• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Datschge

(why mocap there and not on Vesperia?)

Because Vesperia was already in development for quite some time when the mocap team was assembled for Ratatosk (it was the first to use mocap outside of Legendia). That team is essentially the same till now and has been used in all Tales games since.

I tolerated Colette :( The klutzy moron thing was cute and, yeah, sometimes her righteousness was a little eh, but she wasn't all bad. I even sorta started liking her. I think part of it was 'cause I liked her VA/how she sounded :p So cute.

It's been a while, but I don't remember any of her righteousness making me roll my eyes. Slightly OT, but at least she's not like the insufferable, groan-worthy goodie-two-shoes lead in the Fruits Basket anime. I know, random, but I decided to watch it randomly a year or two ago but had to stop because she was so dumb. "Oh, I'm sorry QQ I was only trying to help QQ Please find me mysteriously alluring because you've never met anyone as nice as me, but I won't actually know what you mean because I'm THAT dumb and unaware QQ"

/rant

God, I hated that show.

But like I said, it's been a while since I've played ToS. Maybe Colette will be worse than I remember. Who knows!

Lloyd, though? Meh.

Sheena <3

BY2K

Membero Americo
The only character I hate to a boiling point is Ivar from Xillia.

The only other thing I hate, and it happens a lot in Tales of, is when a character clearly knows something and has knowledge that could avoid quite a lot of trouble to the team, but every time they're questioned about it, they always say "It's nothing" or "Don't worry about it."

That grinds my gears.

Ultimadrago

The only other thing I hate, and it happens a lot in Tales of, is when a character clearly knows something and has knowledge that could avoid quite a lot of trouble to the team, but every time they're questioned about it, they always say "It's nothing" or "Don't worry about it."

That grinds my gears.

Ha! I agree, though it's more of a "JRPG" thing in my experience.

RPGCrazied

Anyone getting the CE keeping it sealed? I'm not, I'm going to use every inch of that CE. Going to store the game in the steelbook, display the figures in my curio cabinet, put the soundtrack on my iPod, read the novel before I play DoTNW, skim through the artbooks(I'm going to have 2, one from the CE and the one that came with the gamecube preorder) as its installing the games.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Anyone getting the CE keeping it sealed? I'm not, I'm going to use every inch of that CE. Going to store the game in the steelbook, display the figures in my curio cabinet, put the soundtrack on my iPod, read the novel before I play DoTNW, skim through the artbooks(I'm going to have 2, one from the CE and the one that came with the gamecube preorder) as its installing the games.

I'll be keeping mine sealed until I eat through some of my backlog. At that point, if the standard version is discounted enough, I might just pick up another copy to play and keep the CE sealed.

Animekatt

That's pretty much what I'll be doing as well. I might actually display the figures.

RPGCrazied

That's pretty much what I'll be doing as well. I might actually display the figures.

They look really well made. Wish they kinda were actual figures than the chibi style, but the quality of the work is pretty great.

I'll be keeping mine sealed until I eat through some of my backlog. At that point, if the standard version is discounted enough, I might just pick up another copy to play and keep the CE sealed.

I can't do that for something I paid over $100 for, lol.

Shadownet

Banned

This is most likely what I'm doing with my CE as well. I still got Persona 4, Xillia, Abyss, Borderlands 2 AND Assassin's Creed 4 to finish.

But then again...knowing myself, I'd probably end up tearing the box off the moment I get home!

Zafir

Man, I remember how much my sister and I verbally hated Colette when first playing ToS. Then we played Tales of Abyss, Tales of Innocence, DotNW and would go on to play Graces f...Colette's now surprisingly low on the unbearable character list. (Of course, she's still there, but much lower than I'd bet several years ago.)
I dunno, I found even Anise and Natalia whom I found to be the worst out of Abyss' cast more tolerable than Colette. I'd rather character's have personality and motivation of their own, even it it's flawed, than Colette who was rather naive, followed orders without question, and never really did anything for herself.

As for Graces F and Innocence, I don't really think any of them are offensively bad. They just aren't very good either.

Edit: Ok, on thinking back, Asbel was rather bad, but I don't think I hated him as much as Colette.

Persona7

Banned

I am going to open it and use everything. I am getting two copies though, the second one I will probably just keep for my collection of "games I really like so I bought a second or third sealed copy and will never sell"

PKrockin

It's been a while, but I don't remember any of her righteousness making me roll my eyes. Slightly OT, but at least she's not like the insufferable, groan-worthy goodie-two-shoes lead in the Fruits Basket anime. I know, random, but I decided to watch it randomly a year or two ago but had to stop because she was so dumb. "Oh, I'm sorry QQ I was only trying to help QQ Please find me mysteriously alluring because you've never met anyone as nice as me, but I won't actually know what you mean because I'm THAT dumb and unaware QQ"

Ugh, I know what you mean. One of my friends was obsessed with that anime, so I watched a bit of it and Tohru drove me nuts.

Colette is bad, but actually... if my memory is right, I don't think she has all that many lines in the game for how important to the story she is.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ugh, I know what you mean. One of my friends was obsessed with that anime, so I watched a bit of it and Tohru drove me nuts.

Colette is bad, but actually... if my memory is right, I don't think she has all that many lines in the game for how important to the story she is.

Well she does get kidnapped quite a few times.

PKrockin

Seriously, can we bring this back to the series? It's infinitely more cool and exciting than getting a text box notification saying "Sword Rain learned", plus I get to see for myself what it is rather than reading a text description.

zibsASv.png

Ultimadrago

Seriously, can we bring this back to the series? It's infinitely more cool and exciting than getting a text box notification saying "Sword Rain learned", plus I get to see for myself what it is rather than reading a text description.

Man, I miss this. The *gasp* followed by a "Hell Yeah!" or "Umm, that's it?" in the middle of battle is a reaction I certainly think about from time-to-time,

BY2K

Membero Americo
Man, I miss this. The *gasp* followed by a "Hell Yeah!" or "Umm, that's it?" in the middle of battle is a reaction I certainly think about from time-to-time,

I was amazed when I first learned Shining Dragon Swarm with Yuri in Vesperia.

DEMON FANG

DAMN I MUST BE A GENIUS

DOUBLE DEMON FANG

And then

DOUBLE DEMON FANG

DAMN I MUST BE A GENIUS

DEMONIC CHAOS (which is basically Triple Demon Fang.)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Damn, I must be a genius.

Edit: Damn, I must be a slowass.

Persona7

Banned
I am trying to remember the magazine I read like 40 times before symphonia came out. It had a review and then somewhere in the magazine it had a really cool full color ad.

Auskeek

I just watched Namco Bandai's unboxing of the NA CE. God that instruction manual is massive. I hope the PAL standard edition gets a manual like that.

jimi_dini

As for Graces F and Innocence, I don't really think any of them are offensively bad. They just aren't very good either.

I can't get all that Graces hate.

I'm currently in act 2 of Tales Of Xillia and who the fuck decided on those voice actors. Maxwell sounds like a 40 year old. And I just checked and yup, the voice actress is actually around 40 year old. Wtf, who decided on that? She sounds like a 40 year old smoker. It just doesn't match. And the whiny, high-pitched voice of Elize makes me go crazy. And the story? Oh that's the "Lord Of Spirits" in a 20 year old body wearing a "sexy" dress - a mini skirt and stomach-free clothing. Yup, makes total sense. It's so fucking embarassing.

Graces on the other hand didn't have any of those problems. And all the female characters weren't sexualized one bit. Because of the mismatching voice acting, I just don't like the characters of Xillia. On the other hand, I loved the characters of Graces, voice actors matched and you felt, that they had fun doing their parts. Xillia however, sometimes the voice actors even sound bored, other times they over-act in a horrible manner.

Xillia is the perfect reason for dual voices. I have never played Symphonia, but if the voice actors suck as much, I can just switch to Japanese voices. Will probably switch to Japanese voices right from the start.

What's even worse is some of the gameplay. "Hey, let's go to that city". ... [missable subevent requires you to go back to the city, that you just went away from]. And this crap doesn't happen once, it happens almost every single time, when you are going off to somewhere else. Who decided on that? It doesn't make sense.

The music also wasn't anything special yet. I loved the soundtrack of Graces. Won't buy the soundtrack of Xillia, unless the good tracks are from end of act 2 or act 3, but I doubt that. Graces also had a large overworld. Xillia feels linear.

Zafir

I can't get all that Graces hate.

I'm currently in act 2 of Tales Of Xillia and who the fuck decided on those voice actors. Maxwell sounds like a 40 year old. And I just checked and yup, the voice actress is actually around 40 year old. Wtf, who decided on that? She sounds like a 40 year old smoker. It just doesn't match. And the whiny, high-pitched voice of Elize makes me go crazy. And the story? Oh that's the "Lord Of Spirits" in a 20 year old body in a "sexy" dress - a mini skirt and stomach-free clothing. Yup, makes total sense. It's so fucking embarassing.

Graces on the other hand didn't have any of those problems. And all the female characters weren't sexualized one bit. Because of the mismatching voice acting, I just don't like the characters of Xillia. On the other hand, I loved the characters of Graces, voice actors matched and you felt, that they had fun doing their parts. Xillia however, sometimes the voice actors even sound bored, other times they over-act in a horrible manner.

Xillia is the perfect reason for dual voices. I have never played Symphonia, but if the voice actors suck as much, I can just switch to Japanese voices. Will probably switch to Japanese voices right from the start.

What's even worse is some of the gameplay. "Hey, let's go to that city". ... [missable subevent requires you to go back to the city, that you just went away from]. And this crap doesn't happen once, it happens almost every single time, when you are going off to somewhere else. Who decided on that? It doesn't make sense.
At least for me, outside of Malik and Pascal, the rest of the characters were just not very interesting, especially with all the "Friends for ever" theme going on. As I said, I don't think they're bad, I just didn't really love them either. Just total indifference really. Xillia's characters just kept me more interested, though the voice acting wasn't the best in some cases. I seem to have a high tolerance level for dubs, mind you, I got through Arc Rise Fantasia for example, lol.

As for subevents, that's an issue in most Tales of games, the only difference in Xillia is, it actually tells you there is one available. The other tales of games, it didn't tell you, and let you miss them.

Edit: One thing that did bug me with Xillia, not sure if it's the case with Graces F as I didn't have the headphones at the time, was that on plugging in my sennheiser headphones, you could totally tell the audio was compressed really badly.

iuuk

Edit: One thing that did bug me with Xillia, not sure if it's the case with Graces F as I didn't have the headphones at the time, was that on plugging in my sennheiser headphones, you could totally tell the audio was compressed really badly.
This may be a stupid reason, but it's actually an important reason I didn't play Xillia for too long. The audio is terrible, amongst the worst I've ever heard in games.

Ultimadrago

This may be a stupid reason, but it's actually an important reason I didn't play Xillia for too long. The audio is terrible, amongst the worst I've ever heard in games.

Milla's in particular was horrid (at least for US version). So muffled, it sounded like she was speaking in a different place many times.

MA? Refresh my memory.

Mystic Arte (Special Skill). In Symphonia there are more strict requirements on some of them. I prefer the more lax execution across the board sported in future installments.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I wish somebody made a guide for the new game, never got into the sidequests the first time I played, or any of the cool costumes.

jimi_dini

Just total indifference really. Xillia's characters just kept me more interested, though the voice acting wasn't the best in some cases. I seem to have a high tolerance level for dubs, mind you, I got through Arc Rise Fantasia for example, lol.

My main problem is that the voice actors just don't match. The voices don't fit the characters.

Teepo sounds like a 40 year old man. It sounds creepy as hell. I also just checked that one. It's a 40 year old woman. oh god. Who decided on those. Really. This can't be the same voice director+casting, that did Graces, unless the one responsible had an accident inbetween or something like that.

Funnily Japanese Teepo is voiced by a Japanese 35/36 year old female, but it seems that that voice actress is able to change her voice accordingly and it sounds okay. I only listened to a bit of dialog, but it didn't sound creepy.

As for subevents, that's an issue in most Tales of games, the only difference in Xillia is, it actually tells you there is one available. The other tales of games, it didn't tell you, and let you miss them.

Xillia tells you? I couldn't find anything like that, where does it tell you, that there is a missable sub-event? I'm using the missable sub event guide from playstationtrophies.org. It doesn't spoil anything, not that I would care anymore.

And I just had another one of those stupid situations:
Rescued some people (don't want to spoil anything) from a laboratory, that actually looked like a mine, but whatever. Went back to the city. 10 minutes of bla bla cutscenes and now there is a missable subevent, that gets enabled right after that. Guess what? Go back to the fucking "laboratory" for a 2 minute cutscene. And that's missable. And I was at the exact place for that cutscene 20 minutes ago. I don't remember a problem like that in Graces. Graces had lots of actual sidequests. In Xillia most of them are "be at this location to watch a cutscene".

The power of BluRay :(

Zafir

Xillia tells you? I couldn't find anything like that, where does it tell you, that there is a missable sub-event? I'm using the missable sub event guide from playstationtrophies.org. It doesn't spoil anything, not that I would care anymore.

And I just had another one of those stupid situations:
Rescued some people (don't want to spoil anything) from a laboratory, that actually looked like a mine, but whatever. Went back to the city. 10 minutes of bla bla cutscenes and now there is a missable subevent, that gets enabled right after that. Guess what? Go back to the fucking "laboratory" for a 2 minute cutscene. And that's missable. And I was at the exact place for that cutscene 20 minutes ago. I don't remember a problem like that in Graces. Graces had lots of actual sidequests. In Xillia most of them are "be at this location to watch a cutscene".

The power of BluRay :(
Not all of the subevents do tell you, but a good amount of them give a skit saying maybe you should go talk to x, or travel to z. That's an improvement over Symphonia/Vesperia/Abyss at the least, where it gives you no indication what so ever that there is a missable event somewhere. That's what I meant when I said it was an improvement over some of the tales of games. Graces F did have some missable subevents as well, but there wasn't as many from what I remember, and I don't recall it telling you that you that they exist, either.
My main problem is that the voice actors just don't match. The voices don't fit the characters.

Teepo sounds like a 40 year old man. It sounds creepy as hell. I also just checked that one. It's a 40 year old woman. oh god. Who decided on those. Really. This can't be the same voice director+casting, that did Graces, unless the one responsible had an accident inbetween or something like that.
Teepo didn't bother me too much voice wise, however Milla really did at the start. I think I did eventually get used to it though.

SheHateMe

This is what I get for pre-ordering from my local Gamestop.

Just got a phone call stating that my CE (along with everyone else's) has been canceled. She sounded sincerely apologetic and all, but she couldn't give me a solid reason as to why she's not receiving any copies of it.

So now, I either have to resort to shady ass Ebay resellers or chalk it up as a loss and just get the regular edition.

(._.)

jimi_dini

Not all of the subevents do tell you, but a good amount of them give a skit saying maybe you should go talk to x, or travel to z.

That's another issue I have with Xillia. I had some instances, where I got multiple skits after each other at the same place. Which is kinda weird. And what's even worse, is that sometimes I saw the text that a skit is available at that place, which disappeared almost immediately, because some characters decided to have some smalltalk, which removes the "press button for skit"-text. Which means I could have missed it easily.

That's an improvement over Symphonia/Vesperia/Abyss at the least, where it gives you no indication what so ever that there is a missable event somewhere. That's what I meant when I said it was an improvement over some of the tales of games. Graces F did have some missable subevents as well, but there wasn't as many from what I remember, and I don't recall it telling you that you that they exist, either.

In Graces I remember some actual sidequests, that were missable. But it was possible to find them pretty easily. I think I didn't use a guide for those and found almost every single one. In Xillia, I would have missed at least 15 by now. Who would walk the opposite way, when there was just a cutscene telling you that the characters want to go to place X.

Teepo didn't bother me too much voice wise, however Milla really did at the start. I think I did eventually get used to it though.

It really ruined that one scene at the "laboratory"
Teepo acting like a toy on factory default
. I didn't feel anything, I just didn't care. In Graces it was the opposite. I enjoyed the skits, got to know the characters and cared about them because of that. I found the skits to be highly enjoyable in Graces.

For example this one here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns1KCNL1XDQ (spoilers for Graces) Watching it now verifies my opinion. Hubert sounds exactly like I would have imagined by his looks and his personality. It just fits perfectly.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Milla's in particular was horrid (at least for US version). So muffled, it sounded like she was speaking in a different place many times.

Mystic Arte (Special Skill). In Symphonia there are more strict requirements on some of them. I prefer the more lax execution across the board sported in future installments.

Oh right. I think I got em all.

As for Milla's Voice Acting. She wasn't supposed to act human/ natural. The awkwardness and lifelessness of her voice fits what they wanted her to do and you eventually gain some sort of humanity on her tone.

Animekatt

This is what I get for pre-ordering from my local Gamestop.

Just got a phone call stating that my CE (along with everyone else's) has been canceled. She sounded sincerely apologetic and all, but she couldn't give me a solid reason as to why she's not receiving any copies of it.

So now, I either have to resort to shady ass Ebay resellers or chalk it up as a loss and just get the regular edition.

(._.)

Wow, that seems really weird. They shouldn't cancel anything unless you're physically at the store. Maybe try going there in person?

Top Bottom