• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Ramune

I got mine from Amazon in a big box with tons of air Bubbles protecting it. It wasn't dinged at all and came perfect. I'm awaiting my Gamestop copy now and hoping it doesn't get dinged either. I can't wait to replay this game soon :D

Amazon stuck my copy in a box about 3x the size of the CE and a few air bubbles, all four OST disks popped out of the case.

Gamestop did a bit better but I am not going to open it yet so I don't know if the cds popped out. The UPS guy also dropped both packages when he stepped out of the truck, lol.

Well it's sounding like what they did for Xillia, so that alleviates my...

Just got off a chat with Amazon, the best they could offer me for my damaged CE was a $25 credit. Pretty lame considering the thing is already going for $180-$200 in mint condition but apparently they don't take that type of thing into consideration at all.

Last time I buy a CE from Amazon.

Geezus, it could still happen! >_<
My condolences DR. :(

Ouroboros

Picked up regular version at target last night (last copy!!). Was a little disappointed there wasn't an instruction booklet inside like the CE version but eh, oh well...I'd only look at it once.

I never got to the 2nd disc of the gamecube version...excited to play this!

Rocky

Banned
How are people's CE from Amazon holding up? I'm getting paid this morning, so before it finally ships, I wanna let them know to protect this thing. Ironically, when Amazon shipped the Xillia CE, it came in great condition. Boxed and bubbled as it should be.

My Amazon CE arrived last night. The box was slightly longer than the CE box and the extra space was bubbled appropriately. It was in perfect condition when I opened it.

How are people's CE from Amazon holding up? I'm getting paid this morning, so before it finally ships, I wanna let them know to protect this thing. Ironically, when Amazon shipped the Xillia CE, it came in great condition. Boxed and bubbled as it should be.

Got mine yesterday and it was in perfect condition. The box it arrived in was about twice the size of the CE itself, but they packed in a bunch of those air cushions to compensate.

wighti

Ended up getting the digital version here in Finland, was about 10 euros cheaper than what the physical one is going for. Been ages since I played through this, looking forward to it.

This even made me finish up Xillia, had stopped at the last boss like 4 months ago for some reason and never finished it. One more off the backlog :)

kierwynn

My CE from Amazon is supposed to arrive today and seeing the picture of it here and in the pick up thread are making me more anxious. It looks great! Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Was fine except for the artwork coming off slightly on one side, but I think it's due more to when it was put on rather than shipping. Nothing some glue won't fix.

Ramune

Rocky, Kyledk05, and GreatMightySymp: Yeah it's sounding like what they did with Xillia. Huge box, but air pockets. Great! Unless you have a klutz like poor Persona7's mail carrier or who ever handled The_Darkest_Red's shipment. Cautiously optimistic. @_@;

Finalow

does anyone know how the difficulty trophies work (mania and hard), do I have to use that difficulty during the whole run or what.

My CE box before I opened it:

CFr5DKe.jpg

mOQdZlK.jpg

y3qZYBK.jpg

The box had one air pocket strip in it that protected one side of the game case... Wonderful. I haven't had a chance to get any pictures of the damage yet. Nothing too extreme but it's enough to where I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it without mentioning the flaws.

Recall

With games you pre-order on PSN must I make sure the console is on for the auto download to begin? Or can I leave it in the red light on sorta of standby mode??

Game is out tomorrow and PSN states it will begin downloading at midnight.

Mine wasn't beat up like that bit it didn't have an air pocket on the other side like what happened with yours. Weird they didn't do that considering there was more than enough room for another air pocket in there.

With games you pre-order on PSN must I make sure the console is on for the auto download to begin? Or can I leave it in the red light on sorta of standby mode??

Game is out tomorrow and PSN states it will begin downloading at midnight.

If you have the PS3 automatically turn on at a specific time it'll do it then, otherwise it has to be on.

I don't think it can quick boot and check for downloads like the PS4 can.

PKrockin

does anyone know how the difficulty trophies work (mania and hard), do I have to use that difficulty during the whole run or what.
For Symphonia, you only need to beat the final boss on that difficulty. As for DotNW I'm not sure about the trophies but you do need to beat the whole game on Mania to unlock Unknown.

If you have the PS3 automatically turn on at a specific time it'll do it then, otherwise it has to be on.

I don't think it can quick boot and check for downloads like the PS4 can.
My PS3 turns on by itself for a few moments every so often. I don't know what it's doing though.

RPGCrazied

So like, how do you get back to fight Sword Dancer 1? Can't seem to in Palmacosta. I just reached Asgard, but I want to go back and fight it now.

Seda

So like, how do you get back to fight Sword Dancer 1? Can't seem to in Palmacosta. I just reached Asgard, but I want to go back and fight it now.

Go West on the northern continent past Luin, past Hima, down the bridge and you'll be back near Izoold and the entrance to Ossa Trail.

iuuk

My EU CE just arrived. I wish I hadn't seen the US CE now, I'm feeling distinctly underwhelmed. Chibi figurines are lovely, though.
I had the same problem, but at least mine arrived in pristine condition. I'm still annoyed at Bamco, but I feel for people having their edition destroyed by Amazon. I still remember how much Zavvi pissed me off with their MGS HD LE.

Still, the European edition is genuinly terrible when compared to the US edition. They might as well have just put a cardboard box around the figures and game, because that book just adds insult to injury (same goes for the fact that you can see how terrible it is before even opening it).

R0ckman

maybe this is the run I let Regal be a mainstay in my party.

... yeah, no.

This dude has really fucked up the flow of my party the very first time I played this game. It doesn't matter who he replaces on my team, battles suddenly go straight to hell. He really makes a case for you're as strong as your weakest member in a team.

This dude has really fucked up the flow of my party the very first time I played this game. It doesn't matter who he replaces on my team, battles suddenly go straight to hell. He really makes a case for you're as strong as your weakest member in a team.
Regal ai is just piss poor.
If he is handled by a human , those problems disapear.

Seda

I like playing as Regal. Pulling together his tech combos is probably the most satisfying of all the party members. Of course, the AI won't be able to do that at all.

PKrockin

Regal's real problem seems to be range.

Maybe it would have been better if Regal got Anti-Air -> Midair -> Touchdown combos instead of Ground -> Anti-Air -> Touchdown. If he spent more time in the air he could avoid getting smacked around by the enemies he's not comboing so often.

At least he gets Glory.

Finalow

For Symphonia, you only need to beat the final boss on that difficulty. As for DotNW I'm not sure about the trophies but you do need to beat the whole game on Mania to unlock Unknown.
guess I'll stick to normal for the first run then.

just played for 2 hours or so and damn, didn't expect it to look this fucking bad, that world map uugh.

the CE is really nice.

TEJ

I feel so pervy for noticing this but in tos1 tosc sheena is wearing an exposed bra while sheena tos1 na gcn she's wearing a low cut shirt.

Doomshine

I have never played a Tales game so I'm thinking of getting Symphonia digitally since I hear nothing but bad things about the other game in the colkection...

But there's one important question before I decide to jump in, does the game have random encounters?

Seda

I have never played a Tales game so I'm thinking of getting Symphonia digitally since I hear nothing but bad things about the other game in the colkection...

But there's one important question before I decide to jump in, does the game have random encounters?

No. Most Tales games have enemy tokens on screen that initiate a battle screen when you run into them.

Soriku

I feel so pervy for noticing this but in tos1 tosc sheena is wearing an exposed bra while sheena tos1 na gcn she's wearing a low cut shirt.

She's always worn a bra.

561316_20040625_screen011.jpg

Not that visible in this pic, but the white garment isn't a shirt.

FSLink

Banned
So thoughts so far:

- I forgot Hard mode is pretty difficult early on, surprised that I remembered that Botta has a new ougi that destroys any AI hanging around him. Managed to get them out of the way by using Sonic Thrust/making them use mostly spells. Not gonna bother fighting Sword Dancer on first go.

- OST is great as I remembered it.

- 30 FPS sucks but it's definitely better than the PS2 version just because that had 30FPS with drops + loading times (even for battles sometimes) + really blurry textures. It's more steady here, and tons more playable. It is pretty hilarious that switching to DotNW on the collection with 60FPS makes DotNW look so much better.

th4tguy

Playing through the game thus far, there are only a few things that really bug me.

- hitching on world map
- really muddy textures. They seriously couldn't have even updated the main characters textures so they weren't blocky?

Game is fun and I'm enjoying it. Frame rate doesn't bother me. I own the GC version but never got too far into it. Excited to see how the story pans out.

Seda

I always found Symphonia's story to be pretty standard-fare stuff, but cohesive and functional, although a little stretched. To me, it doesn't have an out-of-place final third that Abyss and Vesperia did, although those narratives have some more unique plot elements.

Finalow

So thoughts so far:

- I forgot Hard mode is pretty difficult early on-
yeah well, I got 2 game overs with those first encounters in the world map. the first boss on the other hand is really easy.
anyway I don't want to grind that much so fuck hard mode.

ProphessorX

Neo Member
When I'm tired of spamming sword rain I like messing around with Regal, but can never master him like the pros. Just like Judith in Vesperia with all those insane aerial combos.

Meanwhile here I am just chaining base and arcane artes. Yay...

Persona7

Banned
Well it's sounding like what they did for Xillia, so that alleviates my...

Geezus, it could still happen! >_<
My condolences DR. :(

It would have been better if they wrapped the entire game box in air bubbles, stuck it in the box and then filled the extra space on each side with more bubbles. Instead they usually just toss the game box in and fill one side with air bubbles with extra space for everything to move around.

Ultimadrago

I always found Symphonia's story to be pretty standard-fare stuff, but cohesive and functional, although a little stretched. To me, it doesn't have an out-of-place final third that Abyss and Vesperia did, although those narratives have some more unique plot elements.

That sounds apt to me.

Oh right, my CE arrived today from Amazon.

It was packed in an extra big box so no damages so kudos to Amazon.

Of course the box was pretty big which made it pretty unwieldy to carry it back home so oh well.

Wasn't even aware there was a slipcover for the whole CE too which was a nice touch.

17780/18000

ohlawd

oh god hahahahah the slowdown in the underwater ranch.

this is so fucking sad. I bet the budget for this port was $10 and a Big Mac.

Top Bottom