• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Seda

Taking a team without Kratos/Raine to fight Kvar was not my smartest idea, haha.

At least I have a back-up save only 15 minutes back.

sensui-tomo

Taking a team without Kratos/Raine to fight Kvar was not my smartest idea, haha.

now i havent played in a while, but is that going the normal begining route or is that the "well time to cross the bridge and fight enemies at least 10 levels or so above me route"?

Seda

now i havent played in a while, but is that going the normal begining route or is that the "well time to cross the bridge and fight enemies at least 10 levels or so above me route"?

Well, you have to do the Asgard Human Ranch events either way, but I went through Palmacosta on the 'easy' path.

ramuh

Lol. Most of the time don't they just post a guard to block off areas? :) I am currently enjoying the game, it's crazy that I haven't played it in like a lot of years. I love the colors in Tales games. And how much the battle system has evolved. And just realized I own every Tales games released in America now (with the dawn game included I haven't played yet).

Edit: Nevermind, gave Tales of Destiny 1 away.

sensui-tomo

Lol. Most of the time don't they just post a guard to block off areas? :) I am currently enjoying the game, it's crazy that I haven't played it in like a lot of years. I love the colors in Tales games. And how much the battle system has evolved. And just realized I own every Tales games released in America now (with the dawn game included I haven't played yet).

Edit: Nevermind, gave Tales of Destiny 1 away.

funny thing is that they have additional dialog for going through the hard route(there is only one downside as going this route will take away some opportunities to gain some affection points with some characters
The Kratos sword training event unless the ps2 version fixed this.

ramuh

funny thing is that they have additional dialog for going through the hard route(there is only one downside as going this route will take away some opportunities to gain some affection points with some characters

Ya, I've been following a guide for affinity for your teammates. Another thing I've noticed is how forgiving the current Tales games are in difficulty. At least IMO.

DR2K

Banned
Just bought Symphonia. Thank you based Namco. The other $20 went towards Dragon's Crown. Don't think I'll ever play DotNW

PKrockin

On the other hand you do get more opportunities for affection with
Sheena

Ya, I've been following a guide for affinity for your teammates. Another thing I've noticed is how forgiving the current Tales games are in difficulty. At least IMO.
Symphonia definitely is tougher than recent Tales games, even on Normal. Not blocking or positioning yourself well will kill you quickly. You'll want to switch between several custom strategies on the fly to keep your AI partners alive. Dodging is harder, especially the huge threat of enemy magic. And then of course this is a TP system.

Soriku

And I think it's kinda hilarious that Dawn displayed different parts of the world as having changed, while Xillia 2 did not, even though
the ending of Xillia made it clear that the world should have changed

I may have missed something but I don't think removing the schism would've actually changed (or merged) the worlds. They're two actually separate worlds. This is unlike Symphonia's where the two worlds were really just one and got split, but at the end they're back together again.

I remember not using Raine at all in my Symphonia playthroughs because I didn't understand the importance of healers at the time (I was young). I just relied on items. For Kvar, I rolled with Kratos and Genis. For
Forcystus
later in the game, I used
Genis, Kratos, and Zelos
. Even for the cameo battle I just used Zelos and Genis. And in my main party I used Lloyd, Genis,
Zelos/Kratos
, and Sheena.

sensui-tomo

On the other hand you do get more opportunities for affection with
Sheena

well if this game didnt follow the ps2 version i'd have gone for a sheena/kratos route since when they are captured on denis karlan(however you spell it) they could technically show up together when they are facing their past(or whatever it was fear,etc)

Bladenic

I may have missed something but I don't think removing the schism would've actually changed (or merged) the worlds. They're two actually separate worlds. This is unlike Symphonia's where the two worlds were really just one and got split, but at the end they're back together again.

I remember not using Raine at all in my Symphonia playthroughs because I didn't understand the importance of healers at the time (I was young). I just relied on items. For Kvar, I rolled with Kratos and Genis. For
Forcystus
later in the game, I used
Genis, Kratos, and Zelos
. Even for the cameo battle I just used Zelos and Genis. And in my main party I used Lloyd, Genis,
Zelos/Kratos
, and Sheena.

Yeah except
the barriers or whatever they were called got taken down. Aka the city where Jude studied should have no longer been all night all the time. Stuff like that.
Unless I remember wrong.

Anyway beat the first Sword Dancer. Pretty hard without Photon.

Beatrix

Got the game today and I'm actually disappointed in the visuals for this game. I'm not sure if its just my nostalgia goggles but I didn't think the 30 FPS would be this upsetting to me. I put at least 300 hours in the GameCube version, the 60 FPS really made it feel so much "faster" and "smoother".

However I do enjoy that it's on the PS3 now, and with all the extra content. Can't wait to play this again!

Seda

I like to steal white silvers from Living Swords in Tower of Mana, for money (they sell for a bit) and for customization.

EDgLhYGl.jpg

Really?

Not to mention the other error I found earlier.

1WS9mcul.jpg

Or that the Inn cost in Palmacosta is misabled too.

Lots of errors indeed.

Persona7

Banned
Weird, the side of my collectors edition box is peeling off.

Did standard editions really not get a manual? This thing is amazing.

Persona7

Banned
It's normal, the game is just shedding away its old skin.

Actually got any pictures; sorry for your potential loss though.

Just one corner of the bottom part was peeling, it seems they just covered the box with some sort of printing instead of printing the art directly on the box. I just glued it back and it looks normal.

Bladenic

I like to steal white silvers from Living Swords in Tower of Mana, for money (they sell for a bit) and for customization.

EDgLhYGl.jpg

Really?

Not to mention the other error I found earlier.

1WS9mcul.jpg

Or that the Inn cost in Palmacosta is misabled too.

Lots of errors indeed.

Wow. Seems like about the only thing they got right with this game was the amazing CE.

Soriku

Yeah except
the barriers or whatever they were called got taken down. Aka the city where Jude studied should have no longer been all night all the time. Stuff like that.
Unless I remember wrong.

Anyway beat the first Sword Dancer. Pretty hard without Photon.

Hmm I watched this video again and I think you might be right lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXpLT3BZ53Q

Maybe it just remains night there because all the events happen to take place at night? :p IDK how much you understand Japanese, but I wonder if they address it at all in Xillia 2.

ramuh

Wow, it really is true. The Standard edition doesn't have the big ass manual or reversible cover art.

Nope, just a warning about tv watching and health stuff. I was debating on going digital or not, but I am still attached to my physical copies. :)

FSLink

Banned
Oh thank you. So each character only gets one cameo costume? Really want to know how Lloyd gets that samurai one. I think thats from the PS2 version.

Oh, I play with headphones, so I have no issues hearing anything. I hear that DOTNW lets you actually turn the battle subtitles off.

You get the PS2 costumes except Raine's by the Flanoir event, so late late game. And you only get 1-2 per playthrough. For Lloyd's specifically:
Get Kratos' ending for Lloyd's + Kratos' samurai costumes

Persona7

Banned
My art book / theme code is missing from my CE... anyone else have this issue?

It is printed on the back of the art book. Oh yeah, one other thing. Some vouchers are not working and they are looking into it. I guess they didn't activate some of them.

Varshes

Really? That sucks. I would contact Namco and see if they can send you one.

Just to clarify, this is the book the code is printed on. (from Avallon earlier in this thread)

Yeah, thats's not in here, guess that might explain why the box with the figures got smushed up a bit, extra space in the box for stuff to move around. Apparently one of my friends who bought the CE is also missing a figure from the set. I've already e-mailed Bandai Namco, just waiting on a response now, thanks.

Is there really no way to change the camera angle in the overworld in ToS? I could've sworn there was in the Gamecube version :\

Also, dunno if I missed it, but has anyone else gotten some stutter or slowdown while in the overworld?

PKrockin

Is there really no way to change the camera angle in the overworld in ToS? I could've sworn there was in the Gamecube version :\

Also, dunno if I missed it, but has anyone else gotten some stutter or slowdown while in the overworld?
There's some stutter.

You could move it around with the C-stick, I assume that would just be mapped to the right analog stick on the DS3.
In the GC version you could rotate the camera even faster if you used both the C-stick and shoulder buttons at the same time.

Metaledgeking

Neo Member
Man either its because I am still use to Xillia and Graces F or they upped the difficulty but this game is kicking my ass, I don't remember it being this hard before. Also since this is the PS2 version and not the GC version, is there affinity guide or something of that nature since you can't automatically get Kratos in Flanior anymore?

PKrockin

Man either its because I am still use to Xillia and Graces F or they upped the difficulty but this game is kicking my ass, I don't remember it being this hard before. Also since this is the PS2 version and not the GC version, is there affinity guide or something of that nature since you can't automatically get Kratos in Flanior anymore?
There is, on GameFAQs.

I've tried, but I don't think I've been able to get anything to work for some reason.
You can only rotate the camera left and right, if that's what you're asking. Although there is a long-range mode where you ride Noishe and it pulls the camera back more. You need to find the monument post in the area and press Square.

ohlawd

I like how this game still has my favorite Tales combat.

Simple as fuck which I love. Future games after this just tried too hard. Should have stopped trying to reinvent the battle system afte adding Free Run.

Top Bottom