• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia confirmed for the PS2?

NWO

Bluemercury said:
What does the PS2 version have in addition to the GC version content?

Load times, jaggies, bugs galore, and everything else you'd expect from a PS2 game. :p

jarrod

Banned
NWO said:
Load times, jaggies, bugs galore, and everything else you'd expect from a PS2 game. :p
On a more serious note, I think there's extra subquests/items, more skits and an additional animated cutscene.

Tritroid

This is sort of off topic, but for those of you who have played Tales of Phantasia, is it possible to rename the characters?

Miburou

jarrod said:
I didn't realize the word "exclusive" was in NWO's joke? :p

If it's something that "you'd expect from a PS2 game" and isn't in the GC version, then doesn't that imply that it's mainly a "PS2 thing"? Maybe there's a joke in your post that I'm missing...

Anyway, jaggies and long load times (and low-res textures) are pretty much more or less a PS2 thing, so "bugs galore" does seem out of place to me.

SantaC

Why do the GC owners exclusive games always come out to the PS2? It's not like the GC owners ever get any exclusives from PS2. Only crap multiplatform games.

Resident Evil 4 is the only GC exclusive 3rd party game I can think of that wont reach PS2.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SantaCruZer said:
Why do the GC owners exclusive games always come out to the PS2? It's not like the GC owners ever get any exclusives from PS2. Only crap multiplatform games.

Resident Evil 4 is the only GC exclusive 3rd party game I can think of that wont reach PS2.

Ask yourself this, though...

Why does it even matter? Seriously, what's the problem? It isn't as if these games are being downgraded for multiplatform release. They are still being designed from the ground up for GC...and that's all that is important.

Link316

Banned
SantaCruZer said:

if you were running one of these companies, why would you want to willingly sacrifice thousands of extra sales if there was no reason or incentive to?

jarrod

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
Well, there's a few more...

-Amazing Island (Sega/Ancient)
-Baten Kaitos: Lost Wings (Namco/Monolith Soft)
-Beach Spikers: Virtua Beach Volleyball (Sega/Sega AM2)
-Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Bomberman Generation (Hudson)
-Chibi Robo (Bandai/Skip)
-Disney All-Star Sports Line (Konami/KCEO)
-Disney's Hide & Sneak (Capcom)
-Disney's Party (EA/Hudson/Tose)
-Dokapon DX (Asmik Ace)
-Dragon Drive: D Masters Shot (Bandai/Treasure)
-Famista 2003 (Namco)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)
-From TV Animation: One Piece Treasure Battle! (Bandai)
-Go! Go! Hypergrind (Atlus/Racdym)
-Gotcha Force (Capcom)
-GT Cube (XS Games/MTO)
-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (Natsume/Marvelous/Marucome)
-Hikaru no Go 3 (Konami/KCEJ)
-Home Land (Chun Soft)
-Homerun King (Sega/Wow Entertainment)
-Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senshitachi no Kiseki (Bandai)
-Lost Kingdoms (Activision/From Software)
-Lost Kingdoms II (Activision/From Software)
-Lupin III: Umi ni Kieta Hihou (Asmik Ace)
-MegaMan Network Transmission (Capcom/Arika)
-MetaBots Infinity (Natsume/Marvelous)
-Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Konami/KCEJ/Silicon Knights)
-Mr Driller: DrillLand (Namco)
-Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! (Tomy/Eighting)
-Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 2 (Tomy/Eighting)
-Odama (Vivarium)
-Phantasy Star Online Episode III: CARD Revolution (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Product Number 03 (Capcom)
-Resident Evil(Capcom)
-Resident Evil 0(Capcom)
-Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
-Road Trip: Arcade Edition (Conspiracy/Takara)
-Shaman King: Soul Fight (Bandai)
-Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (LucasArts/Factor 5)
-Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (LucasArts/Factor 5)
-Super Monkey Ball (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Super Monkey Ball 2 (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Swingerz Golf (Eidos/Nihon Telenet)
-Tube Slider: The GP of Future Formula (NEC Interchannel/NdCube)
-Unity (Lionhead/Lama Soft)
-Virtua Striker 2002 (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-WWE Day of Reckoning (THQ/Yukes)
-WWE WrestleMania X8 (THQ/Yukes)
-WWE WrestleMania XIX (THQ/Yukes)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom (Konami/KCEJ)
-Zoids: Battle Legends (Atari/Tomy)
-Zoids VS II (Tomy)
-Zoids VS III (Tomy)

...nothing really too exciting though imo. I'd say some (BK, Monkey Ball) seem likely for PS2 ports as well...

SantaC

dark10x said:
Ask yourself this, though...

Why does it even matter? Seriously, what's the problem? It isn't as if these games are being downgraded for multiplatform release. They are still being designed from the ground up for GC...and that's all that is important.

I asked myself, and you got a point, but it's not like I am the only one with that opinion. The Gamecube is doing poor, and I support it. Now if the Gamecube was doing well i wouldn't worry.

jarrod

Banned
Link316 said:
if you were running one of these companies, why would you want to willingly sacrifice thousands of extra sales if there was no reason or incentive to?
Are you saying Capcom's not getting any "incentives" for RE4? ;)

SantaC

jarrod said:
Well, there's a few more...

-Amazing Island (Sega/Ancient)
-Baten Kaitos: Lost Wings (Namco/Monolith Soft)
-Beach Spikers: Virtua Beach Volleyball (Sega/Sega AM2)
-Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Bomberman Generation (Hudson)
-Chibi Robo (Bandai/Skip)
-Disney All-Star Sports Line (Konami/KCEO)
-Disney's Hide & Sneak (Capcom)
-Disney's Party (EA/Hudson/Tose)
-Dokapon DX (Asmik Ace)
-Dragon Drive: D Masters Shot (Bandai/Treasure)
-Famista 2003 (Namco)
-Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles (Square Enix)
-From TV Animation: One Piece Treasure Battle! (Bandai)
-Go! Go! Hypergrind (Atlus/Racdym)
-Gotcha Force (Capcom)
-GT Cube (XS Games/MTO)
-Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (Natsume/Marvelous/Marucome)
-Hikaru no Go 3 (Konami/KCEJ)
-Home Land (Chun Soft)
-Homerun King (Sega/Wow Entertainment)
-Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senshitachi no Kiseki (Bandai)
-Lost Kingdoms (Activision/From Software)
-Lost Kingdoms II (Activision/From Software)
-Lupin III: Umi ni Kieta Hihou (Asmik Ace)
-MegaMan Network Transmission (Capcom/Arika)
-MetaBots Infinity (Natsume/Marvelous)
-Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Konami/KCEJ/Silicon Knights)
-Mr Driller: DrillLand (Namco)
-Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! (Tomy/Eighting)
-Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 2 (Tomy/Eighting)
-Odama (Vivarium)
-Phantasy Star Online Episode III: CARD Revolution (Sega/Sonic Team)
-Product Number 03 (Capcom)
-Resident Evil(Capcom)
-Resident Evil 0(Capcom)
-Resident Evil 4 (Capcom)
-Road Trip: Arcade Edition (Conspiracy/Takara)
-Shaman King: Soul Fight (Bandai)
-Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II (LucasArts/Factor 5)
-Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike (LucasArts/Factor 5)
-Super Monkey Ball (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Super Monkey Ball 2 (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-Swingerz Golf (Eidos/Nihon Telenet)
-Tube Slider: The GP of Future Formula (NEC Interchannel/NdCube)
-Unity (Lionhead/Lama Soft)
-Virtua Striker 2002 (Sega/Amusement Vision)
-WWE Day of Reckoning (THQ/Yukes)
-WWE WrestleMania X8 (THQ/Yukes)
-WWE WrestleMania XIX (THQ/Yukes)
-Yu-Gi-Oh! The Falsebound Kingdom (Konami/KCEJ)
-Zoids: Battle Legends (Atari/Tomy)
-Zoids VS II (Tomy)
-Zoids VS III (Tomy)

...nothing really too exciting though imo. I'd say some (BK, Monkey Ball) seem likely for PS2 ports as well...

ah you must really like to own me since you did that list just for me. haha ;) good work jarrod. I was owned.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
dark10x said:
Yo jarrod, how about a PS2 list in the same fashion?

/rolleyes

Yay, lets make another list war thats totally off topic. What would it bring Dark10x, a list bigger than the other and then say "HAR HAR HAR, Ps2 rulx0rs!1" ? Seriously, what would it bring?

dark10x

Buggy Loop said:
/rolleyes

Yay, lets make another list war thats totally off topic. What would it bring Dark10x, a list bigger than the other and then say "HAR HAR HAR, Ps2 rulx0rs!1" ? Seriously, what would it bring?

Something to copy into notepad and save on my hard drive for later. Seriously. I kind of figured that he would be able to toss that together quickly and now was the time to ask. I have a list for XBOX and now a list for GC.

Man, you really need to settle down and drop this agenda stuff. Must everything be a worthless console war? /HUGE rolleyes + barfy rolleyes * 20

dark10x

jarrod said:
I'd do an XBox list myself, but I'm not knowledgable enough to weed out the PC ports offhand. :/

Ha ha, there really are a LOT of PC ports on XBOX, you aren't kidding.

I'd also be interested to see a Dreamcast list, actually. I have a feeling that would be quite small, but I'd like to know for sure.

I might try to put together a DC list, but I agree, the PS2 list would probably be too much work (which is why I was hoping you had one handy).

jarrod

Banned
A DC list probably wouldn't be too bad, though yeah I think we'd be surprised by the relatively small number of exclusives it actually ended up having.

How about a list of games that made it to all four platforms?

-Capcom Vs SNK 2/EO
-Crazy Taxi (kinda)
-Puyo Puyo Fever
-Shikigami no Shiro II
-Sega Sports NBA 2K2

...anything else?

dark10x

jarrod said:
A DC list probably wouldn't be too bad, though yeah I think we'd be surprised by the relatively small number of exclusives it actually ended up having.

How about a list of games that made it to all four platforms?

-Capcom Vs SNK 2/EO
-Crazy Taxi (kinda)
-Puyo Puyo Fever
-Shikigami no Shiro II
-Sega Sports NBA 2K2

...anything else?

Whoa, now that could be tough...lemme think about it...

SantaCruZer said:

Because they don't sell well enough. NAMCO put a 500k target on ToS in Japan and it didn't clear it. If it did clear it then chances are you wouldn't see a port right now (as shown by ToD2 which exceeded NAMCO's expectations and is still a PS2 exclusive).

Gruco

Banned
I'm finding this "slightly enhanced port" trend to be quite a bit annoying! At least, now that it involves games I care about....

Two things I hope they change for the PS2 version: Give you more incentive to do some of the smaller side quests by giving you items or a title and also, change the fact that some side quests disappear completely after a certain point.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The sidequests come back actually. From what I have read near the end of the game they "turn off", but once you get to the last area and retrieve
some stone from the puzzle before the door with the big dragon
you can leave the last area and all the side-quests are open again.

MrCheez said:
The sidequests come back actually. From what I have read near the end of the game they "turn off", but once you get to the last area and retrieve
some stone from the puzzle before the door with the big dragon
you can leave the last area and all the side-quests are open again.

Uh oh! I just let some one borrow my game, and he usually takes about 3 months to finish an RPG. Oh well....

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Buggy Loop said:
They'll probably find a way to put Dante somewhere in there, seems to be the trend.

I wish that trend was in full effect when they were selecting extra characters for Soul Calibur 2.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Because they don't sell well enough. NAMCO put a 500k target on ToS in Japan and it didn't clear it. If it did clear it then chances are you wouldn't see a port right now (as shown by ToD2 which exceeded NAMCO's expectations and is still a PS2 exclusive).
Funny that Xenosaga missing it's sales targets didn't result in quick GC/XBox ports. And that goes double for Xenosaga II...

jarrod said:
Funny that Xenosaga missing it's sales targets didn't result in quick GC/XBox ports. And that goes double for Xenosaga II...

Same could be said about Baten Kaitos. Monolith seems to be on their own as they said that after Xenosaga 2 they were going to look into making games for other companies.

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:

ToD2 was expected to sell a million but it didn't.

Where's that 1 million prediction at? I remember seeing ones for ToS and BK but never one for ToD2, and certainly not for 1million.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Same could be said about Baten Kaitos. Monolith seems to be on their own as they said that after Xenosaga 2 they were going to look into making games for other companies.
I'm a little surprised as all Monolith's games have underperformed in Japan to be honest. Sales targets for Xenosaga were 800k iirc (it managed 500k) and Xensaga II & Baten Kaitos were both expected to be 500k (they managed around 230k and 80k respectively iirc). Xenosaga was saved by it's strong US sales though (which seems to be happening to TOS GC to a degree also) so there's a little hope left for Xeno2 & BK but it looks grim imo... I wonder if Namco might sell off their investment in Monolith?

Why was BK even expected to sell 500k to begin with? NAMCO was expecting that from Tales and Xeno which are established series and yet they expect the same from a new game that alot of people view as a cardgame? That really made no sense. BK should've been 150k at the most.

I wouldn't be surprised if NAMCO sold their investment in Monolith. Sell it to Square. :p That's where the Xeno team works best.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Where's that 1 million prediction at? I remember seeing ones for ToS and BK but never one for ToD2, and certainly not for 1million.
Well, those 500k predictions came from MagicBox (who also said Namco expected 200k for Katamari Damacy, 300k for Racing Evolution, 300k for Moto GP3 and 300k for Time Crisis 3). I think all those numbers are a little suspect, especially as Namco hailed Katamari as smashing expectations (when it sold just over 100k).

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Why was BK even expected to sell 500k to begin with? NAMCO was expecting that from Tales and Xeno which are established series and yet they expect the same from a new game that alot of people view as a cardgame? That really made no sense. BK should've been 150k at the most.
Yeah, everybody knew BK wouldn't come close to 500k. That one was Capcom level insane.

SolidSnakex said:
I wouldn't be surprised if NAMCO sold their investment in Monolith. Sell it to Square. :p That's where the Xeno team works best.
Yep, I think Monolith would definitely fit best best with Square Enix... it might make up for GameArts slipping out of their grasp.

Top Bottom