• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia confirmed for the PS2?

FoneBone

I don't think BB is the best source for info... anyway, while I bet the PS2 version will come to the US, I don't see much chance of it happening this year.

Auron

I wouldn't count on it. NOA will push to keep this title exclusive considering how popular it's becoming.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Old news. This was brought up on the tales forums at tales.namco.com , and Namco stated that there are NO plans to bring it over to the U.S. for the Ps2.

Hell, they still haven't released the Ps2 version in JAPAN. For that matter, it looks awful.

GaimeGuy

Are you sure you're looking at the Ps2 version? From the screens I've seen, it looks absolutely HORRIBLE compared to the GC version.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
It looks exactly like the GC version.
Nope, textures and IQ took a noticable hit from the shots we've got. I'll reserve full judgement until we get some high quality video but right now it looks like the PS2 version won't quite as good looking as it's GameCube cousin (though the extra content sorta balances things out imo).

jarrod said:
Nope, textures and IQ took a noticable hit from the shots we've got. I'll reserve full judgement until we get some high quality video but right now it looks like the PS2 version won't quite as good looking as it's GameCube cousin (though the extra content sorta balances things out imo).

w350-08.jpg

pic03_b.jpg

I'm not seeing a big IQ difference that you're pointing out.

GaimeGuy

A lot of screens you see were just taken from already done GC screens and pasted into the Ps2 section.

GaimeGuy said:
Please don't make me look up scans of the famitsu article. :|

And please don't tell us you're basing a games graphics off of scans instead of actual company released photos on its own website.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I think he means it's retarded to use scans from a magazine as a comparison, since scans aren't really a definitive source to compare screenshots

FoneBone

Drinky Crow said:
Say hello to another non-exclusive title for a dying console!
I'd say "severely struggling" rather than "dying," but for once I'm inclined to agree with Drinky's anti-Nintendo bias -- especially if it's actually selling out on GC, why wouldn't the PS2 version come here? So much denial.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'm not seeing a big IQ difference that you're pointing out.
Well then look harder. Here's some more...

pic01.jpg
pic03.jpg
pic05_b.jpg

w350-09.jpg
w350-22.jpg
w350-18.jpg

...doesn't seem like much of a big deal really, just a little jaggy around the edges and background textures in particular look a bit blurrier in the PS2 version. A good port though considering, Tales Studio isn't exactly a programming powerhouse. But the GC vesrion does have a slight edge visually so far imo.

GaimeGuy

Drinky Crow said:
Say hello to another non-exclusive title for a dying console!

I love how people have been saying GC is dying since launch, and that Nintendo is dying since the N64. It's almost as if people want Nintendo's games, but don't want to have to buy a GC to play them. :p

Stele

Holds a little red book
Drinky Crow said:
the purity is 100%; it's not 80%, nor 90%, but ONE-HUNNARD PERCENT IN YOUR FACE PURE HATE for your lame fanboy AZZ.
Oh, is that it? And here I thought it was some sadass attempt to look cool on an internet forum.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
GaimeGuy said:
I love how people have been saying GC is dying since launch, and that Nintendo is dying since the N64. It's almost as if people want Nintendo's games, but don't want to have to buy a GC to play them. :p

You just gotta learn to not take Drinky seriously. Guy's friends with MAF and has a daughter who sleeps with Xenogears. The dude's mind is broken.

jarrod said:
Well then look harder. Here's some more...

pic01.jpg
pic03.jpg
pic05_b.jpg

w350-09.jpg
w350-22.jpg
w350-18.jpg

...doesn't seem like much of a big deal really, just a little jaggy around the edges and background textures in particular look a bit blurrier in the PS2 version. A good port though considering, Tales Studio isn't exactly a programming powerhouse. But the GC vesrion does have a slight edge visually so far imo.

A couple of those screens you posted also appear on the GC website (exact same positions and everything).

akascream

Banned
It's not like the game is graphically amazing to start with. Load times might suck though.. areas are small making load times frequent. Hard to argue with extra content though.

EDIT: I, however, am grammatically amazing!

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
A couple of those screens you posted also appear on the GC website (exact same positions and everything).
Really, I didn't see them? Unless you mean some of the smaller unclickable screens? Would you mind posting them?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
tales-of-symphonia-20040615014406968.jpg

tales-of-symphonia-20040716053941979.jpg

tales-of-symphonia-20040716053942526.jpg

Its quite obvious that texture wise, PS2 suffered. Big blurry mess. But what would you expect, it couldnt even handle VJ without reducing quality.

Namco says its not coming to PS2 in the US anyway, so unless you can read japanese in a text and voice heavy RPG, i dont see why you should even keep hope, especially when you already have a gamecube, mr ssx, but of course, buying something on gamecube would be blasphemy for someone like you, especially when there's a doubt that it might go to your cherished platform, even if namco has said no numerous times :p

GDGF

Soothsayer
When a celshaded game is ported from the GCN to PS2, it does seem like the game takes a hit you can notice. I'd imagine that the reason lies in the method GCN uses for celshading games (it does have it's own unique method, as I have seen the patent) and when the game is ported, it's not optimized for PS2's rendering method. That is just a guess, though.

jarrod

Banned
It'll come to the US spring 2005 for $49 (probably alongside the PSP port of TOE for $39). That's my prediction anyway.... and ToR/ToD2/ToPGBA won't be coming at all.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Its quite obvious that texture wise, PS2 suffered

I suppose it is a result of being a port, because those textures are very low-res even for PS2 standards.

I don't think you can complain about image quality, though, as the GC version has some of the worst IQ you'll find on that system...

Buggy Loop said:
tales-of-symphonia-20040615014406968.jpg

tales-of-symphonia-20040716053941979.jpg

tales-of-symphonia-20040716053942526.jpg

Its quite obvious that texture wise, PS2 suffered. Big blurry mess. But what would you expect, it couldnt even handle VJ without reducing quality.

Namco says its not coming to PS2 in the US anyway, so unless you can read japanese in a text and voice heavy RPG, i dont see why you should even keep hope, especially when you already have a gamecube, mr ssx, but of course, buying something on gamecube would be blasphemy for someone like you, especially when there's a doubt that it might go to your cherished platform, even if namco has said no numerous times :p

I knew someone would post those...Look at the GC version when you make the pics bigger than they should be.

tos09.jpg

tos14.jpg

tos23.jpg

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SolidSnakex said:
I knew someone would post those...Look at the GC version when you make the pics bigger than they should be.

tos09.jpg

tos14.jpg

tos23.jpg
SSX - You may have a point, but I don't think the piss-poor textures in those PS2 screens come from upsampling. Your comparably-sized GC shots still look much better.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
The first PS2 shot (showing off the new area) wasn't blown up though iirc, Namco released high res versions of those and they all looked awful (even in comparison to the other PS2 shots). Extreme jaggies and lower quality textures all around but really, like I said before, I think we have to wait for some high quality videos before making a final judgement.

dark10x

Deg said:
GC screenshots are always shit so you cant take them seriously.

Ohh, but PS2 shots are good? Ha, don't make me laugh...

Unless they are doctored, most PS2 shots look like ass. Tales of Symphonia's GC shots aren't going to look very good anyways as the damn game doesn't support 480p (damn you Namco).

Culex

Banned
Porting Cell-shaded games from GC to PS2, you notice the difference. However, games that are made solely for the PS2, the cell-shading is top notch. Odd.

dark10x

Culex said:
Porting Cell-shaded games from GC to PS2, you notice the difference. However, games that are made solely for the PS2, the cell-shading is top notch. Odd.

I don't think it has anything to do with cel-shading, though. It just so happens that two recent examples have been cel-shaded games. The fact of the matter is, PS2 is simply too different and porting is going to be tough.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Culex said:
Well, that would make sense, as a game built for the PS2 hardware would almost certainly look better than one that was ported over from the GC.

Top Bottom