• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There's no shop still selling the Asian copies for a decent price, right? >_<

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I'm considering changing my shipping for FFType-0 to express as a result of this, even if I'll have to pay the brokerage customs fees (can be $9-20, depending on what's ordered, which includes HST) if UPS (though I heard they're the worst!) or FedEx are chosen... But I think it's being released around midterms, so I probably won't be playing it until I'm finished with those. Hm. Oh well, it's a while off still.

Stuff from P-A generally takes about 1-2 weeks to get here, so it isn't awful. I just get impatient sometimes, especially when hype is built up and spoilers are running rampant various corners of the Internet.

kiryogi said:
To note morning folks, the stream is STILL running :D

http://www.twitch.tv/teakdoc
Well, a little peek won't hurt. The aesthetics are really nice this time around.

And that's it for me, I think. I saw a skit pop up, and while I really like the character portraits, I don't want to ruin skit and exposition stuff... How long has this guy been playing for, anyway?

kiryogi

Banned
Dark Schala said:
Yeah, I'm considering changing my shipping for FFType-0 to express as a result of this, even if I'll have to pay the brokerage customs fees (can be $9-20, depending on what's ordered, which includes HST) if UPS (though I heard they're the worst!) or FedEx are chosen... But I think it's being released around midterms, so I probably won't be playing it until I'm finished with those. Hm. Oh well, it's a while off still.

Stuff from P-A generally takes about 1-2 weeks to get here, so it isn't awful. I just get impatient sometimes, especially when hype is built up and spoilers are running rampant various corners of the Internet.

Well, a little peek won't hurt. The aesthetics are really nice this time around.

And that's it for me, I think. I saw a skit pop up, and while I really like the character portraits, I don't want to ruin skit and exposition stuff... How long has this guy been playing for, anyway?
25 hours or so. Reached halfway or 2/3 point just now.

Aeana said:
Proof I'm still a child:

KNNTC.png
i giggled

ENTHUSIASM

i don't know why i'm checking my tracking when i know it'll be updated tonight. lol.

matmanx1

Just got my email from NCS and they are not receiving the X Editions until tomorrow. They did allow me to upgrade to Saturday deilvery though which was only $17 more than the overnight charge. Not having the shiny new PS3 tomorrow will be a slight downer but I'm ok with Saturday as I am off all weekend.

Takuhi

Argh, my Ebten DX Pack arrived at Tenso Thursday morning Japan time and their little calendar thing says they won't re-ship it out till Monday. WTF! Does anyone use Tenso? Why don't they ship on Fridays?

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
Proof I'm still a child:

KNNTC.png

Nothing wrong with being a child at heart!

This email has been sent to inform you that your order, has been updated to a status of Shipped.
Order Details
Order Number:
Order Date: 6/2/2011 3:28 PM
Shipping Method: USPS Express Mail
Tracking Number(s):
Payment Method: Credit card payment
Product Information
Product Name Part No. Quantity Item Price Total Price
Tales of Xillia
BCJS-10120 1 $98.90 $98.90
Subtotal: $98.90
Shipping & Handling: $34.88
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $133.78

Huzzah~!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
kiryogi said:
25 hours or so. Reached halfway or 2/3 point just now.
Huh. Xillia's supposed to be 50 hours or so, so I guess he's speeding through it...

And now that I'm not feeling so grouchy... ENTHUSIASM! My boyfriend decided to order the LE OST for himself since he couldn't resist (he likes Sakuraba too much). so that'll be nice since I'm not getting it.

InternHertz said:
The trophies popped up on PS3trophies.org.

The lack of real numbers is a bit upsetting (descriptions for the trophies don't give how much you need, they only tell you to get "the most" of whatever that trophy is)

I'd say that most of them won't be that hard to get (it could take a long time however).
The fact there are 2 playable characters/story is making me wonder how completing
monsters, items, subevents etc
at 100% will be handled.
Do you get to keep everything you managed to record in the first story when you decide to play with the other chracter, or is everything obtainable in both parts.
You'd better be able to keep everything when you play as the other character on a new playthrough through grade or something... The trophies don't seem too bad. Graces' trophies were pretty manageable (at least, more manageable than Vesperia's), so I expected Xillia's trophies to follow suit.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Dark Schala said:
The trophies don't seem too bad. Graces' trophies were pretty manageable (at least, more manageable than Vesperia's), so I expected Xillia's trophies to follow suit.

Do Graces and Xillia still have those secret missions in boss fights that Vesperia had?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jucksalbe said:
Do Graces and Xillia still have those secret missions in boss fights that Vesperia had?
Nope! :D (edit: beaten)

With Xillia, there doesn't seem to be secret missions. But
some of the trophies have to do with getting 100% subevents, 100% skits, 100% items, getting all treasure chests in the game (yeouch!), getting a really high encounter number (think how many total encounters you have), etc
. There seems to be no
boss or difficulty-related trophies

With regards to the
"get/use a really high number of ____" you have to get for a trophy, they're really vague and don't specify a number...
so these ones could be hard.

Not sure what the VIP stuff is, though. I wasn't really paying attention to that aspect. Is it similar to Graces'
stamp program
?

And going by the trophies, you may have to clear this game twice
(ie: one playthrough with Milla and one playthrough with Jude)
in order to go for the platinum...

Well i'm glad there won't be any secret missions.
Some of them were too easy and others way too hard IMO considering that tales of game should be ( IMO ) about batling the way you want ..

i'm for some spécial skits/ dialogs during some key scenes ( or key battles ) but tiying them to trophies is something i didn't enjoy ..i'm glad they aren't there anymore.

Aeana

Mine still says by 10:30 AM tomorrow. I admit I am quite skeptical about it. It'll be interesting to see if it actually happens. But it's definitely been in flight for like 10 hours now or something.

My PS3 is shipped.

As I understand it I need to open it and look at the psu directly or something to see if it's multivoltage right? The outside label will lie and say 110v even if it is?

Aeana said:
Mine still says by 10:30 AM tomorrow. I admit I am quite skeptical about it. It'll be interesting to see if it actually happens. But it's definitely been in flight for like 10 hours now or something.
we'll find out tomorrow! maybe they just saying monday. i might call them up on saturday and see if they have it in the local facility as they don't ship on weekends for me and pick it up then.

matmanx1

Sir_Crocodile said:
My PS3 is shipped.

As I understand it I need to open it and look at the psu directly or something to see if it's multivoltage right? The outside label will lie and say 110v even if it is?

I didn't have to change any voltage setting on my Lightning Edition so I'm not sure why this one would be any different. It's Europe that uses the different voltage specs for wall outlets and not Japan, I thought?

And yeah, my email from NCS said they weren't receiving their shipment of X Edition PS3's until tomorrow so the earliest they could get the console out to me would be Saturday. Email them and ask them to change you to Saturday delivery, it was only $17.50-ish more to go that route for me.

Shouta

Played a little more after I posted last night and I got a feel for how the link system works, I think it's a prety sweet addition s far. You can swap Links whenever in battle by using the D-Pad and linking with different characters provides unique normal attack combinations and often unique abilities like Milla paralyzing an enemy on occasion or Alvin breaking the enemies' guard if they use it often. Link arts are also different depending on who you pair up even if you're using the same basic Artes. The linked character also provides coverage against enemies attacking from behind to boot.

I got a short air combo going already using a Link specific normal attack set and some aerial melee strikes. Playing it on hard makes sure the enemies don't die before I can do it, heh.

Dark Schala said:
The trophies don't seem too bad. Graces' trophies were pretty manageable (at least, more manageable than Vesperia's), so I expected Xillia's trophies to follow suit.
Yeah most of them should not be hard to get, it's just a time sinker at best.

I got all trophies for Vesperia and for Graces f, and I plan on obtaining the Platinum for Xillia as well.

Only problem I'm seeing now is that I just don't know how the 2 sides aspect of the game will be handled. In my Tales of games I like having my save at the end of the scenario with every quest and book completed, max level with all skills etc etc.
And as you said, I hope we'll get to transfer everything over in a new game + with the other character. At least that way I may only need to complete the game 4 times in a row (getting what I can with char1, getting what I can or lack with char2, perfect run char1, perfect run char2).

However one problem to sort out before even beginning to consider all this...I still don't know which character to begin with the first time >_< Such an easy yet difficult question.

Firestorm

I thought the secret missions were pretty fun aside from a couple. Pretty sure it was SM 17. The fact that I can remember the number is telling x.x

LiK

matmanx1 said:
I didn't have to change any voltage setting on my Lightning Edition so I'm not sure why this one would be any different. It's Europe that uses the different voltage specs for wall outlets and not Japan, I thought?

And yeah, my email from NCS said they weren't receiving their shipment of X Edition PS3's until tomorrow so the earliest they could get the console out to me would be Saturday. Email them and ask them to change you to Saturday delivery, it was only $17.50-ish more to go that route for me.
Shit, that means I won't get it until next week. And yea, Japan PS3 works fine with US outlets.

rykomatsu

DMPrince said:
we'll find out tomorrow! maybe they just saying monday. i might call them up on saturday and see if they have it in the local facility as they don't ship on weekends for me and pick it up then.

If you ordered from Play-asia with Fedex, that's a no go unless Play-Asia authorizes early pickup at a local facility before first delivery attempt. And, Play-Asia has never authorized that for me.

UPS, I don't know...

LiK

rykomatsu said:
If you ordered from Play-asia with Fedex, that's a no go unless Play-Asia authorizes early pickup at a local facility before first delivery attempt. And, Play-Asia has never authorized that for me.

UPS, I don't know...
UPS doesn't do weekends either.

GorillaJu

So are you all going to play it in Japanese? Or is the Asian version in English? I've been hearing really good things. Might have to go pick this up tonight...

matmanx1 said:

That's where I live. In earlier PS3's I was under the impression it said it was 110v when it was multivoltage if you opened it up so would work on 240v. Hoping this is the same but since it's LE + new model...

kiryogi

Banned
odd_morsel said:
So are you all going to play it in Japanese? Or is the Asian version in English? I've been hearing really good things. Might have to go pick this up tonight...
That would be everyone that's waiting on it. Yup!

Jucksalbe

Banned
Sir_Crocodile said:
Hoping this is the same but since it's LE + new model...
Please tell me if you find out. Since yours is already shipped I guess you will be receiving it first. I'm a bit worried about the new model, you never know where they cut costs.

GorillaJu

kiryogi said:
That would be everyone that's waiting on it. Yup!

Seems a bit rough, I'd think. I could be completely wrong, but learning enough of a language to enjoy and complete a video game seems like a pretty daunting task for people outside of that country. Or are people using translations?

I'll have to go pick it up later on... Been craving a good JRPG.

EDIT: 500 Yen for costume DLC?! One single costume for one character is actually 500 yen. I can't believe that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
odd_morsel said:
Seems a bit rough, I'd think. I could be completely wrong, but learning enough of a language to enjoy and complete a video game seems like a pretty daunting task for people outside of that country. Or are people using translations?

EDIT: 500 Yen for costume DLC?! One single costume for one character is actually 500 yen. I can't believe that.
It varies. The expensive ones also come with removable accessories.

kiryogi

Banned
odd_morsel said:

Maybe so, but I've been doing this for years since the Dreamcast era. I don't know about the others here on the other hand.

Also besides the extra accessories, the licensed costumes tend to run more.

It will be a bumpy road that's for sure (those who can't read Japanese). But we'll manage somehow. I've played numerous games in JP and it can be difficult to go through without being able to read the language, but usually there will be online guides and forums to answer your questions.

As for me, I started studying a while ago, but I'm not at the point where I can read any sentence I see. It will take a long time to become proficient at reading, but I don't have any problem with setting aside some time every day to study.

I imagine that might be an issue for people with tighter schedules though.

GorillaJu

PoorFate said:
It will be a bumpy road that's for sure (those who can't read Japanese). But we'll manage somehow. I've played numerous games in JP and it can be difficult to go through without being able to read the language, but usually there will be online guides and forums to answer your questions.

As for me, I started studying a while ago, but I'm not at the point where I can read any sentence I see. It will take a long time to become proficient at reading, but I don't have any problem with setting aside some time every day to study.

I imagine that might be an issue for people with tighter schedules though.

Yea. I'm not one to judge people who support the industry by buying early new releases and take risks like this.

I've been here about two years and there are still tons of words, idioms, expressions, etc. that I don't understand when I play games in Japanese. I know Japanese that applies to my life - unfortunately many of the words you find in fantasy settings aren't exactly in my everyday dialog, so I'm pretty clueless some of the time, particularly with item names that involve chemical / metal-related kanji. I rarely play Japanese games though, mostly for that reason, though I managed to get through FF13 without problem in a few days.

The last time I tried to play through a game in Japanese (over a decade ago, before I knew the language), I gave up in about 30 minutes. But there wasn't a robust community to help with translations and guides back then. For anyone curious, the game was Wonder Project J2 (N64) :lol

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
odd_morsel said:

The Asian version won't have English.

Shouta

kayos90 said:
It varies. The expensive ones also come with removable accessories.

Still not worth 6 dollars if you ask me.

Anyway, I am home and after I finish eating I'm gonna get back into the game.

GorillaJu

^^ no idea who that is, but enjoying the game so far none the less. I haven't played a Tales game since the Gamecube one, so it's fun times here.

Argh there is a tempest passing over my region ..and judging by the tracking i won't have it this week-end.. Well back to waiting with tales of innocence ( still haven't finished it )

Firestorm said:
I thought the secret missions were pretty fun aside from a couple. Pretty sure it was SM 17. The fact that I can remember the number is telling x.x

if you're talking about the japanese version ..that secret was about using the item you got in a quest in battle . ( estelle fight ). BUt most of them were either
-pusing the ennemu to a specific area ( i hated those )
-breaking the ennemies defenses after his big attack ( some were alright , most were a pain )
-Preventing an ennemy from using his ultimate attack ( the only ones i enjoyed )

so i'm glad they are gone

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How's the story so far?

Shouta

odd_morsel said:
^^ no idea who that is, but enjoying the game so far none the less. I haven't played a Tales game since the Gamecube one, so it's fun times here.

Miyuki Sawashiro, she's the VA for Milla. So sexy.

ULTROS! said:
How's the story so far?

Slow at the point I am at but not the bad kind of slow. Learning a little bit at a time and I've finally gotten to see the loli with the critter from .hack in her arms. Granted, I'm only been traveling through the first area after the prologue of the game so it's kind of to be expected. I can post a few summary points in spoilers but I'll hold off for now.

Top Bottom