• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia |OT| - Teach me about Bazongas!

ohlawd

Uhm, I cant be the only one weirded out by Rowen and Alvin fighting for Elizes love. I mean, wtf... I dont even know what to say about that. Very creepy.

Also, fuck Ivar. For now at least. Cant stand him.

You must be joking if you think both of them were serious.

At least you got Ivar right. I'll spoil you though; he never gets better :D

So should I just always wait to level up shops until they have a x3?

Also, any good suggestions on setting character strategies? It seems like my characters just always quickly blow their TP until they get down to whatever I set them to conserve and then just sit there at that level

Depends on if you are willing to wait or grind out more materials.

Uh, I usually kept TP at 50% or so. Also depends on how often they use their artes. But later on, TP recovery becomes a lot easier.

george_us

I wish Namco had the balls to tell the story in skits and the in-game dialog, as those are single-handily saving the story and characters from being total dog shit since the cutscenes are dreadful. Milla
getting captured and felt up by the big tittied cat lady
was unintentionally hilarious. The battle system and soundtrack are decent steps up from Vesperia though, which is nice.

Grinding while linked with Leia is like the best thing ever.

1) Go to an enemy and hit 'em a few times to knock them down
2) Leia will Steal (I get Lemon Gels now)
3) your dual Arte meter fills up
4) Dual Arte, often finishig the enemy off

Rinse and repeat. I make sure to sell my Lemon Gels. It's like getting a bonus 1000 gald per battle.

Must say, I'm really liking this game so far. Really addicting gameplay, everyone is a blast to play as. I thought I was going to main Alvin but then Leia showed up. Elize and Rowan are also fun to play as. This is the first tales of game that I'm actually not playing as the main and I don't have the main character in my team. Mila keeps on dying and Jude...well, the others are better character wise. The characters are great so far and those skits are really enjoyable. The only one thing I can't figure out is chaining a link arte. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. Probably have to reread the battle manual.

So much Ivar hate. Guy reminds me of Zagi from Vesperia so I kinda like him because of that.

Also found a dungeon where you can easily grind after the dungeon when you get Leia. Abusing elemental weapons, food that gives you 30%-100% experience, and surprise attacks; gained 5 levels in less than 20 minutes fighting
the golems in Old Vicalle Mines. Used Leia, Alvin, Rowan, and Eliza. Turn on increase in earth defense, link, spam wind attacks while Eliza heals, and it's really easy to win.
But I bet this has been found way before. I was about to grind for an additional hour but I don't want the game to be too easy...

PKrockin

Must say, I'm really liking this game so far. Really addicting gameplay, everyone is a blast to play as. I thought I was going to main Alvin but then Leia showed up. Elize and Rowan are also fun to play as. This is the first tales of game that I'm actually not playing as the main and I don't have the main character in my team. Mila keeps on dying and Jude...well, the others are better character wise. The characters are great so far and those skits are really enjoyable. The only one thing I can't figure out is chaining a link arte. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. Probably have to reread the battle manual.

So much Ivar hate. Guy reminds me of Zagi from Vesperia so I kinda like him because of that.

Also found a dungeon where you can easily grind after the dungeon when you get Leia. Abusing elemental weapons, food that gives you 30%-100% experience, and surprise attacks; gained 5 levels in less than 20 minutes fighting
the golems in Old Vicalle Mines. Used Leia, Alvin, Rowan, and Eliza. Turn on increase in earth defense, link, spam win attacks while Eliza heals, and it's really easy to win.
But I bet this has been found way before. I was about to grind for an additional hour but I don't want the game to be too easy...

When the link meter on the left is full and you do a link arte, you go into overlimit. In overlimit you and your link partner don't flinch from attacks and don't lose AC. Also you can combo link artes together until overlimit runs out (that's what Chain Chance means). You can even chain a link arte with one link partner into a link arte with a different link partner, like Final Gale > Demonic Chaos. Just quickly switch partners before inputting the next link arte.

ohlawd

Is there a limit to chaining link artes? I don't think I've done more than 4-5 and I'm pretty sure I have the right inputs.

PKrockin

There's no limit, just can't repeat the same one.

I've noticed sometimes activating a link arte will make me instantly lose a little bit of overlimit. Usually happens on a second use of Rising Falcon + Alvin (Soaring Falcon?) I'd start with Soaring Falcon, chain Demonic Chaos and Force Blast, let the chain drop, use Rising Falcon and activate Soaring Falcon again and the instant it activates my overlimit drops slightly.

Artemisia

Banned
Leia just joined and I had like 30 something GP to spend.

Reminds me of the grand feeling of possibility found in FFXII, when a new character joins and you have to allocate their 200+ LP.

r9fN6.gif

When the link meter on the left is full and you do a link arte, you go into overlimit. In overlimit you and your link partner don't flinch from attacks and don't lose AC. Also you can combo link artes together until overlimit runs out (that's what Chain Chance means). You can even chain a link arte with one link partner into a link arte with a different link partner, like Final Gale > Demonic Chaos. Just quickly switch partners before inputting the next link arte.
Aw, I see now. Thank you for the detail reply! I'll try this next time I play

demidar

The dark middle chapter of the game was almost too much simping I could handle. It really is the worst thing in this game, by far. Sure it was brief, but it was too intense for me. I'm glad he at least got kicked by the other guy, what a dumbass.

FSLink

Banned
I've noticed sometimes activating a link arte will make me instantly lose a little bit of overlimit. Usually happens on a second use of Rising Falcon + Alvin (Soaring Falcon?) I'd start with Soaring Falcon, chain Demonic Chaos and Force Blast, let the chain drop, use Rising Falcon and activate Soaring Falcon again and the instant it activates my overlimit drops slightly.
That's intentional. You're supposed to use different link artes to make the most of it.

So I just learned about the bazongas. Good times.

Also, I really like the item customization options. I'm really sad that the Tales games have sort of removed the plethora of in-game costumes and instead try to get you to buy DLC, but the random items you get and the ability to position them is an almost as good replacement.

demidar

So I just learned about the bazongas. Good times.

Also, I really like the item customization options. I'm really sad that the Tales games have sort of removed the plethora of in-game costumes and instead try to get you to buy DLC, but the random items you get and the ability to position them is an almost as good replacement.

I sure would love a new costume to replace Milla's terrible default one. That's right, I think it's terrible. I guess that's how they get you to buy DLC costumes!

I gave Elize Hat Hair (which looks like hair swept back) and a Swordsman's Eyepatch and now she looks like Xiahou Dun aka badass.

MilkBeard

Just passed act 2. At 28 hours...I'm slow, but the game is picking up a lot!

Hah. I'm still in act 2 and nearing 40 hours. I take my time. I have let the game sit while browsing for a couple of hours though.

EDIT: Speak of the devil. JUST beat the Ptero-thingy and got the second trophy. About 40 hours. Characters are level 33-34. Moderate difficulty. That boss was fairly easy. Hard to hit at first, but he went down.

Esura

Banned
Do anyone have any combo guides or something for Milla? I want to make some sick combo videos....once I get some sort of video capturing device of course and attempt to get Milla at level 99. Is there any way to do 1 damage only in this game like other Tales of?

Milla's reaction. Priceless.

She didn't know Jude was that type of man. :p

Seriously, how do I get to the generators on the cruise ship! I have no single clue where to go!

Go to the starboard side, which is accessible from down the stairs from where the closed off area you left.The generators are at the very end of those intertwining hallways. You'll know you are there in the right area when you keep hearing the radio go off.

MilkBeard

Do anyone have any combo guides or something for Milla? I want to make some sick combo videos....once I get some sort of video capturing device of course and attempt to get Milla at level 99. Is there any way to do 1 damage only in this game like other Tales of?

There is a minimum damage skill that sets damage to 1.

heiyu

just cleared the game. 44 minutes the last battle.
loved seeing AI atacking Muzet while she was guarding and she regains half hp again. i played on hard all game and only last boss was in "another" level.

I sure would love a new costume to replace Milla's terrible default one. That's right, I think it's terrible. I guess that's how they get you to buy DLC costumes!

I have her in the pre-order DLC Stahn costume. I'm really waiting for the Dhaos one to come out so I can buy it, since I think it looks kickass.

Bladenic

just cleared the game. 44 minutes the last battle.
loved seeing AI atacking Muzet while she was guarding and she regains half hp again. i played on hard all game and only last boss was in "another" level.

She uses items. Should have used Leia to steal :p

What's the best way to get rare monsters again?

heiyu

i failed the first time cuz i didnt had her. the second time when i cleared still took me 44 minutes because when they got low they would go zerk and leia would die for a few seconds and believe me when i say that AI used that short time ALWAYS to use items. and ofc the guard was a pain in the ass. getting half hp back with 4,5 hits is so unfair

So I just reached a very, very special part of the story. Oh man, though, a LOT of fighting. Since I overleveled myself for the previous boss, it was actually really easy. I think I'm going to redo those lengthy battles with a 100% EXP bonus food item.

On that note, it is disappointing that there is no "100% EXP AND Gald Bonus" food (the highest is 50%). It leaves me with the hard decision of whether to boost my exp or gald a lot, or boost them both a little.

When grinding, I like doing linked encounters. After doing a few of them, a Bakura ALWAYS shows up for me when I move to the next area.

Finalow

Leia is ok but her "story" with
Agria
made me cringe, thank god it endend without much dialogues.

is the sidequest about those 23 dark orbs and the transcendental ring related to Xillia 2? I mean
after you beat the bosses of the quest those 2 shrine maidens say something about a "we are the lord of the underworld sealed by Maxwell".
or maybe it's just related to the lore of the series.
anyone? I'm kinda curious.
*kininarimasu*

ohlawd

Leia is not just OK. u crazy?

She's a beautiful goddess. She's like a giant lake for a town that hasn't seen rain in a century.

demidar

It's surprising that Leia doesn't have any aerial Skills and the Milla has them all, considering most of her skills work in the air, and some even better like Soaring Blast. I also found out that if you do an up attack on a downed enemy you force them to stand back up again without breaking your combo or taking reduced damage as a result of being on the floor. Knowing this it greatly extends Leia's combos by dashing forward after hitting the ground, forcing them to stand up then knocking them into the air again.

Finished the game today. It certainly was a Tales game! Looked like one and sounded like one, played like one and made me cringe like one.
It's a bummer that Vesperia is still the prettiest Tales game to date. Xillia just looks so flat and empty and stiff and lifeless and boring. Some terrible framedrops during battle, too. I do appreciate how fast everything loads, but I just have to assume at some point Xillia was still supposed to come out on Wii until Bamco had that genius revelation that Tales games work best on PS3. Overall I don't find the technical shortcomings too offensive or distracting, but I would certainly not mind some progress. These games will start to look pretty odd once the next-gen arrives.
Story was nothing special. Which is to say, it is appropriately awful. At this point I'm half-convinced characters and story in Tales games are procedurally generated by some machine. It's always the same crap, barely anything that genuinely works for me on any level. I enjoyed the skits, but there's no way I could get invested in the central conflict. Nothing I can relate to, borderline nonsensical at times, trying too hard at other times, way too stretched out.

That said, I'm not surprised about any of this. It's a Tales game after all and despite all that I had a good time. The battle system is just too much fun and there's that classic JRPG charm that always gets me. I'm already looking forward to Xillia 2.

DAMMIT DAMMIT

THIS DAMN EX DUNGEON BOSS!

First one = Not too bad.

*two of them show up = difficult, but not impossible.

*three of them show up = NOPE.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Go to the starboard side, which is accessible from down the stairs from where the closed off area you left.The generators are at the very end of those intertwining hallways. You'll know you are there in the right area when you keep hearing the radio go off.

That's what I'm trying to do but there's boxes blocking me in the second area. There's one I can jump on but it doesn't go anywhere.

demidar

That's what I'm trying to do but there's boxes blocking me in the second area. There's one I can jump on but it doesn't go anywhere.

Did you hop on the teleporter? It's in a room that looks like a bar.

Err, actually never mind. There's only one way to get to the generators and it's on the top (with reference to the map screen) path. You can only get to the bottom right generator from the top right (also through a teleporter).

Bladenic

I'm now realizing I need to use the map more...

Edit: God I love Force Wave.

Me too though I haven't seen it in forever since my end game party of Jude and the 3 ladies is just too good. Jude/Milla and Jude/Leia have the best link artes too, though I like a lot of others too. Tempest Piroutte is just too awesome, especially following Tornado Blade.

Finished the game today. It certainly was a Tales game! Looked like one and sounded like one, played like one and made me cringe like one.
It's a bummer that Vesperia is still the prettiest Tales game to date. Xillia just looks so flat and empty and stiff and lifeless and boring. Some terrible framedrops during battle, too. I do appreciate how fast everything loads, but I just have to assume at some point Xillia was still supposed to come out on Wii until Bamco had that genius revelation that Tales games work best on PS3. Overall I don't find the technical shortcomings too offensive or distracting, but I would certainly not mind some progress. These games will start to look pretty odd once the next-gen arrives.
Story was nothing special. Which is to say, it is appropriately awful. At this point I'm half-convinced characters and story in Tales games are procedurally generated by some machine. It's always the same crap, barely anything that genuinely works for me on any level. I enjoyed the skits, but there's no way I could get invested in the central conflict. Nothing I can relate to, borderline nonsensical at times, trying too hard at other times, way too stretched out.

That said, I'm not surprised about any of this. It's a Tales game after all and despite all that I had a good time. The battle system is just too much fun and there's that classic JRPG charm that always gets me. I'm already looking forward to Xillia 2.

Actually xillia was made from the ground up for ps3 they just didn't have time to finish what they wanted to do because their original project was too huge.
And just so you know the slowdowns have been mostly corrected in the sequel.

Artemisia

Banned
I wish the game would automatically place you in the right position to hit the enemy when you use link artes. It's so hard to chain them because many of them push the enemy away.

Rhapsody

Banned
Actually xillia was made from the ground up for ps3 they just didn't have time to finish what they wanted to do because their original project was too huge.
And just so you know the slowdowns have been mostly corrected in the sequel.

The one slowdown that gets me (outside of battles) is when there are scenes with a lot of smoke/mist/fog in both Xillias. I guess that's probably due to bad programming/optimizing since nothing impressive is going on.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hey, fuck you, Jude! WTF?

EDIT: Well that was a fast as fuck way to become the worst main character in Tales!

Edit2:
So Muzet is a villain now?

EDIT3: WHAT THE FUCK!

Holmes

And I got the platinum. :) My time for Jude's playthrough was just under five and a half hours (hard to tell because the in-game clock didn't reset in NG+). Loved this game, probably my second or third favourite Tales after Vesperia (and Phantasia). I'm going to wait until Xillia 2 to officially rank it though, because I want to see this world's story and the characters stories concluded first. Game did have flaws obviously, and was missing some traditional Tales tropes, although in true Tales fashion,
the final boss(es) sucked.
Oh well, loved every moment of this game. Next up is Symphonia HD! (Unless the Vesperia PS3 English patch is released first..... I might have just jinxed it.)

aravuus

Hey, fuck you, Jude! WTF?

EDIT: Well that was a fast as fuck way to become the worst main character in Tales!

Edit2:
So Muzet is a villain now?

EDIT3: WHAT THE FUCK!

If you are where I think you are, it thankfully gets better fast.

Man, I really feel like I'm the only one who liked the developments at the start of Chapter 4.

Very likely lol

Top Bottom