• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

FSLink

Banned
odd_morsel said:
What is that Chain Chance business that pops up when I do a link Artes?

Oh and I just discovered you can set 4 abilities onto R stick motions for all characters. At first I thought it was just an extension of Jude's commands (how the fuck would I be able to hit X and use the R stick?!), but now it's much more fun since I can keep a skill I like on all my party members to use on demand.

In going soooooo slowly though. I'm still in (location spoilers)
Kijil falls
yet my shops are in the high teens/twenties in level.
Use another skill that makes another link arte to chain into another link arte. Chain Chance pops up when you fill the bar completely and activate one. You can also switch partners during this and chain from partner to partner.

And yeah, the shortcut option rocks. I just got the Artes Ball myself and having another 8 on L1 + direction or L1 + R stick is making using Milla much easier for me, while still keeping artes that are used for Link Artes.

As for me, I just got to the snow place.

Aeana

I want the artes ball nowww. I've been saving my feathers, but it wasn't available at the merchant in Karaha Sharl when I got there.

Proven

odd_morsel said:
Oh and I just discovered you can set 4 abilities onto R stick motions for all characters. At first I thought it was just an extension of Jude's commands (how the fuck would I be able to hit X and use the R stick?!), but now it's much more fun since I can keep a skill I like on all my party members to use on demand.
The R stick option has been useable for all other party members in just about every Tales released in the last decade. I found that even in Destiny remake, L2/R2 had the same property. It's useful at times to make sure a CPU character spams a certain move... when I first played Symphonia there was a boss that I felt underleveled against, so I had Raine cast nonstop healing spells, expecting them to activate right after I took 1k damage. You can even have a character set to cast a fast magic spell on command, which can open up a monster's defense or continue a combo chain for you.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
It'll be cool to not be the most behind person with the game in the thread.
LOL. If it makes you feel better, I won't get mine for another week or so. Plus I don't play console games on weekdays, so even if I had the game now, I'd be behind everyone else anyway.

But I like reading through everyone's impressions so I know what to look forward to, so I'm not really annoyed about picking a slower shipping speed.

FSLink

Banned
Proven said:
The R stick option has been useable for all other party members in just about every Tales released in the last decade. I found that even in Destiny remake, L2/R2 had the same property. It's useful at times to make sure a CPU character spams a certain move... when I first played Symphonia there was a boss that I felt underleveled against, so I had Raine cast nonstop healing spells, expecting them to activate right after I took 1k damage. You can even have a character set to cast a fast magic spell on command, which can open up a monster's defense or continue a combo chain for you.
It was also really useful in Abyss if you knew how to abuse Free Run.
Guy or Luke + Anise, Jade, and Tear using spells equipped on R stick made for some much easier fights on harder difficulties. Also doing them in succession activated FOFs too.

Shouta

Aeana said:
I want the artes ball nowww. I've been saving my feathers, but it wasn't available at the merchant in Karaha Sharl when I got there.

You get it automatically, it's not an option you need to select to receive. I think as soon as you gather 100 in total, he'll give it to you.

Aeana

Shouta said:
You get it automatically, it's not an option you need to select to receive. I think as soon as you gather 100 in total, he'll give it to you.
Ohhh, okay cool. I'm close to 100 now. Can't wait.

GorillaJu

FSLink said:
Use another skill that makes another link arte to chain into another link arte. Chain Chance pops up when you fill the bar completely and activate one. You can also switch partners during this and chain from partner to partner.

And yeah, the shortcut option rocks. I just got the Artes Ball myself and having another 8 on L1 + direction or L1 + R stick is making using Milla much easier for me, while still keeping artes that are used for Link Artes.

As for me, I just got to the snow place.
Fuck me now you have me confused!

Going to have to do even more experimenting. FF13 was so much easier to get the hang of! I'm such a JRPG scrub.

I read that Hamasaki Ayumi's limited edition (with the DLC code) is out of print already?! On the way back now from Tower Records where they had one copy left. Maybe I got lucky.

Aeana

odd_morsel said:
Fuck me now you have me confused!

Going to have to do even more experimenting. FF13 was so much easier to get the hang of! I'm such a JRPG scrub.

I read that Hamasaki Ayumi's limited edition (with the DLC code) is out of print already?! On the way back now from Tower Records where they had one copy left. Maybe I got lucky.
It's pretty simple. You know how usually when you do an arte that can link, you have to press R2 to link? Well, when chain chance pops up, just performing an arte that links with your current partner will automatically trigger a link arte, as long as it is different from the one you performed before it.

rykomatsu

odd_morsel said:
What is that Chain Chance business that pops up when I do a link Artes?

When you do a link arte, you can change (or not) your link partner in the middle of the arte motion. Then, when you do an individual arte that leads to a link arte with the new partner (if you changed) when the Link-Chance image shows up, you can chain it.

Say...Milla, Jude, Elise, and Alvin with Milla as your main linked to Jude, with the arrangement as:
Milla - Up
Jude - Left
Elise - Right
Alvin - Down

Milla - Firebomb, then R2 = Link Arte w/ Jude
Right (in middle of link arte sequence)

**Chain Chance**
Milla - Windcutter, then R2 = Link Arte w/ Elise
Down (in middle of link arte sequence)

**Chain Chance**
Milla - Firebomb, then R2 = Link Arte w/ Alvin

Conceptually simple, but my fingers don't move as fast as my brain :(

GorillaJu

Much thanks you two. Seems like a matter of memorizing the best chains.

Edit; picked the game up and my first fight has the tutorial for the chains. Nice. :)

Shouta

You can always check what Link Artes are available to you from the Artes Menu. If a skill has a Green Mark next to it while you're linked up mid-battle, then that has a Link Artes associated with it. Chains are just a matter of memorizing what ones you have equipped but you also have to know how each one will connect with each other because if you blast an enemy far away with one Link Arte, the next one you chain may not connect at all.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
My copy finally shipped! Unfortunately by the time it gets here I'll be visiting a friend for a week. A friend who does not have a PS3 and would probably not appreciate me gaming a lot while I was there anyway. Oh well, something to look forward to in a couple of weeks I guess.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:

I'm pretty sure you're still ahead of me! We'll see if I even get around to finishing this time XD

Aeana said:
I just did a really long link arts chain against the boss at
Barmia Gorge
. I don't know exactly how many it was, but I took 58% of the boss's health, so that was pretty cool. Very satisfying!

How many did you do? I find it hard to transition to another character after using up all the available options on the first char I'm linked with. It's like hard multitasking and memorization. I end up thinking too long and not being able to react in time for the next chain chance.

Also new avatar get for now! (The rips for status/chat/cutins are running around the web now :D)

FSLink

Banned
kiryogi said:
How many did you do? I find it hard to transition to another character after using up all the available options on the first char I'm linked with. It's like hard multitasking and memorization. I end up thinking too long and not being able to react in time for the next chain chance.
yeah, it's even more of a headache once you have moves on the artes ball.
Anybody who's really far ahead know if the battles have more interesting changes outside of unlocking MAs and more Link Artes? I'm kind of curious if it'll be possible to do more Link Artes in a combo at once with certain skills or something. I also noticed that like Vesperia, using moves more often gives it certain changes. Demon Fist for Jude uses less TP now, and Alvin's Tiger Blade can be used mid-air now...or at least I haven't noticed it could before.

And awesome avatar change, I should get me a Alvin or Tipo one.
And looks like there ISN'T any more additional Mystic Artes or a cameo battle of some sort? At least according to the rips.

kiryogi

Banned
FSLink said:
yeah, it's even more of a headache once you have moves on the artes ball.
Anybody who's really far ahead know if the battles have more interesting changes outside of unlocking MAs and more Link Artes? I'm kind of curious if it'll be possible to do more Link Artes in a combo at once with certain skills or something. I also noticed that like Vesperia, using moves more often gives it certain changes. Demon Fist for Jude uses less TP now, and Alvin's Tiger Blade can be used mid-air now...or at least I haven't noticed it could before.

And awesome avatar change, I should get me a Alvin or Tipo one.
And looks like there ISN'T any more additional Mystic Artes or a cameo battle of some sort? At least according to the rips.

No Cameo! You fight the Fauvres instead.

Additional MA/Hiougis/Cameos = Xillia DC lawlz. D: It's already amazing that we have four costumes in game so far! With 2 of them being for one char. XD

Shinryu's Tipo avatar is awesome.

34y75er.gif

Nom nom.

FSLink

Banned
kiryogi said:
Additional MA/Hiougis/Cameos = Xillia DC lawlz. D: It's already amazing that we have four costumes in game so far! With 2 of them being for one char. XD

Shinryu's Tipo avatar is awesome.

34y75er.gif

Nom nom.
Yeah, I can see this happening. With additional Alvin or some character side mode. And it'll be lame like Leon's mode in ToD:DC.
Also lack of Indignation in ToX probably means we'll get it as a Mystic Arte again in a director's cut. I'm tired of seeing it.

And man, I love Shinryu's Tipo avatar, hahaha.

GorillaJu

This game is pretty badass. Clocked 11 hours on it so far and continuing to fully enjoy it. And I finally got the hang of the link Artes chains. A bit spammy but I got about 7 or 8 good chains on this spinny-plank mob which took about 10 minutes to kill and gave everyone 3 levels in EXP.

And buying the Hamasaki Ayumi album mini-album was the worst music purchase mistake I've made in my life. I've always hated J-Pop, absolutely no reason why this one should make me suddenly think it's not all dog shit. Oh well.

Datschge

FSLink said:
Even the spinoffs like RM2 and 3 and NDX?
RM2 was prepared (after RM1 wasn't, Alfa got burned there :lol ), not sure about NDX but since that's by Tales Studio it should be as well. It's good programming practice to prepare the code for all possible configurations so that there is no need to redo large parts of the code in cases of e.g. localisations. So it's really not that big of a deal, just showing how the developer is prepared while the publisher doesn't act on it.

Aeana said:
Don't feel bad, I'm more behind by not playing the game but just wanting to hear your impressions for now. =)

I got a question about the boss fights.

I've heard like they have it set up so they're like completely impossible to combo or something like that. To be honest, I'm not really sure what people mean by that [I'm not one who cares about making impressive combos in these games... weird I know] so I was kinda hoping people who've played this game in this thread can make of it.

matmanx1

Well, it's finally here. Arrived around 11:30est this morning and I just got everything unpacked and put into place.

Edit - looks like my Skydrive isn't cooperating with me and it's public folders. I'll rehost the img somewhere else later.

I got the Jude normal outfit charm which is the one I really wanted so I'm happy about that. Updating the PS3 FW to 3.70 right now and then I'll be downloading and installing stuff until I head to work. I'll have to pop Xillia in for a few moments just to see the opening stuff though!

I turned the game art around in the picture I took because I don't know if anyone else saw or mentioned the Tales of timeline on the back. I thought it was really, really cool and helpful for someone who just became a Tales fan a few years back. I'm very impressed so far with the look and packaging!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Shouta said:
Oh boy, obvious plot twist is obvious. Let's see how they do with this.

Hope the story is decent though. How would you compare/rank this game compared to Vesperia, Abyss, and Graces?

FSLink said:
Even the spinoffs like RM2 and 3 and NDX?

NO not those i remember opening and messing up with the files of radiant mythology 1 and nothing was made for localisation.. it was in the Us version that the folders were properly set-up for localisation...
EDIT : As someone above said ..it was the exception to the already established rule...

LiK

NCS wrote back. They weren't able to lower it cuz their distributors didn't lower the price and the USD/Yen conversion. Not too surprised, done and done.

farnham

Banned
strange.. i dont really overly love the tales series

i didnt finish tos, tos kor, tov, toa 3ds and tog (this one is the most likely ill finish at this point)

yet this one kinda makes me want a pstriple

Lucis

Elise's voice is really getting beyond annoying, fucking why do japanese game always think they need a fucking loli. arg

Jucksalbe

Banned
LiK said:
NCS wrote back. They weren't able to lower it cuz their distributors didn't lower the price and the USD/Yen conversion. Not too surprised, done and done.
Thanks for the update. It's too bad, I already lost so much money because of the bad EUR/USD exchange rate, would have been nice to compensate that.

kiryogi

Banned
I think some of the ladies in the thread wanted a Jude if theyre up for trading and going through the trouble.

On a diff note...

Jude players,
What happened when you got to the prison in after Karaha Sharl? Did you control Jude/Alvin/Rowen?

Aeana

kiryogi said:
Jude players,
What happened when you got to the prison in after Karaha Sharl? Did you control Jude/Alvin/Rowen?
Yes. That's what I'm in the middle of right now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
LiK said:
mine arrived. i got Jude charm, DAMMIT. I wanted Milla.
But Jude is nice too...

Aeana said:
使命/mission is starting to become this game's MAMORU.
I'm guessing Milla
(going by the OST names and the name of her theme)
is our new Asbel/Sophie (ex: mamoru this, mamoru that, mamoritai, but substitute shimei into the sentences instead)?

Aeana

PoorFate said:
Wow, even though I can read the katakana it's still hard trying to make sense of the options.
Here's a quick and dirty translation.

Message speed [instant, fast, medium, slow]
Automatic message progression [ON/OFF]
Subtitles [ON/OFF]

Minimap [fixed/rotate]

Map Camera
Rotation speed [slow <-> fast]
Up/down orientation [normal/reverse]
Left/right orientation [normal/]reverse]
Automatic compensation [ON/OFF]

Battles
Rank [easy, normal, second, hard]
Encounter confirmation [ON/OFF]
Dynamic camera [ON/OFF]
Controller vibration [ON/OFF]
Input window [normal, long]
Key customize

Sound
Output [stereo/monaural]
BGM volume
SE volume
Voice volume
Movie volume

Thanks Aeana. I could make sense of the message speed, difficulty and dynamic camera, but the rest I couldn't make sense of, or had kanji. I really still have a long way to go.

My copy came earlier this afternoon, but it appears I've lost it (and a few other things) while in transit to a friend's place to play the game.

Feels bad man :/

Aeana

Jude path spoilers... after leaving Karaha Sharl after Gandara Fortress.
Hooooly crap, the solo Ival fight is rough. I'd be doing fine using the teleport backstep thing, but sometimes he is totally cheap and the end of his combo attacks behind him, so I get hit right after teleporting.
I got down to like 5% a tonnn of times before the boss managed to stun me with that stupid earth slash move. Then I figured out the secret:
juggling! It was actually very easy to keep him in the air, and I wish I had thought of trying it before.

Top Bottom