• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
Milla is really weird with her ability setup. That'll take some getting used to. I like magic having two modes based on whether you tap or hold the button though.

Also loving the field chat or whatever it's called, even if Milla is only talking to herself so far.

Not really understanding exactly how AC works yet, but I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

? What don't you get so far about AC? It's quite literally deducted for every action you do. You can regain some through critical hits. Seems like you also gain more than the starting AC. IE I was able to stock up to 8 even though I started off with 4.

And yes, Milla is very unorthodox haha... One thing folks seem to be trying to figure out (myself included) is if you can do the charge magic artes with the right stick. It seems hit and miss to me.

Why don't you stop by the IRC chan? Although it's not very active and not too many folks, but it makes for easier discussion :eek: So far only me, netto and Xero there for familiars/gaffers.

Aeana

kiryogi said:
? What don't you get so far about AC? It's quite literally deducted for every action you do. You can regain some through critical hits. Seems like you also gain more than the starting AC. IE I was able to stock up to 8 even though I started off with 4.

And yes, Milla is very unorthodox haha... One thing folks seem to be trying to figure out (myself included) is if you can do the charge magic artes with the right stick. It seems hit and miss to me.
Well, it's mostly from being unable to experiment. The battles literally end in one attack so I haven't been able to play around with it yet. The in-game tutorials haven't really been all that helpful, I just need to mess around myself.

Aeana

The lilial orb system works completely differently from how I imagined. I didn't watch the system video about it since I just sort of assumed it would be like the sphere grid. Interesting.

Aeana

I've only just finished the prologue, saw the intro. So far I'm not sure what to think except that it looks tons, tons better in motion on my TV than I expected. I need more time with the combat to decide one way or another.

Xena

matmanx1 said:
Lik NCS charged me $599 also. I've already gotten my Paypal statement so it's a done deal. So much for passing along the savings, eh? I'll send them an email. I bet its just a mistake.
With all due respect, but I kinda think it's shady of them if they did send out emails mentioning reducing the price.

But then again, it's the same store from which I bought my lightning edition and bumped the price one week before release due to a "limited supply" (even though I had it pre ordered the first they the put it up for pre order months before release).

LiK

seabee said:
With all due respect, but I kinda think it's shady of them if they did send out emails mentioning reducing the price.

But then again, it's the same store from which I bought my lightning edition and bumped the price one week before release due to a "limited supply" (even though I had it pre ordered the first they the put it up for pre order months before release).

not a big deal, but it would be nice if they replied and say they weren't able to reduce it or something.

pancakesandsex said:
Same. What the fuck.
It's an error somewhere.

Earlier from Play-asia
grm0z.png

Now on Play-Asia
Psu0g.png

Currently on UPS
Vsy4v.png

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
I've only just finished the prologue, saw the intro. So far I'm not sure what to think except that it looks tons, tons better in motion on my TV than I expected. I need more time with the combat to decide one way or another.
I probably spent like 45 mins on the prologue exploring and looking around. This is definitely the case of it looking soooo much better in motion/person. Abyss honestly had the same reactions when they moved from Symphonia's celshading for its screenshots.

Shouta

Aeana said:
The lilial orb system works completely differently from how I imagined. I didn't watch the system video about it since I just sort of assumed it would be like the sphere grid. Interesting.

It works like Tales of Destiny Remake's grids more than anything which means it's pretty straightforward. Skills and Artes are distributed around the board so you have to experiment with opening up sections to see what ones you want.

AC is pretty simple btw, it's more or less the same as CC, every action deducts from it, critical strikes or so increase the gauge temporarily. The more you critical or so the higher the gauge goes up. You'll know when you get a boost to your AC because a small little message will pop up when you strike a foe.

TP is pretty easy to gain in this because of a lot of skills you get that help to reduce TP usage or increase TP gain from combos. Artes into normal combo strings has an increased gain in TP either normally or with a skill (just woke up so I don't recall exactly) while Normal Combos into Artes reduces the TP cost of the Artes or so. I'll check the library and confirm it in a little.

Dark Schala said:
Well, that's quite a statement. I hope it holds up to Graces F's standards, at least...

I want a Jude charm. :3

I got a Jude Charm myself, basic version of him in his outfit.

And so far, I like this battle system more than Graces if comparing it them with the same amount of time put in. Who knows in the end though.

Comparatively, it feels a bit more orthodox than Graces for a Tales game, moving kind of like a Team Symphonia game but it's a little more layered like a Team Destiny Game. Proper

Use of Link Artes is really important on Hard for a first timer and properly using the Link System's bonuses is really help as well. Each of the characters have a specialty and you can use it when you link. For example, Milla's ability is Bind which allows her to freeze some an enemy sometimes allowing you to beat up on them for free for a little. Alvin's skil is a Guard break and Jude's is Restore. In fact, Jude's ability is mega helpful because if Jude has a certain level of HP/TP when he creates a link with a character, he'll restore a portion of their HP and TP. This game in handy when I fought the first major boss after I got my 4th character.

The various characters have neat systems to them as well. Alvin has a charge attack that changes his Artes and normal attacks for a short while, Milla supposedly has that charge for her attacks, and Elize has a Tippo On/Off mode that changes her strengths in battle either powering up her magic or artes causing them to change their properties just a tad.

Reveirg

Aeana said:
It's definitely 2012. It's just a matter of when in 2012 - probably February.

That seems kind of optimistic. Most estimates I've read talked about summer 2012.

They have to be careful not to release it too soon after FFXIII-2...

(Or they could pull a SEGA, a.k.a. releasing Resonance of Fate on the SAME DAY as FFXIII >_>)

MechaX

Kagari said:
Just got Alvin. Really liking the battle system so far... seems a lot more fluid than Graces F was.

Jeezus, I might as well just import Xillia before Graces F comes out.
IF it will still come out...

Aeana

I understand AC now. I read the in-game tutorial and I guess in the context of that it seemed like there had to be more to it, but I guess there isn't. And yeah, TP doesn't bother me as much as in Symphonia games so far. We'll see how it goes. I can say that post-prologue, Milla isn't fun to control at all. Now I kind of wish I started as Jude. I had assumed they would have separate stories for much longer, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Oh well, not a big deal since I can just control someone else anyway.

I just met Alvin, and he totally looks like he stepped out of Eternal Sonata. Looks pretty fancy for a mercenary.

Shouta

Alvin is pretty sweet, I like his character and his fighting style is fairly rare for a Tales character, a big swinging bruiser. It's somewhat refreshing too because he's the opposite of Hubert in play style.

kiryogi

Banned
Shouta said:
Alvin is pretty sweet, I like his character and his fighting style is fairly rare for a Tales character, a big swinging bruiser. It's somewhat refreshing too because he's the opposite of Hubert in play style.

Barely got to touch Alvin, but although he has the traditional swordsman moveset so far. He's slooow, but powerful. I really like his charge moves too. I thought he wouldn't be as handy since he was so clunky, but doesn't seem like the case thus far.

I saw the options for the Grade Shop, some of them are really weird. Like the one that lets you
go into a ng+ with HALF your level at the end

My copy has been out of Japan for hours now, so over the week-end it'll fly over here and I should have it Monday morning.

Regarding Grades, can someone tell me how you can gain them here? I saw Aeana talking about title giving you Grades, but can someone be a bit more specific?

Shouta

Yeah, he has big swings and a few really quick attacks in his normal string, using his gun, that helps. I'm almost certain a few of his swings hit multiple enemies which can be helpful at times.

Aeana

Shop build seems kind of simple. Is it the only way shops get new inventory, though? That might suck if so.

Shouta

InternHertz said:
I saw the options for the Grade Shop, some of them are really weird. Like the one that let you
go into a ng+ with HALF your level at the end

My copy has been out of Japan for hours now, so over the week-end it'll fly over here and I should have it Monday morning.

Regarding Grades, can someone tell me how you can gain them here? I saw Aeana talking about title giving you Grades, but can someone be a bit more specific?

The more titles you get, the more grade points you receive as far as I can tell. I think they wanted to remove it from the battle side so that even players that weren't very good with the battle system could accumulate grade and not lose it either.

Shouta

Aeana said:
Shop build seems kind of simple. Is it the only way shops get new inventory, though? That might suck if so.

Yes, it's the only way to do so but it's rather nice actually. Money seems to be rather tight in this game on the whole so what you can do is build a shop up to get new equipment and if it's too expensive, build it up further so that the gear you want comes at a reduced price. Very very handy.

You get a lot of stuff on the field and from battle to build shops so it's pretty well balanced so far.

Went on YouTube just to check out the
Hi-Ougis/Mystic Artes for the cast...they're kinda lame. Graces had much more showstopping "holy shit this is about to HURT" presentations IMO, especially Asbel.

kiryogi

Banned
AlphaDragoon said:
Went on YouTube just to check out the
Hi-Ougis/Mystic Artes for the cast...they're kinda lame. Graces had much more showstopping "holy shit this is about to HURT" presentations IMO, especially Asbel.
That's the difference between the presentation for TD/TS unfortunately. TD hiougis are short but fast and very visceral.

kiryogi said:
That's the difference between the presentation for TD/TS unfortunately. TD hiougis are short but fast and very visceral.

I thought TD made both of them, my bad.
Typically Team Symphonia makes the big showstopper moves, Vesperia's looked pretty boss as did Abyss's so I though Xillia was a TD affair, who opts for the quick less flashy option (most times, Asbel's were sick as hell). Surprising that a Team Symphonia game would have lame Hi-Ougis.

DMPrince said:
It's an error somewhere.

Earlier from Play-asia
grm0z.png

Now on Play-Asia
Psu0g.png

Currently on UPS
Vsy4v.png

Yeah, I have the same thing on my tracking. Let's hope it's just some random tracking error and not something that will mess with the actual delivery.

MechaX

kiryogi said:

To be honest, Xillia seemed to go more of the TD route with their hi ougis/mystic artes (Cut-ins in the beginning rather than the end, the attacks themselves mostly being short but still painful looking). Unfortunately, TD titles typically have more than one hi-ougi per character, each being more over the top than the last, while Xillia seems to only have one (maybe two) per character.

Aeana

kiryogi said:
Hehe did you see my comment about how it's sort of an evolution on Finishing Strikes?
I didn't see that, but I guess the link gauge part kind of is.

Wind lance + 魔神拳 makes a pretty cool combo.

FSLink

Banned
mTPaT.jpg

Got the Cless version of Jude.

Just got Link Artes as well...daaaamn, this game is amazing, I actually kind of like the pace of battles a bit better than Graces (outside of running out of TP at times, damn you Team Symphonia. /shakes fist)
Loving using Demonic Chaos with Alvin's Demon Fang and Jude's Demon Fist. :D

LiK

matmanx1 said:
I think they probably won't until next week. They seem to be sort of a 9-5 Monday-Friday kind of outfit.

usually every email i send them gets a reply within 10-30 minutes. maybe they were busy.

kiryogi

Banned
LiK said:
usually every email i send them gets a reply within 10-30 minutes. maybe they were busy.
MatMan's right actually. You won't hear from them again until next week probably. They're strictly 9-5 EST.

Aeana

I've been waiting for the game to explain this to me, but it hasn't yet. What's up with the "chain chance!" that shows up sometimes when doing link artes?

FSLink

Banned
Aeana said:
I've been waiting for the game to explain this to me, but it hasn't yet. What's up with the "chain chance!" that shows up sometimes when doing link artes?
It'll explain it to you in a bit, but you basically can chain one link arte after another when the meter's full, and you can switch partners while chaining as well. It's quite fun.

Anybody try to see if the link artes work in multiplayer?

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
The game will explain it, but the general idea is that when it shows up, quickly execute the next art (connected to a link arte) and it will automatically chain without you having to trigger it with R2.

LiK

kiryogi said:
MatMan's right actually. You won't hear from them again until next week probably. They're strictly 9-5 EST.
Nah, I got replies from them around 6-7pm before.

Aeana

At one point I accidentally got Judo and Alvin linked up by pressing dpad buttons even though I'm controlling Milla. Can't figure out how I did it, though.

EDIT: Actually looking at the tactics menu explained this one to me. Derp.

Aeana

I was a little worried about what Milla would be like based on her character description. I expected spoiled princess. I expected retreads of Luke scenarios from Abyss (what do you mean, I have to pay money ??). So far that hasn't been the case. However...
apparently she doesn't eat and doesn't know what hunger is. That's almost kinda worse.

EDIT: Just got introduced to the auto item system.
Gambits are the best thing FF12 gave to the world. Although I would have preferred gambit-driven cooking again.

Shouta

Aeana said:
I was a little worried about what Milla would be like based on her character description. I expected spoiled princess. I expected retreads of Luke scenarios from Abyss (what do you mean, I have to pay money ??). So far that hasn't been the case. However...
apparently she doesn't eat and doesn't know what hunger is. That's almost kinda worse.

Gambits are the best thing FF12 gave to the world. Although I would have preferred gambit-driven cooking again.

Well, there is a reason why she's like that. =x

Aeana

Shouta said:
Well, there is a reason why she's like that. =x
I know the reason! She said it right in the same scene. It's just... well, I guess there are certain tropes that get to me more than others.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:

Funny. I never ever expected another Luke based off her description, what I expected and what's shown really, is that she's a real weirdo.

FSLink

Banned
So wait, link artes automatically puts human players on auto? Whaaaat, I was looking forward to doing cool link arte stuff with friends. :(

Aeana

I started a new game as Jude just to see how the story differs from his perspective. Honestly, I think the whole introductory scenario makes a lot more sense from his perspective than Milla's. Also, I really like playing as him. Love his backstep/teleport move.

Top Bottom