• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Shouta

Finished with Part 2 of the main story at about 26-27 hours in.

Black Feathers seem to show up a lot in areas where you've searched for a lot of the loot already. If you see a new one, then it might be feathers. I have the Ball myself but I really haven't used it. No real room for me to mess with it on Hard and if I just manually change Artes and the like when I purposefully swap in someone because I can also see what Link Artes are available. I just got some of the Final Attacks though so I may set them up on the Ball so I don't need to use up one of my primary buttons.

I use Jude/Rowen/Elise then someone else for most regular battles because it's easier to clear out all the enemies that way, boss battles tends to be whoever is the best fit.

Aeana

PoorFate said:
I was just wondering, can any of you fluently read Japanese? And if so, what's your background? At least, in terms of time spent studying and whether it was done alone or in a class. I'm just curious.
Military brat. I spent a lot of my childhood in Japan, and essentially learned English and Japanese right alongside each other.

biocat said:
I minored in Japanese and have lived in Japan since 2004. Taking a class is a very good idea, especially early on. Just keep it fun and don't burn yourself out.

Also, have you tried livemocha? I haven't used it myself, but a friend of mine was studying Chinese, Japanese, and Russian through it. Might be worth a shot.

This is actually the first time I've heard of livemocha. I'll take a look into it considering the soonest I can get into a class is next September where I live. So any resources offline or online will be a great help.

So... For those who played in both Jude and Milla, do really the story change a lot between the two main characters?

Do we need to finish the game twice each one with one of the characters!?

Aeana

The Praiseworthy said:
So... For those who played in both Jude and Milla, do really the story change a lot between the two main characters?

Do we need to finish the game twice each one with one of the characters!?
There are parts in the game where the two characters are apart from each other, so you see different events at those points. I think the most significant for that that I've seen so far in the game is in the prologue, where most of the explanation of what's going on is actually on Jude's side. Other times later in the game seem to be fairly minor so far.

rykomatsu

So...I know ToA, ToV, and ToG most recently didn't have character jumping, but shit...WHY DON'T RPGs INCLUDE JUMPING@#!@#!?

Even if it's some cheesy mechanism that accomplishes nothing (in most cases), I want my characters to be able to jump on command :| Ar Tonelico 1 had it, 2 didn't, and got quite a few complaints that they reincluded it into 3...by god...just add this simple useless feature :(

Aeana said:
There are parts in the game where the two characters are apart from each other, so you see different events at those points. I think the most significant for that that I've seen so far in the game is in the prologue, where most of the explanation of what's going on is actually on Jude's side. Other times later in the game seem to be fairly minor so far.
So... How many hours is the prologue? And how much % is the different between the two characters stories in the rest of the game!?

Aeana

The Praiseworthy said:
So... How many hours is the prologue? And how much % is the different between the two characters stories in the rest of the game!?
The prologue is like half an hour tops.
I dunno about the rest of the game; I'm pretty early on still. But so far it hasn't been all that much. I can only think of 3 events in particular where Milla and Jude split up.

Aeana

ZSZR5.jpg

In this skit, Alvin is freaking Elise and Tipo out, telling them bedtime stories about how using spirit artes too often will eat away at the brain. Tipo's response is above.

I thought it was pretty funny.

Aeana said:
ZSZR5.jpg

In this skit, Alvin is freaking Elise and Tipo out, telling them bedtime stories about how using spirit artes too often will eat away at the brain. Tipo's response is above.

I thought it was pretty funny.

Oh god... I need some Tales skits ASAP :-(

kiryogi

Banned
While we're posting pics... Here's what my Milla and Elise look like. Wish I could do direct captures XD

toxmilla.png

toxelise.png

So silly, but I love it!

Aeana: See! I can you hate on Tipo! He at least has personality versus the cute reject Mieu. Also IMO, the worse mascot character was Mormo in RM1.

Aeana

I'm so far behind everyone! Keep going off and doing sidequests and stuff. I'm just now getting to the story event in Karaha Sharl.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
I'm so far behind everyone! Keep going off and doing sidequests and stuff. I'm just now getting to the story event in Karaha Sharl.

I think you're ahead of me (I didn't get that nightmare skit yet), I started work again yesterday lol and played GKH when I got home. Didn't start playing until 4am XD And even then I decided to try and farm Black Feathers (And failed) More tonight hopefully.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Skiiiiiits~ *reaches*

I'm playing a bit of Graces F to get my mind off of Xillia (or maybe I should play a bit of Vesperia PS3 to get back into the mode of a Team Symphonia battle engine). You guys sound like you're having fun with it. If it's supposed to be the best Team Symphonia battle system, then I'm pretty enthusiastic about getting my copy. Jude sounds like the way to go as well.

kiryogi said:
Also IMO, the worse mascot character was Mormo in RM1.
Ugh, Mormo sucks too. I think Tenebrae was the only mascot character I genuinely liked. Unless Repede counts. Noishe is ok.

Corinne wasn't awful; same with Quickie. Indifferent to the talking otters.

mieu was likable because lUke was already kicking him in the game ..

Mormo can die in a fire ... i'm glad to hear that the mascot this time does a proper job

Aeana

I just did a really long link arts chain against the boss at
Barmia Gorge
. I don't know exactly how many it was, but I took 58% of the boss's health, so that was pretty cool. Very satisfying!

Datschge

Catching up with impressions after being away.

Wanted to ask whether enemies have Link Artes as well to gang up on the player to balance it some? And is 4 player multiplayer is possible with Link Artes? So...
FSLink said:
So wait, link artes automatically puts human players on auto? Whaaaat, I was looking forward to doing cool link arte stuff with friends. :(
So much fail. Back when Link Artes were first revealed somebody commented that this is a feature for a player who has no friends. Now it's not only that but it also actively breaks friends? Big issue as Link Artes are unique after all and everything bigger builds upon them. (It also makes soloing with a character incomplete if not impossible.) That must be the biggest design catastrophe in Tales since ToS GC where multiplayer was hard to use as the camera only focussed on the first player.

Also I read that side stepping is possible? When is it available? How does it compare to Graces? The few videos I saw so far only seemed to use Free Run.

Edit: Seems like it's a (missable?) skill.
URT86 @ gfaqs said:
Is it Moving Assault, a skill in 7 o'clock direction on the Lili Orb?
Hold L1 and attack.
So anyone uses that?

Furthermore Sakuraba is confirmed to be the sole composer for this game. Lack of Tamura makes the soundtrack somewhat un-Tales-y sounding. On the other hand I can fully recommend this soundtrack to all Sakuraba fans who avoided Tales soundtracks in the past. More consistent than his past couple works as well, loving it.

FSLink

Banned
Datschge said:
Also I read that side stepping is possible? When is it available? How does it compare to Graces? The few videos I saw so far only seemed to use Free Run.

Edit: Seems like it's a (missable?) skill.
So anyone uses that?
It's not missable, it's a skill you learn on the Lilial Orb, costs 1 AC to use and I think 5 skill points? I'll have to check. And yeah, this game seriously does a lot right, though the multiplayer Link Artes (or lack of) was kind of a dumb design.

EDIT: It uses 9 skill points, but SP is pretty easy to gain in this game since you earn about 3-4 per level up, plus bonuses on the Lilial Orb as well.

As far as it compared to Graces, I think it has less invincibility, but it's mostly used for an offensive option, and it works great with Link Mode since your partner moves at the same time, good for repositioning yourself while other enemies are trying to attack you while you're trying to surround one enemy.

And the enemies do a good job on Hard mode of preventing me using Link Artes, since the entire move that you're using to trigger it has to finish before you can activate it, they really like to surround me.

Aeana

Ah I see it. Yeah it's on the 7th level of Jude's lillial orb. I haven't learned it yet, but I'm definitely going to go for it ASAP now.

FSLink

Banned
Aeana said:
Ah I see it. Yeah it's on the 7th level of Jude's lillial orb. I haven't learned it yet, but I'm definitely going to go for it ASAP now.
Yeah, it's on everyone's Lilial Orb btw, not just Jude's. Tons of fun.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
@Aenea, omg you're about to set Gamefaqs on fire dude. Your finding of English, France, and other language strings is going to tear the site apart. Well, soon anyway. Other than that, I'm expecting this game to arrive this week or early next! So excited!!!

Seda

kayos90 said:
@Aenea, omg you're about to set Gamefaqs on fire, girl. Your finding of English, France, and other language strings is going to tear the site apart.

Fixed.

Anyways, I'd expect this game to make it over. (Eventually)

Rpgmonkey

Datschge said:
Furthermore Sakuraba is confirmed to be the sole composer for this game. Lack of Tamura makes the soundtrack somewhat un-Tales-y sounding. On the other hand I can fully recommend this soundtrack to all Sakuraba fans who avoided Tales soundtracks in the past. More consistent than his past couple works as well, loving it.

Interesting.

Haven't been that into Tales soundtracks for a long while, so I'm looking forward to seeing which of the two had a bigger role in that happening, if I can.

Aeana

kayos90 said:
@Aenea, omg you're about to set Gamefaqs on fire dude. Your finding of English, France, and other language strings is going to tear the site apart. Well, soon anyway. Other than that, I'm expecting this game to arrive this week or early next! So excited!!!
I didn't mean to get everyone riled up. I was just posting about an observation I made. It might not mean anything.

Aeana said:
I didn't mean to get everyone riled up. I was just posting about an observation I made. It might not mean anything.
Well some sites have already been writing stories about your findings and they've already made their way to N4G. Now you're as famous as Pachter.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
kayos90 said:

Huh, what's this? Did I miss anything?

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
It really doesn't.

Newsflash for the hopefuls: Similar files were found in Vesperia PS3.

Rarutos

Lucentto said:
It's sad that in 2011 people still have to fiend for localizations. Good shit game industry.
Agreed, it's really depressing. :(

But regardless of those files or not, we must continue to show ENTHUSIASM!

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
Thanks, looks like Aeana will be a celebrity if this gets localized (especially if this doesn't get localized). :p
I didn't say anything either way. Any spinning of my findings is on the other people.

Aeana

Back on the game itself, the latest story event I saw in Karaha Sharl was pretty annoying.
I just lost half of the party I was using. Now I feel so totally gimped.
I'll pick it back up tomorrow. (._. )

Mine should be here in a few hours. Couldn't sleep this night (not because of me waiting, at least not entirely), it's 6AM and I'm waiting for the doorbell to ring.
In the meantime I have to go out to sort out paperwork with the administration.

I hope it'll be here in 4 or 5 hours, otherwise this Monday will also be spent cursing anyone who's playing ^^;

GorillaJu

What is that Chain Chance business that pops up when I do a link Artes?

Oh and I just discovered you can set 4 abilities onto R stick motions for all characters. At first I thought it was just an extension of Jude's commands (how the fuck would I be able to hit X and use the R stick?!), but now it's much more fun since I can keep a skill I like on all my party members to use on demand.

In going soooooo slowly though. I'm still in (location spoilers)
Kijil falls
yet my shops are in the high teens/twenties in level.

Top Bottom