• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Seda

Another small error.

I just did the orienteering sidequest in Palmacosta. This didn't get you anything in the GCN version, but Lloyd can get a title in this version. However, when I won, it said "Colette gained the title of Dog Lover".

It looks like the proper title was actually awarded in the status menus, just the wrong statement given.

I'm gonna go ahead and get this, not happy with the fact one of the bigger twists as far as party members was spoiled in this thread, but the game is like a decade old soooo..eh..

Jeels

If I am ever lacking a JRPG to play, I am totally picking up Symphonia. I bet that'll go on sale some time this year too. It's great at $20.

Is Dawn of the New World worth a shit?

Nope.

Another small error.

I just did the orienteering sidequest in Palmacosta. This didn't get you anything in the GCN version, but Lloyd can get a title in this version. However, when I won, it said "Colette gained the title of Dog Lover".

It looks like the proper title was actually awarded in the status menus, just the wrong statement given.

LOL how on earth were they so sloppy with this?

still getting it though <3

I'm gonna go ahead and get this, not happy with the fact one of the bigger twists as far as party members was spoiled in this thread, but the game is like a decade old soooo..eh..

If it's what I'm thinking of, that twist was spoiled in a least two reviews back during the original release, so other people have felt your pain, me included.

RPGCrazied

Damn, the nostalgia is great with this one. The opening got me misty eyed, I'm such a nerd. :p And the game looks great on my TV anyway, I'm not seeing the massive jaggies as some have put. Running in 720p already makes the image better than the ps2/gcn versions.

Couple questions.

1.) I got all the costumes from having a Xillia and Graces F save file, but I can't see the costumes at all. I'm guessing you have to beat the game first?
2.) I don't remember getting subtitles for the battle victory quote before, is that new to this release? Can't find a way to turn them off, I'm guessing you can't. Just got to the first dungeon.

Anybody get a damaged CE?

No, mine was in absolute mint condition. Hats off to gamestop.com. They have been packaging good lately.

PKrockin

Damn, the nostalgia is great with this one. The opening got me misty eyed, I'm such a nerd. :p And the game looks great on my TV anyway, I'm not seeing the massive jaggies as some have put. Running in 720p already makes the image better than the ps2/gcn versions.

Couple questions.

1.) I got all the costumes from having a Xillia and Graces F save file, but I can't see the costumes at all. I'm guessing you have to beat the game first?
2.) I don't remember getting subtitles for the battle victory quote before, is that new to this release? Can't find a way to turn them off, I'm guessing you can't. Just got to the first dungeon.

1. They should be in the status menu as one of your titles. I noticed them after I left the classroom with Genis and Colette.

If you ask me, this game actually looks better in 480i 60fps on a CRT than 720p 30fps on an HDTV. Controls better too.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
SMH finally playing it.

Audio Quality goes to shit in battle
Framerate its very noticeable and there are still dips to the framerate in overworld, towns and combat.
Visually not too bad but could have been better.
Why couldnt they add a skip button to cutscenes?

More whining later on.

Aexact

Is Dawn of the New World worth a shit?
If you really like Tales games? The monster capture mechanics are unintuitive (branching evolution and stat gain is untransparent) and unenthusiastic (no special victory quotes), and the two new main characters are uh... not well received.

Despite that, the combat for your two proper party members (and guest members who can't level) is as frantically Talesy as ever, skits are as goofy and cheery, and the game is rapidly paced but still feature towns and sidequests (Katz guild excluded) and mini-games. So if you really like Tales, it's a more on-a-budget Tales game. The villain had good motives and the mascot was cool and the returning cast has solid interactions with the new.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If you really like Tales games? The monster capture mechanics are unintuitive (branching evolution and stat gain is untransparent) and unenthusiastic (no special victory quotes), and the two new main characters are uh... not well received.

Despite that, the combat for your two proper party members (and guest members who can't level) is as frantically Talesy as ever, skits are as goofy and cheery, and the game is rapidly paced but still feature towns and sidequests (Katz guild excluded) and mini-games. So if you really like Tales, it's a more on-a-budget Tales game. The villain had good motives and the mascot was cool and the returning cast has solid interactions with the new.

Thanks for the info.

PKrockin

I wonder if Dawn of the New World will be better with traditional controls. I remember not liking it on the Wii.

It didn't really have any weird controls. There was a point and click sort of option for moving your character outside battle, and waggle for a few extra move shortcuts.

Gamecube version was 60fps and the Ps2 port was 30fps.

KAYOS I think I might win the bet :3

Have a look at your avi if I win.
iSf5Va4u8xs2W.png
That avatar is EVIL... EVIL i tell you .
i tried to play tempest years ago before the traduction. my japanese was limited and i thought i was reading the text badly and wasn't understanding things correctly . Turn out i was correct all along and the game story was just ... just .. argh.

Kayos , you better win this bet , because this avatar bet will cost you..... a lot.

Oh fuck. This is bad but this nothing compared to the shit I had to wear in the past.

Well i haven't followed all your bets but if you had worse to wear , i pity you a little.

On topic:

Disapointing to hear the report of bad localisation The stuff with the proper text displayed is like in the realm of QC and it seems this game didn't have enough ressources for it to be polished.

Nevermind 30 fps , never mind the voices ( in Us dub ) missing ... the text not being the right one is quite crucial and hearing this really annoy me as a rpg lover.

Verelios

Got my CE. I ordered from the Namco site and it came in pristine condition. Thank you God.

And to the people wondering about TOS2 DotNW, there aren't a lot of artes if that turns you off, but the ones that are present are typical Tales fun. Emil especially has fun combos centering around air juggling. And for monster party members, all you really need is a wolf and healer. They're actually kind of negligible.

RPGCrazied

No, you already have the costumes. Go to Status and change titles.

1. They should be in the status menu as one of your titles. I noticed them after I left the classroom with Genis and Colette.

If you ask me, this game actually looks better in 480i 60fps on a CRT than 720p 30fps on an HDTV. Controls better too.

Oh wow, did my game bug? I only had 2 titles for Lloyd at the start. It said I got all the costumes from the save file from Graces F and Xillia.

EDIT: Okay, I did get Lloyd's Guy costume, was the guardian title, but thats it? I guess I don't know who gets what. Does Genis get one at the start?

todd360

Just bought ToS for $20 on psn. I guess south park was right about pre-ordering for you guys who only wanted to original game lol.

Roto13

I'm much more likely to buy Symphonia on its own. I'm glad that's an option.

But I'm still more likely to wait for a sale.

Artorias

Banned
I'm actually surprised at how nice the CE is. The little art book is silly but everything else looks great. I'm not sure i'll ever put the figures together but they seem really nice. It's a bit spendy still but I like it a lot more than the Xillia CE.

RPGCrazied

Can anyone please tell me the cameo costumes, so I can look out for them? I guess any title without leveling stats is a costume pretty much.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there any way to turn off subtitles that occur during a win quote at the end of battle? Looks out of place...

RPGCrazied

Is there any way to turn off subtitles that occur during a win quote at the end of battle? Looks out of place...

I asked that earlier, got no answer, I'm assuming no. I looked all over the options menu. I don't remember the gamecube version doing this. Been so long since I last played though.

PKrockin

Can anyone please tell me the cameo costumes, so I can look out for them? I guess any title without leveling stats is a costume pretty much.
If there's just one cameo costume per character, your party members join with them already available in the title list.

I asked that earlier, got no answer, I'm assuming no. I looked all over the options menu. I don't remember the gamecube version doing this. Been so long since I last played though.
The GC version didn't have subs on the win quotes, but they were hard to hear. I guess this is a response to that?

RPGCrazied

If there's just one cameo costume per character, your party members join with them already available in the title list.

The GC version didn't have subs on the win quotes, but they were hard to hear. I guess this is a response to that?

Oh thank you. So each character only gets one cameo costume? Really want to know how Lloyd gets that samurai one. I think thats from the PS2 version.

Oh, I play with headphones, so I have no issues hearing anything. I hear that DOTNW lets you actually turn the battle subtitles off.

Bladenic

Battle subtitles display with English voices too? That's weird. Thought it was only cuz I had JP voices on.

And I think it's kinda hilarious that Dawn displayed different parts of the world as having changed, while Xillia 2 did not, even though
the ending of Xillia made it clear that the world should have changed

Top Bottom