• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

kiryogi

Banned
Dark Schala said:
I almost want to buy a JPSN card for this.

Originally I wasn't going to get the Kratos outfit as I wasn't a big fan of it, and prefer Alvins other outfits. But with the bonus PSN rebate I got + knowing its "End of a Thought", it was a must have.

And yeah, I spent enough during sept to get 500y back lawlz D:

Jijidasu

He didn't like Rowen!? blasphemy.

Rowen is so awesome. Rowen's character has started to kick off a liking for the elderly characters in games now. That, and he sounds like my wife's grandfather.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Disgaeamad said:
Rowen is perhaps one of the classiest characters in a videogame to date. How can he not love him!
Because he can't understand Japanese (well, he can get a small amount of it, but not the bulk of it). :p

He also said Rowen was like a glass cannon during battle. Really good at magic, but can get hit hard.

Edit: Oh wow. He's no Wakamoto, but hahaha (possible character and costume spoilers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRjfsYxloA

Dark Schala said:
Because he can't understand Japanese (well, he can get a small amount of it, but not the bulk of it). :p
Aha, I seemed to have forgotten that fact! Understandable then.

My body was not ready for Wakarowen.

kiryogi said:
I retried that battle so many times lol. I eventually had something down for dealing with it. XD And yeah, I fought on second as well.

Also to confirm, just picked up the Tales cameo costumes myself. THEY DO CHANGE BATTLE MUSIC, and as someone feared. . . Yes, Leon's costume's theme is "Irony of Fate". But on fun note, Krato's theme is "End of a Thought" :D But it also seems they included more than 1 version for some costumes

Leon - Irony of Fate
Dhaos - Conclusion
Kratos - End of a Thought
Mint - Take up the Cross
Farah - Inferia Battle
Barbatos - Coup de Grace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0AM9DnfYdY

And those saying Jude is faster than Milla under mind period just how fast he is. He's like Guy levels of wrong honestly. And although Milla is awkward in comparison, she is an aerial goddess. Her and Leia are like Judy 2.0

I ....want this ...Will probably finish my save first , and go Dlc during my next games ( still in my first play )

Jijidasu

Alright a little off topic here but I'm considering Graces F and/or Vesperia as my next tales of title. I suppose I have a preference for a story that develops with a mix of tones and also, a bit of love interest between the characters! Don't shoot me!

So, guru's, tell me which one, or rather, detail it for me!

Datschge

In short: Vesperia for story/characters, Graces for gameplay. You only mention the former, but I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about Vesperia's gameplay as it's definitely quite a step back coming from Xillia (and even more so from Graces).

Aeana

Autumn Thread said:
Alright a little off topic here but I'm considering Graces F and/or Vesperia as my next tales of title. I suppose I have a preference for a story that develops with a mix of tones and also, a bit of love interest between the characters! Don't shoot me!

Graces! Click here to find out why~

kiryogi

Banned
Autumn Thread said:

Youll find more romance in Graces than Vesperia easily.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Autumn Thread said:

There's more romance in Graces than Vesperia, but it isn't a huge focal point of the story (expect to hear MAMORU a lot).

In terms of going for a better narrative, Vesperia's your target here.

In terms of an awesome battle system, a good implementation of titles, cooking and other nice stuff related to what the game can offer, go with Graces.

Shouta

Autumn Thread said:

Story is a little better in Vesperia on the whole, characters are roughly about the same in both. Combat is better in Graces F but Vesperia probably has more content overall.

Jijidasu

Great. Thanks for the information guys. I'll pickup both as they're probably dead cheap at GEO or Bicc now. I'll pop in after work.

I might try finish a little more content in Xillia first too, I've still got that 'attachment' to the game, I suppose.

[edit]

I was taking a break from the other projects at work and thought I'd do a doodle of Milla. Forgive me if I've trespassed on some anime related laws of representation. I almost never do fan art as I seldom draw 'stylised' stuff. Anyhow, Milla is just too awesome not to get some attention.

rf8ev.jpg

Zhund0r

Neo Member
Wow, awesome! She should have been like this in the game :p It would be interesting to see how the picture looks in color though :/

FSLink

Banned
Dark Schala said:

He also said Rowen was like a glass cannon during battle. Really good at magic, but can get hit hard.

Edit: Oh wow. He's no Wakamoto, but hahaha (possible character and costume spoilers): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRjfsYxloA
Yeah, Rowen is really like a glass cannon in battles...honestly I usually find little reason to have him in since it's better to have tons of Link Artes, and casting magic is not as useful as Vesperia (where it was pretty broken honestly).
Usually I go with Jude/Milla/Elise/Alvin or Leia depending on if I need another hitter or healer.

Shouta

Elise + Rowen is ridiculous actually. Particular Negative Gate/Tidal Wave for gathering enemies then using a good Link Artes on them. You can seriously rip through a ton of enemies quickly that way.

Sagitario

kiryogi said:
I retried that battle so many times lol. I eventually had something down for dealing with it. XD And yeah, I fought on second as well.

Also to confirm, just picked up the Tales cameo costumes myself. THEY DO CHANGE BATTLE MUSIC, and as someone feared. . . Yes, Leon's costume's theme is "Irony of Fate". But on fun note, Krato's theme is "End of a Thought" :D But it also seems they included more than 1 version for some costumes

Leon - Irony of Fate
Dhaos - Conclusion
Kratos - End of a Thought
Mint - Take up the Cross
Farah - Inferia Battle
Barbatos - Coup de Grace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0AM9DnfYdY

And those saying Jude is faster than Milla under mind period just how fast he is. He's like Guy levels of wrong honestly. And although Milla is awkward in comparison, she is an aerial goddess. Her and Leia are like Judy 2.0

Take up the Cross <3 [I would have prefered Decisive instead of Conclusion].
This video reminded me of how much I like Tales battle music. Sakuraba <3.

kiryogi

Banned
Despera said:
Love it. Definitely better than the original design, but I think that goes without saying.

Tales games in general need a facelift.

Uh, it wouldn't be Tales if they went with that kind of face lift. I love the art and all, but the above comments are a bit ridiculous.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That pic of Milla up there is fantastic. I really love your style. And you said it's just a doodle? It definitely isn't! I wish my doodles looked like that, lol.

Anyway, I finally popped Xillia in for a little bit as I needed a rest from my studies and the stress that comes with it (busting shit up in a game helps, I guess). The reversible cover is kinda nice, but I prefer Tales of Graces F's more.

Right off the bat, it is absolutely gorgeous; far better in person than screens or videos. I get the feeling that the first town is supposed to give the player the feeling that this Tales game is going to start off with a bang in terms of visuals (I heard that it gets somewhat lacking later on). The animated scenes are really awesome... love Ufotable's work here. Beginning the game was also interesting in that it didn't go right into the OP and the title screen. The character models for that selection screen were also very nice to look at. The menu UI is also very pretty. Coming off from Graces F, it's a nice change and it looks really damn slick in comparison.

It's really interesting in that I was not feeling this game visually at all prior to release, but now that I'm seeing it for myself, I think it looks good. Milla's prologue scene was pretty intriguing, but I decided to stick with Jude since that was my original plan.

I fought a few battles in the Institute, which were pretty neat... mostly because of Backstep. Backstep is incredibly cool, and I think it keeps the battle flowing better in terms of offensive attack. I might have to play Legendia a bit again to see how he stacks up against Senel, but it seems like he "feels" better (ie: less... "sluggish" than Senel, I guess). I'm on Elart Road at the moment, got Alvin, and Link Arts seem interesting enough. I like that you can swap links with the D-Pad as well. I'll need some time to work with it and see what I like about it and what I dislike about it, though. So far it seems pretty fun. Milla can paralyze, Jude can recover and Alvin can break guards. It kind of seems like a nice dynamic. If you ask me, battles seemed to get better after you got Link Arts.

I also got a Milla charm. I really wanted a Jude one, but I don't mind Milla too much. I have to remember to input my FIVE for her costume, as well as the other DLC that the game came with.

I'm liking what I've played of the battle system. It certainly isn't Graces (and I really liked Graces'), but I hope it shapes up to be something really cool. I think I'm going to let go, give it a chance and have some fun with it before I compare the system with Graces'. Also, it's really nice maining another martial artist.

It's too bad I won't be able to get more time into this until Friday, though.

i have to say it now ..senel is probably the worse monk class character in all the tales of games ...

Jude is one of my favorite monks ..yeah back step is incredibly cool and fun to use.

NOthing IMO will move Farah from my number one monk character ( farah did everything right ) .

i was like you and couldn't play the game ...if you like the start, it get better afterwards minus one thing !!!

Shouta

What? Senel is one of the best monks in the Tales series. Huge variety of attacks, tons of hits, and his throw mechanic was fun even if it wasn't used to its potential. Jude copies some of Senel's attack in fact.

Shouta said:
What? Senel is one of the best monks in the Tales series. Huge variety of attacks, tons of hits, and his throw mechanic was fun even if it wasn't used to its potential. Jude copies some of Senel's attack in fact.

For me Senel lacked charisma and the crazyness of farah ( in his attacks ) i just couldn't enjoy this characterboth in game and in battle. Jude is faster and way more fun to use . Jude uis better all around thank to his healing stuff ( and he is faster ) and farah is just above in term of damage and solo playing ...

that's what i think.i found legendia enjoyable , but no thanks to senel.

As for the copying of attack that's just because their share the same class ( like how every swordman use majinken )

Shouta

Well, Jude is faster but that's a function of the game's battle system and not Senel himself. Farah is definitely not a better damager or solo than Senel either so, meh. You just don't like the white hair!

And sharing the same class is definitely not the only reason why, most of the other major monks in Tales don't have movesets that are like and not even close to Senel's.

matmanx1

Well my Xillia playthrough got seriously disrupted when my X Edition PS3 (and several other devices) got fried by lightning recently. Lost hours of progress on Xillia, Demon's Souls and Gundam 3. =(

Luckily insurance is going to reimburse my purchase price for the console but my save files are gone forever. Oh well, the game is good and fun enough to enjoy the do over.

matmanx1 said:
Well my Xillia playthrough got seriously disrupted when my X Edition PS3 (and several other devices) got fried by lightning recently. Lost hours of progress on Xillia, Demon's Souls and Gundam 3. =(

Luckily insurance is going to reimburse my purchase price for the console but my save files are gone forever. Oh well, the game is good and fun enough to enjoy the do over.

Man that sucks! Really sorry to hear that. My console uses the cloud saves daily for me. But that me be a PS+ exclusive. At least you had insurance.

Good to see that you're enjoying it, Dark Schala. Link mode definitely gets better and better as you get more characters to experiment with and do Link Arts with (even though I just stuck with Leia and Jude after getting all the link mode related titles). And don't fret in regards to the visuals; while the field maps aren't amazing or anything, there's some really nice looking "dungeon" areas, and a bunch of the towns look really great, though Il Fan is definitely the most impressive I'd say.

matmanx1 said:

y5aQq.jpg

I feel for you bro. Just the idea of anything happening to my Xillia PS3 keeps me up at night. Good to hear you're getting reimbursed, at least. You gonna just get a normal one or try and get another Xillia one?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
R_thanatos said:
i was like you and couldn't play the game ...if you like the start, it get better afterwards minus one thing !!!
Minus one thing, eh? Hmmm...

Shouta said:
Well, Jude is faster but that's a function of the game's battle system and not Senel himself. Farah is definitely not a better damager or solo than Senel either so, meh. You just don't like the white hair!

And sharing the same class is definitely not the only reason why, most of the other major monks in Tales don't have movesets that are like and not even close to Senel's.
White hair, you say?

4v1yqq.png

I figured it was probably due to the fluidity of Xillia's battle system, but I'll check again on the weekend to see if it's the case. Senel's movesets are interesting, so I want to work with Jude a little more to see what's up with him.

Disgaeamad said:
Good to see that you're enjoying it, Dark Schala. Link mode definitely gets better and better as you get more characters to experiment with and do Link Arts with (even though I just stuck with Leia and Jude after getting all the link mode related titles). And don't fret in regards to the visuals; while the field maps aren't amazing or anything, there's some really nice looking "dungeon" areas, and a bunch of the towns look really great, though Il Fan is definitely the most impressive I'd say.
And it seems like Link mode is extremely important if you're playing on a harder difficulty, like using everyone's specials to make the battles flow better or easier. I like it a lot so far because it makes battles more fun.

The dungeons had better be nice after Wallbridge Underground, lol (but I disliked that place mostly because of the music). It's too bad I have so many things to do this week and can't play it until the weekend. :(

Gillian Seed said:
If Tales Of Graces is really that much better than Vesperia, then i cant Fricking Wait! I loved everything about Vesperia! :)
The way Graces' battle system works is a tad different from Vesperia's as it employs CC rather than TP. I think this is for the best, though, as I really like the use of CC (which you can manually restore through defending or making the right moves in battle)... plus you get penalized -1CC for free run (which I like). But it's far more fluid because it uses CC rather than TP because you can put more offensive pressure on the enemy. It's extremely satisfying when you're playing on Chaos difficulty.

If anything, Xillia's battle system seems more like it's an evolution of other TS battle systems like Vesperia's at the moment.

matmanx1 said:
Well my Xillia playthrough got seriously disrupted when my X Edition PS3 (and several other devices) got fried by lightning recently
Augh, that makes me cringe (because it cost a lot of money, but luckily you have the insurance). I'm so sorry to hear that.

kiryogi said:
Uh, it wouldn't be Tales if they went with that kind of face lift. I love the art and all, but the above comments are a bit ridiculous.

I agree. The only difference really is the face, and considering the rest of the design it almost seems a little out of place. I mean it looks good and all but I'm not about to say they should replace the series' art style with it.

Datschge

PoorFate said:
I agree. The only difference really is the face, and considering the rest of the design it almost seems a little out of place. I mean it looks good and all but I'm not about to say they should replace the series' art style with it.
They already kind of tried that with Tales of Hearts CG Edition (even if it only affected the FMVs). I think the response ensured they won't do that again.

Datschge said:
They already kind of tried that with Tales of Hearts CG Edition (even if it only affected the FMVs). I think the response ensured they won't do that again.

Yeah, that was pretty terrible if you ask me. Leave that kind of art style for games where it fits instead of shoehorning it in.

@matmanx1

I feel for you ..reallyi'm on my 2nd PS3 so far and this one is electricity protected i also take care to not let any chances when lighting is around .. if something like that happenned to me i would ..i would ...

At least now you'll be better at demon souls

@Dark Schala
The one thing is called TIPO i'll spoiler the rest for those who haven't started playing yet
i was neutral at first and i realise his purpose but that's the THING ..at times it can get you some laughs ( in the skits ) , and at times you just want him to shut up. Mieu was a running gag , TIpo is not ..i dislike TIPO

xero273

anyone have tips on how to do these titles? I know have to be in linked mode but i want to do them consistently. Elise and Rowen is probably the easiest though

Jude use restore a certain amount of times
Milla use bind a certain amount of times
Alvin use breaker a certain amount of time
Leia use steal a certain amount of time

Shouta

Fight enemies that can't kill you and equip the 1 Damage skill would be the first step probably. I'm not sure about what you could do to speed it up though.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I had the most problems with Leia's. From what I've seen she only uses it when you knock down an enemy and she's nearby. Oh, and only once per fight... so it takes a while.

For Jude, he uses it every time you're knocked down so it's probably easier when fighting strong enemies.

I don't have any tips for the other two, I just eventually got them while playing normally as far as I remember.

Shouta

Leia can happy to multiple enemies per battle but I don't know if doing it multiple times counts.

Jude has two very easy knockdowns, his low-water sweep and Lion knock enemies down allowing Leia to steal.

xero273

well finish the link ability titles. Leia took the longest since you only steal once from an enemy so the easiest way is to go to mulitple enemy fight, have her steal from all of them then kill and repeat. Right now I am trying to get the 800 search point/bag title. I am at 771. is it possible to get 30 search point/bags from secret dungeon?

Is that the one with the wihte bags and random shinny drops you have to collect ? Because i didn't even look for it .... it came naturally ( i guess i grinded a lot ).

matmanx1

I'll have to jump back into this at some point. I ended up just buying an Uncharted Edition 320GB PS3 bundle to replace my fried Xillia one but I swapped the top cases between the PS3's so it still looks like an X Edition.

It's only 8 regular screws and 4 hex screws and can be done in less than 10 minutes if you have the right size tools. Yeah it voids the warranty but the art on the X Edition is so snazzy I wasn't going to let it go to waste!

Shouta

xero273 said:
finally beat the game with jude and uh last dungeon and boss is kind of lame. Anyone else feel this way?

It's better to think of everything after
Your fight with Maxwell in his zone
to be the ending. If you think of it that way, it's basically tying up the story and its loose ends. The literally final dungeon is a bit meh of course.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
According to an interview with Hideo Baba, he stated that Xillia was rushed and things were cut. Places like Nam Cobanda Isle, Secret Missions and another playable character
Gaius

Link: www.abyssalchronicles.com

Incoming Director's Cut?!!!

kayos90

Oh please please if they ever wanted to bring this game to the west make it the Director's Cut version :eek:

While it screws over people who imported, I think releasing a Director's Cut isn't that bad of an idea. It allows time for NB of America to release Xillia with a decent amount of time gap from Graces f. I know that when Graces f comes out next year, then we would expect Xillia to be another 1 or 2 years and with that much time that passed, it wouldn't be good. Still feeling a bit salty about this move though.

Bebpo

Banned
I swear every Japanese rpg this gen on HD systems either takes 5-10 years to come out, or comes out in 2-4 and is "rushed and tons of things cut". What the hell is going on with rpg devs over there :(

I wish secret missions would have been in Xillia, if only because at least it gave you extra things to do in boss battles (plus achievements/trophies). I can't believe Namco island isn't in this one (I'm still pretty early in the game); when was the last Tales that didn't have the joke island where you can view all skits and listen to music and such?

If they're going to announce a DC version, they should do it soon so I can drop my playthrough and wait for the more complete version.

Aeana

Considering how much of a disappointment Xillia was for me in the first place, I think I'm done buying the first versions of Tales games at the very least. Everything gets a more complete version later anyway.

kayos90

Considering how much of a disappointment Xillia was for me in the first place, I think I'm done buying the first versions of Tales games at the very least. Everything gets a more complete version later anyway.

Gonna stick with this philosophy now. Honestly, I really am sick of stuff NB pulling this stunt. Vesperia was one case but with Graces f and possibly this, MEH. Japan is sort of encouraging them to do this since they get sales with the updated version too. Ugh.

Top Bottom