• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Oh no. Amazon shipped using UPS Surepost.

My Bravely Default CE was shipped UPS Surepost in an envelope and crushed to hell and back when I found it shoved into my mailbox on delivery day. I took pictures but still haven't filed a complaint about that one yet. Can't wait to see what my Tales CE is going to look like.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Oh no. Amazon shipped using UPS Surepost.

My Bravely Default CE was shipped UPS Surepost in an envelope and crushed to hell and back when I found it shoved into my mailbox on delivery day. I took pictures but still haven't filed a complaint about that one yet. Can't wait to see what my Tales CE is going to look like.

This is not going to fit in an envelope, and the box itself is pretty damn sturdy.

Arkeus

Honestly, I'm SHOCKED to find out the NGC version was originally 60fps moreso than this is 30...

It was 'thereotical 60fps'. The reason it went back to 30fps for the PS2 version was that the framerate of the GC was erratic as hell with constant slowdown in combats and not only in animations/world map.

As this is a port of the PS2 version it stays at 30FPS, but it also means it has a lot more stuff than the GC version (and the FPS is stable).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Got my CE. Pretty impressive packaging - much more sturdier than the box Xillia came in foe sure. Nicely done, Namco.

Bladenic

I noticed that there are scenes that are voiced in Japanese but not in English. Goes to show how they had to cut corners for the original dubbing.

Like which?

Anyway, I can't decide which paths to take for which characters. I've forgotten which paths are best for them and mostly what skills they get too.

todd360

I don't know If I want to buy this or not. I beat the gamecube version back in the day and remember liking it but I have so much stuff in my back log now.

Edit: Could someone post a picture of the reversible cover on standard version? I would really like to see it. Oh also can someone test to see if ds4 works with this game when plugged into ps3?

Got my standard edition from amazon, oddly enough received like two hours after my other amazon package arrived. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon and Namco had some problems with this release.

Especially since my copy of Blue is the Warmest Color shipped from the usual Chattanooga, TN facility. While Symphonia just lists "US." Haven't had a vague tracking detail like that since Amazon fucked up PS4 orders for central Florida.

Scrawnton

I can't wait to get home and play it. I thought dawn of the new world was an amazing game and I actually loved the new main characters. There was a long of character development and I really felt for Emil by the end of the game. Loved it.

PKrockin

Ah, looks like you can switch strategies without pausing, my mistake.

It was 'thereotical 60fps'. The reason it went back to 30fps for the PS2 version was that the framerate of the GC was erratic as hell with constant slowdown in combats and not only in animations/world map.

As this is a port of the PS2 version it stays at 30FPS, but it also means it has a lot more stuff than the GC version (and the FPS is stable).
No, it wasn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be.

Interesting. I saw this mentioned on the pre-order page but I wasn't sure. Kagari pointed these out now that it's updated.

You can buy the games separately on PSN. $19.99

Tales of Symphonia

Dawn of the New World

I don't think that was ever officially announced.

Well fuck, I would have just bought Symphonia had I known about this. Thanks Namco.

Rocky

Banned
I can't wait to get home and play it. I thought dawn of the new world was an amazing game and I actually loved the new main characters. There was a long of character development and I really felt for Emil by the end of the game. Loved it.

I agree. I really don't understand the hate that Marta and Emil get. They are great characters and made DOTNW all the more enjoyable to me.

OT, can't wait to get home, my order from the Namco Bandai store arrived, my Amazon order shipped this morning and won't be here until Thursday.

The GC version really only slowed down for me when there was a high-tier spell or U. Attack on the screen. I'd take the 'Cube framerate with its rare slowdown over the PS2 framerate any day of the week, but that's just me.

Johnny Yong Bosch is worth more than $20.

The recast Symphonia voices drastically reduce the product's value :p

todd360

I really want to know if ds4 works with this game. I only have one ps3 controller now and I would like to play this game co-op with my sister. So I could just plug in my two dual shock 4s if they work.

Have they added English voice-over's to the dialogues initiated on the world map? I remember reading that the original Japanese version included voice-overs.

Xena

Yes, mine finally arrived! Cant wait to play it and listen to the OST!

rYqmbCZ.jpg

PKrockin

Here are some easy in-battle titles to get at the beginning of the game.

Lloyd: link three different normal attacks to a tech. (Ex. down + X, neutral + X, forward + X, Demon Fang)
Playing as Genis, don't attack or take damage for an entire fight.
Playing as Colette, finish a fight without using techs/magic.
Kratos: link three different normal attacks to a tech. (Ex. down + X, neutral + X, forward + X, Demon Fang)

Seda

Some other early tips/reminders for those not wanting to 'miss'' things.

-Use Magic lens on everything, including early bosses, even before you get the monster book
-Have Colette talk to the dogs in Palmacosta, and later Ozzette.
-Make sure you get all the chests/enemies in the Sylvarant base and human ranches, and Thoda Geyser
-You can get titles for not using gels and avoiding letting characters drop to 0HP up to a certain point in the game, although that's easier to manage on a second playthrough.

And a pro-tip even for people not worried about titles and such - get a Sephira from Palamcosta grab bag (customization shop). Helps with money relatively early on.

How do you change costumes?

Character status page, same place you select titles.

It's mediocre.

please elaborate, is it the same backgrounds and monsters as the first game or just boring story? Are the boss fights at least interesting?

I'm interested in the monster party members thing, apart from the main character looking like a goof goof, I don't know why its so poorly received.

For starters, collecting monsters was fairly random (and pointless once you got two that you really liked and used frequently enough) while the Symphonia cast was pretty useless (they level-cap at 50).

Ah, i see, didn't know the symphonia cast was in it, what a waste.

Bladenic

Am I remembering wrongly or was Dwarven Vow #7 "Justice and Love" not "Goodness and Love" as said by Lloyd to Dirk? And then I noticed a grammar error that may or may not have been in the GC version.
Forcystus says that "Lloyd Irving, have been..."
Weird.

Animekatt

Some other early tips/reminders for those not wanting to 'miss'' things.

-Use Magic lens on everything, including early bosses, even before you get the monster book
-Have Colette talk to the dogs in Palmacosta, and later Ozzette.
-Make sure you get all the chests/enemies in the Sylvarant base and human ranches, and Thoda Geyser
-You can get titles for not using gels and avoiding letting characters drop to 0HP up to a certain point in the game, although that's easier to manage on a second playthrough.

And a pro-tip even for people not worried about titles and such - get a Sephira from Palamcosta grab bag (customization shop). Helps with money relatively early on.

Character status page, same place you select titles.

Crap... I haven't used a magic lens on an enemy yet, and now
Lloyd is in prison.
Will the data carry over to a new play through, or should I just start over (I'm 3 hours in)?

ohlawd

Interesting. I saw this mentioned on the pre-order page but I wasn't sure. Kagari pointed these out now that it's updated.

Tales of Symphonia

Dawn of the New World

HOLY SHIT.

I'm gonna buy ToS right now. I'll get DotNW sometime in the future. Well, I'd buy that right now, too but time constraints. Only got time for the first.

With this, I guess I'm not gonna open my ToS CE when it comes. Oh fuck, hardest decision I've ever made I think. My Colette and Marta figures! D:

Cess007

Tales of Symphonia

Dawn of the New World

Pretty tempted to just buy Symphonia. I beat Dawn of the New World on the Wii and ain't worth a second purchase. The original tho, i've never beat it. Does anyone knows if i can play it with the DS4? :D

Seda

Crap... I haven't used a magic lens on an enemy yet, and now
Lloyd is in prison.
Will the data carry over to a new play through, or should I just start over (I'm 3 hours in)?

You have to magic lens every enemy in the game for a title (and a trophy), but you can't get it all in one playthrough anyway thanks to a boss fight decision.

EDIT: So yes, you can carry over Monster List data.

Well this is balls, if I'd have known I could have bought ToS separately I would have done so. :(

EDIT: screw it, I'll buy Symphonia then return the physical copy. No reason to pay double for the one game, even if I love the cover.

Seda

So is there english in the VA for this or not? I heard some conflicting things from my local gamestop.

There are both Japanese and English voice-overs. However, the English dub never bothered with the skits - and a few other scenes. So those remain voiceless if you are playing in English.

I preordered the CE back in October and kind of forgot about it until I saw that it had just shipped a couple of days ago. Oh well! I'm not sure if I want to open it, though. Think it'll ever be worth anything?

Top Bottom