• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| "Progress" It's Been 15 Years. . .

Aeana

Gonna stick with this philosophy now. Honestly, I really am sick of stuff NB pulling this stunt. Vesperia was one case but with Graces f and possibly this, MEH. Japan is sort of encouraging them to do this since they get sales with the updated version too. Ugh.

Don't forget ToDr:DC.

Rpgmonkey

If this happens, I knew waiting a year before importing Xillia was a good decision!

The only thing that sucks is that it seems like I'm going to have to wait a year before buying a Tales game from now on. Normally I wouldn't do this as I don't care about most enhanced rereleases, but they make the second version of Tales games a little too awesome. :/

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Don't forget ToDr:DC.

It's not even NB either. SE is doing this too with their FM crap. It really ticks me off releasing it within 1-1 1/2 year of each other. Just as bad as locked content on disc and crappy microtransactions.

Famassu

According to an interview with Hideo Baba, he stated that Xillia was rushed and things were cut. Places like Nam Cobanda Isle, Secret Missions and another playable character
Gaius

Link: www.abyssalchronicles.com

Incoming Director's Cut?!!!
Well...

Tales of Graces Wii vs Tales of Graces F
Tales of Vesperia 360 vs Tales of Vesperia PS3

Really not that surprising

According to an interview with Hideo Baba, he stated that Xillia was rushed and things were cut. Places like Nam Cobanda Isle, Secret Missions and another playable character
Gaius

I am ok with this added character !! He is somewhat awesome ..
Not a fan of secret missions .. but i'll take them is they do a director cut ..

it's kinda sad that they had time to Dlc the costumes that much , yet couldn't finish it properly ....

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Gaius

Oh my God... :lol

Wait... I imported the darn thing. I like the game quite a bit, but... :/

Aeana said:
I think I'm done buying the first versions of Tales games at the very least. Everything gets a more complete version later anyway.
I think I might adhere to this philosophy for now too. I didn't buy vanilla ToG and bought ToG f, but I sincerely feel bad for people who imported the Wii version only to get screwed over by the f version. :/

It sucks and I really hate it when companies do this sort of thing. Release everything when it's ready!

You know, now that we know that Type-0 is coming to the West, I think I might wait for the eventual Final Mix or International Version or whatever and import that, lol.

Bebpo

Banned
I buy every version :(

Although I'm more annoyed by the 50-60 hours I put into a game, only to have the superior version come out and I don't want to spend that time again just to see 10-20% new content. Still haven't played Graces F or Vesperia PS3. Only played ToDr DC because ToDr was still in my backlog at the time.

kiryogi

Banned
This doesnt change anything for me. Like Bebpo, Ill buy every version. If anything, I was able to enjoy a good amount of the game earlier than folks that waited.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm thinking it will be on PS3 too (see Tales of Destiny, director's cut came on the same platform) and that's the version we'll probably be getting in English.

Or it could be like a Tales of the Abyss situation (the cut stuff will be put in the overseas version).

Foffy

Banned
I'm thinking it will be on PS3 too (see Tales of Destiny, director's cut came on the same platform) and that's the version we'll probably be getting in English.

Or it could be like a Tales of the Abyss situation (the cut stuff will be put in the overseas version).

When would the game launch in North America, though? Namco's taken what's been forever in regards of an international Tales of Graces release. It will be well over a year since the game launched in Japan before we see it anywhere else.

Paracelsus

When would the game launch in North America, though? Namco's taken what's been forever in regards of an international Tales of Graces release. It will be well over a year since the game launched in Japan before we see it anywhere else.

The least they have to translate the better is for them, we'll just get the vanilla ToX, eventually.

Sorry everyone this seems like the only place to talk about this game and since it's not news i'd rather not create another thread , but i need answers for XIllia . i'm in endgame ,
able to go to both worlds
, i probably only need to go see muse .. and lately xp seems scarce , i want to have a good set-up of xp before going to see the end ( and i took my bloody time too ) and i don't want to waste my money on LV dlc ... LV 77

what the heck?

First , i'm confused by Muse
motivations ( milla path ), her goals are baffling to the least and i probably didn't understood what made her go insane that way. I understand that she was pretending during part 3 and she has her own agenda ( that was crushed beautifully) but why the alliance with gaius ?
i also understand that gaius and milla has very opposite views and motivations on what should be done as a person in "charge" but the whole end seems "forced" ( Haven't done the end yet ).
Can someone light some explanations ? i'm utterly confused

Second, where should i go before the last dongeon ? i spend 6 hours already on the field before the dimensionnal hill, but it's getting tiresome and most places to xp on various faqs are talking about the bonus donegon that i can't access yet since i haven't cleared the game. any tips ?

Zhund0r

Neo Member
Honestly, don't bother about your level. The boss fights are very easy and at the end you will think: Wtf? Already over? Lv. 77 is way higher than I was and believe me, you will regret grinding now. Just play through it because you eventually have to go through the bonus dungeon many...many times. You'll see why.

and fyi: the last dungeon isn't a dungeon at all.

Muse is the sister of Milla and she is upset because Maxwell wants Milla to become the next Maxwell. She is his incarnation. Gaius and Muse have the same goal, because he wants to become emperor of Liese Maxia

Torraz

I'm at the 50% point of my first playthrough.

Decisions, decisions:
a) finish that one asap, buy DC and do the other route on that one?
b) toss this version, wait for DC and replay
c) play both paths on the version I have and forget about the DC...

Tending towards a) and I'm going to now adhere to the philosophy of waiting for the ultimate version.

Has this been announced for the US yet? I am excited about Graces F, but the visual style in Xillia looks much better to me. More like those in Vesperia.

Muse is the sister of Milla and she is upset because Maxwell wants Milla to become the next Maxwell. She is his incarnation. Gaius and Muse have the same goal, because he wants to become emperor of Liese Maxia

i got that part :
They are sisters , ok .Muse is happy to take milla place once she is dead , i got that part too ..but why did maxwell made Muse ?i couldnt get the reason after the 1-1 muse milla fight . i see that Muse can't become maxwell on her own( got this part too)

WHY can't gaius leave olympius alone since arc noir got a serious blow in their plans ?

Has this been announced for the US yet? I am excited about Graces F, but the visual style in Xillia looks much better to me. More like those in Vesperia.

This so much, Xillia looks completely amazing compared to Graces in both graphics and the combat system.

Well considering that that Rich "Filthierich" Bantegui has an announcement regarding the series this week I really am hoping that it's a western release of Xillia and not Innocence R.

I wouldn't mind for Vesperia PS3 on PSN though

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This so much, Xillia looks completely amazing compared to Graces in both graphics and the combat system.
After exhausting much of Xillia's battle system quite a bit with the Link Artes, I have to say that I enjoy Graces' battle system more.

Synergy is played up a lot in Xillia's battle system, but the problem is that while you can link a lot of the characters to use link attacks (some of which are fantastic and better than Milla/Jude combos), Milla/Jude's distribution of Link Artes together are imbalanced compared to the artes that they share with other characters. That's a little disappointing. Another thing that was a little disappointing was that in the previous game, titles actually mattered in that they gave you stat boosts and gave characters new attacks. In Xillia, titles don't really seem to matter at all outside of being there for Grade and Trophies. The towns are really nice in this game, as a side-note. I really liked the background aesthetic. And I think the soundtrack is better.

Graces' system is more fluid since you don't need to rely on TP, and the Arles gauge does a nice job of balancing difficulty and easiness depending on which attacks you use. The artes are more useful too, since you're switching between A-style and B-style to build up the gauge and unleash more attacks while striking enemies with attacks that they're weak against/stealing things from them. Defending against enemies and dodging their attacks is really fun with the around-step mechanic. As I said before, titles are implemented creatively in this game, and it's kind of addicting to level them up.

I will say that I had fun with both systems, but I enjoy Graces' more tactical and creative approach to the system more.

Kinda hoping the announcement for Tales is about Innocence R. I was waiting for that to go budget so I can get it. But if it's coming over here, I will be pleased.

scy

Kinda hoping the announcement for Tales is about Innocence R. I was waiting for that to go budget so I can get it. But if it's coming over here, I will be pleased.

I really didn't like Innocence. Honestly, it was the first Tales game to have a cast that I actually hated over half of. I'd much rather have Xillia over Innocence anything.

That said, I'd rather get both but, hey, I'm not that optimistic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I really didn't like Innocence. Honestly, it was the first Tales game to have a cast that I actually hated over half of. I'd much rather have Xillia over Innocence anything.

I didn't really like Innocence much (dungeons kinda suck, characters aren't great), but I played Tales of the Tempest around the same time, so I guess that's why my opinion of it is a little higher than normal.

I am interested in the new additions to Innocence R, though. I think it's funny that they went from having visible enemies on the maps to random encounters.

scy

I didn't really like Innocence much (dungeons kinda suck, characters aren't great), but I played Tales of the Tempest around the same time, so I guess that's why my opinion of it is a little higher than normal.

That'll do it, I think~

I am interested in the new additions to Innocence R, though. I think it's funny that they went from having visible enemies on the maps to random encounters.

To be fair, I actually haven't looked into the changes with R so, hey, maybe it fixes some of the problems I had with it (characters aside, anyway).

innoncence Cast suffer from a badly paced game that doesn't let them become what they should have been in iother rpgs . The battle systemalso doesn't let you experiment correctly until quite later and at this point you're probably bored .

It had good ideas but too many mistep to become a recommandation.

Teampest is hand down the worst Tales game..it just wasn't intresting..

I'm hoping all the changes in Innoncence R will help with the pacing of the story with a real end that doesn't feel rushed .. I'm already happy by some changes in the battle system and i hope they do more than that .

---------
Also since my last post i beat the golden swordman in xillia .. What's going on in that fight ? Even tipo says that it's cheap ..

The fight was damn intense ..very enjoyable ... Overall Xillia arena ( as a whole ) battles are just way better than some cheap version in Abyss for example. Very cool

yep .. you had to pre order or to get a preorder copy to get it ...

It isn't available on the JP store..

It also give you a very nice THEME.
After ward you have to go to the DLC part of the item menu to activate it for your game and those will be in the choices during the equip menu

Negator

The used copy I found had the green slip hidden in the manual. I guess I'm going to make a JPSN account tonight and try to redeem the code. Hopefully the code is unredeemed!

i finally have time to do my jude run and i'm confused about the grade system ?

i see a 2x exp

and another 5x exp bonus ?

Can i get both to get 10exp bonus ?
Can i cumulate those with a dark seal ? ( to get 20 exp bonus ? )

How does the grade points work ?i tried it but my grade points were still there even after i spent 3000 points (only ) in NEW+ does that means that anything i already got the first time is ok ? so my number of chain link artes is fixed too ? or can i increase the number normally ? ( from that point ? )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i finally have time to do my jude run and i'm confused about the grade system ?

i see a 2x exp

and another 5x exp bonus ?

Can i get both to get 10exp bonus ?
Can i cumulate those with a dark seal ? ( to get 20 exp bonus ? )

How does the grade points work ?i tried it but my grade points were still there even after i spent 3000 points (only ) in NEW+ does that means that anything i already got the first time is ok ? so my number of chain link artes is fixed too ? or can i increase the number normally ? ( from that point ? )
EXP multipliers from the Grade Shop stacks to 10x multipliers. AC multipliers stacks to AC+3 if you want it.

But honestly, you don't need the EXP multiplier because you can do this instead! (I just learned about it and omg). Bonus EXP formula takes into account Difficulty and hit count. In the video, the first attempt is on Easy, with 50K hits, and using the demon seal (no reserve party members called in). Second attempt is on Unknown with 70K hits, no demon seal and use everyone in one battle.

iirc, the grade still builds up across multiple playthroughs so they stay. All titles are carried over so you'll always keep getting grade across several playthroughs.

wait wait wait ...
difficulty & hit count ?..so you're telling me than i go into a regular zone on unknow and i hit a regular ennemy with any broken combo ? ( such as attack ==>> negative gate with 1dmg untill the ennemy dies ? )

EDIt : after 1 hour of tries i can't do it ..what's a good combo to use ?how i am supposed tosrvive long enough +25min with a dark seal without running out of items ?

With a negative gate + attack loop i managed 700+ hitsbut at a certain point the monster get stunned and my combo is broken when he get out of the stun state ?

What is a good alternative ?
Also do you need your game started on unknow , or can you change it on the fly ?i managed to get 5300 of bonus xp but i'm not sure if everything worked well

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Did you use Milla's Sylph or Lunatic Sting? Here's another video.

I don't think you need your game started on Unknown since the person did it on Easy the first time, then switch to Unknown to how how high it can get. Unknown has the higher multiplier, obviously. I guess you can use it on any difficulty but Unknown will always have the highest multiplier.

Edit: Oh my God, check this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9LCSGjlTE4. Messed up!

i tried slyph maybe i don't see the timing but i have tp trouble with it and also timing trouble

The last part of the vids was nice ..
but the first part was during the link tutorial , right ? i can't use that atm

You have enough time to recover tp with lunatic sting ? i never knew..will try later ..

Do you have the Faerie Ring equipped when using Sylph?

You could also regularly attack until 1 AC is left, then use Negative Holder, then use your regular attack combo when the AC resets before Negative Holder is finished. Like so.
That's what i am using ... there is a point where i can't continue because the ennemy get stuinned and the hit count reset when he get out of the stun. i don't need feary ring because my problem isn't tp usage (yet) but timing
i have this problem with slyph or undine ... i don't see how to chain them .. i am supposed to spam them with 1 damage & 1tp for each skill ? ( if so i don't have the timing for it for now )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That's what i am using ... there is a point where i can't continue because the ennemy get stuinned and the hit count reset when he get out of the stun. i don't need feary ring because my problem isn't tp usage (yet) but timing
Are you using two negative holder "balls" instead of one? because using more than one will break the combo. Seems like a regular weak enemy was just fought in this one demonstrating the tactic.

Maybe you should try with Rowen (Splash with Spell End + Speed Spell). Not sure if Risky Ring is needed. But seriously, what.

i have this problem with slyph or undine ... i don't see how to chain them .. i am supposed to spam them with 1 damage & 1tp for each skill ? ( if so i don't have the timing for it for now )
Yeah, you might have to wait a little bit before you do this with Sylph/Undine.

You could equip 1 damage, set Sylph to X and then keep mashing X from what I hear.

My copy arrived today so I'm going to bump this because I'm just mobbing like that. After Xillia 2's announcement, coupled with experiencing Namco's E3 livestream, I felt compelled to import this. I got a sweet deal for $45 so I couldn't pass it up. After having beaten Vesperia a couple years ago, this'll be my second Tales game (giving up midway on Abyss because of framerate and loading time grievances notwithstanding). Got my shitty grasp of the Japanese language, a couple translation guides, and a bag of gummy worms so this is bliss mode right now.

I'm probably going to start the game in a few hours but I'm still undecided on the character I'm going to start off with, which perhaps you guys can help me on. Does it not really matter which one I go with or does doing them in a particular order make things easier to understand narrative-wise? I'm actually really looking forward to experiencing Jude because after reading all of Gaf's (Dark Schala's) hate for him, I've developed low expectations, which will end up with me being pleasantly surprised with his character and I will love him and you will hate me.

So yeah, Xillia. Pretty darn excited. And I think Rpgmonkey is waiting for his copy as well so I'll have someone to play with in spirit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm probably going to start the game in a few hours but I'm still undecided on the character I'm going to start off with, which perhaps you guys can help me on. Does it not really matter which one I go with or does doing them in a particular order make things easier to understand narrative-wise? I'm actually really looking forward to experiencing Jude because after reading all of Gaf's (Dark Schala's) hate for him, I've developed low expectations, which will end up with me being pleasantly surprised with his character and I will love him and you will hate me.
Start with Jude's so you can understand the narrative better. Milla's bits are a bit disjointed in comparison, and they're better and easier to go through on a NG+.

I'm still going through my second platinum run, so I could join if I'm not busy.

I'm not the only person who dislikes Jude. A lot of people do. You'll see why. :p

I'm not the only person who dislikes Jude. A lot of people do. You'll see why. :p

Playing Milla first will make your dislike of jude way less present in your mind , that's because while milla side has less explanations , milla is awesome in several key parts..and there is one point where you'll want to kill someone because the difficulty goes Up too high suddenly ... other than that , pick your poison ...

Jude for understanding and anger
and easier play
, mila for harsdhips and overall awesome...

^^ not a spoiler :)

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably start with Jude so I can ease myself into the story.

and there is one point where you'll want to kill someone because the difficulty goes Up too high suddenly
Is that a one-time instance or once the difficulty goes up it doesn't go down for the rest of the game? I realized after I beat Vesperia that there was a lot of the battle-system that I didn't utilize. I never really tried to go into all sorts of crazy combos and attacks, I'd just repeat the same basic combos with the occasional burst. This time around in Xillia I really want to sink my teeth in the fighting and kick ass. If I can do that maybe the difficulty will be less of an issue.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, it's just that bosses kind of go nuts, go into overlimit a lot, break out of your combos after 10 hits, and use their hi-ougis a lot just because.

You can really set the difficulty yourself if you choose to grind and level up your weapon/armour shop a lot. There's a wetland right next to Ni Akeria (ニ・アケリア) which you can use to grind materials, black feathers, skills, and levels if you want to make things easier for you for most of the game. Set to Simple at first and work yourself up to Hard.

Also, it's best if you learn elemental affinities, since using the opposite element helps out a lot. The link artes are basically the things that'll do most of the work for you, particularly Milla and Jude's artes at the beginning of the game.

Thanks for the responses. I'll probably start with Jude so I can ease myself into the story.

Is that a one-time instance or once the difficulty goes up it doesn't go down for the rest of the game? I realized after I beat Vesperia that there was a lot of the battle-system that I didn't utilize. I never really tried to go into all sorts of crazy combos and attacks, I'd just repeat the same basic combos with the occasional burst. This time around in Xillia I really want to sink my teeth in the fighting and kick ass. If I can do that maybe the difficulty will be less of an issue.
There is one instance on milla side where the difficulty goes up ...
There is this boss too that will decimate your party if unprepared...

Anyway if you pay attention you'll survive

Bladenic

I'm going on a trip tomorrow for about a month, but when I'm back I'm definitely importing the game. It's pretty clear it's not coming out in America, and I still really wanna play it, so importing will have to do.

Sagitario

I'm going on a trip tomorrow for about a month, but when I'm back I'm definitely importing the game. It's pretty clear it's not coming out in America, and I still really wanna play it, so importing will have to do.

Wait until the end of June. Namco UK has been teasing about it. It should reveal something before the month ends.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait until the end of June. Namco UK has been teasing about it. It should reveal something before the month ends.
Yeah, I was going to say this. (Left the window open when I went out, and then saw a response already!)

If they're teasing someting for Japan Expo, it could be that... if we're being optimistic about it, lol.

Sagitario

... if we're being optimistic about it, lol.

You know I am... but more important that being optimistic, it's all about...

6rZJ4.gif

Played it for the first time tonight. I got up the to part where
Alvin shows up and carries Jude onto the ship like a boss
. Twas a great first experience! I thought the combat was a lot of fun, especially Jude's evade mechanic. In the first boss I got hit once and was all like hell naw you ain't taking another huge chunk of my health so I dodged all over the place and won. Felt good, man. Then in round two I got cocky when
Millia joined my party
so I ran straight at em and got flattened but
Millia killed her a second later
so I made won but wasn't awarded exp. Really really really should have seen it coming, but I totally didn't expect
Millia to get nerfed

I've gotten a good handle of the menu and character progressions system, but I feel like already I'm not utilizing the combat like I should. I only have three artes but I end up just using the basic attack combo. I picked up on the fact that changing the direction of the stick affects how he attacks (like up sends them skyward, seemingly setting the stage for some juggling) but I don't know how to string that into something worthwhile. I guess I just need more practice. The only other thing is I can't properly use the evade mechanic because it seems to only work on the character you're targeting. I always seem to end up getting hit by the one's I'm not targeting (maybe since I'm the closest thing to a healer) so I can't evade their hits, which interrupts my combo. It wasn't a problem when
Millia wrecked house
but now it's cropping up. Like I said, I just need more time under the hood (and possibly some advice from you guys if you have any).

Minor issues aside, it was a lot of fun and I'm itching to jump back in tomorrow. It looks great, sounds great, and plays great.

Really really really should have seen it coming, but I totally didn't expect
Millia to get nerfed
It was obvious ... just like
Jade in Tales of Abyss , if the game allow you to control someone too strong it's either a nerf or the character will disapear or it's an ennemy
This rule works for every Rpg.
I've gotten a good handle of the menu and character progressions system, but I feel like already I'm not utilizing the combat like I should. I only have three artes but I end up just using the basic attack combo. I picked up on the fact that changing the direction of the stick affects how he attacks (like up sends them skyward, seemingly setting the stage for some juggling) but I don't know how to string that into something worthwhile. I guess I just need more practice. The only other thing is I can't properly use the evade mechanic because it seems to only work on the character you're targeting. I always seem to end up getting hit by the one's I'm not targeting (maybe since I'm the closest thing to a healer) so I can't evade their hits, which interrupts my combo. It wasn't a problem when
Millia wrecked house
but now it's cropping up. Like I said, I just need more time under the hood (and possibly some advice from you guys if you have any).

Minor issues aside, it was a lot of fun and I'm itching to jump back in tomorrow. It looks great, sounds great, and plays great.

The area next ( where you get the tutorial on link artes ) is a good spot to get a firm handle at the game.Evading with just is indeed extremly fun so don't worry ..try to get stronger in this area ... You'll have more than enough artes to experiment than you think ...

You know I am... but more important that being optimistic, it's all about...

6rZJ4.gif
i am not .. i've been burned too much to expect anything annonced during this time frame , especillay considering that Graves F isn't out in europe yet ... if anything it will be graces Related... i doubt we'll see anything at this point ... i really think we have more chances of Graces F stuff and innoncence Vita to be annonced than xillia for the moment ... i'd love for you guys to be wrong but ... well it's namco.

Top Bottom