• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles |OT| 60FPS? I lied. Its actually 30FPS

mintylurb

How is this running at 30 fps? Did Namco outsource this ps3 port to high voltage software?
i98AsyzwX9mrK.jpg

FSLink

Banned
God, so many RPGs to play in 2014. But seriously, 30fps? Lol. Did they not have the gamecube version lying around somewhere?

If it wasn't like a right's issue/lack of source code, it was most likely that they found porting the PS2 version easier especially since it'd be "more" work adding the PS2 content into the GC version.
They just didn't bother fixing the framerate.

Both.

Which means every once in a while, someone down at the dubbing studio took a vice and used it on his balls.

Ahh, so he is using the Nero/Ichigo/Lelouch voice, but his voice becomes Renton when they vice his unmentionables.

I've had the Wii version for quite sometime, though I have never actually played it. Might as well play it on the PS3. I've already accepted the fact that it's not as good as Symphonia, but that's tough act to follow.

How does Emil play? Note, I've only completed Symphonia, gave up on Phantasia GBA, and barely played any Xillia (should really get back to that).

mintylurb

If it wasn't like a right's issue/lack of source code, it was most likely that they found porting the PS2 version easier especially since it'd be "more" work adding the PS2 content into the GC version.
They just didn't bother fixing the framerate.
I figured porting the GC version would've been easier since both GC and PS3 use risc based cpu's and GC had a more conventional GPU compared to PS2.
But as you said, maybe it had to do with the added content in the ps2 version. Still..this is just embarrassing.

Seda

Ahh, so he is using the Nero/Ichigo/Lelouch voice, but his voice becomes Renton when they vice his unmentionables.

I've had the Wii version for quite sometime, though I have never actually played it. Might as well play it on the PS3. I've already accepted the fact that it's not as good as Symphonia, but that's tough act to follow.

How does Emil play? Note, I've only completed Symphonia, gave up on Phantasia GBA, and barely played any Xillia (should really get back to that).

Basically Emil has two personalities and so Bosch switches between his usual voice and his higher pitched 'Renton' voice. This isn't a spoiler as it's revealed in the opening hour or so of the game.

Emil is a fast single swordsmen type, and has a lot of aerial based combos. From the games you've played, he his kind of like Lloyd, only with more ability to juggle enemies.

FSLink

Banned
I figured porting the GC version would've been easier since both GC and PS3 use risc based cpu's and GC had a more conventional GPU compared to PS2.
But as you said, maybe it had to do with the added content in the ps2 version. Still..this is just embarrassing.

I think there's more tools out for devs for PS2->PS3 than GC->PS3 as well.

The Johnny Yong Bosch thing for ToS2 was just weird since I played Persona 4 right before ToS2. So I was expecting Marta to call Emil "Sempai" half the time or to yell the enemy's weakness.

Basically Emil has two personalities and so Bosch switches between his usual voice and his higher pitched 'Renton' voice. This isn't a spoiler as it's revealed in the opening hour or so of the game.

Emil is a fast single swordsmen type, and has a lot of aerial based combos. From the games you've played, he his kind of like Lloyd, only with more ability to juggle enemies.

Cool, thanks. Sounds fun as someone who enjoyed playing Lloyd 98% of the time. The ability to juggle enemies sounds like something fun to experiment and play around with.

The Johnny Yong Bosch thing for ToS2 was just weird since I played Persona 4 right before ToS2. So I was expecting Marta to call Emil "Sempai" half the time or to yell the enemy's weakness.

Man, I had such a weird time playing P4 since I was still watching Bleach and playing DMC4 around that time. Everytime Yu would say "Persona!" I kept thinking I was playing as Ichigo or Nero.

FSLink

Banned
Anybody have a video (aka not Youtube) of the GC version of Tales of Symphonia at 60FPS? I used to have one along with one for the PS2 ToS off of Phantasia Production's old site but I can't find it anymore.

I'd record it myself but my Disk 1 of my Japanese ToS is back home. :(

Also it bugs me when I see gameplay footage and people are attacking using right+X, right+X, right+X, instead of right+X, right+X, neutral X with Lloyd since it does more hits with the latter. >.>

fates

I always thought Emil looked like Marche from FFTA. Figured he was gonna break Lloyd's legs and send him home.

mintylurb

Would love to get a demo of this to see how it feels to play in 30 fps...some games I can deal with that. Others not so much...

Yeah..30 fps in overworld, town i could take but 30 fps in battle? No..It really should be running at 120 fps with that level of graphics.

If they re-remaster it for the ps4, maybe it'll finally run at 60 fps at 720P ;/

MilkBeard

This port isn't looking too hot. I think I'm just going to wait for Xillia 2 to get my Tales fix. I had a hard time getting into Symphona back in the day anyway. Bought it on GC because I loved Destiny, but this one just didn't grab me. I will admit though that the music reminds me of Tales back in the day, it sounds reminiscent of Destiny. I kind of wish Sakuraba would go back to making the music like that.

Xenus

Asbel and Graces in general suffered a lot from
but but I don't want to kill him cause he's my friend.
My god about halfway through the game I was literally wanting to stab both him and Richard in throat for that. I felt like half the game was padding becuase of that. I think that's part of the reason I enjoyed Xillia more.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Man, I played this game like three times back on the Cube, but I can't bring myself to give this a shot. My patience for JRPGs just isn't there anymore I guess. I'm getting old.

FSLink

Banned
I really think I like the GCN English one the most. Don't care for either of the DotNW ones..

I do like that the beginning of it sounds like Golden Sun 2's overworld music.

Personally, I like Starry Heavens the most due to nostalgia.

Seda

Oh, I didn't have this in the OP, but the music in the boss battles of
Pronyma and Yggdrasil
is different in the PS2 version, as it's a remix of the opening theme.

I think that'll be the only 'music change' to English players.

FSLink

Banned
Pronyma and Yggdrasil

It was the case for the JPN GC version too wasn't it? Except it was a Starry Heavens instrumental.
Did they stick with the PS2 one for the collection?

ohlawd

Not sure. Probably.

That was just the first thing to come to mind when thinking about 'new' music.

So these two songs won't play for Pronyma and Yggrasil?

Prony

Yggy

You know, for the latter, aren't the 3 Yggdrasil battles that only times that song actually plays?

Pronyma and Yggdrasil

What the fuck. Does that mean no "It Can Waver and Fight?"

I need to sit down...

One of my rituals back in the day was to boot up that fight and equip everyone with the worst weapons, use an All-Divide, and beat the fight in 30-45 minutes with 1 damage per attack. I used to do it so many times, and the music made it all the better.

:(

FSLink

Banned
Yeah the Heroic songs I'm pretty sure that they played right before the
Final Yggdrasil's and 2nd Pronyma's
boss fights.....hard to find info on it thanks to Namco getting rid of the Tales of forums. :|

vvv : Yeah that sounds right, I do remember it actually playing during a boss fight.

Seda

Just checked it out on Youtube. It's before and during the
2nd Pronyma fight. Yggdrasil right after is still It Can Waver and Fight?

Levyne

Banned
What the fuck. Does that mean no "It Can Waver and Fight?"

I need to sit down...

One of my rituals back in the day was to boot up that fight and equip everyone with the worst weapons, use an All-Divide, and beat the fight in 30-45 minutes with 1 damage per attack. I used to do it so many times, and the music made it all the better.

:(

This re release can't do anything right!

Edit: Um. Nevermind.

Was the GC version 60fps? How about the Wii's sequel?

Than there's no excuse for this shoddy port. Really thinking of canceling my preorder. I actually preordered this but this is very disappointing.

Top Bottom