• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Shouta

kiryogi said:
Alright Jude players! I just completed Gugara? prison and curious.

Did you guys get to see Milla take on Nahtigal?

You see the end of the fight where she gets blasted to all hell. It happens just Jude enters the room.

pancakesandsex said:
DSC01315.jpg

It came~! I got normal costume Jude.

nice collection of tales games

Yes! Post came by 2 times today!

First time, no Tales so I thought I wouldn't get it today.

Second time I was coming back home after eating and I saw the guy on the street, with a package from Japan for me.

Xillia GET \o/ My charm was Jude in Xillia outfit, perfect.

kiryogi

Banned
DMPrince said:
tried booting up the game. i got a black screen and it's froze.
I've ran into this issue twice personally myself. No real idea of a solution. Maybe its placebo, but I find letting the game load up/identify itself on the XMB before starting it up seems to work. As dumb as that sounds, I haven't had issues since.

Aeana:
Seems same as Jude from the sound of things for Felghana... Im controlling Jude now! Milla just had to go so crazy and get herself nuked. sigh

Shouta

I got the freeze once but it's worked most other times.

And sheesh, Link Artes do actually go up in number though not as many as between Jude and Milla but Jude + other characters can get some really nice ones going. I'm using one particular one now with Leia and Jude with two powerful spells from Rowen and Elise to clear regular enemies out. It's like the one before but a lot more TP efficient and ridiculously powerful. Making the regular enemies on hard look like chumps, unfortunately bosses are still a bit dicky.

Question : Are the bosses still in "TALES Style ?"

Meaning with their own special mystical artes ? ( mostly unavoidable , like in Abyss , vesperia ) ???

( my package, delayed by the MARIA caribean tempest is now in clearance , hopefully i'll get it today or tomorrow, some dude is clearly busy thinking how much more TAXES i must pay to get this game...... WONDERFULL )

rykomatsu

DMPrince said:
tried booting up the game. i got a black screen and it's froze.

I have to start up another game first, exit, then start Xillia. A downloaded game seems to work fine (ie..don't have to load another disc game first)

matmanx1

Been a busy couple of days but I finally managed to get 15 minutes with Xillia this morning before work. First impressions are that the game is absolutely gorgeous. Even moreso than I would have expected. The lighting is especially nice and I'm a sucker for the type of aesthetic that Jude's starting academy displays.

I'm also hearing some similarities in Sakuraba's ambient tracks here and in the work he did on SO4. It's the Sakuraba that I like the best that is so far on display here. If this keeps up I can definitely see adding this soundtrack to my collection.

I'm at the first port after getting Alvin, man there are some neat additions in Xillia, like the smileys and the exclamation marks. 'Bout time this was added.

Still no Link Arts but should come anytime. I will resume playing in 10 minutes, all evening.

Aeana

Beat the first 'chapter,' finally got a trophy. The first one I've gotten in the game.
The boss I just fought was really, really difficult. I had an extremely difficult time with it, it reminded me of that boss in Vesperia that's also in the demo, the one where you use the plants around the battlefield to stun it. I also found that boss to be unreasonably difficult compared to all previous content in the game (and after it, to be honest). I guess it just proves how much I suck at the game.

InternHertz said:
I'm at the first port after getting Alvin, man there are some neat additions in Xillia, like the smileys and the exclamation marks. 'Bout time this was added.

Still no Link Arts but should come anytime. I will resume playing in 10 minutes, all evening.
should come up when you leave. lol.

-

Also i ended up upgrading the stats thing when i was at the weapon shop. Is it okay if i used the items for that (I just end up using the ones with the bonus. saw that when a lvl was reached it unlocked more items that could be bought.

rykomatsu said:
I have to start up another game first, exit, then start Xillia. A downloaded game seems to work fine (ie..don't have to load another disc game first)
hm. i may try this after work if it locks up again.

Aeana

DMPrince said:
should come up when you leave. lol.

-

Also i ended up upgrading the stats thing when i was at the weapon shop. Is it okay if i used the items for that (I just end up using the ones with the bonus. saw that when a lvl was reached it unlocked more items that could be bought.

hm. i may try this after work if it locks up again.
Those items are only for building the shops, so yes, use them there by all means. It can be beneficial to wait until there are bonuses (sometimes they'll get an x3 bonus instead of an x2, but I don't know what causes the requirements/bonuses to reset), but I usually don't wait.

Sagitario

Datschge said:
Furthermore Sakuraba is confirmed to be the sole composer for this game. Lack of Tamura makes the soundtrack somewhat un-Tales-y sounding. On the other hand I can fully recommend this soundtrack to all Sakuraba fans who avoided Tales soundtracks in the past. More consistent than his past couple works as well, loving it.

Is this a first since Tempest?

Datschge

Sagitario said:
Is this a first since Tempest?
Yes. And I wouldn't even count Tempest as it's not developed by Tales Studio, for Tales Studio/Wolfteam/Telenet Japan developed games it's the first soundtrack he has done alone since 1993.

Aeana said:
Those items are only for building the shops, so yes, use them there by all means. It can be beneficial to wait until there are bonuses (sometimes they'll get an x3 bonus instead of an x2, but I don't know what causes the requirements/bonuses to reset), but I usually don't wait.
awesome. Will go back and build up my shop even if i can't afford most of the items there lol.

3 more hours until i'm off work! can't wait to play again!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
matmanx1 said:
I'm also hearing some similarities in Sakuraba's ambient tracks here and in the work he did on SO4. It's the Sakuraba that I like the best that is so far on display here. If this keeps up I can definitely see adding this soundtrack to my collection.
You may probably like the rest. I can't stop listening to my boyfriend's copy of it because a lot of the tracks are pretty darn good. IMO, at least.

Aeana

DMPrince said:
awesome. Will go back and build up my shop even if i can't afford most of the items there lol.

3 more hours until i'm off work! can't wait to play again!
Building shop levels not only introduces new inventory, it also applies discounts to already unlocked items. So it is worth it to level them as much as you can before buying.

Aeana said:
Building shop levels not only introduces new inventory, it also applies discounts to already unlocked items. So it is worth it to level them as much as you can before buying.
does it matter which i level up for the discounts?

Aeana

DMPrince said:
does it matter which i level up for the discounts?
The discounts apply to each store separately, so if you want discounts on weapons, you need to level up the weapon shop.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, you are leveling up shop types, not individual shops. So your weapon shop level applies to all weapon shops.

Sagitario

Datschge said:
Yes. And I wouldn't even count Tempest as it's not developed by Tales Studio, for Tales Studio/Wolfteam/Telenet Japan developed games it's the first soundtrack he has done alone since 1993.

Tempest still was a Tales contract by Namco, I suppose. You should count it :p

Just saw Elise, and Tipo was the boss!
However I'm wondering something : does someone know if at max level, the Lilial Orb grid is complete ? I've been holding back on the GP consumption (lvl 9 with ~20 GP) until I know more about this. I wouldn't want to spend them without too much care and find out I can't get everything in the end.

Datschge

Sagitario said:
Tempest still was a Tales contract by Namco, I suppose. You should count it :p
Baten Kaitos 1 and Eternal Sonata were also games published by Namco with soundtracks solely by Sakuraba. All those and Tempest are not developed by Tales Studio, so I'm not counting them. =P

Aeana said:
The discounts apply to each store separately, so if you want discounts on weapons, you need to level up the weapon shop.

Edit: in case it wasn't clear, you are leveling up shop types, not individual shops. So your weapon shop level applies to all weapon shops.
Ah okay. Makes sense.

Shouta

InternHertz said:
Just saw Elise, and Tipo was the boss!
However I'm wondering something : does someone know if at max level, the Lilial Orb grid is complete ? I've been holding back on the GP consumption (lvl 9 with ~20 GP) until I know more about this. I wouldn't want to spend them without too much care and find out I can't get everything in the end.

The orb will fill up and then a new one will appear after you've finished the first.

how does this link thing work? i see the flashing cross on me and i hit R2 and it does a special link move. then i see a regular flashing circle like i'm in sync with the other person. what does it mean?

Shouta

DMPrince said:
how does this link thing work? i see the flashing cross on me and i hit R2 and it does a special link move. then i see a regular flashing circle like i'm in sync with the other person. what does it mean?

Flashing Cross = Link Artes opportunity. Regular flashing circle that says Chain Chance appears only during Overlimt and allows you to chain multiple link artes until your Overlimit runs out.

GorillaJu

Japanese in this game continuing to be a hurdle. Tried to read a conversation by a few merchants and had to go through soooooo slowly. Why on earth would I know what 徴用 or 強制 mean?! And 混沌たる宙空! Needs furigana badly :(

Oh well. Fun game still. I need to keep experimenting with other characters.

Also, Rowen with elf ears, smiling glasses and アホ毛 (what the f would you call this in English? Alfalfa spike?) is awesome :)

2sXCj.jpg

kiryogi said:
I've ran into this issue twice personally myself. No real idea of a solution. Maybe its placebo, but I find letting the game load up/identify itself on the XMB before starting it up seems to work. As dumb as that sounds, I haven't had issues since.
tried. didn't work. tried to boot up a psn game. and go to xillia. no go.

Shouta said:
The orb will fill up and then a new one will appear after you've finished the first.
Yeah I know, but what I'm asking is if EVERY node in the grid can be learned at max level.
I saw somewhere the max level is 99, and the number of GP is finite, so if you are max level you automatically have the maximum number of GP. Is that maximum number the same as the total number of nodes is the entire grid?

On another note, 8:53 and at the 3rd port, got 3 or 4 subevents with TO BE CONTINUED on them, that's cool to let you know you can continue those ones until at least next chapter.
Enjoying myself very much I have to say.

edit : I have my answer from Kouli, the Lilial Orb is max-able as you get just enough GP to get every node of the two Orbs. I don't have to worry then.

GorillaJu

Story recap from what I understand so far. Can Shouta or Aeena tell me what I've missed or got wrong?

So 12 years ago some amount of shit went down that changed the world drastically. One of these is Maxwell descending to the village (can't remember the name). Maxwell is a ruler/controller of the four great elemental spirits, Norm, Ifreet, Undine and the wind one whose name isn't coming to me.

Iball took on the job of watching over her, like some kind of steward, I suppose? I didn't quite get all of their relationship, though it's clear to see Iball is jealous that she is entrusting Jude with her protection and has given him more responsibility than she has given Iball.

Humans communicate with the spirits through a gate, which is some kind of neural cortex I suppose? And they maintain a symbiotic relationship - they grant their mana to the spirits and in return the spirits give them Artes, which seem to be what controls everything (technology, medicine, etc). The Lillial orb acts as a medium for power? Confuse there.

Anyway, Mira is chilling and suddenly senses the presence of Jin at the Illfan medical university and goes to investigate. Jude follows her because he's looking for his professor to deliver the good news that his research was selected for a prize/grant maybe. What they find is a laboratory of morbid technology where humans are being used to siphon mana for a giant spear-shaped cannon called Kurusiniku spear. One of the group of evil henchmen is a creepy girl who sets the lab into overdrive, activating the weapon. the four greater spirits jump in to save Mira, and in the process are either destroyed or sucked into it with the mana it was collecting. Thus Mira loses the bulk of her abilities and becomes essentially human.

Alvin is following Jude and Mira under the guise that he's after money and he likes to help people. But he wanders off at times to do things in secret, and is very cryptic and deflective of inquiries. I imagine he knows a lot more than he's letting on, and is probably involved in the political side of the story line, given his involvement in the Crane estate story event and the information it brought to light.

What I'm particularly confused about is Kurusiniku. I was lazilly skimming through the storyline at times and I think I got that Kurusiniku was the first human? Or some kind of diety? The tome in Crane's mansion mentioned that Kurusiniku was from a holy land called Lise (struck me that it was similar to Elise's name, I imagine she is the key to opening up the holy land, and that's why the big fucker with the hammer is being ordered to keep hold of her), and that he brought order to the chaotic skies?

I also caught on that either Maxwell or Kurusiniku had 6 descendants. And there's a rumor that they are still roaming the earth as ghosts. I figure they're either bonus bosses or maybe the henchman that you see following Mira from time to time. Ugh. Confusing!!!

made it to the city after the first port. then the guards came and they ran. met
elise
;3

stopping at the coastal area. i like the enemy design. very cute lol.

Shouta

odd_morsel said:
Story recap from what I understand so far. Can Shouta or Aeena tell me what I've missed or got wrong?

Yeah, sure.

odd_morsel said:
So 12 years ago some amount of shit went down that changed the world drastically. One of these is Maxwell descending to the village (can't remember the name). Maxwell is a ruler/controller of the four great elemental spirits, Norm, Ifreet, Undine and the wind one whose name isn't coming to me.

It was 20 years ago that Maxwell descended on the village in a human body. The 4 Great Spirits are Gnome, Ifrit, Undine, and Sylph.

odd_morsel said:
Iball took on the job of watching over her, like some kind of steward, I suppose? I didn't quite get all of their relationship, though it's clear to see Iball is jealous that she is entrusting Jude with her protection and has given him more responsibility than she has given Iball.

Correct, Ebarl/Ival/Ivarl (however it's spelled) is Milla's Miko or essentialy a steward. He's a bit obssessed wth Milla so he gets jealous of Jude because he thinks he's the only one fit to serve Milla

odd_morsel said:
Humans communicate with the spirits through a gate, which is some kind of neural cortex I suppose? And they maintain a symbiotic relationship - they grant their mana to the spirits and in return the spirits give them Artes, which seem to be what controls everything (technology, medicine, etc). The Lillial orb acts as a medium for power? Confuse there.

Correct. Humans and Spirits are symbiotic. Humans generate mana through a gate in their minds which the spirits need to survive. In return, spirits grant access to the many skills you see the characters perform. The Lillal Orb is an item that acts as a charm of sorts but strengthens their world and shows bonds between characters giving them the ability to do Link Artes

odd_morsel said:
Anyway, Mira is chilling and suddenly senses the presence of Jin at the Illfan medical university and goes to investigate. Jude follows her because he's looking for his professor to deliver the good news that his research was selected for a prize/grant maybe. What they find is a laboratory of morbid technology where humans are being used to siphon mana for a giant spear-shaped cannon called Kurusiniku spear. One of the group of evil henchmen is a creepy girl who sets the lab into overdrive, activating the weapon. the four greater spirits jump in to save Mira, and in the process are either destroyed or sucked into it with the mana it was collecting. Thus Mira loses the bulk of her abilities and becomes essentially human...

Largely, correct. The four spirits jump into the spear, believing that they could save Mira by overloading the Spear of Krishnik (I think that's how it's spelled) but end up captured inside. The thing also sucks up Mana so all the accumulated power Milla had is lost and she starts over from scratch and is forced to learn how to ues a sword.

odd_morsel said:
What I'm particularly confused about is Kurusiniku. I was lazilly skimming through the storyline at times and I think I got that Kurusiniku was the first human? Or some kind of diety? The tome in Crane's mansion mentioned that Kurusiniku was from a holy land called Lise (struck me that it was similar to Elise's name, I imagine she is the key to opening up the holy land, and that's why the big fucker with the hammer is being ordered to keep hold of her), and that he brought order to the chaotic skies?

I also caught on that either Maxwell or Kurusiniku had 6 descendants. And there's a rumor that they are still roaming the earth as ghosts. I figure they're either bonus bosses or maybe the henchman that you see following Mira from time to time. Ugh. Confusing!!!

As I recall, It was Reese Maxia or whatever that was the famous hero and he had 6 disciples himself. He was originally from the village Milla currently resides in. He's not really related to Elise.

It seems that you can't charge Milla's artes if you put them on R-stick shortcut. That would of been useful if they allowed that.

Also, am I the only one having a hard time differentiating between ソ、 ン, ツ and、 シ ingame. They are so similar that I usually forget how the game font represents them when I see them again. Probably one of those things you just get used to I guess.

kiryogi

Banned
PoorFate said:
It seems that you can't charge Milla's artes if you put them on R-stick shortcut. That would of been useful if they allowed that.

Also, am I the only one having a hard time differentiating between ソ、 ン, ツ and、 シ ingame. They are so similar that I usually forget how the game font represents them when I see them again. Probably one of those things you just get used to I guess.

Nope, but when you get the Artes Ball you can just map the charge moves to the L1 variant for left stick.

aw man. died against a boss with only 5% health left. Didn't pay attention to Milla and Alvin's Health. saw the boss was about to use a ground attack so i instinctively decided to run instead of block lol.

kiryogi

Banned
New DLC is up! And like Graces, some of the outfits do change battle bgm!

Imas outfits:

IM@S 2 battle BGM :
- My Best Friend (Milla)
- GO MY WAY!! (Elise)
- shiny smile (Leia)

DMPrince said:
aw man. died against a boss with only 5% health left. Didn't pay attention to Milla and Alvin's Health. saw the boss was about to use a ground attack so i instinctively decided to run instead of block lol.
defeated him in 10 minutes lol. good job.

Proven

Are you absolutely sure you can't spell charge with right stick? I remember in Vesperia I thought you couldn't spell save on the stick until like 20 hours into the game, when I tried holding a direction on the right stick then holding down the artes button or something.
I'm assuming here that spell charge would work the same as spell save.

matmanx1

kiryogi said:
New DLC is up! And like Graces, some of the outfits do change battle bgm!

Imas outfits:

IM@S 2 battle BGM :
- My Best Friend (Milla)
- GO MY WAY!! (Elise)
- shiny smile (Leia)

Now that is pretty cool. I guess that makes the DLC slightly less overpriced? If you are a fan of the content then $5 a pop doesn't suddenly sound too outrageous.

12:39, just got Rowen in my party ^^

I had 92 black feathers when I met the guy who wants them, now I have 106 and got the Artes Ball. I don't know if I'll exchange some of them for items for now, I may wait until further in the game when I want to complete the Item Book.

xero273

hmm just noticed ncsx charges about $20 more for psn cards then PA.. yep, going with PA for my psn card. star driver costume get!

Top Bottom