• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Ultimadrago

GameTrailers put up a comparison video. Gamecube version looks smoother to me, and it seems like it held up decently enough.

Yeah, the decline in frame rate and loss of thicker outlines for the HD are both disappointing in my book.

As for Milla's Voice Acting. She wasn't supposed to act human/ natural. The awkwardness and lifelessness of her voice fits what they wanted her to do and you eventually gain some sort of humanity on her tone.

I'm not talking about her voice acting as much as the audio quality/compression of her actual voice recordings.

SheHateMe

Wow, that seems really weird. They shouldn't cancel anything unless you're physically at the store. Maybe try going there in person?

I'm about to leave the house and go up there, actually. I'm pretty pissed off, but the upside to this is that eStarland's warehouse is about 30 minutes away from me and the guys there said they'll be getting 3 copies of it. I'll be there before they open to buy it if it's true.

Now (and I know this is slightly OT, but I need to vent), if NIS cancels my CE for The Witch And The Hundred Knight, I'm going to lose my marbles.

iuuk

60fps will make it smoother and the outlines added personality to the game. Now it looks generic.
Is that even 30fps in the PS3-version? I usually really can't tell the difference between 60 and 30 (I'm weird like that, but those GIFs never show me anything, and in games I only notice drops) and for some reason the Cubeversion looks an awful lot smoother even to me. It actually seems to stutter at times.

Maybe it's a bias induced placebo-effect though, but it just looks so much worse.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Is that even 30fps in the PS3-version? I usually really can't tell the difference between 60 and 30 (I'm weird like that, but those GIFs never show me anything, and in games I only notice drops) and for some reason the Cubeversion looks an awful lot smoother even to me. It actually seems to stutter at times.

Maybe it's a bias induced placebo-effect though, but it just looks so much worse.

Ps3 version has 30 fps and if they follow the Ps2 version to heart there are some dips still. Gamecube version had better visuals and framerate than PS2 and even on some of the world content you can see some textures have more detail on the gamecube version.

GQSPAF-6.png
Look how the outline on the GC version actually adds to the game while the not having the outline really makes the Ps3 version lose the visual charm the original version had.

antitrop

The original ToS on GameCube was one of the last JRPGs I really enjoyed, but it was far, far too long for me to ever finish it. I miss when 20-30 hours was a reasonable amount of time for an RPG.

Yawnier

Banned
GameTrailers put up a comparison video. Gamecube version looks smoother to me, and it seems like it held up decently enough.

Is it just me or does the PS3 version look more lighter (not as dark) compared to the GC version? 30 fps is a shame though.

Might still pick this up (or Graces f) to play over my spring break which is next week....

Vazra

The original ToS on GameCube was one of the last JRPGs I really enjoyed, but it was far, far too long for me to ever finish it. I miss when 20-30 hours was a reasonable amount of time for an RPG.

I miss Lost Kingdoms short and sweet flavor. 8-10 hours with replay value. (That multiplayer was everything back in the day)

NolbertoS

Can't wait for this game. Initially i bought two collectors editions, but due to excess clutter on my part, starting to sell my sealed extra CE's and keeping only one I have. Namco even charged me for a 3rd CE, even though i remember getting cancelled. Still shipped with trackin number and all, so that's going to ebay too. I am surprised how much this CE is selling. I never intended to make a profit, but if people are willing to pay alot then whatever. I'll be opening my lone CE and display the Lloyd figures too with OST. I remember in the GC era, GS fucked my pre-order and didn't give me my artbook, I was pissed they ran out, as I pre-ordered that way before release. i'm glad i'm getting an artbook now.

Persona7

Banned
This is what I get for pre-ordering from my local Gamestop.

Just got a phone call stating that my CE (along with everyone else's) has been canceled. She sounded sincerely apologetic and all, but she couldn't give me a solid reason as to why she's not receiving any copies of it.

So now, I either have to resort to shady ass Ebay resellers or chalk it up as a loss and just get the regular edition.

(._.)

Sounds weird, I would give the district manager a call and ask what happened.

FSLink

Banned
You all need to stop posting Dolphin posts in the wrong aspect ratio. :mad:

I'm surprised that Gametrailers video doesn't have a crap ton of spoilers.

So does anybody have Chronicles yet (in Japanese or English)? Is it actually locked 30FPS now? Because that'd be an improvement over the 30FPS with drops from the PS2 version.

You all need to stop posting Dolphin posts in the wrong aspect ratio. :mad:
The screenshot above is in the correct aspect ratio, but the HUD and UI elements are stretched because of the Widescreen hack. Nothing you can really do about that as far as I know.

FSLink

Banned
The screenshot above is in the correct aspect ratio, but the HUD and UI elements are stretched because of the Widescreen hack. Nothing you can really do about that as far as I know.

My mistake, just glanced at it from the thumbnail, expanding it shows it is the correct one. :p You should be able to do a HD texture hack like with Wind Waker, but I don't think anyone did one for Symphonia.

Vazra

I take that back then. That's way too much for NASA's budget these days.
Worth every penny
My mistake, just glanced at it from the thumbnail, expanding it shows it is the correct one. :p You should be able to do a HD texture hack like with Wind Waker, but I don't think anyone did one for Symphonia.
I think it is in works. I remember menu stuff being reworked and some textures.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, so apparently Namco fucked up the voice work. One example Flamfas gives is that we hear GENIS say a PRESEA Unisson Attack line.

FSLink

Banned
Okay, so apparently Namco fucked up the voice work. One example Flamfas gives is that we hear GENIS say a PRESEA Unisson Attack line.

Ugh. Fucking pathetic. :/

The Holy Binds instead of Shining Bind thing was already a dumb mistake. And with this apparently the audio levels of the new stuff is off from the old stuff? Like a different volume level.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ugh. Fucking pathetic. :/

The Holy Binds instead of Shining Bind thing was already a dumb mistake. And with this apparently the audio levels of the new stuff is off from the old stuff? Like a different volume level.

Yeah, apparently the audio volume of the new stuff is way lower than the old stuff.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, apparently the audio volume of the new stuff is way lower than the old stuff.

I love how the few previews/reviews that are out there already don't mention a damn thing about this. They must have gotten an intern to handle the audio balancing or some shit, and the same guy did Milla's voice work in Xillia lol

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Hah, just got a call from my Gamestop about picking it up at midnight.
Thank you Castlevania/Thief/PvZ.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Kratos sounds different, not Lloyd, IMO.

And how comes it says Holy Binds but the audio line still says Shinning Binds?

FSLink

Banned

Yeah just reached the Kratos stuff. He does sound different. Lloyd just sounds really high pitched, but it's been awhile so I'll let it pass.

I think it's because whoever handles the voices don't usually check back with the script/localized text. :/ Like Flynn's MA in Vesperia had the same problem.

o_O; They dubbed the unused artes? That's a waste of resources, geez. Shame the PS2 version didn't give them those artes in the first place

To be fair, the original game had mistakes with unison attack quotes too, such as Lloyd's voice clips over Zelos's unison attacks and Colette calling out Lloyd's name when she was performing attacks with other characters.

Still pretty sad they're making the same mistakes, though.

Peff

That video... yuck.

But I have to say that it's nice they got everyone back together again. I'm guessing the cameos in Knights of Ratatosk or whatever aren't redubbed?

Seda

There's a number of mismatches like that. Regal has several.

Some of the actual voice work is alright (Crispin Freeman's-Regal's new battle shouts for example) but some is poor (like Shiloh Strong's-Zelos's Judgement)

I'll just use Prism Stars every unison attack anyway though, haha.

Top Bottom