• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This game's soundtrack is pretty great... (soundtrack tone/instrumentation/atmosphere spoilers in any spoiler tags)
reminds me of Eternal Sonata's a little bit, though in some places it reminds me of BK/SO
. A lot of it is kind of "unlike" Sakuraba, yet some of it is like Sakuraba. The OP form of "Progress" is not on the soundtrack, I don't think. I guess you'll have to buy FIVE for that.

Regarding the battle theme, final battle theme, etc:
I've really warmed up to the Jude battle themes. They seem fun to tab out and shred through on my electric guitar.
The victory theme is kind of shit, though. It's reminds me of the Radiant Mythology ones and that isn't really a good thing since I didn't like those either.
I still think Milla's themes are cool, but I'm really warming up to Jude's themes.
The Game Over theme ("Losing the Battle") is kind of cool; it kinda comes out of nowhere, and its quite atmospheric and ambient. I almost want to compare it to Final Fantasy XIII's Game Over theme, actually. That's what it reminded me of. The final battle theme progresses really really well; the buildup to the climax point and the instrumentation make it pretty awesome-sounding.

There are a few stunners on this soundtrack. For example,
there is a jazz theme (Disc 3, Track 5) that I really enjoyed. It's so mellow, and I think it's a town theme going by the name of the track. There is another jazzy theme on the same disc (Track 8) which I thought was good, but not as good as the previously mentioned jazz track.
Certain "scene"-sounding themes like
"Meaning of the Mission", "Her Treasure", are pretty good.
This soundtrack has some pretty good stringwork and piano work, especially in
Meaning of the Mission and "Illuminated Sunlight" (a calm, nicely-composed and paced melody whose centerpiece is a piano melody; it's really pleasant to listen to).

Regarding town themes, I think they were done pretty well. They don't sound as blasé as Graces' town themes did.
A lot of them are Asian-based in terms of instrumentation (ex: A Lord's City Towering in the Mountains, A Mountain Village in the Dawn, Village of the Spirits), so that was kind of a breath of fresh air to me. Other themes like "A Royal City Enveloped in the Night" and "Beloved Hometown" are good, and I guess they fit their areas (I know "A Royal City Enveloped in the Night" does for sure; I believe this is the first town theme), but they didn't really stand out that much to me like the other themes did. I also liked "The Lively Merchant Town" and "A Palace Bathed in Sunlight" as well.

With regards to the character themes,
I like Jude's ("Theme of Jude ~Determination~") a lot better than Milla's ("Theme of Milla ~Mission~"). Gaius's theme ("Theme of Gaius ~Supremacy~"), I felt rather indifferent towards.

I like it a lot better than Graces' soundtrack. A lot better. My boyfriend theorized that the other composers whom he worked with on the Vesperia, Hearts and Graces soundtracks kind of dragged those ones down. He might have a point as I don't think those soundtracks completely specified the composer-track breakdown (though the liner notes vaguely did... Sakuraba apparently did the "ethnic" town themes in Graces, for example, and some other stuff). This album, afaik, is completely composed by Sakuraba himself.

kiryogi

Banned
Theorized? It's always been Tamura/Aoyama that's co-composer with Sakuraba. And I don't think its so much as dragging down as that's what Tales Studio/Sakuraba considers to be the Tales style. Legendia was a fluke.

I'm not a big fan of TS but if they are taking cues from TD then it can only be a good thing. I like what I'm reading so far regarding the combat system.

ahahaha what the fuck.

Louisville, KY, United States 09/09/2011 11:52 P.M. Registered with Clearing Agency

Anchorage, AK, United States 09/09/2011 2:57 P.M. Departure Scan
09/09/2011 12:48 P.M. Arrival Scan

Louisville, KY, United States 09/09/2011 12:05 P.M. Registered with Clearing Agency / Shipment submitted to Clearing Agency

KY -> AK -> KY lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
kiryogi said:
Theorized? It's always been Tamura/Aoyama that's co-composer with Sakuraba. And I don't think its so much as dragging down as that's what Tales Studio considers to be the Tales style. Legendia was a fluke.
Like I said before, he's a huge fan of Sakuraba so he's biased.
KuGsj.gif

A style change can sometimes be good, I think. I was kind of hoping that this soundtrack wouldn't be forgettable given that it's a 15th Anniversary Tales title... and it doesn't seem to be forgettable. It's actually pretty good compared to other Tales OSTs of late, in my opinion of course. Others may think differently.

Side note: Tamura/Aoyama's stuff isn't that great to me. There are a few standouts (Fighting of the Spirit, Town of Wind and Ruins), but a lot of the stuff he does is kind of forgettable imo.

seipherzero

Neo Member
Oh man, oh man.

Laughed a bit when
Milla swung her sword after losing her powers. Had a good chuckle at Jude's reaction to her not knowing how to go home
lol.

With that said, I'm enjoying the game a lot so far. The cityscape at night is gorgeous in motion- everything from the starry sky and its reflection in the water to the ambient lighting of the surrounding buildings. Great stuff.

Other people have already said it, but the intro movie after the prologue was so awesome. The animation was very very well executed. Fluid and beautiful ;]

Going to hop on JP PSN to register the costume codes and maybe purchase some DLC...

Jimrpg

arbok26 said:
what other tales games can i get?

is it just tales of symphonia for the 360 that got translated into english? did that get released in PAL regions?

R_thanatos said:
WAIT WHAT ??

Ok you're into the wrong place...

Tales of SYMPHONIA is a GC game ( it got a PS2 version in japanese and that's all )
Tales of Vesperia got a enhanced edition for the PS3 in japan ..No english version available (YET ..a patch in progress but requires a jailbroken PS3 so don't count on it )
The 360 Vesperia version was released everywhere ..( JAPAN , US, EUROPE )

If you're looking at the PS3 , there is also TAles of Graces F but again it's in japanese but a official US release in on the way MAYBE ( maybe ) in 2012.

Here we are getting hyped by Tales of Xillia , the first Tales of BUILT IN for the PS3 , that seems so far to convince everyone so far ( and it seems it's selling well too ) ..

Thanks for sort of making sense of what i was trying to say the other day... i was in a bit of a rush.

its going to be a while until the english version of xillia comes out so i thought about getting an earlier tales game.

i also got symphonia and vesperia mixed up in my first post :p looks like its going to be a 360 copy of vesperia then... thanks.

and graces F sounds interesting too :)

pancakesandsex said:
ahahaha what the fuck.

Louisville, KY, United States 09/09/2011 11:52 P.M. Registered with Clearing Agency

Anchorage, AK, United States 09/09/2011 2:57 P.M. Departure Scan
09/09/2011 12:48 P.M. Arrival Scan

Louisville, KY, United States 09/09/2011 12:05 P.M. Registered with Clearing Agency / Shipment submitted to Clearing Agency

KY -> AK -> KY lol
it registered at customs in KY at 11:52pm
cleared at 12:05pm
arrived in AK at 12:48pm
scanned for departure at 2:57pm. LOL if it's going back to HK.

seipherzero

Neo Member
Oh yea, don't forget to download the free Alt costumes for Milla and Jude. There's some free items sets as well.

I think you can also purchase level ups and gald too... lol. So tempted to get the Star Driver costumes for Millia and Jude. Hmmm... I think I'll hold off on paid stuff for now.

Shouta

Aeana said:
I started a new game as Jude just to see how the story differs from his perspective. Honestly, I think the whole introductory scenario makes a lot more sense from his perspective than Milla's. Also, I really like playing as him. Love his backstep/teleport move.

Jude's combat style is by far the most normal of everyone in the game I think. He doesn't really have any special tricks to his style and he's fast so he's pretty easy to play.

I think my only complaint about the battle so far is that Link Arts aren't terribly balanced at the moment. Jude and Milla have a lot together but the others only have a few for each. I'm hoping it changes as the game goes out but it's kind odd.

kiryogi

Banned
seipherzero said:
Oh man, oh man.

Laughed a bit when
Milla swung her sword after losing her powers. Had a good chuckle at Jude's reaction to her not knowing how to go home
lol.

When that happened it was more like
FUUUUUUCK, she's worthless now. XD Switched to Jude for the remainder

Aeana said:
I got the free item DLC. It wasn't much.
I really don't like the Cless/Stahn costumes at all. :\

I'm so waiting for next weeks... but more so the following weeks for the school outfits and whatnot D: Utahime is actually great though. You get Bunny ears to put on everyone! Totally gonna put'em on Elise...

Also... while there's some physics normally with Milla, if you toss the Utahime outfit on her, its really obvious. . . .

Shouta said:
Jude's combat style is by far the most normal of everyone in the game I think. He doesn't really have any special tricks to his style and he's fast so he's pretty easy to play.

I think my only complaint about the battle so far is that Link Arts aren't terribly balanced at the moment. Jude and Milla have a lot together but the others only have a few for each. I'm hoping it changes as the game goes out but it's kind odd.

Don't count it on unfortunately, if you had a chance to look @ ATwiki....

DMPrince said:
it registered at customs in KY at 11:52pm
cleared at 12:05pm
arrived in AK at 12:48pm
scanned for departure at 2:57pm. LOL if it's going back to HK.

Mine's gone back and forth a number of times as well. Right now it's sitting in Louisville. If it makes another round trip I might have to contact play-asia and see what's up.

PoorFate said:
Mine's gone back and forth a number of times as well. Right now it's sitting in Louisville. If it makes another round trip I might have to contact play-asia and see what's up.
it won't. it should be traveling over the weekend to the last destination before it drops the package off for you on monday. mine updated with KY as well. so it's safe to say it's at the right spot lol.

Scheduled Delivery:
Monday, 09/12/2011, By End of Day
Last Location:
Louisville, KY, United States, Saturday, 09/10/2011

Shouta

All of the characters really good actually though I haven't actually controlled Milla yet.

Alvin is the slugger of the group like I mentioned earlier with the regular sword user set for a Tales game but since he attacks slower and does strong hits, it's different compared to others.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I have never played a Tales game nor do I know A THING about Tales games but I saw this at Yamada Denki today and almost bit..almost.. I think I really want a good RPG before 13-2 comes out.

kiryogi

Banned
Shouta said:
All of the characters really good actually though I haven't actually controlled Milla yet.

Alvin is the slugger of the group like I mentioned earlier with the regular sword user set for a Tales game but since he attacks slower and does strong hits, it's different compared to others.

I've been using everybody, although mainly Milla w/ Jude for links they have the most variety. I don't use Alvin so much since he currently only has like one link D:

Labadal

Maybe more links get available through sidequests? That reminds me, I wonder if this is like Vesperia, where you could miss lots of timed events. missed a lot of things on my first Vesperia playthrough.

Shouta

I highly doubt more are available from side quests unless new artes are available from them. Most of the side quest rewards have been items to customize your characters.

Raia/Raya/Reia or however you spell it is pretty sweet. Another melee healer is kinda awesome and she uses a Bo!

kiryogi

Banned
Shouta said:
I highly doubt more are available from side quests unless new artes are available from them. Most of the side quest rewards have been items to customize your characters.

Raia/Raya/Reia or however you spell it is pretty sweet. Another melee healer is kinda awesome and she uses a Bo!

Leia.

Shouta

Ah, didn't bother checking the romanization. I wonder if the two flowers on her hairband are meant to be the donuts...

She's basically like P4's Chie except uses a Bo and doesn't have a crazy obsession with meat.

Labadal said:
Wich character is the most fun to use so far? Please tell me Alvin is fun to use, please!

'im looking forward to play with the childhood friend with teh extensible staff .. let me have my killik moments in Tales of namco !!!

Aeana

So... you can only hold one of each food item? Seems lame.
Is there an actual cooking system in the game?

rykomatsu said:
God fucking dammit...i got the start-up bug...
What's that about?

Proven

So apparently, if you play multiplayer, your friends can also activate link mode with other characters. But, when you activate on a player that's human control, it will force the character into Auto mode. Along with this, linking is the only way to use the link artes and charge the overlimit gauge.

So yeah. I was going to buy a PS3 for this game if it got confirmed for localization before Graces F released here. Now... not so much.

Edit: Confirmed with a second source. I guess it's time to take my leave.

rykomatsu

Aeana said:
So... you can only hold one of each food item? Seems lame.
Is there an actual cooking system in the game?

What's that about?
Starting Xillia from XMB results in the console hanging on a black screen. If I start by playing another disc based ps3 game first, then play xillia, it appears to work fine...loo,s like its being reported sporadically here and there. i tried reinstalling..will try restarting again later...going to keep playing since it's annoying to have to keep dropping in a different game every time i want to play tox...

Sagitario

rykomatsu said:
Starting Xillia from XMB results in the console hanging on a black screen. If I start by playing another disc based ps3 game first, then play xillia, it appears to work fine...loo,s like its being reported sporadically here and there. i tried reinstalling..will try restarting again later...going to keep playing since it's annoying to have to keep dropping in a different game every time i want to play tox...

What if you use the auto-boot from disc option [or whatever is called]?

Samus4145

Only Tales game I played was on GC. I'd play more if they see English ps3 release. Git Graces f reserved on amazon just waiting

kiryogi

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Aifread is in Eternia too...just a returning cameo.
Aifread's been in a lot of Tales games. He's not a title exclusive. Started in Eternia I believe, and then has showed up in different ways in other games...

Also there's some more hope!
Two
more ingame costumes have been discovered.
Two.
D:

Also funny image on Inomata's blog:

toxtopictipo.jpg

I <3 Tipo

Bury

Neo Member
So my impressions of the game:

Considering I didn't really have time to play I haven't really gotten anywhere in terms of story, but I'm liking what I see so far. It was pretty awesome how
Milla loses her powers and right now she doesn't even know how to use a sword. When I first got her (playing Jude) I was like "Holy shit she's overpowered. So when is she going to lose her powers?" and then she did shortly after
. Alvin seems like a cool dude and Jude is pretty great too. I'm liking all of the cast so far so that spells good for the game.

The opening: Holy shit that was an amazing opening. Best one by far for me just beating out the opening for abyss and I love the abyss opening. Managed to avoid cliches such as all the characters looking sad and the battle animation was top notch.

Battle: This is where the game really shines. I had doubts with the team going the TP route again and I knew that it was going to be hard on me ever since I experienced Graces CC/around step system but they really knocked it out of the park. Link artes are awesome even though I only have 2 of them, AC is CC in disguise and most importantly, it's fast paces so battles don't feel like a chore. This game might just become my favorite tales game.

kiryogi

Banned
Bury said:
So my impressions of the game:

Considering I didn't really have time to play I haven't really gotten anywhere in terms of story, but I'm liking what I see so far. It was pretty awesome how
Milla loses her powers and right now she doesn't even know how to use a sword. When I first got her (playing Jude) I was like "Holy shit she's overpowered. So when is she going to lose her powers?" and then she did shortly after
. Alvin seems like a cool dude and Jude is pretty great too. I'm liking all of the cast so far so that spells good for the game.

The opening: Holy shit that was an amazing opening. Best one by far for me just beating out the opening for abyss and I love the abyss opening. Managed to avoid cliches such as all the characters looking sad and the battle animation was top notch.

Battle: This is where the game really shines. I had doubts with the team going the TP route again and I knew that it was going to be hard on me ever since I experienced Graces CC/around step system but they really knocked it out of the park. Link artes are awesome even though I only have 2 of them, AC is CC in disguise and most importantly, it's fast paces so battles don't feel like a chore. This game might just become my favorite tales game.

TP still seems like a chore IMO. The things I end up aiming for on the Lillial orb are usually TP and new Artes. .-.

And yes, opening is great. That pan in the beginning :O UFOTable did a fantastic job and honestly delivered animation beyond what IG has been doing in the recent years.

Aeana

The game finally explained the chain chance thing. I didn't realize I was so far behind everyone else.

First boss was really easy. Combat is pretty fun now. Nowhere near Graces fun for me, but it is definitely a gigantic step forward for Symphonia-style combat. It at least has great speed when playing as Jude.

kiryogi

Banned
Ninman said:
Can someone please respond to this man? ty
I've never been a framerate nazi so I can't really give a straight answer. It seems solid enough thouugh, nothing like Abyss. Also, the game is 720p native.

Aeana: IMO, this is probably the best TS battle system to date. It is definitely a step in a better direction. Its neat to see the culmination of systems in DRLMB. Union attacks from Symphonia return as Link Artes. While the trigger for them is a form of Finishing Strike from Vesperia.

rykomatsu

I've grown Milla's lillial orb a few times and am really starting to like her. With aerial dashes/backdashes and TP recovery during aerial combos, she is starting to play similarly to Judith from ToV. Hate Hamasaki Ayumi's opening and the town BGMs are lacking at times, but otherwise a great experience thus far.

Elise is an interesting character...battle system wise similar to Estelle? Char wise, haven't found her annoying at all

kiryogi

Banned
rykomatsu said:
I've grown Milla's lillial orb a few times and am really starting to like her. With aerial dashes/backdashes and TP recovery during aerial combos, she is starting to play similarly to Judith from ToV. Hate Hamasaki Ayumi's opening and the town BGMs are lacking at times, but otherwise a great experience thus far.

Elise is an interesting character...battle system wise similar to Estelle? Char wise, haven't found her annoying at all
I think the real hate out there on Elise is on her puppet friend Tipo. But haters be hatin'

While on the music, its actually not generic sleep inducing offensive like Tales has been known for. But instead its rather low key and atmospheric. (If not ambient even) So it's nothing that stands out, but at least it doesn't put me to sleep. That's my impression so far anyway.

rykomatsu

So who here thinks Alvin will play the same role as
Raven
in ToV?

kiryogi said:
While on the music, its actually not generic sleep inducing offensive like Tales has been known for. But instead its rather low key and atmospheric. (If not ambient even) So it's nothing that stands out, but at least it doesn't put me to sleep. That's my impression so far anyway.

Well, some areas seem to be completely devoid of BGMs...

matmanx1

So no joy for me today. Despite paying for Saturday delivery from UPS and the tracking site saying that delivery was on track for today I never actually got my package.

I sort of suspected something was amiss when the tracking site had the last point of departure scan as Maspeth, NY with no arrival scan in Atlanta which is the closest major hub city to my location. As of 9pm the UPS site has been updated to show delivery is now scheduled for Monday before 1:30pm but I would really like to know what happened to foul up my perfectly planned weekend off of work. And of course, how do I get my Saturday delivery money back?!

Ah well, it's not like I don't have other things to play and do. It's just disappointing is all.

Top Bottom