• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

OK my copy arrived ..but i'm at work ... my ENTHUSIAM metter is going way up ...posting my impressions tomorrow ..

i saw the price for Dlc yesterday night ..500Y by costume... it's a bit much i think ...

Rarutos

R_thanatos said:
OK my copy arrived ..but i'm at work ... my ENTHUSIAM metter is going way up ...posting my impressions tomorrow ..

i saw the price for Dlc yesterday night ..500Y by costume... it's a bit much i think ...
Graces f and Vesperia were about the same I think. Definitely overpriced, not even costume packs to reduce it by a couple hundred yen or something, despite the fact that the majority of them are in a set...

Datschge

kiryogi said:
New DLC is up! And like Graces, some of the outfits do change battle bgm!

Imas outfits:

IM@S 2 battle BGM :
- My Best Friend (Milla)
- GO MY WAY!! (Elise)
- shiny smile (Leia)
So are these arrangements/instrumentals like in ToGf or the original pieces with vocals?

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Ok so... I've never played a Tales game.

Should I try this one? ;p

I'd play an translated one first. Unless of course you can understand Japanese.

You can get Vesperia of the marketplace for $20 (?).

Lucis

costume dlc way too fucking over priced. i ended up buying ayumi's cd for the only costume i want though ;/ all other ones are pretty damn crappy this time around IMO

About the link artes and party members

in battle how does one be linked to a party member? Most of the time i'm with milla. only time i can be with alvin is when the link breaks.
is there a way to switch or does it do it automatically or do i have to be near them and attack the same monster with them?

seipherzero

Neo Member
Random thought... I would thoroughly enjoy Mawaru-Penguindrum DLC costumes.

• Millia= Himari Survival Strategy costume. After hearing what kiryogi said about the IM@S dlc having matching BGMS, it would be fitting to hear the "Survival Strategy" BGM play.
  • Jude= Shoma
  • Alvin= Kanba
  • Leia= Ringo
  • Elise= Penguin #3 (Tippo= Penguin #2)
  • Rowen= Penguin #1

Anyways, the Chain Chance finally clicked with me last night- thanks to FSLink and ryokomatsu. Has anyone else thought that jRPG games "recently" have had a higher learning curve for the battle system (RoF/EoE and ToX most recently for me)? I guess it's just the action-esque battle systems that get me. I always want to spam attacks in the beginning like some musou game... ;p

Still loving ToX ;]

Rarutos

seipherzero said:

• Millia= Himari Survival Strategy costume. After hearing what kiryogi said about the IM@S dlc having matching BGMS, it would be fitting to hear the "Survival Strategy" BGM play.
  • Jude= Shoma
  • Alvin= Kanba
  • Leia= Ringo
  • Rowen= Penguin #1
Nah, Elise should be Yuri, and Rowen should be Tabuki. :p

FSLink

Banned
Datschge said:
So are these arrangements/instrumentals like in ToGf or the original pieces with vocals?
Instrumentals iirc.

Lucis said:
costume dlc way too fucking over priced. i ended up buying ayumi's cd for the only costume i want though ;/ all other ones are pretty damn crappy this time around IMO
Yeah, though the Tales cameo costumes are pretty neat. Leon again though is pretty ugh.

seipherzero said:

• Jude= Shoma
  • Alvin= Kanba
  • Leia= Ringo
  • Rowen= Penguin #1

Anyways, the Chain Chance finally clicked with me last night- thanks to FSLink and ryokomatsu. Has anyone else thought that jRPG games "recently" have had a higher learning curve for the battle system (RoF/EoE and ToX most recently for me)? I guess it's just the action-esque battle systems that get me. I always want to spam attacks in the beginning like some musou game... ;p

Still loving ToX ;]

are you trying to give ideas to namco japan ?? Given how much this sold in japan (more than 500K ) a second set of dlc could be in the works ....

Anyway Copy GET , milla Keychain Get , installing ATM...

Aeana

I guess I'm starting to bend a bit with Tipo. I hadn't seen him in a while and I was surprised that I was honestly happy to see him just now.

Aeana

uMcpd.jpg

Fiiiiiiiinallllyyyy made it back here to get this. It is about time.

ok got a taste .. mIlla MAXWELL side .. very impressed.i knew it was faster than normal team symphonia games , but the battle system is a strange mix ..I Like it .. the delirius taste of the Mp artes system with the fast paced Team destiny flavor ... Does anyone know where i coul know in detail how the Orb enhancing system works ? i guess i should star looking at faqs since i don't want to upgrade in the dark ..

Very impressive game so far ..

kiryogi

Banned
Aeana said:
uMcpd.jpg

Fiiiiiiiinallllyyyy made it back here to get this. It is about time.

Hahaha. I was like 5 feathers short after the prison and since I got your warning, I spent half an hour harvesting the final 5 and picked it up. Hurrah, now I can nuke with impunity as Milla without any problems.

Now I'm hoping to get a total of 400 eventually or at some point :/

Shouta

PoorFate said:
Anyone else playing on Hard? I find the enemies kind of die too fast before I can do some good combos on normal.

I have since the beginning. At times, the enemies feel like they have to much HP, at least early on. It's not so bad later into the game though after you've gotten stronger.

I'm getting near the end point of the game or so of the game, I think. Or at least something that looks like it.

kiryogi

Banned
PoorFate said:
Anyone else playing on Hard? I find the enemies kind of die too fast before I can do some good combos on normal.

I'm playing on Second personally. I tend to do hard on TS games and Second on TD games. That said though, after seeing on stream how fast the enemies were dying off, I had to kick up the diff.

Aeana: Wow, didn't realize how far you were. I just got the first chapter acchievement last night too. Guess we're both moving at slow paces XD

Also, did you notice in Lu Londe (or Lu ronde? whatever.) how the langauge of the area is written with a mix of chinese characters and hangol ? I think that actually the entire langauge of Liese Maxia is something like that if I recall correctly from other signage. It's an interesting mix.

Aeana

kiryogi said:
I'm playing on Second personally. I tend to do hard on TS games and Second on TD games. That said though, after seeing on stream how fast the enemies were dying off, I had to kick up the diff.

Aeana: Wow, didn't realize how far you were. I just got the first chapter acchievement last night too. Guess we're both moving at slow paces XD

Also, did you notice in Lu Londe (or Lu ronde? whatever.) how the langauge of the area is written with a mix of chinese characters and hangol ? I think that actually the entire langauge of Liese Maxia is something like that if I recall correctly from other signage. It's an interesting mix.
Well, it's definitely a made-up script. There isn't any actual Hangul used. It's pretty interesting, but I haven't taken the time to analyze it.

If you just got that trophy, then you are right behind me. I didn't play at all last night.

17:42, L.Lv 21, just got Leia and saved right after that. I'm wondering how that part is going to play like on Milla's side (don't tell me, I'll see that for myself).
Got more or less 150 black feathers (yay 850 left to go >.<), shops are for the most part at lv30. I'm using most of my items when they're at bonus X3, so I may need to wait long before I can use them up. If only there was a way to force a bonus of a certain type on any shop you want...

FSLink

Banned
Yeah, I usually play on Hard mode for Tales games, only one I didn't was Destiny 2....man the difficulty in that game's crazy, I went with Second on that one.
Xillia's pretty decent balance-wise on Hard mode, nowhere near as ridiculous as Vesperia at the beginning (Fuck those battles where there were 7 soldiers against you as Yuri and Free Run was so slow early on) there's a few bosses that feel like they have too much HP...I'm looking at you, end of part 1 boss.
Also Normal doesn't give you enough chances to do Link Arte Chains, due to enemies dying too fast and that's no fun. :(

LiK

quick question to ToX PS3 bundle owners. Anything preinstalled on the HDD? like bonus themes, avatars etc? i'm gonna upgrade it to a 500GB and i need to know. thanks.

matmanx1

LiK said:
quick question to ToX PS3 bundle owners. Anything preinstalled on the HDD? like bonus themes, avatars etc? i'm gonna upgrade it to a 500GB and i need to know. thanks.

Nope it's clean. The DLC voucher for the themes and stuff is in the game case. Upgrade away.

jae

Any recommendations on where to farm the black feathers? I'm at like ~60 or so. Just got Rowen. I would like to get 100 before I go much further, if possible.

kiryogi

Banned
jae said:
Any recommendations on where to farm the black feathers? I'm at like ~60 or so. Just got Rowen. I would like to get 100 before I go much further, if possible.

If you're brave, toss the game into easy difficulty and just farm from the wet lands.

I do warn you that doing anything there successfully can break the game for you lol.

Aeana

That reminds me, now that grade is not affected by combat, do the difficulty levels have any other bonuses attached to them? I haven't tried changing it from normal.

kiryogi

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
So once and for all to those playing ti: How does it compare to Vesperia?
So much better. But I don't hold Vesperia in a very high regard like most folks. Then again, most folks didn't get to play Graces.

FSLink

Banned
airmangataosenai said:
So once and for all to those playing ti: How does it compare to Vesperia?
Much better, though I liked the graphical style in Vesperia a bit more. However, some of the locales in Xillia are really really nice. Though I think Vesperia has better DLC costumes and it looks like it has more end-game content than Xillia does.
Gameplay wise, Xillia beats it easily. Free Run feels like a nice medium between Abyss and Vesperia, not too fast, not too slow, and the gameplay pace is very quick. I actually do kind of enjoy the battles a bit more than Graces since it feels very varied with the link arte chains and bigger arte lists overall, and the combination of AC and TP works surprisingly well.

Shouta

Well, this game keeps tossing twists and keeps going more than I expected and it's actually really good. If the ending is good, I'd say this is probably the best Tales story to date.

kiryogi

Banned
HAHA I DID IT! 400 BLACK FEATHERS! Only took 4 hours of farming at least! + Got my 5000y card so DLC galore.

Dat zettai ryouki. . .

Also besides BGM changes, it changes the fanfare to the imas theme too haha. Amusing bit to say the least.

I've also finally tamed Milla's hair thanks to the swimsuit DLC. You an attachment or two per outfit depending that can be used by anyone. IE Elise's swimsuit outfit as a Mieu attachment, So I attached him and Baul to Ginga Jude for max awesome. I have so many different hair options now too.

To note, the Utahime hair for Milla is much more free flowing and lively compared to default, it's also a lot less frizzles. I only just noticed that now while messing around with my new options.

Shouta said:
Well, this game keeps tossing twists and keeps going more than I expected and it's actually really good. If the ending is good, I'd say this is probably the best Tales story to date.

What I'm hearing out there tho . . .
isn't quite as pretty.

Shouta

The Praiseworthy said:
So... which have the better Story and Characters? TOV or TOX?

This is the most important thing to me.

Xillia, it's no contest and I'm not quite at the end yet. It'd have to really botch the ending to bring it down though.

Aeana said:
I definitely like Vesperia's cast better.
Really?
Shouta said:
Xillia, it's no contest and I'm not quite at the end yet. It'd have to really botch the ending to bring it down though.
Well then I can't wait till you finish the game and share your thoughts with us.

btw... how Tales of Xillia is pronounced? Xsillia or Zillia!? I remember hearing Zillia but I just want to make sure.

kiryogi

Banned
The Praiseworthy said:
Really?

Well then I can't wait till you finish the game and share your thoughts with us.

btw... how Tales of Xillia is pronounced? Xsillia or Zillia!? I remember hearing Zillia but I just want to make sure.

Ekushiria. Probablly Zillia in english.

Yknow there's ending videos lying around if you're really that curious.

Aeana

The Praiseworthy said:
Yes. Nobody in Xillia even comes remotely close to Yuri or Rita for me. Truth be told, Yuri is the only Tales lead I've ever liked. I only actively dislike Elise from the Xillia cast, but the rest aren't particularly great in my eyes.

kiryogi said:
Ekushiria. Probablly Zillia in english.

Yknow there's ending videos lying around if you're really that curious.

o_O"

.... um what?

you are suggesting me to watch the ending videos of one of my most anticipated game ever o_O"

not even the less anticipated game ever.... no no no !

Aeana said:
Yes. Nobody in Xillia even comes remotely close to Yuri or Rita for me. Truth be told, Yuri is the only Tales lead I've ever liked. I only actively dislike Elise from the Xillia cast, but the rest aren't particularly great in my eyes.
Hmmm... yeah, Yuri is very likable as I've heard of... but I find TOX Characters design is more appealing .

Top Bottom