• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Netto-kun

My copy will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to play the game and sharing impressions with all the guys and girls in this thread.

PoorFate said:
Wow, even though I can read the katakana it's still hard trying to make sense of the options.
Do you have an iPod Touch or iPhone? If so, download the Kotoba dictionary app which is free (though the app itself hasn't been updated for some time). You can ignore the example sentences since some of those have questionable translations. If you have an Android phone, there's an dictionary called Aedict, while Simeji or FlickWnn (and all of those are free!) is needed for Japanese input. There's also Denshi Jisho if you are looking for an easy-to-use online dictionary.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
For Jude...
I hope you like block puzzles.
well there were some block puzzles but not mandatory. Pretty simple stuff too. First instance of puzzles in the game anyway

I just got my third party member and to be honest it is pretty daunting. I pretty much have no idea what's going on besides from what I can infer based on what's happening on screen.

I should expect as much, I only know how to read hiragana/katakana/ and the meaning behind a few words. It'll probably take me a few years to get to the point where I can play games with some awareness of what's happening in the story. I figure if I study enough I should reach that point eventually. But until then, :(.

Netto-kun said:
My copy will arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to play the game and sharing impressions with all the guys and girls in this thread.

Do you have an iPod Touch or iPhone? If so, download the Kotoba dictionary app which is free (though the app itself hasn't been updated for some time). You can ignore the example sentences since some of those have questionable translations. If you have an Android phone, there's an dictionary called Aedict, while Simeji or FlickWnn (and all of those are free!) is needed for Japanese input. There's also Denshi Jisho if you are looking for an easy-to-use online dictionary.

Thanks for the advice, I have actually been using Denshi Jinsho for a while and I like it a lot more than some of the other online dictionaries I have used.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PoorFate said:
I just got my third party member and to be honest it is pretty daunting. I pretty much have no idea what's going on besides from what I can infer based on what's happening on screen.

I should expect as much, I only know how to read hiragana/katakana/ and the meaning behind a few words. It'll probably take me a few years to get to the point where I can play games with some awareness of what's happening in the story. I figure if I study enough I should reach that point eventually. But until then, :(.
Practice and continuous exposure to the language makes perfect! Don't get down about it. Never hesitate to ask for help either.

I learned on my own since high school and when I went through a few SFC games back then, I had similar feelings to yours. There was a point where I was playing a game with a dictionary and grammar next to me (using them whenever I needed to), so it took long for me to progress through games (I did not have access to Japanese classes at all back then). Since entering university and majoring in linguistics, though, I learned better pedagogical methods to learn languages on my own better. Plus a lot of my friends in uni knew the language better than I did, so getting help, book recommendations and conversation practice from them helped a lot.

But I'd highly advise taking a class if it's difficult to self-study, and if you want to get the "performance" part of language fluency down.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
PoorFate said:

Don't worry about it! Just keep at it. When you can't have a real immersion experience, using things like games can be very helpful because it forces you to remember certain things. Also, even if it takes a lot of effort, read everything you are able to even if you don't understand it. The constant exposure will help.

I'm actually doing the same for German right now (playing games in German.) My German level is pretty low, but it is always exciting when I can understand a full conversation (even if just a short one.) It's a lot of fun!

DSC01315.jpg

It came~! I got normal costume Jude.

Datschge

Transcribed most of the developer part of the staff roll. A couple observations:
- Staff list definitely is a mix of ToV and ToH (and by extension NDX), to me it even feels more like a ToH follow up staff wise than a ToV one due to all the missing major "TS" staff.
- All the who's who of both "Team Symphonia" and "Team Destiny" reside in the Special Thanks section.
- Except Takashi Hasegawa, previous "TS" project leader, is now in the Scenario section headed "SWOT by NTS". (Huh???)
- Programming is mostly done by one person, Toyokazu Endo, but there are three support programmers for the battle system, one who did the same on ToH and battle planning on NDX, and one who did battle programming on ToG (all three are so new that they didn't appear in a localized Tales game yet, so no romanization).
- Female staff just keep marrying their co-workers...

Aeana said:
So you won your bet, DMPrince?

Let's all talking about Xillia omggg.
This thread is so dead. :(
yeah
and i also got my mini usb cable in today too LOL. just started. i'm glad i played past tales game. makes the menu easier to understand lol.

Aeana

Let me know if you need any help.
I'm just running back and forth trying to get black feathers. (._. )
EDIT: Yess, 100 feathers. Except now I can't get back to the merchant for a while. :( Drat.

Trying to get the hang of Link artes, half the time I use the required arte and forget to press R2. Also, I'm not sure exactly what you have to do to make the overlimit bar flash allowing you to use link artes.

I know you have to attack at the same time with your partner to do that flash combo to build meter, but it seems that the link arte indicator (at the top of the overlimit bar) will flash at random times.

Aeana

PoorFate said:
Trying to get the hang of Link artes, half the time I use the required arte and forget to press R2. Also, I'm not sure exactly what you have to do to make the overlimit bar flash allowing you to use link artes.

I know you have to attack at the same time with your partner to do that flash combo to build meter, but it seems that the link arte indicator (at the top of the overlimit bar) will flash at random times.
It's not random. The meter is divided into subsections. Each time one of the subsections is filled, it starts flashing.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've been stealth reading this thread for a while and I really want to get into it but I'm a Tales virgin so I'm not sure if I should pick of Vesperia or this first..

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
EDIT: Yess, 100 feathers. Except now I can't get back to the merchant for a while. :( Drat.
Haha. I ended up harvesting a ton for about an hour at least before reaching where I'm at. Reasoning was that I accidently sold sakura petals for a sidequest, so I went back at it and it took almost an hour before I found more. Bright side was that I was running into lots of black feathers and materials.

Aeana said:
what is the 2 saves about? the one in the menu and the other one from the save point? ;o

Aeana

DMPrince said:
what is the 2 saves about? the one in the menu and the other one from the save point? ;o
You have regular saves at save points, and you have a quicksave that you can use anywhere. It's pretty much a regular save, it isn't deleted when you load it. I dunno why they didn't just let you save anywhere in any slot you want to with a setup like that, but that's how it is.

klee123

I won't get mine till the end of this week.

My X edition got returned to my friend because apparantly the Japanese customs won't allow products with li ion batteries to be shipped outside of Japan. So he took out the controller and is just shipping me the game and the console now.

I also got hit with a 7000 yen bill as well, as the postal service won't issue refunds. -_-

jae

Finally got mine this afternoon. Regular Milla charm. Only played an hour or so, combat is pretty fun so far.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
klee123 said:
I won't get mine till the end of this week.

My X edition got returned to my friend because apparantly the Japanese customs won't allow products with li ion batteries to be shipped outside of Japan. So he took out the controller and is just shipping me the game and the console now.

I also got hit with a 7000 yen bill as well, as the postal service won't issue refunds. -_-

Ouch :( That seems really odd... but good to know for the future I suppose.

Aeana

The moving assault skill is pretty awesome, yet at the same time a bit disappointing. I don't like how it's tied to the attack button at all. Sometimes I end up using it more than just once, which eats up my AC.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
The moving assault skill is pretty awesome, yet at the same time a bit disappointing. I don't like how it's tied to the attack button at all. Sometimes I end up using it more than just once, which eats up my AC.
It is very awesome, although I don't like how when I use it on Milla that it causes an up attack, which leaves her vulnerable on recovery. At least in its current state.

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
kiryogi, out of curiosity, what's the Felghana Mine part like on Milla's path?
No idea yet. . . I'm still at the prison, that's where I last left off. I hope to progress past that tonight.

matmanx1

I think I got my image hosting woes solved so I'm going to try this again. I've been posting on message boards for years so you'd think I would know all I need to know about inserting images but I really don't.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/6797e

Anyway, it's a good looking console although the "gold" color is a little more orange'ish than I would have preferred. It's definitely a "K" model PS3 as well and the quietest running of the 3 PS3's that I have owned. 2.5 hours today I spent downloading stuff running it constantly and it never got louder than a whisper.

Shouta

Aeana said:
So you won your bet, DMPrince?

Let's all talking about Xillia omggg.
This thread is so dead. :(

I'm at work and I'm also farther than most folks so I can't talk about where I am as much.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How are you finding the game so far Aeana as compared to Abyss, Vesperia, and Graces? :p

Labadal

Shouta said:
You know, you could wait on the comparison until we're done. =p

I have some questions:

How does cooking work?
Do titles have any effects?
Are monster types reused with colour swaps?
Are item collector book and monster book in?
Are dungeons big? Do you like the design of the world?

Sorry for all the questions. :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Shouta said:
You know, you could wait on the comparison until we're done. =p

Can't help it when the game sounds so astonishing (and it's because I like Abyss so much, if this is better than Abyss, well my hype will be up full force). :p

FSLink

Banned
Yay, got some hiougis for the characters. :D Have Rowen's, Alvin's, and Leia's now. Anybody know how to do
Kogahazan: Agito?
Also for anybody who's farther than me, I'm stuck..
currently back in the first town, and watched some scenes in the laboratory place, where do I go next?
EDIT: Figured it out, never mind.

As for impressions, I could post some tomorrow... at the moment I'm actually liking it more than Graces and Vesperia, but we'll see if it's just the "shiny brand new game" effect or not.

klee123

Kagari said:
Ouch :( That seems really odd... but good to know for the future I suppose.

All I can say is, if you're trying to get a vita at the end of this year, either choose NCSX or Play-Asia.....

Lumiere

Neo Member
My copy arrived Saturday and I wasn't home - picked it up today. Got standard Milla charm.

I didn't have much time to play today and I still haven't made up my mind about who to pick - thought I would choose Milla but I'm having second thoughts. Maybe I'll play both prologues and decide after that.

Shouta

Labadal said:
I have some questions:

How does cooking work?
Do titles have any effects?
Are monster types reused with colour swaps?
Are item collector book and monster book in?
Are dungeons big? Do you like the design of the world?

Sorry for all the questions. :)

You buy food items from the Cooking shop and eat it for effects. The higher the cooking shop's level, the more selection and cheaper the price gets. You get a good variety of effects and they last for a certain number of battles before the effect runs out. You can also overwrite bonuses by eating another food. There's even 100% more Gald or EXP point food items as well though they are expensive.

Title don't have effects, they give Grade though so you don't get grade from battle.

Monster types are reused but they usually change the textures or add something to it to make it look different.

Monster and Item books are in.

Dungeons are solid, pretty big most of the time and lots of items to find. Very few puzzles though. World Design is very good, very good asthetics and the linked field world system has always been a favorite of mine.

FSLink said:
Yay, got some hiougis for the characters. :D Have Rowen's, Alvin's, and Leia's now. Anybody know how to do
Kogahazan: Agito?
Also for anybody who's farther than me, I'm stuck..
currently back in the first town, and watched some scenes in the laboratory place, where do I go next?

As for impressions, I could post some tomorrow... at the moment I'm actually liking it more than Graces and Vesperia, but we'll see if it's just the "shiny brand new game" effect or not.

Hi-Ougis should be the same as before, use the particular Artes during Overlimit and hold the circle button to activate it after it launches.

ULTROS!

How does the world map look like? Like Vesperias?

I was under the impression that its "world map" is kinda like Graces'.

FSLink

Banned
Shouta said:
Hi-Ougis should be the same as before, use the particular Artes during Overlimit and hold the circle button to activate it after it launches.
Yeah, I figured that out, my question was if anybody knew how to do the
dual hi-ougi with Jude and Milla...is it a 2nd playthrough thing or do you need a certain skill first?

ULTROS! said:

It's like Graces, but there's lots of ledges and hidden areas with treasure and items, the fields are also much much bigger.

Labadal

Thank you for taking the time to anwser my questions. A shame titles are only Grade related. I haven't played Graces F yet, but titles seemed to be used in a good way in that game.

Shouta

ULTROS! said:

It's a Linked Map World so there is no overworld to the game. You run through field zones that have enemies, loot, and quests to get from one area to another. It's like Star Ocean 1/3/4.

Titles were used as the growth system in Graces which is why it was used well. It's not like titles have been used as a major growth system in the majority of Tales games so it's mostly back to normal for them. Honestly, it's nice not having to switch titles all the time to an extent.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright Jude players! I just completed Gugara? prison and curious.

Did you guys get to see Milla take on Nahtigal?

Top Bottom