• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I just hope we don't get another dumb protagonist like Asbel. It's the only thing I pray for.
He already looks the part
Tales-of-Zestiria-Slay-600x338.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Uh oh...

You never played Symphonia? Lloyd isn't exactly smart.

EDIT: Oh you meant Zestiria.

Symphonia was my first Tales game. Phantasia was my second.

Having said that, I fucking hate Lloyd, Colette, Genis, Presea, and Refill. I liked Regal, Kratos, and Zelos. Oh yeah, Sheen sucks too.

The fact that he is naive as hell makes me worry. I thought it wouldn't be possible to be worse than Asbel but it might happen. He might say something like "Why does the world work this way? I don't get it. This isn't right!" or something stupid and shitty.

PKrockin

Uh oh...

You never played Symphonia? Lloyd isn't exactly smart.
He was the amusing sort of stupid to me, rather the kind that makes me want to smash my head into a wall. Could be that he tends not to spare enemies that are obviously going to try to kill him again, could be the other characters around to mock him and offer a smarter idea, could be nostalgia.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Having said that, I fucking hate Lloyd, Colette, Genis, Presea, and Refill. I liked Regal, Kratos, and Zelos. Oh yeah, Sheen sucks too.

Okay, we're gonna clear up something right now.

Her name is Raine.

I don't give a shit what her Japanese name is. It's RI-DI-CU-LOUS!

Verelios

What's wrong with Sheena and Raine? They're great characters.

kayos90

Okay, we're gonna clear up something right now.

Her name is Raine.

I don't give a shit what her Japanese name is. It's RI-DI-CU-LOUS!

They're both equally bad names! I will say that there are only a handful of characters in the Tales universe I actually like. Many of them suck. Hard. Especially the female characters.

Vazra

What's wrong with Sheena and Raine? They're great characters.

Sheena I can understand it as she was probably the weakest in terms of combat
and she has to be one of the worst assassins in videogames.

Raine while she has dumb moments
when they find old ruins and the hydrophobia
but she overall a nice character.

Soriku

The only tolerable character I remember is Pascal. Everyone else was annoying.

How were Malik and Richard annoying? Hubert is more of a dick than genuinely annoying, but he lightens up.

I'll give you Asbel, Cheria, and maybe Sophie. Personally I thought Sophie was better than I thought she'd be.

Also I thought Slay was already confirmed/implied to be generally smart.

Beatrix

One of my favorite Tales game. The world and atmosphere was fantastic, hopefully the 30 fps doesn't kill it for me.

kayos90

I will say that I loved the puzzles in Symphonia but I hate pushing and moving things around. It annoys me to no end because it takes forever...

How were Malik and Richard annoying? Hubert is more of a dick than genuinely annoying, but he lightens up.

I'll give you Asbel, Cheria, and maybe Sophie. Personally I thought Sophie was better than I thought she'd be.

Academic smart != common sense smart

Levyne

Banned
I remember thinking that the later game quest regarding Raine and Genis
their mother
soured me a bit on Raine for some reason,

kayos90

I remember thinking that the later game quest regarding Raine and Genis
their mother
soured me a bit on Raine for some reason,

I remember being annoyed about this because the plotline came from literally out of nowhere. Granted I was sort of young so I might've missed the signs but my gosh... the knowledge bomb in
Derris Kharlan
was so fucking dumb.

Roto13

Both Malik and Richard feel like they were designed specifically to breed a new wave of terrible weeaboo fangirls. Hubert isn't just a dick, he is an awful dick. He's not even entertaining. He's not subtle about it. He's just a jerk for the sake of being a jerk and I can't believe the other characters don't just beat him up all the time.

kayos90

Both Malik and Richard feel like they were designed specifically to breed a new wave of terrible weeaboo fangirls. Hubert isn't just a dick, he is an awful dick. He's not even entertaining. He's not subtle about it. He's just a jerk for the sake of being a jerk and I can't believe the other characters don't just beat him up all the time.

What? No. If that was the intent then they did a horrible job. Also, you don't really breed a new wave of terrible weeaboo fangirls. On the other hand Asbel is designed to be totally for the fangirls.

Bladenic

The beating up part is how I feel about Anise. I wish she was in Vesperia so Yuri could have killed her.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think of all the Tales of characters, Yuri's the only one that doesn't fuck around. You make people suffer, you're gonna get an axe in the back.

His only black spot in his huge contradiction about cutting a small part that's infected to save the whole.

Verelios

Sheena I can understand it as she was probably the weakest in terms of combat
and she has to be one of the worst assassins in videogames.

Raine while she has dumb moments
when they find old ruins and the hydrophobia
but she overall a nice character.
I don't know. Sheena by herself in the main story isn't so interesting, but I found her sub plots entertaining. Also, I quite liked her chemistry with other party members.

The...uh, ruins bits were offputting. But healers.

kayos90

I hate Marta but I like her visual design a lot. I find it to be one of the more interesting ones. Emil's is... well... lol. I like the scarf?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I hate Marta but I like her visual design a lot. I find it to be one of the more interesting ones. Emil's is... well... lol. I like the scarf?

COURAGE IN THE MAGIC THAT TURNS DREAMS INTO REALITY!

Soriku

Jude 2.0. I hope they dont have the constant thinking animation Jude had tho. That was quite absurd.

Jude was pretty smart for the most part, Alvin stuff aside. Certainly nothing like Lloyd or Asbel (who mostly just has too much blind faith).

O...K. I don't agree at all. They were both good characters.

Hubert really isn't that bad either.

Roto13

I like the ruin parts. It's fun to see Raine, who is normally very calm and reserved, start gushing over ruins like a tween at a boy band concert.

kayos90

I think of all the Tales of characters, Yuri's the only one that doesn't fuck around.

His only black spot in his huge contradiction about cutting a small part that's infected to save the whole.

I think that contradiction is intentional. He's not a very by-the-books type of guy. He doesn't let emotion really run its course all the time. He judges things and views justices on a per situation basis. What he says in one situation doesn't necessarily apply in another. It's what sets him apart from Flynn who is very by-the-books and follows a concrete set of laws.

Having said that, Alvin doesn't fuck around either for the most part.

Jude was pretty smart for the most part, Alvin stuff aside. Certainly nothing like Lloyd or Asbel (who mostly just has too much blind faith).

Jude is academically smart but incredibly naive. Being naive isn't bad but at the same time the way they did it on Jude wasn't necessarily great. I like to use Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero as a character who has naivety done well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The way Jude acts with Leia during his mental breakdown puts him at the bottom of the best Tales of main character list. Just above Asbel.

kayos90

The way Jude acts with Leia during his mental breakdown puts him at the bottom of the best Tales of main character list. Just above Asbel.

Nailed it. When I played the import version I'm like "wat? teh fuk Jude?"

suko_32

Wait...I don't remember and so how bad was the
ice pushing
puzzle in Symphonia? There was a
ice pushing
puzzle right?

Soriku

Jude's major black spot, but those 10 mins don't devalue him enough for me. I'd say he's one of my more favorite JRPG protags and I heard he gets a lot better in Xillia 2.

Roto13

I thought that breakdown scene was great.

The only thing that really bothered me about the Xillia cast was
that they kept getting betrayed by Alvin over and over again and he would just be all "LOL K I'M DUN B-TREYN' U NAO" and they'd just believe him and keep him around.

Rhapsody

Banned

I usually let that part slide. It was a mental breakdown. It wasn't so bad after that.

Asbel just didn't have many redeeming qualities for me outside of skits...

Vazra

If you were on a mental breakdown you would be puking kittens and rainbows?

FSLink

Banned
Don't really understand the hate for Asbel when Emil+Marta, Kyle were worse. You should all be playing the series for gameplay first anyway, otherwise you won't enjoy Rebirth if it ever got localized in a future port. :(... Though that story is laughably bad so it's enjoyable in its own way.

Agreed on Marta. Very cute outfit, she got me into Okumura designs. I actually don't mind Emil's design much, aside from that irritating ahoge.

Top Bottom