• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

ZeroX03

Banned
feel your pain my backlog isn't getting any better :( got both downloading on my PS3 waiting to be played but I have thief to play swell and south park next week then titan fall then MGS/FFX HD and Infmaous on the same day!

This month truly is crazy. I've still got to finish LoS2, Danganronpa and DKCTF. South Park will probably get put on the backburner, MGS, FFX, Infamous and I probably won't be able to resist Titanfall on PC with friends. I like to 100%/platinum my games too, so Symphonia HD is going to take a long time. Can't be mad though, rather have heaps of great games than none at all.

Saiyan-Rox

This month truly is crazy. I've still got to finish LoS2, Danganronpa and DKCTF. South Park will probably get put on the backburner, MGS, FFX, Infamous and I probably won't be able to resist Titanfall on PC with friends. I like to 100%/platinum my games too, so Symphonia HD is going to take a long time. Can't be mad though, rather have heaps of great games than none at all.

it really is and I really want to sit down and play ToS but don't have much free time to even play things atm >< think i'm gonna leave out MGS as im real excited for south park and still deciding if FFX is even worth investing in atm. platting ToS may take a good while yeah it needs multiple playthroughs doesn't it?

Ath

EU Collector's Edition just arrived. Yeah, after seeing the pictures of the US CE it's kinda underwhelming. Still, I got it for £34.99 so it's fine.
Dqpn2Xw.jpg

Seda

How hard is getting all trophies? Are there missable ones and is more than one playthrough required?
Talking Tales of Symphonia 1.

Many missable ones, due to titles. This includes opening every chest, analyzing every enemy (including bosses/missable ones), getting one of every item. Several places aren't accessible by the end of the game, meaning you have to do these things while you are there.

Based on a single event nearing the end, the Flanoir scene, you can get different titles or items depending on which party member you pick, and you can only pick one. Ultimately that means 5 playthroughs for all trophies, although you might be able to cheese it with 3 and some fancy saving.

Audioboxer

EU Collector's Edition just arrived. Yeah, after seeing the pictures of the US CE it's kinda underwhelming. Still, I got it for £34.99 so it's fine.

How did you manage that! Well done.

I got my £39.99 Amazon pre-order today, worried from the get go it wouldn't be honored. As I said in the Cheap topic I almost cancelled but left it due to the game currently selling for £35 on it's own. It's hit or miss with low-print RPGs in the UK, sometimes they plummet to £17.99 in no time, other times retain their price unless a second print goes through.

Ath

1) Nice detailing with Colete in the shot.

2) The Heck you got it for £40?!

How did you manage that! Well done.
Had that £39.99 Amazon preorder too, but last month Amazon sent me some survey and they gave me a £5 gift voucher, which I used on this. Fair play to them for honouring it.

Just fired up Symphonia. I'm used to the 50Hz PAL Gamecube version, so it took me a while to get used to 30fps. Other than that, it's still nice to play Symphonia again.

On another note, my PS3 really doesn't like MP3 CDs.

wighti

Man, I've gotten so used to the faster combat gameplay of Vesperia/Graces/Xillia that it's been somewhat of a struggle to play Symphonia. Think I'm hitting my groove with it again tho and it's starting to be enjoyable.

Now all I need to do is stop trying to sidestep everywhere.

kewlmyc

Man, I've gotten so used to the faster combat gameplay of Vesperia/Graces/Xillia that it's been somewhat of a struggle to play Symphonia. Think I'm hitting my groove with it again tho and it's starting to be enjoyable.

Now all I need to do is stop trying to sidestep everywhere.

Same, it's really hard to get into this game, it feels so dated. I'll still try though.

Audioboxer

Good thing for me is I've never played Symphonia. As a JRPG fan pretty shocking I know. Had a PS2 and a Wii, so ample opportunities. So while the gameplay may be jarring now that I've played more recent Tales games I can focus more on the story and characters. There has to be a reason people praise this Tales game as much as they still do, without it just being nostalgia!

R0ckman

Good thing for me is I've never played Symphonia. As a JRPG fan pretty shocking I know. Had a PS2 and a Wii, so ample opportunities. So while the gameplay may be jarring now that I've played more recent Tales games I can focus more on the story and characters. There has to be a reason people praise this Tales game as much as they still do, without it just being nostalgia!

The character are very classic tropes, the more modern Tales are cringe worthy reflections in the devolution of the quality of anime I'd say. If you focus on the characters you can tell its very much influenced by what's popular to females. But since the guys play for the battle system and don't care about the story I think the characters are only going to get worse over time.

Anyone else have an issue where the stand peg (that L-shaped white peg) for the Emil statue wouldn't go in all the way like the others?

Haven't had the chance to look too much at it but it seems like the hole might not have been done out enough. Either that or it's too big and won't fit in snugly.

Conan-san

The character are very classic tropes, the more modern Tales are cringe worthy reflections in the devolution of the quality of anime I'd say. If you focus on the characters you can tell its very much influenced by what's popular to females. But since the guys play for the battle system and don't care about the story I think the characters are only going to get worse over time.

On an unrelated note, Kratos is never not having his Save Bonus Title on. To much swag not to.

Saiyan-Rox

Hey guys something has gone wrong xD

I cancelled my CE order from Argos last week I belive it was and got my refund through on the 25th for it. Well guess what just turned up from DPD? Yep one free collectors edition! I dunno what to do XD I even bought the game of PSN already

Levyne

Banned
There might be someone wanting a collector's edition on the site that you could sell it to at cost so they don't have to buy it inflated from a re-seller. Or you could see how much you could get for it (which I don't have a problem with). Or you could be super generous and give it away!

Or you could keep it!

kubus

Picked up my EU CE today. Dat 80 euro pricetag... Ugh. After seeing pics of the US CE I am very underwhelmed by the one I got :(. Especially with the price I had to pay.

The figurines are super detailed, was worried they might not look as good as in the promo shots. Unfortunately Tenebrae can't stand on his own, keeps falling over because his head is too heavy. Anyone else have this? Don't understand why they didn't make a peg for him :/

Also lol they packed in the game manual seperately but it doesn't fit into the game case. So I removed the CD thingie from the case and I'll just keep that seperated in the CE box. Manual belongs in the game case, period.

Dice//

Banned

Mmm. I think it's more Xillia that was guilty of crummy characterization within an annoying plot more than the others.

Pretty cool Rox! I'd buy it from you for cost if you were willing, or make a nice trade for something you're looking for. I understand if it's too much temptation though... the prices are insane!

Unfortunately Tenebrae can't stand on his own, keeps falling over because his head is too heavy. Anyone else have this? Don't understand why they didn't make a peg for him :/

Happened to me. I put it near Marta (near the hair part) and it seems to have made it stay upright.

Saiyan-Rox

Pretty cool Rox! I'd buy it from you for cost if you were willing, or make a nice trade for something you're looking for. I understand if it's too much temptation though... the prices are insane!

atm I'm wanting to keep it I think well as long as argos don't come at me wanting it back! i know zavvi did when they screwed up orders for the vita a while back. but if i decide to sell it i'll come on here and offer it to someone rather than stick it on fleabay. i'm not one to scalp by any means so if i were to sell it i wouldn't take the piss with the price.

I also really want to read that book lol

Seda

Curious:

Do you guys have a 'default' party you tend to stick with? Or do you throw in whoever?

I almost always have Lloyd and Raine in my group, but one some playthroughs I'll purposefully deny myself from using Lloyd just to mix things up.

More often than not, I have Lloyd, Zelos, Colette, Raine, sometimes replacing Zelos with Presea.

FSLink

Banned
Curious:

Do you guys have a 'default' party you tend to stick with? Or do you throw in whoever?

I almost always have Lloyd and Raine in my group, but one some playthroughs I'll purposefully deny myself from using Lloyd just to mix things up.

More often than not, I have Lloyd, Zelos, Colette, Raine, sometimes replacing Zelos with Presea.

I usually stick with Lloyd/Genis/Raine/Kratos or Zelos or Presea or Colette.

Sheena and Regal are hardly used unless they're required or if I'm using them.

R0ckman

Can't get the "Don't Run" title on Colette. Is this unobtainable when she becomes an angel or something? I am controlling her.

ec0ec0

How much time to fight Sword Dancer 2? Just got to the Gaoracchia Forest.

looool... he is THERE!! :p (seriously)

EDIT: i didnt remeber exactly in what "screen" of the forest he was... so i copied this from a faq:

"The second place is Gaoracchia Forest. On the screen above the memory circle, take the first path to the left. He will only be here if you defeated him the first time and are not missing Raine or Genis from your party."

I hope that what that line says is enough (i dont know, if i was playing i could. Sorry :p )

EDIT2: Also, what i do remeber is that he will dissapear after you make the path with luna, so you have to kill him before that.

RPGCrazied

looool... he is THERE!! :p (seriously)

EDIT: i didnt remeber exactly in what "screen" of the forest he was... so i copied this from a faq:

"The second place is Gaoracchia Forest. On the screen above the memory circle, take the first path to the left. He will only be here if you defeated him the first time and are not missing Raine or Genis from your party."

I hope that what that line says is enough (i dont know, if i was playing i could. Sorry :p )

Thanks, but I mean how far into the story can I go before he disappears?

Shahed

Curious:

Raine is probably the most useful for her healing, and Lloyd is pretty much guaranteed for me as well because he's not only the main character, but I like his playstyle and he's pretty good at offense. The other 2 can be swapped in and out, but I like having Zelos as a jack of all trades and maybe a bit of extra healing on the side since HP isn't something I like looking after. The last one usually goes to Sheena for me since you have to use her for a lot of the important fights, so I just got used to having her in the party. She's fun to control even if summons are pretty useless

RedSwirl

Why is Symphonia by itself 5GB on PSN? Did they do anything with the textures or other art assets? The Gamecube version couldn't have been more than 2 or 3GB.

RPGCrazied

Why is Symphonia by itself 5GB on PSN? Did they do anything with the textures or other art assets? The Gamecube version couldn't have been more than 2 or 3GB.

Probably the Japanese voice track, also the anime videos do look up rezzed. I don't remember them looking this good.

ohlawd

you can't be serious. the anime scenes look fuzzy to me compared to the GC release. It's even more apparent during the final scene of the game.

well if it wasn't obvious I'm done. Amost all side quests done, most costumes get, devil arms unlocked, coliseum shit done, I got the Sacred Stone for Niflheim but fuck Niflheim lol.

uhh yeah my CE came by. So tempted to open! But I won't so this means I'm spending another $20 for digital DotNW.

oh gawd $140 spent on half assed ports. well done, me :D

BY2K

Membero Americo
Curious:

Lloyd, Zelos, Raine, Genis.

Always.

Atlantis

Curious:

I like to level everyone personally.

Everyone in the party has use at some point, though Genis is probably my least used/useful character. Sheena would be down there was well but she's required for a big chunk of the game's bosses. Colette and Raine are my staple party members for most bosses.

ec0ec0

you can't be serious. the anime scenes look fuzzy to me compared to the GC release. It's even more apparent during the final scene of the game.

well if it wasn't obvious I'm done. Amost all side quests done, most costumes get, devil arms unlocked, coliseum shit done, I got the Sacred Stone for Niflheim but fuck Niflheim lol.

uhh yeah my CE came by. So tempted to open! But I won't so this means I'm spending another $20 for digital DotNW.

oh gawd $140 spent on half assed ports. well done, me :D

You still have one obvious thing left... Beat abysson with genis, solo, in mania, starting with 1HP, without taking damage (you cant recover healt using abysson spells) and without using the objects ;P

FSLink

Banned
guys more importantly the English OP isn't in the sound test.

unless I'm supposed to unlock it or something...

Nope, shouldn't be in.

I do dislike that the original JP GC and PS2 OPs aren't in either, I'm not really a fan of the remixes.

Zafir

They really didn't go to much effort with this did they... They didn't even redo the 2d skybox/backdrops and so consequently they're now all pixelated and low quality. >.<

FSLink

Banned
They really didn't go to much effort with this did they... They didn't even redo the 2d skybox/backdrops and so consequently they're now all pixelated and low quality. >.<

The shadows in some places are literally pixels when the camera zooms in during cutscenes, lol

Bladenic

I like to level everyone personally.

Everyone in the party has use at some point, though Genis is probably my least used/useful character. Sheena would be down there was well but she's required for a big chunk of the game's bosses. Colette and Raine are my staple party members for most bosses.

I'm curious to see how Genis fares now that I'm older. My younger self always used him cuz his high level spells are awesome and he seemed to be great, but I've seen a lot of "he sucks recently" and want to see if I didn't pay enough attention before. Although one playthrough I used Lloyd, Raine, Presea, and either Regal or Zelos and things seemed pretty easy. I'm sure the spell queue is the reason, Genis holding up Revitalize isn't cool.

Atlantis

I'm curious to see how Genis fares now that I'm older. My younger self always used him cuz his high level spells are awesome and he seemed to be great, but I've seen a lot of "he sucks recently" and want to see if I didn't pay enough attention before. Although one playthrough I used Lloyd, Raine, Presea, and either Regal or Zelos and things seemed pretty easy. I'm sure the spell queue is the reason, Genis holding up Revitalize isn't cool.

Not to sound like a broken record but "he sucks". He does less damage than physical fighters and is worse at keeping combos going. That's on top of the spell queue problem you mentioned.

The best offensive spell in ToS is Photon.

Top Bottom