• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

scy

Very likely lol

I didn't hate it. But it made me rage a bit because of the events.

The way I see it,
it's a relatively expected sequence of events for Jude: He's lost the entire driving force of his character (along with finding out most of it was a lie and for nothing). His major character flaw for the entire game is this fact and this shows the extreme of it with him shutting down entirely. Muzet shows the contrast to this. She too loses her entire driving force and lashes out until she ... "relapses" back into the same problem. Finding someone else to give her purpose. Much of the game is in these character to character parallels. I don't think a single character in the game really stands alone

Though maybe most the "srsly?" is to
Jude's treatment of Leia
:x

TripleSun

I really enjoyed the sub-event with Isla and Alvin in Xian Du. I hope there's more involving the drama with the mother and the "other stuff".

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finished the game today. It certainly was a Tales game! Looked like one and sounded like one, played like one and made me cringe like one.

It's a bummer that Vesperia is still the prettiest Tales game to date. Xillia just looks so flat and empty and stiff and lifeless and boring. Some terrible framedrops during battle, too. I do appreciate how fast everything loads, but I just have to assume at some point Xillia was still supposed to come out on Wii until Bamco had that genius revelation that Tales games work best on PS3. Overall I don't find the technical shortcomings too offensive or distracting, but I would certainly not mind some progress. These games will start to look pretty odd once the next-gen arrives.

Story was nothing special. Which is to say, it is appropriately awful. At this point I'm half-convinced characters and story in Tales games are procedurally generated by some machine. It's always the same crap, barely anything that genuinely works for me on any level. I enjoyed the skits, but there's no way I could get invested in the central conflict. Nothing I can relate to, borderline nonsensical at times, trying too hard at other times, way too stretched out.

That said, I'm not surprised about any of this. It's a Tales game after all and despite all that I had a good time. The battle system is just too much fun and there's that classic JRPG charm that always gets me. I'm already looking forward to Xillia 2.
Well... it was likely charlequin who called Tales games essentially the equivalent of RPG Junk Food, and for the most part, I agree with him. They're not that great in terms of calorie intake and ingredients added (ie: their narratives are easily predictable, their cast can sometimes be predictable and usually fill obvious tropes that you see again and again, trope overuse, etc), sometimes they're a quick and easy way to get dessert and satiate appetite, but they do end up leaving you feeling empty after ingestion (they sometimes lack enough substance to keep you engaged and fulfilled afterwards -- but they do have one singular thing going for it that could probably be fulfilled by playing another game in the series to try to fulfill your Tales hunger).

You really shouldn't be surprised that the narrative/characters aren't as engaging for you, given that many Tales games have the same sort of formula, no matter which team developed them in the past, have had the same types of casts, with members filling the same types of roles, but in a different setting and different time just to mix things up. It kind of gets boring and predictable after a while, to the point where you're just looking forward to the skits because they give the new game's cast their own sort of identity and something you can laugh at.

With that said, though, I'm a tad surprised with how you do feel about the narrative and characters given that this is one of the few Tales games with a narrative/cast that's kind of okay (if we're comparing this cast to not just Tales games, but other RPGs as well, then yeah, it pales).

In the past, there were just a few of us who thought the narrative was laughable because of some of the things the characters did. In the grand umbrella of "Tales", it's one of the better narratives in the series, but when you take it as is as a narrative/cast on its own, yes, it certainly pales in comparison to many, many RPG narratives out there. Tales games aren't going to wow you in that department. Maybe Xillia 2 with its themes, and narrative, but there certainly might be some instances where you'll just roll your eyes with respect to what's happening with the cast and narrative, especially when some tropes (like accidentally touching a girl's chest, someone being super-tsundere to the point where it's kind of banged into your head, little girls tripping on their faces because it's cute, etc) are heavily embraced. It's something I really don't care for in games or anime at all, so I just roll my eyes for a bit and move on. I don't really find humour in it anymore because I've seen it too many times to even care.

The mentions of many framerate drops still surprises me given that that only happened in the Japanese version whenever a lot of stuff was happening onscreen, especially during the EX dungeon, so... huh. I really do wonder why that happened in this version since I thought it would be consistent with the JP version in terms of technical stuff.

But you're probably like me where I get the most out of the battle system, making it the real reason why I play these games in the first place (outside of having fun with the extras, and feeling like the world is pretty lofty because of the skits and the nature of the subquests; I really dislike it when games take themselves too seriously when the narrative/mood doesn't facilitate it---stuff like that is charming to me). I like Tales battle systems a lot. I like how they keep the same sort of formula but constantly switch up how it's used, making you learn a newer way of fighting enemies. It kind of got boring after Abyss, where a lot of iterations of the LMBS kind of hung on the FR-LMBS sorta thing (so free run, free run, free run... oh and take these one or two extras that we dish out to you in games afterwards). But when games switch it up drastically like Graces/Rebirth/Destiny R did, I have a lot of fun.

Now if only they could fix their difficulty setting balancing. Then they'd be doing something right with that.

Hey, fuck you, Jude! WTF?

EDIT: Well that was a fast as fuck way to become the worst main character in Tales!

Edit2:
So Muzet is a villain now?

EDIT3: WHAT THE FUCK!
Haha.

Thanks for amusing me a bit. I needed the slight cheering up today.

Bladenic

I was hoping getting characters to level 99 would unlock more skits, but nope. Five short. Damn.

This Platinum's gonna be more annoying than I thought. Still it's easier than Vesperia and Graces.

TripleSun

Skits were always my favorite thing about Tales games. I like it more than the main stories basically. I love the clueless moments of Milla and stuff, lol. I also love how she likes colds and hiccups, so cute. Lol.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
my god this is some of the worst slowdown i've ever experienced in an rpg ever

what in the fuck

SaintZ

I was hoping getting characters to level 99 would unlock more skits, but nope. Five short. Damn.

This Platinum's gonna be more annoying than I thought. Still it's easier than Vesperia and Graces.
I can can fight the final boss already but I too want to get the skits trophy and I'm 7 skits away D:

Also, does anybody know where do I start the Mysterious Jewels sub event or is did I miss it? I have a bunch of those but nobody told me what to do with them D:

Rhapsody

Banned
The way I see it,
it's a relatively expected sequence of events for Jude: He's lost the entire driving force of his character (along with finding out most of it was a lie and for nothing). His major character flaw for the entire game is this fact and this shows the extreme of it with him shutting down entirely. Muzet shows the contrast to this. She too loses her entire driving force and lashes out until she ... "relapses" back into the same problem. Finding someone else to give her purpose. Much of the game is in these character to character parallels. I don't think a single character in the game really stands alone

Though maybe most the "srsly?" is to
Jude's treatment of Leia
:x

Yeah. The way Jude acts at the start of chapter 4 didn't really bother me too much. He was a pretty mature character earlierm and the way he acts makes you realize that he's still a child deep down which I liked when you reach that part. I think it was pulled off well, but I can understand a lot of people not liking it at the same time.

The only thing that made me "rage" was
the stuff that happens to Leia since I'm a fan of her lol

[..]With that said, though, I'm a tad surprised with how you do feel about the narrative and characters given that this is one of the few Tales games with a narrative/cast that's kind of okay (if we're comparing this cast to not just Tales games, but other RPGs as well, then yeah, it pales). [..]

[..]In the past, there were just a few of us who thought the narrative was laughable because of some of the things the characters did. In the grand umbrella of "Tales", it's one of the better narratives in the series, but when you take it as is as a narrative/cast on its own, yes, it certainly pales in comparison to many, many RPG narratives out there. Tales games aren't going to wow you in that department. Maybe Xillia 2 with its themes, and narrative, but there certainly might be some instances where you'll just roll your eyes with respect to what's happening with the cast and narrative, especially when some tropes (like accidentally touching a girl's chest, someone being super-tsundere to the point where it's kind of banged into your head, little girls tripping on their faces because it's cute, etc) are heavily embraced. It's something I really don't care for in games or anime at all, so I just roll my eyes for a bit and move on. I don't really find humour in it anymore because I've seen it too many times to even care.[..]

I don't do any comparisons in one way or another. Not to other RPGs or Tales games or video games in general or books or movies or whatever else is telling a story. It's not like I can force myself to enjoy the narrative more if I only rank it against other Tales games (or things with a possibly worse narrative
Sword Art Online
).
The stories in Tales games pretty much all blend together anyway. Graces was only a year ago (my GotY, believe it or not) and I could not tell you for the life of me what that one was about and why exactly I hated the story so much. Though, I could easily do some wild guesses considering how the same complaints apply to all Tales games anyway, precisely because they all use the same stale, half-baked, run-of-the-mill Anime formula that is targeting a specific demographic I'm not part of anymore.

Point is, saying that Xillia has a better plot than other games in the series might be true, but to make such a statement you need at least some very basic appreciation for the stories these games offer and I simply don't have that. To me they are all uniformly unbearable.

Aside from that it seems like we are pretty much on the same page. Everything you say about the series I agree with. The wonderful battle system is the reason I will always buy a new Tales game and some bits and pieces outside of the battles aren't so bad either.

Holmes

I can can fight the final boss already but I too want to get the skits trophy and I'm 7 skits away D:

Also, does anybody know where do I start the Mysterious Jewels sub event or is did I miss it? I have a bunch of those but nobody told me what to do with them D:
You can just spend 3000 grade when doing NG+, watch the skits and unlock the trophy. Then choose NG+ again and spend your 3000 grade on something else.

You can do the skit buying in the grade shop, nab the trophy and do another new game+ or do a new game+ without buying the skits, watch all the skits that carried over and wait for any route exclusive skits or those that you missed to pop up.

For the jewels, I believe
go to the temple before the snow city and talk to the girls in the back to start it.

demidar

Finally finished the game, fuck enemies using items. Bad enough that I got to rely on the AI to try and steal stuff, why can't I steal stuff when I control Leia? Also went into that battle with a low amount of Life Bottles, had a couple of close shaves. Also the final battle was the first time I've seen Elize's Mystic Arte lol

I really wished that the other side was a lot larger than it was. Must be due to lack of time right? Is it better in Xillia 2? Would've loved to explore it some more, that "city" is woefully small. And why the hell does it have a port anyway, taunting me with the illusion of a bigger world.

So uhh, does anyone know where the Ex Dungeon is?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I went to the coliseum and completed
beginner/advanced single and group, and also grand master.
Is that all there is? and no trophy?
Although the Chimeriad fight was epic

Finalow

ugh, why was I expecting something fresh and new from the EX dungeon? Lol, especially from the setting. should have known that they put 0 effort into it like usual, at least the ost isn't bad.

now, I'm really trying to get this platinum but some trophies are seriously long and boring.

Rhapsody

Banned
ugh, why was I expecting something fresh and new from the EX dungeon? Lol, especially from the setting. should have known that they put 0 effort into it like usual, at least the ost isn't bad.

now, I'm really trying to get this platinum but some trophies are seriously long and boring.

You should never expect anything out of a Tales EX dungeon. Chances are they're really really bad.

demidar

You should never expect anything out of a Tales EX dungeon. Chances are they're really really bad.

As much as I love Vesperia, that Ex Dungeon was pure trash. Black and white carbon copies of areas all around the game that aren't even tied logically without an in game map? Terribad all around, but necessary to trudge through to fight the cameo battles :/

aravuus

Yeah. The way Jude acts at the start of chapter 4 didn't really bother me too much. He was a pretty mature character earlierm and the way he acts makes you realize that he's still a child deep down which I liked when you reach that part. I think it was pulled off well, but I can understand a lot of people not liking it at the same time.

The only thing that made me "rage" was
the stuff that happens to Leia since I'm a fan of her lol

I definitely understand why he acted the way he did, no doubt about that. Doesn't change the fact that I hated that part :lol

But yeah, it was quickly over so no permanent damage done!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't do any comparisons in one way or another. Not to other RPGs or Tales games or video games in general or books or movies or whatever else is telling a story. It's not like I can force myself to enjoy the narrative more if I only rank it against other Tales games (or things with a possibly worse narrative
Sword Art Online
).

The stories in Tales games pretty much all blend together anyway. Graces was only a year ago (my GotY, believe it or not) and I could not tell you for the life of me what that one was about and why exactly I hated the story so much. Though, I could easily do some wild guesses considering how the same complaints apply to all Tales games anyway, precisely because they all use the same stale, half-baked, run-of-the-mill Anime formula that is targeting a specific demographic I'm not part of anymore.

Point is, saying that Xillia has a better plot than other games in the series might be true, but to make such a statement you need at least some very basic appreciation for the stories these games offer and I simply don't have that. To me they are all uniformly unbearable.

Aside from that it seems like we are pretty much on the same page. Everything you say about the series I agree with. The wonderful battle system is the reason I will always buy a new Tales game and some bits and pieces outside of the battles aren't so bad either.
I'm actually starting to feel this way myself. I'm 25, and while there are other people in this thread who are older than I am, or the same age as I am who appreciate this sort of formula and completely dig it, I just don't. And that's because I've seen a lot of the stuff that Tales games include in different games and anime that have probably either done the story better, or they've just been done and done to death that I just don't care enough about it, or find humour in it anymore. From a narrative perspective, I'm not really the target audience for these games anymore, and I probably shouldn't be considering the bulk of people who buy these games tend to have a different mindset. If people older than I am or the same age as I am totally love the narrative/plot/character direction in these games, that's perfectly fine, too. Everyone's totally welcome to like and dislike whatever they want because different tastes exist and are certainly welcome to engage in the conversation.

But I can totally see where you're coming from with respect to not feeling like the narrative in any Tales game appeals to you. Sometimes I feel the same way and ignore the narrative and focus on the stuff that I do like in terms of levelling and battling. Even then, I can't help but to feel a little disappointed that I'm enthusiastically enjoying what is, essentially, only half of the game.

Though the battle/customization is why I keep importin' 'em. Not for the story or anything, but because they tend to be fun. And regardless of my criticisms, I did have fun with Xillia's normal battles, and learning the ins/outs of the systems despite the game being incredibly easy to break. Like I said, RPG junk food. Totally palatable and fun to enjoy, but they just leave you wanting more.

So to get the best weapons you need to beat the EX dungeon boss thus leaving you with no one to destroy them with? =[

You only have to beat the first EX dungeon boss.

After clearing that, the dungeon opens up to have more floors and stronger version of the boss. I believe there are two more rounds of you clearing the progressively longer and longer EX dungeon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just cleared the EX dungeon
I was lv 80 and at first I thought the boss was a pushover, but then he started splitting and during the 3rd fight I was on the edge of my seat lol. That was a cool boos.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just cleared the EX dungeon
I was lv 80 and at first I thought the boss was a pushover, but then he started splitting and during the 3rd fight I was on the edge of my seat lol. That was a cool boos.
Hah, I just got killed there because of my inferior party and my love of permanently linking with Leia to steal stuff.

MilkBeard

Yeah it's funny, the story is kind of bland in Xillia, although what carries it of course are the character interactions and the general feel of the world (I love the town design).

You know...I'm going to tell a little secret. I stopped caring about JRPG storylines a long time ago. If a game happens to hook me with a good story, then that's awesome, but by and large, the stories in these games are nothing special, mostly reused, bland, full of holes, etc. I made amends with that quite some time ago, so perhaps that is why I can play through Xillia and enjoy it for what it does well, which is the battle system, skits, and world feel.

Tales is basically the JRPG equivalent of television shows that a lot of people seem to get into. I just can't get into tv shows because they are...you guessed it, bland, full of holes, rushed, reused over and over. I guess it is just the format that gets me. I like JRPGs so I can handle it in that form if the mechanics are good and they provide decent character development.

Top Bottom