• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Either I'm missing something, or this final boss is some grade A bullshit. Non-stop attacks that can't be broken through, seriously this is insufferable at the moment. >>;

just beat the game. surprised I beat the final bosses on my 1st try lol.

great game. can't wait for part 2. has it been confirmed it's coming next year?

Finalow

So to get the best weapons you need to beat the EX dungeon boss thus leaving you with no one to destroy them with? =[
I think you can carry over those weapons already unlocked in the NG+?

anyway the you have to beat the EX dungeon boss 3 times, and the fell arms get unlocked after you beat him the first time so you can still use them (and you have to) in order to finish the EX dungeon completely.

PKrockin

Haha. DarkSydePhil is let's playing this game.

As you'd expect, he skips the tutorials. I'd watch a little to see how long it takes for him to start complaining endlessly about the game not explaining anything to him but I can't stand his awful commentary.

Rhapsody

Banned
Best in-game alternate costume.
I have to say, it gives me some Esper vibes. Just all green and white instead of Terra's pink.
There is more than one in-game alt costume? I mean, besides the free DLC one. If yes, how do you unlock it? I remember there were some in Graces f too (unlocked with that damn card game.)

No spoilers please, if possible.
Beat Jude's story to get Jude's, beat Milla's story for hers. I think I remember people saying there were two more costumes that you could get with the black feathers.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

As you'd expect, he skips the tutorials. I'd watch a little to see how long it takes for him to start complaining endlessly about the game not explaining anything to him but I can't stand his awful commentary.
Oh Christ.

I don't even want to watch that. I can't stand that guy at all.

Finalow

3000 P.ATK on Jude's weapon is legit.

is there an easy way to exp until level 99? I read about that combo hit multiplier but I'm not sure how it works and how to do that infinite combo trick with Rowen.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Isn't he playing a character?

He's been playing it since release day on stream.

PKrockin

Oh Christ.

Yeah. I came very close to just closing the tab after his reaction to first seeing Milla ("ooh! Nice blonde chick with big titties, look at that! Nice titties. Ooh, nice naval."), but I decided to skip ahead to the tutorials to see if he skips or skims them. The guy is so unlikeable.

Isn't he playing a character?

If he I can't imagine anyone being entertained by an annoying gimmick persona for entire 20-60 hour long let's plays. Let alone when they're uploaded at a rate of 15 videos per day.

LuuKyK

I have to say, it gives me some Esper vibes. Just all green and white instead of Terra's pink.

Beat Jude's story to get Jude's, beat Milla's story for hers. I think I remember people saying there were two more costumes that you could get with the black feathers.

Nice, thanks. And how many feathers do you need?

Oh Christ.

:lol I already watched some parts. He says he is a fan of the series but thinks Artes and Skills are the same thing. From what I've watched he still didnt notice the difference.

RurouniZel

Well, finally beat it. Was about level 70 and it still took me everything I had, and on Normal difficulty at that. >>;

I'll probably start a New Game + with Jude next time. Gotta see the missing scenes from his side of the story.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Well, finally beat it. Was about level 70 and it still took me everything I had, and on Normal difficulty at that. >>;

I'll probably start a New Game + with Jude next time. Gotta see the missing scenes from his side of the story.

Sheeesh, I'm gonna have troubles at 60s on Moderate.

PKrockin

THERE'S RING OUTS IN THE COLISEUM!?

Yes there are, and they are a bitch if you play on Semi-Auto like I do. Accidentally input one more attack than you need to and you go flying off the stage. What is this, Soul Calibur 2?

Also it's amazing how many avatar quote opportunities you lent us in this thread.

Neki

Whoever did the translation for this game did a great job, the humour in the skits is probably the best I've seen in a Tales game. Though it does help that almost everyone is pretty likable in the main crew

RurouniZel

Okay, some more thoughts, now that I've let it all sink it. I'll start with my cons before moving on to my pros.

Cons (x1):

1) Like any other Tales game, the story goes on for much longer and more roundabout than it needs to.
2) Like any other Tales game, there are some bosses that, once you get them down to 20% or less of their HP, go into fucking Berserker Rage Mode and make me want to crush the controller.
3) The Inomata designed females have ridiculous waists. Seriously eat something girls, you're twigs!
4) Tales of Art Asset Re-Usia, am I right? Also as I've mentioned somewhere in this thread (at least I'm pretty sure I did), I have a sneaky suspicion that this game began life as a Wii title, and was moved to the PS3 after the Graces f port outsold the original Wii game. Many of the games background textures do not look like they were made with an HD system in mind.
5) By the end of the game the only way to make good dough is side-quests, and I've never liked how side-quests are done in Tales games because they're often WAY out of your way. So yeah, I cracked and got the money DLC. Bite me.
6) Titles seem completely useless outside of Grade Points? Or maybe I'm just a dumbass and never figured that out. Similarly I never figured out how to pull off the characters Mystic Arts, but again I'm willing to chalk that up to my dumbassery.
7)
Dual worlds. Again.
Seriously Tales, this is a rode you've trodden down well more than enough. It's almost as predictable as an evil Empire in a Final Fantasy game.

Pros (x2): (I consider each of these pros to be worth 2 points to the cons 1, if that makes any sense... XD

1) Like any other Tales game, I love the first 3/4 of the story.
2) Like any other Tales game, I have a love/hate relationship with the battle system. I like it more than Vesperia, but Graces f had a better battle system IMO.
3) Like any other Tales game, I generally really like the main cast. Jude began the game as the helpless pacifist, and did largely stay that way, but he was at least smart, determined, and matured a lot in the game and I liked that. Then again I played Milla's route so maybe he's more of a pansy on his own route, I wouldn't know yet. Milla's lack of knowledge about human culture outside of books is nicely balanced by her incredible adaptability. And Elize is adorable.
4) THANK YGGDRASIL for the Fast Travel System.
5) Dual protagonists actually makes me want to replay the game, at least at some point anyway.
6) ufotable made some very very nice anime cinematics. LEAGUES above Graces f.
7) More varied soundtrack which was a nice plus for me. Though I do question the music style chosen for the
Ship assault, the one that was a cruise liner previously and you have to knock out the generators, can't remember the name.
Seemed odd, but whatever.
8) Many of the skits were hilarious. Even my sister laughed at the
Direct Tethering
skit. The expressions were very nice.
9) The artistic director did a very good job of making the Fujishima and Inomata characters mesh well together. I never felt anything jarring between the character sets (outside of the girl's waist lines).

So yeah, 18 Pros points (9 x 2) to 7 con points (7 x 1). Definitely a winner for me. ^_^

Just beat the game on Moderate Judes route. Didn't die once.

So yeah, I this was the easiest tales of game I've played. I probably should have done Hard. However, I in spite of that I really enjoyed the game. It's lacking some depth, but it is a really solid entry.

RurouniZel

Oh hey, starting a new game changed the opening cinematic a bit (It focused on Milla my first time because her route, Now that I booted up Jude's side, the focus is on him).

Super neat. :3

Neki

man how do you tell what chapter you guys are on? I must be super oblivious, I don't even know what level my characters are.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I was curious to see how he was doing at the end of act 2 where I was last night and he basally powerleveled and grinding the shit out of the game and has everyone at 6K HP(3 times more than me on moderate at the same spot, lol) so he killed the boss in a few seconds. Though he doesn't seem to check most skits and rarely knows where to go.

But yeah, I don't know why someone would watch him play an RPG of all things.

Holmes

man how do you tell what chapter you guys are on? I must be super oblivious, I don't even know what level my characters are.
Uh, well press triangle to open the menu and see what level your characters are at. And a new chapter begins whenever you get a silver trophy for no reason other than watching a cutscene.

Rhapsody

Banned
I can't even imagine.
It sucked for me on NORMAL. XD

Just barely beat it. Actually treated this like an old fashioned RPG and changed my accessory and skills.

Equipping Amulet and having Impregnable Guard was a life saver lol. Same goes with
having the Four.

Neki

Uh, well press triangle to open the menu and see what level your characters are at. And a new chapter begins whenever you get a silver trophy for no reason other than watching a cutscene.

well I always go into the main menu, I just never glance at it, that's all. Any time I go into the main menu it's to level up the orbs and I just never look at my level, lol.

RurouniZel

Just barely beat it. Actually treated this like an old fashioned RPG and changed my accessory and skills.

Equipping Amulet and having Impregnable Guard was a life saver lol. Same goes with
having the Four.

Yeah, I eventually realized that
the Four
were absolutely necessary.

Start of Chapter 4 still on Milla's side.
This Muzét battle with just Milla really sucks on hard.

EVENT HORIZON

EVENT HORIZON

EVENT HORIZON

I think that was my hardest fight when I was doing new game+ on my second playthrough.

FSLink

Banned
So what are some must do's before a New Game Plus? Beat the arena with everyone, try to finish as many sidequests as I can, finish EX dungeon...anything else?

Top Bottom