while annoying they were both fun to use. Better animations than Vesperia.(why mocap there and not on Vesperia?)

Also I didnt mind the no overworld part so many were complaining about. If the overworld will be as empty and mostly unimportant like Xillia Im ok with picking where to go on a map.

7/10 type of game. It aint the mediocrity that Legendia is.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I vastly prefer DotNW's combat system compared to Symphonia's. The monster catching is fun and addictive. Not only that but the growth and evolution system implemented keeps things very interesting. The actual combat is challenging at times, gimmick boss Mystic Artes aside, and there is an actual penalty for free running.

ec0ec0

I vastly prefer DotNW's combat system compared to Symphonia's. The monster catching is fun and addictive. Not only that but the growth and evolution system implemented keeps things very interesting. The actual combat is challenging at times, gimmick boss Mystic Artes aside, and there is an actual penalty for free running.

i hated those monster. Because of those monsters, all the tales of symphonia party was useless :,( I was sooo disappointed after seeing that you couldnt do anything with lloyd and the rest... and in stead they gave us those stupid monsters without personality.

kayos90

i hated those monster. Because of those monsters, all the tales of symphonia party was useless :,( I was sooo disappointed after seeing that you couldnt do anything with lloyd and the rest... and in stead they gave us those stupid monsters without personality.

The gameplay focus for DotNW and how it worked is vastly different from its predecessor. Just because it was different doesn't make it bad though lol.

kayos90

How does Tales of Symphonia compare to Vesperia? I've only ever played the latter in the Tales series.

It hasn't aged well in regards to combat. Storywise it's no different from your typical Tales fanfare. The OST and dungeons are pretty great. I would say that Vesperia is a much more enjoyable and streamlined experience on all fronts.

Saiyan-Rox

Its better than what people say here. I rather get Ratatosk story 10 times than Graces, the combat was good for most of the part and the characters while annoying they were both fun to use. Better animations than Vesperia.(why mocap there and not on Vesperia?)

Also I didnt mind the no overworld part so many were complaining about. If the overworld will be as empty and mostly unimportant like Xillia Im ok with picking where to go on a map.

7/10 type of game. It aint the mediocrity that Legendia is.

i'll admit i wasn't a fan of graces i really didn't bond with the characters and the battle system I wasn't fond of either. the battle system got better in Xillia which is good tho. the overworld i'm not too fussed on either it was good in the other games but if the overworld isn't very detailed then it's fine without it

Seda

Dawn of the New World is alright. As Kayos said, its battle gameplay is somewhat better than Symphonia. Only there are only two permanent controllable characters and the Symphonia cast is limited in level. I also tend to appreciate monster systems, so being able to create and train creatures was enjoyable enough. As with a lot of sequels, it does seem to retread the old areas a bit, so I suppose that can be a little boring. The main duo is a bit insufferable - although I genuinely think Richter is one of the stronger characters in the Tales series. The plot isn't all too interesting. Even though Symphonia's narrative is pretty typical in most regards, it's a notch above DotW's.

I certainly don't think it's a great game, but I don't see it as garbage.

Atlantis

I wonder which party I'll use this play through. I've always mained Lloyd. Wondering if I maybe wanna use someone else. If I do, it'll probably do Regal, Presea, or Zelos. Regal is really awesome. My favorite party is probably Lloyd, Zelos, Genis, and Raine, but I'm also fond of Lloyd, Regal, Presea, and Raine. Collette's okay, while Sheena sucks.

Use everyone of course! Most of the cast has situational use, though most of the melee characters are pretty interchangeable. (With Collette being the best option most of the time) Sheena and Genis are probably the least useful overall though.

Collette over Sheena? At least Sheena is easy to control and fast.

The times I had to use Collette I just spammed Para ball lol. She's just too slow.

Spamming Para Ball is some of the highest, safest damage you can do.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It hasn't aged well in regards to combat. Storywise it's no different from your typical Tales fanfare. The OST and dungeons are pretty great. I would say that Vesperia is a much more enjoyable and streamlined experience on all fronts.

Hm, alright. I want to give it a shot. Archaic battle systems aren't a dealbreaker to me. The most important thing for me is probably the characters.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there any particular reason why the frame rate is only 30 fps? Even if the game's source code is based on the PS2 version, why couldn't they have raised it? If they can remove black outlines from the characters, then clearly altering the source code isn't an issue. What do you think are the chances that they'll release a patch to improve it later? It seems like it would be an easy think to fix, considering that it wasn't an issue on the GC version and they're now running on PS3.

kayos90

Hm, alright. I want to give it a shot. Archaic battle systems aren't a dealbreaker to me. The most important thing for me is probably the characters.

Are there any character archetypes you hate? Eh... I'm like the worst person to ask. I'm not particularly fond of the characters in Symphonia.

Seda

Without getting into specifics:

Symphonia has a couple of characters that I found good and 'believable'. Namely Kratos and Sheena. I found Lloyd's simplicity and stubbornness a little endearing, but some are put off because he's not at all nuanced. The rest of the characters have their upsides and downsides too of course but I'll leave it at that. In any case, Vesperia's cast is hard to top.

kayos90

Symphonia has a couple of characters that I found good and 'believable'. Namely Kratos and Sheena. I found Lloyd's simplicity and stubbornness a little endearing, but some are put off because he's not at all nuanced. The rest of the characters have their upsides and downsides too of course but I'll leave it at that. In any case, Vesperia's cast is hard to top.

Vesperia's cast is pretty great. I enjoyed all the characters in the party save Judith and Repede.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are there any character archetypes you hate? Eh... I'm like the worst person to ask. I'm not particularly fond of the characters in Symphonia.

I'm pretty fine with most archetypes as long as they're done relatively well. Maybe the brooding teen angsty male is one that I find less tolerable than others.

Thanks. I loved all the characters in Vesperia, but I figured they might be the cream of the crop.

Vazra

Thanks to TOS CE, Dark Souls 2 CE and Lords of Shadow 2 I think I have enough games til summer.

Rolf NB

I kind of don't want to give Bamco the impression that Dawn Of The New World is worth anything. But dat Symphonia itself, very interested. What to do? Will they be available separately at some point?

Ultimadrago

I'm not too fond on Judith either.

I'd certainly mark Karol (while decent for an active JRPG child character), Raven and Estelle as my least favorite of that gang. Nonetheless, its cast is on the high end as far as Tales is concerned.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I <3 Vesperia, but Symphonia was the first one I played and has a special place in my heart. I recall liking everyone except Colette, but she's probably amazing-tier after experiencing Asbel from Graces.

Ultimadrago

I <3 Vesperia, but Symphonia was the first one I played and has a special place in my heart. I recall liking everyone except Colette, but she's probably amazing-tier after experiencing Asbel from Graces.

Man, I remember how much my sister and I verbally hated Colette when first playing ToS. Then we played Tales of Abyss, Tales of Innocence, DotNW and would go on to play Graces f...Colette's now surprisingly low on the unbearable character list. (Of course, she's still there, but much lower than I'd bet several years ago.)

Top Bottom